AKA TO BLUE (Red and Blue) out on iOS and Android. CAVE devs

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
tzakiel

AKA TO BLUE (Red and Blue) out on iOS and Android. CAVE devs

Post by tzakiel »

Former CAVE devs have formed the company Tanoshimasu and released a shmup for iOS and Android. I got my copy, excited to try it out.

http://tanoshimasu.com/aka-to-blue/
wasilewski

Re: AKA TO BLUE (Red and Blue) out on iOS and Android. CAVE

Post by wasilewski »

I got this yesterday and it's really good. The pace of the game is more suited to the touchscreen, I always felt that Bug Princess 2, ESPGaluda etc, were a little too easy because of the speed you could drag your character to dodge the bullets.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Got this and liking so far. I had one of my friends who tried it out. His complaint with the touch screen shooters is the ships move to fast. Otherwise he liked the graphics and gameplay. We just wish it was not auto shoot.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
geremy

Post by geremy »

You can make the ship less responsive and turn off autofire in the settings.
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

I just suck at these games I guess because the fast movement has never helped me. If anything I feel like I get in more trouble hitting things from flicking fast. I can't beat any cave or cave like mobile game unfortunately.
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

this seems like a really nice game and as its written for mobile devices they seem to have ironed out some of the arcade to mobile problems, love the 3d backgrounds that are basically iso 2d. why oh why cant they release this for the pc or consoles as i would pay again just to use a damn joystick!
kuze

Post by kuze »

There's gotta be a way to map a joystick to touch input on android, so you could play this with a controller.

Pretty good game so far, but using the touch screen for movement doesn't work very well IMO.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Awesome game, love the aggressive bomb mechanics.
Don't have any problems with touch controls...in most situations it's better to just slightly tilt your thumb and avoid twitchy movement.
I'm not the best danmaku player but stage 4 is brutal...will take me a while :twisted:
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

My only real issue control-wise is that I tend to get my finger in spots where it obscures the screen on my phone (galaxy s7) which causes issues, especially later on in some patterns when you get bullets coming up from behind.

The controls themselves feel pretty spot-on to me, least much as this control style can. I would love to eventually see some kind of a port or even an update to the mobile versions that allow for traditional pad/stick controls.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

It's a well-made game.
I love touch controls for STG but yeah... thumbs always in the way.
It's a huge downside to the control method.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Just got a new smartphone and thought this would make for an nice experiment to figure out if its capable of playing games.

Last time I read about this game people complained about a missing western release, so I was surprised to find this on the local app store. Is that a translation or is the game in japanese?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Eisenhans

Post by Eisenhans »

ryu wrote:Is that a translation or is the game in japanese?
Menu texts, options etc have been translated, the in-game story voice overs are japanese.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Eisenhans wrote:
ryu wrote:Is that a translation or is the game in japanese?
Menu texts, options etc have been translated, the in-game story voice overs are japanese.
Thanks for letting me know!
Then let's see what happens when I purchase the game from the japanese store. I'm not familiar with this ecosystem at all...
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Still trying to get past the very last boss on stage 5...
Did anyone complete all 5 stages? Is there are second/harder loop?
ReSe2k

Post by ReSe2k »

Downloaded it today and played a bit. Looks really cool from what I've seen so far. The Bullet patterns a surprisingly difficult for a mobile shmup i think. I'm just really not used to touch controls.

Do you guys use your Finger or Thumb to control your ship?
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Thumb, slightly under the ship. When bullets come from behind I lift my thumb and put it on or to the side of the ship.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Can someone who has purchased this please confirm it works without a data connection? Toggle to airplane mode and start it please.
geremy

Post by geremy »

Works fine in airplane mode here.
Eisenhans

Post by Eisenhans »

Kyle wrote:Can someone who has purchased this please confirm it works without a data connection? Toggle to airplane mode and start it please.
Works offline on Android.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Thanks! I purchased it. It is running well on my Nexus 6P since there was some discusssion on specs.
nash87

Post by nash87 »

Necronom wrote:Still trying to get past the very last boss on stage 5...
Upon beating stage 5 you get an ending story and credits. Not sure if each character has their own ending as I can only beat it with Red, cannot get a hang of Blue and her bomb. After the credits screen resolves it turns autobomb off. Didn't notice anything else. I had to buy a stylus to beat the game with Red, fixed all issues I had with the touch controls.
GaijinPunch wrote:Someone PM me when we have to play w/ the stick up our asses.
"shrimps in my eyes! I cannot see!"
XBLA: h8erfisternator
egg_sanwich

Post by egg_sanwich »

nash87 wrote:
Necronom wrote:Still trying to get past the very last boss on stage 5...
Upon beating stage 5 you get an ending story and credits. Not sure if each character has their own ending as I can only beat it with Red, cannot get a hang of Blue and her bomb. After the credits screen resolves it turns autobomb off. Didn't notice anything else. I had to buy a stylus to beat the game with Red, fixed all issues I had with the touch controls.

Great idea on the stylus. I'm struggling with the touch controls - my fat finger blocks the view and I get inconsistent "sticking". A stylus sounds like a good solution.
ProcoTaito

Post by ProcoTaito »

Yeah I bought this game and can confirm it is super bad ass! One of my friends who loves shmups but doesn't really like mobile games even thought it was pretty damn awesome!

Well worth the asking price if your phone can handle it. I'm playing it on an LG Stylo 3 and it runs great for me. Amazing game!
A Silverhawk pilot says....
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashimi!!
100% PERFECT☆

Post by 100% PERFECT☆ »

Good to see some other peeps playing this game. Still trying to get past the final level personally but I love it so far. Can't say I'm the greatest at getting a high score but so far trying to is fun.
Let's be real. Casper is pretty hot regardless of age, even if Rosa is the superior gril.

~Rena 2K17
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Haven't played in a week or so, but it is a very high-quality shmup for mobile. I have problems with the screen size of my phone, and what feels like excessive heat on my finger tip, but that's not a knock against the game. It feels pretty well-suited to mobile, with the autobombs, destructible bullets, and the way you can zip around attacks thanks to your finger.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Similar to Dodonpachi Maximum.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Seems a lot like a mobile version of SDOJ to me. Which isn't a bad thing. Unfortunately, I don't have a single device that can play it, and trying to run it in an Android virtual environment doesn't work, either. Let's hope this gets a release on Steam or something.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Udderdude wrote:Seems a lot like a mobile version of SDOJ to me. Which isn't a bad thing. Unfortunately, I don't have a single device that can play it, and trying to run it in an Android virtual environment doesn't work, either. Let's hope this gets a release on Steam or something.
SDOJ has Hyper System. Aka To Blue has Charge Bombs..
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
kuze

Post by kuze »

nash87 wrote:I had to buy a stylus to beat the game with Red, fixed all issues I had with the touch controls.
Genius, this is exactly what I need to better enjoy this game.

It's hard having fat fingers! :oops: