Zero Gunner 2, Sengoku, Gunbird & Strikers on Switch!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Zero Gunner 2, Sengoku, Gunbird & Strikers on Switch!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Strikers 1999 (aka Strikers 1945 III in the USA) and Zero Gunner 2 are some of the better Psikyo titles. I think if Psikyo had developed/released a proper Gunbird 3 sequel, it'd have some more new characters introduced + a newfangled game mechanic to try your hand at + more crazier arching storylines between the entire roster of characters (but that wasn't meant to be as it was Dragon Blaze that was the final swan song in the Psikyo shmup catalog).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Special World wrote:What are the best Psikyo releases? I know Zero Gunner 2 and Gunbird 2 are dope. And I've played and enjoyed Strikers 1945.
Outside the games you listed, Dragon Blaze is my favorite.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Half of Dragon Blaze's screnshots are hideous and the other half are gorgeous. I look forward to playing it. Love a good fantasy shmup.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Psikyo - The company I love with the games I am mediocre at.

I've put a lot of time into the DC port of ZG 2, it is a fantastic game. Probably the title from their stable I am most comfortable with. Haven't cleared it, but have come close.
My lord, I have come for you.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Strikers 1999 (aka Strikers 1945 III in the USA) and Zero Gunner 2 are some of the better Psikyo titles. I think if Psikyo had developed/released a proper Gunbird 3 sequel, it'd have some more new characters introduced + a newfangled game mechanic to try your hand at + more crazier arching storylines between the entire roster of characters (but that wasn't meant to be as it was Dragon Blaze that was the final swan song in the Psikyo shmup catalog).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Psikyo? X-nauts Psikyo at present, but I am not sure if that company quits.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I know it's not really a shooter, but how do you guys feel about Gunbarich? I'm pretty whatever on ball and paddle games, but it seems like an especially good one. Does the score-chasing focus add a lot of enjoyment that other games in the genre don't have?
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
geremy

Post by geremy »

Has anyone seen a release date for zero gunner 2 yet?
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Nope and I keep checking all over the place. I'm strangely excited for this release.
szycag

Post by szycag »

What the hell is the deal with the TATE controls for Strikers? All rotating the controls does is switch direction keys, using analog stick and the d-pad buttons would be simple enough on the left joycon, but that option is strangely absent. Boohooing the lack of options as a whole really...

Seriously though, this is due for an easy patch for more control options. Surprisingly not that much weight holding it by just one joycon vertically either.
That is Galactic Dancing
rfisher

Post by rfisher »

I prop my switch up vertically with an old tablet stand I had lying around then just use the rotate screen option and keep the controls at normal. Once you back out of the setup menu you can control the game as normal with the joycons separate or on the grip. I prefer the grip.

Randy
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

So much for a few days or weeks. It has been months. What happened with multiple releases before the end of the year?

Zerodiv Where are you?
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

Yes it's very disappointing these games aren't coming out yet. I'm not sure if we'll see them this year, I've kind of forgotten about them now.

Lots of other shmups coming out on Switch though.
tjg92

Post by tjg92 »

Haha I'm looking forward to seeing how the fuck they'll port taisen hot gimmick.
szycag

Post by szycag »

I've figured out how the controls work on the Switch a little more since I made that post, but it would still be cool to have a way to have the joycons attached in portable mode and still be able to do TATE play. I'm going to look into a stand for portable mode though, even SMO wants you to have them detached while you play.
That is Galactic Dancing
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Gunbird is coming on December 7 in NA, and I'm sure other regions too.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

steveovig wrote:Gunbird is coming on December 7 in NA, and I'm sure other regions too.
Where was this posted?
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

It's in the Coming Soon section of the NA eShop
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

steveovig wrote:It's in the Coming Soon section of the NA eShop
Right on thanks for the heads up.
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

steveovig wrote:It's in the Coming Soon section of the NA eShop
Thank you so much - at last!!
CRP

Post by CRP »

DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

It's out now in Australia, shouldn't be too long before it's out in other regions if it's not already.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I just wanna know something, will Gunbird 2 feature the voice acting from the Japanese Dreamcast port? And will Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers still be a playable character here?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

That'd be up to Zerodiv to include that option & add the extra DC character of Morrigan in the upcoming Gunbird 2 port. If they don't, then it'll be a straight up arcade port of GB2 at best. The arcade PCB version of GB2 is quite ace to own/play.

I do see Gunbird up for sale on the North American Nintendo Switch eShop listing with a $7.99 USD price tag today 12/07/17. Will have to check to see if it supports tate mode or not.

Psikyo Gunbird PCB Factoid: It was Jaleco USA whom handled the distribution/sales of Gunbird jamma PCB conversion kits stateside complete with a Jaleco factory cardboard box to hold all the necessary kit components. The actual USA version GB PCB itself will have "May '95 USA" stickers placed on the various eproms to denote that it is different from it's JPN GB PCB counterpart indeed. A full sized non-backlit GB marquee was included along with an English language move strip + English manual as well. Am not sure if Jaleco USA did any game changes/revisions to the GB PCB though when it was released in the USA during that month.

I do recall playing Gunbird set up in a Dynamo upright cab at the Fresno, CA Blackbeard's water amusement park back in May of 1995. In fact, it had a "New Game" placard placed on top of the cabinet to advertise that it was a spanking brand new arcade game. I gave it a spin to see how the gameplay fared and found out it to be a stellar arcade STG in it's own right.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:That'd be up to Zerodiv to include that option & add the extra DC character of Morrigan in the upcoming Gunbird 2 port.
No, that would be up to Capcom.
xxx1993 wrote:I just wanna know something, will Gunbird 2 feature the voice acting from the Japanese Dreamcast port? And will Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers still be a playable character here?
I think it's safe to assume that these will all be fairly direct PCB dumps. No home port extras like art galleries or bonus characters.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

It has tate but you still can't play handheld tate because you can't assign buttons to the dpad or movement to the right stick. You can't play with only one joycon attached.
splitt442

Post by splitt442 »

Gunbird feels like a much better effort than Strikers. Controls can be customized and it seems like it was ported better. I dont have much experience with Gunbird 1 though so I may have no idea what I'm talking about.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm just gonna stick with the DC version of Gunbird 2, then. But Zero Gunner 2 is another story...
GSK

Post by GSK »

Kiken wrote:I think it's safe to assume that these will all be fairly direct PCB dumps. No home port extras like art galleries or bonus characters.
These aren't straight emulations, they've had a little more work put into them. This port has the extra VA from the Saturn version, for example.
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
I do recall playing Gunbird set up in a Dynamo upright cab at the Fresno, CA Blackbeard's water amusement park back in May of 1995. In fact, it had a "New Game" placard placed on top of the cabinet to advertise that it was a spanking brand new arcade game. I gave it a spin to see how the gameplay fared and found out it to be a stellar arcade STG in it's own right.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Just curious- how can you recall exactly where you were in May 1995? I’m genuinely curious how you remember specific months, games and locations.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

The sound mixing is all kinds of messed up. Sound effect levels go up and down and sounds distort. Boss explosions are where it’s really noticeable. The sound of Marion’s homing bullets is pretty annnoying and loud as well.