Beekyr Reloaded : The new Apidya?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kaleidogames

Beekyr Reloaded : The new Apidya?

Post by Kaleidogames »

Beekyr Reloaded has been out for a couple of weeks and it has very high ratings and people is really enjoying the game. It's crazy that some players are cataloguing it as: ONE OF THE BEST SHMUPS OF ALL TIME. I can't say I haven't tried developing such a thing but my efforts will be in vane if you don't try it out.

Remember Apidya? Factor 5 / Kaiko guys love this game and are helping out with the promo in sites and retro magazines!

There is a whole new unexplored world with shmups + insects /alive stuff. We have great games in artificial space stations / robots / aeroplanes but I think you should really really try Beekyr Reloaded out. It is likely I won't disappoint and it has a ton of things that can't be done with generic shoot'em up games.

Also I wanted to tell you this game is attracting new players to the genre and you should be proud to fight against new shmup players! Let's open this niche awesome game genre and make it a little bit more mainstream.

Having said this I wish you all the best! Here is the link to the game:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/48493 ... _Reloaded/

Let me know your thoughts.
CloudyMusic

Re: Beekyr Reloaded : The new Apidya?

Post by CloudyMusic »

Kaleidogames wrote:Beekyr Reloaded has been out for a couple of weeks and it has very high ratings and people is really enjoying the game. It's crazy that some players are cataloguing it as: ONE OF THE BEST SHMUPS OF ALL TIME.
Well, uh, this sort of claim made me go check out the user reviews. I'm sure you're very proud of your game -- as every developer should be -- but it seems like you might find it a little hard to accept criticism. You responded to a negative review with a link to some random Twitch streamers enjoying the game...as though that invalidates the reviewer's opinion? You're not the first indie shmup developer to have that trait, and it almost never ends well. (Oh wait, you're this guy. There's even a post I made in that thread 2 years ago that's still relevant here.)

Without having played it, the game looks...fine? Reasonably well-polished in the graphics and sound department, but the actual gameplay seems really shallow unless there's something going on that's not obvious from the gameplay clips I've seen. Is there much to say beyond "dodge bullets, kill enemies for points"? If not, it'd be hard to justify buying it when there are other, deeper games available for the same price or less. If you'd like more detailed feedback, if there's a demo version available or you felt like giving out some review codes, I'd be willing to give it a spin for an hour or two.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Kaleidogames wrote:It's crazy that some players are cataloguing it as: ONE OF THE BEST SHMUPS OF ALL TIME.
I couldn't agree more.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Kaleidogames wrote:There is a whole new unexplored world with shmups + insects /alive stuff.
I mean I thought the Mushihimesama games did a pretty good job...
Kaleidogames

Post by Kaleidogames »

Hey Keres thanks for answering!
Keres wrote:Well, uh, this sort of claim made me go check out the user reviews. I'm sure you're very proud of your game -- as every developer should be -- but it seems like you might find it a little hard to accept criticism.
Did you see I fixed what he mentioned? I accept criticism, I rethink and fix or explain whatever I could which was most of the things he pointed out. That's what every developer should do. Right?
On the other hand there are other comments like "I'm not a fan of the artwork" which is criticism at all. It's just an opinion and there is nothing I can do there as the artwork is pretty good now but it wasn't in the 2014 NON-RELOADED version.
Keres wrote:Without having played it, the game looks...fine? Reasonably well-polished in the graphics and sound department, but the actual gameplay seems really shallow unless there's something going on that's not obvious from the gameplay clips I've seen. Is there much to say beyond "dodge bullets, kill enemies for points"?
Of course there is a lot of stuff there I just can't fit in 0.59 secs.
Keres wrote:If not, it'd be hard to justify buying it when there are other, deeper games available for the same price or less. If you'd like more detailed feedback, if there's a demo version available or you felt like giving out some review codes, I'd be willing to give it a spin for an hour or two.
Of course again there are really awesome games out there. But not many about nature and insects killing each other. :evil:
Sorry I already gave 2 keys in this forums in the dev section but they are already taken. Sorry!
Kaleidogames

Post by Kaleidogames »

cave hermit wrote:
Kaleidogames wrote:There is a whole new unexplored world with shmups + insects /alive stuff.
I mean I thought the Mushihimesama games did a pretty good job...
Yep that's one of the nice games I said before!
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Kaleidogames wrote:
Keres wrote:Without having played it, the game looks...fine? Reasonably well-polished in the graphics and sound department, but the actual gameplay seems really shallow unless there's something going on that's not obvious from the gameplay clips I've seen. Is there much to say beyond "dodge bullets, kill enemies for points"?
Of course there is a lot of stuff there I just can't fit in 0.59 secs.
Can you explain here, then? The store description mostly just focuses on the number of levels and the difficulty modes, not the actual gameplay mechanics, if there are any. "It's insect-themed" doesn't mean anything to me, because I already own two Mushihimesama games.
Kaleidogames

Post by Kaleidogames »

Keres wrote:Can you explain here, then? The store description mostly just focuses on the number of levels and the difficulty modes, not the actual gameplay mechanics, if there are any. "It's insect-themed" doesn't mean anything to me, because I already own two Mushihimesama games.
Oh crap translators didn't upgrade the latest descriptions, in English it says:
The giant hornets have destroyed your hive and taken the pollen. Fight the swarms alone or with a friend and destroy the dangerous hornet queen! The insect world is very dangerous but... what are you waiting for to get your revenge?
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Kaleidogames wrote:Remember Apidya? Factor 5 / Kaiko guys love this game and are helping out with the promo in sites and retro magazines!
Factor 5 or Kaiko?

Factor 5 had nothing to do with Apidya, it's just Hülsbeck who was active in both teams. Probably a good thing, because as much of technical wizards the F5 guys were, their level-design skills were just slightly above average, as can easily be seen in the console Turricans which were nice enough but weren't a patch on M. Trenz's superior game design from the first two games.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Here is what Beekyr Reloaded plays like on expert. Looks fun in a euroshmup way. Destructible bullets and it switches from hori to vertical kind of like Salamander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RB_sZqYJps
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Kaleidogames wrote:
Keres wrote:Can you explain here, then? The store description mostly just focuses on the number of levels and the difficulty modes, not the actual gameplay mechanics, if there are any. "It's insect-themed" doesn't mean anything to me, because I already own two Mushihimesama games.
Oh crap translators didn't upgrade the latest descriptions, in English it says:
The giant hornets have destroyed your hive and taken the pollen. Fight the swarms alone or with a friend and destroy the dangerous hornet queen! The insect world is very dangerous but... what are you waiting for to get your revenge?
That doesn't explain the gameplay mechanics at all.
AFXisatwin wrote:Here is what Beekyr Reloaded plays like on expert. Looks fun in a euroshmup way. Destructible bullets and it switches from hori to vertical kind of like Salamander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RB_sZqYJps
Thanks for this. Like I thought, it seems mostly "fine." Nothing particularly amazing, but it looks and sounds decent, and probably plays as well as a typical Steam euroshmup. Gameplay does just seem to be "collect shot powerups and shoot stuff," but I do like the stage variety, like the inclusion of high-speed stages and maybe even the dark stages.

"One of the best shmups of all time" is kind of absurd, though.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

i) Well done for making this; there seems to be some clean, purposeful and consistent design and implementation.

ii) If you don't like the classical (?) euro shump approach, there's nothing here for you.

iii) Personally I don't like it at all; I don't identify with the aesthetic chosen, the theme, and find the whole thing irritating ... I'd liken it to seeing someone playing one of those leapster things - even if it is fine, and age appropriate - you've got an uncontrollable urge to slap it out of their hands and direct them to something properly good. But you don't, because it'd be mean spirited and is an over reaction. And the kid may not even recognise the differences ... but the urge remains...

Rather than the flippant cheap-flat-modern-sat-morning-cartoon-tv look I'd really have matured the apidya influence by pursuing some kind of look (that for some reason) I'm referencing to soul bubbles on the ds. And provided just a small hook with the presentation of a character or two.

For all players I'm not going to directly criticise your play pacing since this is kind of a euro shump 'feature', but it does seem to be somewhat more plodding until you meet a boss... Perhaps some kind of sheild/bullet cancel/time effect could enable you to vary up the basic levels a bit more.

For keener players I think there needs to be more scoring emphasis.

iv) Don't try to even ironically claim you're possibly the best ever. You can see it's put people's backs up :) A much more successful route to your receptive audience is to up-play the spirit of your development, and relate that via materials/reviews/opinions that are reflective of your influences. Even if others are keen on your game don't try to detail their involvement; it just comes across as desperate since not matter how supportive they may be, they had nothing to do with making the actual game - offer them as testimonials/seal of approval type stickers/old magazine like bylines. Don't pitch yourself against an old game, or the next version of it. We all know the qualitative comparison isn't an even playing field. Just mention it as a key influence. Pay homage, and get that recognition, don't try and overtake.

v) Please see i) because I'm not trying to be a dick.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Another day, another game that doesn't have super fancy scoring thrown under the bus.

From the video, the game looks pretty good, I like the numerous bonus items and targets... it makes me think of a horizontal Space Moth. But it also looks a bit easy. Hopefully there are reasonable difficulties or something like that.

I don't know about Vortex Attack specifically (it totally looks like a wacky Llamasoft or old vector game though), but the developer's point from a couple of years ago has been valid for years now, and is certainly valid for this game. If there's anything wrong with Beekyr Reloaded, it's not apparent from the video at all. Hate on bad games all you like, but when you dog a perfectly acceptable game like this, you might wanna rethink why you actually care about this genre. If you're actually capable of doing that, you're not going to like the answer you arrive at. also mathu contaminated the fuck out of that thread

Like, when you're getting obviously junk reviews like this, the very first thing you do is put aside any notions of constructive criticism. Ideally, you ignore this garbage entirely, but a tiny one-man show can't really afford to do that. If you think most reviews aren't like this, you're already a liar. Especially on Steam, too many people think the review section is to express their special snowflake opinion, and not to let buyers be aware of whether the game actually works and is playable or not. Fans of this genre really oughta know better, after years and years of seeing "professionals" completely write off great games because they "didn't like the graphics" or "limited continues make the game too hard"/"unlimited continues make the game too easy" or other nonsense. and then go back to praising ikaruga as the beginning and end of the genre as if their jobs depend on it
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
d0s

Post by d0s »

genre def needs more wack eurogames thanks for your contribution OP
Kaleidogames

Post by Kaleidogames »

Thanks!

Here is someone completing Elite mode. I think the video looks great. You get exactly the idea of what kind of game Beekyr Reloaded can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aElq0iZJB1g

There are 4 slots left now to get your Elite mode unique price.

Enjoy the video
Kaleidogames

Post by Kaleidogames »

There are 3 free slots now!

More info here:
http://www.kaleidogames.com/beekyr-elite-mode/
FRO

Post by FRO »

I'm getting a bit of an Insector X vibe here, which is a good thing. Looking forward to seeing this release on the Switch :D
silvergunner

Post by silvergunner »

Beekyr Reloaded will launch on switch in europe friday,15.06. for 9,99€ :D
silvergunner

Post by silvergunner »

It´s a nice Indie-Shmup for sure but it`s exaggerated to mention it`s one of the best shmups of all time :lol:
Kaleidogames

Post by Kaleidogames »

Yeah it is exaggerated but that what the user felt in that moment and I think it is still very cool. But also I keep having great feedback from Steam's version.
Lots and lots of new players are joining the hi-scores and it feels really great.

There are lots of players with over 20h, but there is a smaller group of hardcore shmupers playing over 100h fighting for the Elite mode. Which is exactly why I created it. Most players top are Japanese but only some one from Canada and another from Spain have been able to reach this top level.
If you play it , keep in mind this will take you a few good attempts, the game is hard (but not unfair).

djsheep

Post by djsheep »

Easily NOT one of the best shmups of all time.

Carry on with the hype.
Kaleidogames

Post by Kaleidogames »

Hey have you played it?
Marc

Post by Marc »

I really like the look of this on Switch actually, really looks like Apidya, which I enjoyed back in the day. Prolly pick up next payday.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Kaleidogames

Post by Kaleidogames »

Thanks.

Mind you Switch version might look similar but wasn't developed by us as we are the one holding rights to publish anything related to Apidya inside Beekyr Reloaded. So, if you really want to play as Ikuro (from Apidya) you will need to play Steam's version.

We are having great response from Switch players, we're considering porting it to XBOX and PS. But we will need the devkits first hopefully we'll get them at some point.