Zero Gunner 2, Sengoku, Gunbird & Strikers on Switch!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
CRP

Re: Zero Gunner 2, Sengoku, Gunbird & Strikers on Switch!

Post by CRP »

Kiken

Post by Kiken »

For those who are morbidly interested in seeing a full loop 1 completion of ZG2- at "Arcade" difficulty, here you go:
https://youtu.be/LyxtUL6pbFA
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Samurai Aces is still not up on the store. Guess Nintendo is late today. Previous releases all have gone up around 11am Eastern.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
YoniArousement

Sengoku Ace, Psikyo's very first game

Post by YoniArousement »

I see Sengoku Ace up on the JP Store, but not the US Store yet. I'll link this 1-all guide to the game for reference.
Last edited by YoniArousement on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Samurai Aces is up now better late than never.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

By the way, anyone notice the final boss is in the background in the title screen for Zero Gunner 2? I didn't notice it at first, though.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Kiken wrote:For those who are morbidly interested in seeing a full loop 1 completion of ZG2- at "Arcade" difficulty, here you go:
https://youtu.be/LyxtUL6pbFA
Thank you for posting this video! It looks like the port is even more different than I originally thought.

-"Arcade" difficulty looks much easier overall. Less bullets, slower bullets everywhere. It's a joke compared to the actual game's difficulty.
-Abundant graphic changes, usually toned down or just made look plain worse. For instance, take a look at the two twin towers the boss is crawling up in the Submergence stage.
-The video intro to the Submergence boss was also altered and now looks way more clumsy. The way he moves looks also worse because the legs go into the towers.
-Enemy formations have been changed as well. The wave coming in at 5:40 in your video looks completely different in the original game. The enemies coming in after the 1-5 midboss come in at different intervals. Beginning of 1-7 looks completely off.
-Enemy bullet patterns have been changed. Sea of Cloud boss' first form only vaguely resembles the original. Beginning of stage 1-5 is completely different as well. Abundant changes overall. Bullet sprites were also changed.
-Midsized enemies blink red when damaged enough. This doesn't happen at all in the original.
-1-5 boss is now much smaller, giving more space to dodge, making the fight very easy. He also has much less energy and dies quicker.
-Many enemies in general have dramatically less health, making it way easier.
-Some enemies not only shoot less, but do not shoot at all. The turret at the bottom of the screen at 17:52 is very dangerous in the original. Here, you don't even notice it, since it doesn't shoot any bullets whatsoever.
-As was noticed before, scoring is greatly inflated. A no scoring survival clear of the first loop now gives you around 2 million points, while it would usually yield you about 1,2-1,3 million in the original. It looks like enemies always give you the maximum amount of energy items, notwithstanding when you shoot them down.
-The game ends after the first loop even when played on "arcade" difficulty?

There are countlesss other changes. This is just a selection of what immediately came to my mind. Haven't played the game in a while.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Special World wrote:What are the best Psikyo releases? I know Zero Gunner 2 and Gunbird 2 are dope. And I've played and enjoyed Strikers 1945.
Zero Gunner 2, Gunbird 2, Strikers 1945 Part II are my favorites.
Gunspike isn't a "best" but is notable and interesting, worth a play.

edit: lol, didn't realize I was replying to a post on the first page, I'd have sworn I clicked the page 6 link!
yyr

Post by yyr »

Plasmo wrote:-"Arcade" difficulty looks much easier overall. Less bullets, slower bullets everywhere. It's a joke compared to the actual game's difficulty.
Can anyone who owns it actually confirm whether the difficulty setting in ZG2- actually does anything at all?

A theory that the game is hardcoded to run at a low difficulty was already posted on page 5, but nobody confirmed or denied it.
http://www.yyrgames.com
I exclusively make arcade-style games. Now available for Steam and Xbox =)
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Sol divide and Gunbird 2 are confirmed to be coming soon. Taisen Hot Gimmick for you non-shmup fans. They are running out of games already LOL
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

It would be great to have Taisen hot gimmick on the switch, but how the hell are they going to get Nintendo on board with it with the round intermissions?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

cave hermit wrote:It would be great to have Taisen hot gimmick on the switch, but how the hell are they going to get Nintendo on board with it with the round intermissions?
I have to imagine it'll act like the PCB does when you turn the nudity off in the settings.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Am I missing something with the Gunbird gold coins? Are they all worth only 200 points or am I supposed to do something similar to Aero Fighters 2 and grab them ASAP? Also, is Tetsu the guy with the most powerful shot?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

In Gunbird 1 you just grab the coins, they're always worth 200.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
wasilewski

Re: Sengoku Ace, Psikyo's very first game

Post by wasilewski »

YoniArousement wrote:I see Sengoku Ace up on the JP Store, but not the US Store yet. I'll link this 1-all guide to the game for reference.
This is very helpful- thank you!
BrianC

Re: Sengoku Ace, Psikyo's very first game

Post by BrianC »

wasilewski wrote:
YoniArousement wrote:I see Sengoku Ace up on the JP Store, but not the US Store yet. I'll link this 1-all guide to the game for reference.
This is very helpful- thank you!
To clarify, Samurai Aces is now up on the US store.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

A new update for ZG2- went live today. Current version is now 1.0.2. Haven't had a chance to try it out to see what they've changed.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Thanks for the heads up on the Switch ZG2 update -- will d/l it to see what new changes were made to it.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
silvergunner

Post by silvergunner »

Is it now worth to play after update 1.0.2 ?

:shock: Did they remove ZG2 from eShop (Europe) ? Can´t find it !
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

silvergunner wrote:Is it now worth to play after update 1.0.2 ?

:shock: Did they remove ZG2 from eShop (Europe) ? Can´t find it !
I haven't played the original, but the game still seems to have times when it feels like enemies should shoot (more) and they don't.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Ok, so I played several credits of ZG2- ver 1.0.2, here's what has been changed over 1.0.1:

Some smaller zako that pretty much never fired at the player before now will fire shots (they remembered their ammo this time!).
A handful of enemies now fire faster, aimed shots (they upgraded to "fast" bullets). The formations of blue choppers in stage 7, for instance.
A couple of bosses have improved bullet patterns (for example: the stage 7 flying merry-go-round final core 8-way spread now rotates counter-clockwise, like it's supposed to).

So, incredibly minor. Nothing else has been changed... apart from maybe the frame rate. It seems to choke more than it did after the last update (the first half of stage 6 is really rough... after taking down the spider-mech midboss, the screen will be completely devoid of enemies/items and yet the frame rate chugs like crazy). None of the texture warping/flickering has been fixed, nor any of the missing sound effects or missing geometry. And still no second loop.

I'll upload a play through tomorrow. I suspect that ZeroDiv are working on this little by little between slapping marginally modified arcade roms into a laggy-ass emulator (every damn game they've released on the Switch has egregious input lag... the ACA Neo Geo releases, while still lagging by a frame or 2 are miles better in terms of responsiveness).

ZeroDiv, I have a message for you... take the time that you're spending messing around with that pathetic mess of game that is Sol Divide and put that into ZG2-. Nobody asked for Sol Divide. Nobody.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Beware, Sol Divide is coming on March 22, at least in Japan so far.
YoniArousement

Post by YoniArousement »

Sol Divide's combat ain't no Streets of Rage 2, where your attacks packed power... I can tell you that much. They should have given us Sengoku Blade.

Edit: Perhaps a better comparison when it comes to melee attacks would be Shock Troopers.
Last edited by YoniArousement on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Kiken wrote:Ok, so I played several credits of ZG2- ver 1.0.2, here's what has been changed over 1.0.1:

Some smaller zako that pretty much never fired at the player before now will fire shots (they remembered their ammo this time!).
A handful of enemies now fire faster, aimed shots (they upgraded to "fast" bullets). The formations of blue choppers in stage 7, for instance.
A couple of bosses have improved bullet patterns (for example: the stage 7 flying merry-go-round final core 8-way spread now rotates counter-clockwise, like it's supposed to).

So, incredibly minor. Nothing else has been changed... apart from maybe the frame rate. It seems to choke more than it did after the last update (the first half of stage 6 is really rough... after taking down the spider-mech midboss, the screen will be completely devoid of enemies/items and yet the frame rate chugs like crazy). None of the texture warping/flickering has been fixed, nor any of the missing sound effects or missing geometry. And still no second loop.

I'll upload a play through tomorrow. I suspect that ZeroDiv are working on this little by little between slapping marginally modified arcade roms into a laggy-ass emulator (every damn game they've released on the Switch has egregious input lag... the ACA Neo Geo releases, while still lagging by a frame or 2 are miles better in terms of responsiveness).

ZeroDiv, I have a message for you... take the time that you're spending messing around with that pathetic mess of game that is Sol Divide and put that into ZG2-. Nobody asked for Sol Divide. Nobody.
How do ports end up with more input lag than many emulations? It's baffling. I hope Zerodiv gets that fixed. I'm guessing the regular Arcade Archives are comparable to the ACA Neo Geo releases in terms of lag? I played Vs. SMB on real hardware thanks to a NES flash cart and the response seems comparable.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Despite my love/hate relationship with Psykio shmups, and the fact that I already have Strikers 1945 II on Saturn and "Gunbird" on PlayStation (via MLF), I'll probably go for these anyway, because I love my Switch, and it needs more shooty love :D
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

The only way Sol Divide deserves your money is the PS2 port... and that's because Dragon Blaze is on the same disc ;)

Though, for some bizarre reason, I'm going to TRIPLE DIP on the damn game with the Switch release anyway, to go with my cheap XS Games US PS1 release that I picked up for like $2 in a bargain bin, and the aforementioned PS2 Psikyo compilation. This has gotta be the worst game I've purchased that many times! To think it was one of the first games I contemplated importing for my Saturn back in the 90s...

Anyway, I'll continue supporting all the Psikyo stuff in support of the series, and in hopes of getting more unannounced stuff like Dragon Blaze, Zero Gunner 1, or maybe some insanity with Space Bomber.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

steveovig wrote:Beware, Sol Divide is coming on March 22, at least in Japan so far.
Confirmed for USA release as well on the Eshop.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Any word on Strikers 1945 III? Because that one is my favorite of the Strikers 1945 trilogy.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

xxx1993 wrote:Any word on Strikers 1945 III? Because that one is my favorite of the Strikers 1945 trilogy.
Not yet but chances are good. Hoping that and Dragon Blaze make it. Gunbarich was previously Arcade exclusive with no port. So anything is possible.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Hopefully Strikers 1945 III is better on Switch than MAME and Android.