Zero Gunner 2, Sengoku, Gunbird & Strikers on Switch!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
yyr

Re: Zero Gunner 2, Sengoku, Gunbird & Strikers on Switch!

Post by yyr »

yyr wrote:Can anyone who owns it actually confirm whether the difficulty setting in ZG2- actually does anything at all?

A theory that the game is hardcoded to run at a low difficulty was already posted on page 5, but nobody confirmed or denied it.
Still really curious about the answer to this question.
http://www.yyrgames.com
I exclusively make arcade-style games. Now available for Steam and Xbox =)
FRO

Post by FRO »

hamfighterx wrote:The only way Sol Divide deserves your money is the PS2 port... and that's because Dragon Blaze is on the same disc ;)

Though, for some bizarre reason, I'm going to TRIPLE DIP on the damn game with the Switch release anyway, to go with my cheap XS Games US PS1 release that I picked up for like $2 in a bargain bin, and the aforementioned PS2 Psikyo compilation. This has gotta be the worst game I've purchased that many times! To think it was one of the first games I contemplated importing for my Saturn back in the 90s...

Anyway, I'll continue supporting all the Psikyo stuff in support of the series, and in hopes of getting more unannounced stuff like Dragon Blaze, Zero Gunner 1, or maybe some insanity with Space Bomber.
I'd definitely pay for Dragon Blaze. I still contend that Sol Divide is Psykio's worst shmup. Hot garbage. If they brought Dragon Blaze to the Switch, I'd be all over that, however!
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

FRO wrote:
hamfighterx wrote:The only way Sol Divide deserves your money is the PS2 port... and that's because Dragon Blaze is on the same disc ;)

Though, for some bizarre reason, I'm going to TRIPLE DIP on the damn game with the Switch release anyway, to go with my cheap XS Games US PS1 release that I picked up for like $2 in a bargain bin, and the aforementioned PS2 Psikyo compilation. This has gotta be the worst game I've purchased that many times! To think it was one of the first games I contemplated importing for my Saturn back in the 90s...

Anyway, I'll continue supporting all the Psikyo stuff in support of the series, and in hopes of getting more unannounced stuff like Dragon Blaze, Zero Gunner 1, or maybe some insanity with Space Bomber.
I'd definitely pay for Dragon Blaze. I still contend that Sol Divide is Psykio's worst shmup. Hot garbage. If they brought Dragon Blaze to the Switch, I'd be all over that, however!
I've never even played it to begin with but I've always wanted to. I'd be super down for a Switch version too. So far, no ZG2 for me and probably no Sol Divide.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I wish I could trade ZG2- for Sengoku Blaede.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Sengoku Blade is coming March 29th.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

steveovig wrote:Sengoku Blade is coming March 29th.
!!! Very nice.

EDIT: And from looking at the U.S. eShop Coming Soon page today, this will be localized in the U.S. under the "Tengai" name instead of "Sengoku Blade"
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Picked up Sol Divide as I will support all the Psikyo releases on Switch. Despite the hate for it on the forum. It was just as good as when I played on the Arcade and Saturn back in the day. Fun game and a nice change of pace compared to traditional shmups.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

I bought it too, at $8 a pop I'm down with supporting all of these releases to help prove there is a viable market for these kinds of ports. However... not gonna sugarcoat that Sol Divide is one of Psikyo's worst. Now, next week with Sengoku Blade/Tengai... there's a GOOD horizontal scrolling Psikyo game.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm glad I bought Moon Patrol instead of Sol Divide this week. Definitely getting Blaede next week.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Dragon Blaze is coming April 5th.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

steveovig wrote:Dragon Blaze is coming April 5th.
Ahhhhh! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! This is fantastic news. Anyone remotely interested in Psikyo or late 90s-early 00s vertical shooters in general needs to check this out.
Special World

Post by Special World »

How does Tengai hold up against other Psikyo shooters? The eShop pictures don't really make it look that exciting, but maybe because there's not any bullets in any of them?
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^One thing that's nice about Tengai is that it's horizontal, so you don't need to worry about having a rotatable screen in order to enjoy it. From what little I played of it, it has a feel pretty similar to Gunbird or Sengoku Ace (depending on which character you use). Pretty solidly early Psikyo style. Not bad at all.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

We still need

Cannon Spike / Gunspike
Gunbird 2
Pilot Kids
Space Bomber
Strikers 1945 Plus
Strikers 1999
Zero Gunner

Not sure if ZeroDiv will be able to release Cannon Spike unless they work something out with Capcom.

Strikers 1999 , Gunbird 2, and Space Bomber seem the most likely.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

I've been pining for a Zero Gunner console port ever since I got into the original, which by some sort of insanity was in my college arcade back in the mid/late 90s. I gotta keep believing, since this seems like the best chance the game will ever get!

I would agree that Strikers III/1999, Gunbird 2 (original arcade version, not including the Capcom characters specific to the Dreamcast version), and Space Bomber seem most likely just given that they are the three unreleased shooters from Psikyo's first gen and SH2 hardware. To break things down by original hardware (not listing all non-shmups):

Psiyko first gen board:
Gunbird (Switch version released)
Sengoku Ace/Samurai Aces (Switch version released)
Sengoku Blade/Tengai (Switch version released)
Strikers 1945 (Switch version released)

Psikyo SH2:
Dragon Blaze (Switch version released)
Gunbarich (Switch version released)
Gunbird 2
Sol Divide (Switch version released)
Space Bomber
Strikers 1945 II (Switch version released)
Strikers 1945 III/1999
Taisen Hot Gimmick (not a shooter, it's a strip mahjong game... apparently announced by ZeroDiv for Switch release in Japan, I'd assume this might not release in other regions)

Sega Model 2:
Pilot Kids
Zero Gunner

Sega Naomi:
Cannon Spike
Zero Gunner 2 (Switch version released)

Neo Geo:
Strikers 1945 Plus
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

ZeroDiv finally discovered that the L and R keys actually exist on the controller and patched in function mapping support... on one game. Of all the current Psikyo software available for download, they add this support to Sol Divide.
YoniArousement

ZeroDiv

Post by YoniArousement »

I wonder if ZeroDiv can obtain the rights to Video System's properties, so we could also get Rabio Lepus, Turbo Force and Aero Fighters 1.
Kiken

Re: ZeroDiv

Post by Kiken »

YoniArousement wrote:I wonder if ZeroDiv can obtain the rights to Video System's properties, so we could also get Rabio Lepus, Turbo Force and Aero Fighters 1.
Hamster have already released ROMs of Sonic Wings 2 and 3 on their ACA Neo-Geo line and they originally published the PS2 Oretachi No Geesen version of Sonic Wings 1. I see no reason why they couldn't re-release the first game again. Hell, they also released Rabio Lepus on PS2.
BrianC

Re: ZeroDiv

Post by BrianC »

Kiken wrote:
YoniArousement wrote:I wonder if ZeroDiv can obtain the rights to Video System's properties, so we could also get Rabio Lepus, Turbo Force and Aero Fighters 1.
Hamster have already released ROMs of Sonic Wings 2 and 3 on their ACA Neo-Geo line and they originally published the PS2 Oretachi No Geesen version of Sonic Wings 1. I see no reason why they couldn't re-release the first game again. Hell, they also released Rabio Lepus on PS2.
It's likely they will be coming to Arcade Archives according to this. Hamster now has the rights to the full Video System catalog, including games not on NeoGeo hardware.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

yyr wrote:
yyr wrote:Can anyone who owns it actually confirm whether the difficulty setting in ZG2- actually does anything at all?

A theory that the game is hardcoded to run at a low difficulty was already posted on page 5, but nobody confirmed or denied it.
Still really curious about the answer to this question.
Playing on Very Hard makes a slight difference - some of the zako actually fire at you now! It still feels like the equivalent of Very Easy though :?

Kind of a bummer; I was hoping for "not the same but still good", but the lack of difficulty overshadows some of the few virtues that might arise from an accessible modern ZG2 port.

Do any of the other Psikyo ports have these types of issues (or major ones at all)? I saw the physical release of Dragon Blaze and thought it might be fun to get that.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

EmperorIng wrote: I saw the physical release of Dragon Blaze and thought it might be fun to get that.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the Dragon Blaze port?
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

Those issues related to Zero Gunner 2- do not affect any other Psikyo port on switch. Zero gunner 2- game was not a port but more like a remake (they didn't have the original code or something).

I don't have any problems with any of the other games, but those are very bare bone releases, it's more or less the arcade release with some stuff from earlier ports included (some easier difficulties, etc.). There is no practice modes (you can just set number of continues and/or lives for that purpose or use easier difficulty). Tengai strangely is the only one where you can affect the random initial stage order.

I love the games, especially Dragon Blaze, Strikers (first two which are released) and Gunbird 2, but the lack of any kind practice mode, save stage, stage select makes the really hard to learn especially considering how difficult those games are in the first place. Highly recommended nevertheless.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Looks like the Switch version of Zero Gunner 2 is releasing on Steam on the 21st. (based on the video it looks like the Switch version at least)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1342 ... _GUNNER_2/
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Jeneki wrote:Looks like the Switch version of Zero Gunner 2 is releasing on Steam on the 21st. (based on the video it looks like the Switch version at least)

So uh.... it's not suppose to do this right?
Skip to about 2 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC-zC_5i9s0&t=132s

All stages except Armored Train and Orbital Elevator is busted like that
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Buffi wrote:
Jeneki wrote:Looks like the Switch version of Zero Gunner 2 is releasing on Steam on the 21st. (based on the video it looks like the Switch version at least)

I'm amazed that stage 7 didn't crash the game. An infinitely milkable spontaneously spawning enemy plane has never happened to me in any of the revisions of ZG2- on Switch.

It's not a glitch, it's a feature.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Kiken wrote:
Buffi wrote:

I'm amazed that stage 7 didn't crash the game. An infinitely milkable spontaneously spawning enemy plane has never happened to me in any of the revisions of ZG2- on Switch.

It's not a glitch, it's a feature.
Oh it definitely crashed on more than one earlier run.
Seems to help to point blank the infinite milk ships though so that you get the items earlier.
SPM

Post by SPM »

The glitches are the parts of the game that work properly. Everything else is intended in this "-" revision :lol: :lol: :lol:

The game is still fun for a casual playthrough though. At least they got the presentation and control right. Why did they add completely different patterns (when enemies actually shoot) and remove the extra medals for the scoring system? We'll never know...
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Mills

Post by Mills »

https://youtu.be/PfuwsvpcDxY
Old run but impressive