Rolling Gunner: Side Scrolling Indie PC shmup 2017

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
maximo310

Re: Rolling Gunner: Side Scrolling Indie PC shmup 2017

Post by maximo310 »

Xyga wrote:depends on the game in their library, lots are higher tier production value-wise and sport a well tailored system still making the flesh of competitive shmupping today, like, the reason why you among so many people got addicted and played the shit out of their games, which we all could see be you would never admit yourself since you're head to toes a funny dishonest contrarian who will only ever mention their screw-ups exclusively to support his useless 'lets systematically bash cave' poseur crap
keep dreaming about sdoj boi, only poorjins for you
So what's so bad about rolling gunner? Could you explain in grand detail?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

why the need to explain? i've said as much as is required, like he does in every thread I have an interest in and try to have a normal conversation with people.
this is called adapting to the times, it's being cool
trap15 wrote:I think Bananamatic is a pretty cool guy. Eh posts his true feelings and doesn't afraid of anything.
these are my true feelings, and I don't afraid of anything; RG is shit
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Cuz I thought you actually played the game due to its cave-esque nature.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

i played the game whether it's a cave ripoff or not doesn't matter, a game is either good or boring shit, and RG is the latter
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

tfw too lazy to bump a thread so you make xyga do it for you
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Plasmo wrote:Let's just stay here together and have a good time. :D
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Quality critique, IGN should hire you.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

yup, i'm learning from banana sensei
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Back on topic please.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Is there anywhere a copy of this can be purchased I can be directed to? Preferably DRM-free.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

they said something about being able to order it on the last day of comiket with more details to come
probably will be in doujin stores too
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

I suppose a scanner was cheaper than a semi-decent background artist...
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

The backgrounds look fine IMO. It's a generic fighter plane vs military machines aesthetic, but a lot of my favorite games have that too (unfortunately). Not really a problem.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
GSK

Post by GSK »

They're selling it direct on the first two days of Comiket, with a discount for anyone who brings a copy of the old version, and then they're doing consignment deals on the final day, so the usual mail-order stores will probably have it soon after.

It's priced at 2000yen, soundtrack's 1000yen.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Tried some original mode at 50 rank.
It's much more macro-dodging oriented indeed, because the bullets are faster and you can't really safely micro-dodge inside them anymore. At the same time, it doesn't feel as though those patterns had always been made with macro-dodging in mind, like in Dangun or something. In any case, it's really tough for my skill level, and it feels more like a puzzle you have to figure out than something you could sorta improvise your way through, based on your reflexes.

Compared to rank 0, it seemed a bit faster to get hypers and extended double breaks though, so I can imagine top players using the cancelling properties at the right moment to make it out alive.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

I played and enjoyed it (the version I have includes 3? 4? stages and was purchased at BitSUmmit 2017).
I think they tweeted recently commenting on whether it was a bullet hell/danmaku game or not, the conclusion being that the mechanics lean towards it not being one.
Point blanking enemies rewards higher point value items and thus a greater chance of powering up. Powering up, in turn, clears enemy shots from the screen.
I wasn't the biggest fan of the graphics, but the game gelled with me and I can't wait to hear Cosio's (ex Zuntata) soundtrack.

* not a Degica game, but thought I'd offer my thoughts all the same :)
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

NANAPO store is selling the release version of Rolling Gunner, you can import here http://www.7-iro.org/store/

I had a great experience with this store some years back, don't know if anything changed.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

I ordered with the basic JPY 300 shipping option, let's see how long the donkeys need to walk the silk road from Japan to Europe.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

3-4 years ago I got items to finland within a week using the cheapest shipping.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

Zaarock wrote:3-4 years ago I got items to finland within a week using the cheapest shipping.
The donkey caravan made it today (even though one of them may have sat on it by the looks of it). 10 days is not too shabby.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Zaarock wrote:NANAPO store is selling the release version of Rolling Gunner, you can import here http://www.7-iro.org/store/

I had a great experience with this store some years back, don't know if anything changed.
This was where I got my copy from. Considering a postal strike was taking place it came surprisingly quick (a couple of weeks). Very pleased with that store.

Picked up the game as well as the OST. RollingGunner's physical release actually comes with one of their previous games, GalaxyFrontier. Indeed, RollingGunner is
Spoiler
a prequel to GalaxyFrontier, hence the TLB fight and ending

OST is pretty good too, and there are several solid tunes on it.

Casual difficulty is really approachable and the TLB fight is available in it. Beginners will find it fun without it being too difficult (autobombs take 1 bomb instead of whole bomb stock).

Normal difficulty is quite tough and combines fast as well as dense attack patterns. Enemies attacking on all sides is also very prominent - in some ways it's even tougher than say Progear or Deathsmiles as you don't have lock-on capability and enemies attack from directly above and below often. You have to aggressively control your option shot to do damage and I found the quicker ships that can rapidly weave around more useful than the spreadfire ship, which has a wide shot but poor main gun damage in rapid mode compared to the other ships (in rapid shot mode about 80% of your damage per second comes from your main shot, in focus shot it's the little pod that accounts for most of the damage output).

The stage transition scenes are very stylish too. It's a really slick doujin shmup. I'm not sure at this point if the scoring system holds up quite as well as something like Crimzon Clover (the scoring seems to be an eclectic mashup of Crimzon Clover's Break system, although perhaps less elegant, SDOJ's rank system, Deathsmile's rewarding bigger medals for killing small enemies with rapid shot instead of focus shot, and Futari BL's close range medal shedding). There's definitely a lot going on though, and graphically it's well polished (I appreciate that you can turn off the weird "aura" bullets have).

Normal feels like an arcade shmup in terms of difficulty; it's not something you could just waltz through within a few credits. Expert is a step up, but didn't feel as huge a leap when comparing say SDOJ S/L to EX.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Zaarock wrote:NANAPO store is selling the release version of Rolling Gunner, you can import here http://www.7-iro.org/store/

I ordered my copy of the game and OST via the same store, and while it did take a while to arrive (2 weeks plus), it arrived undamaged. It was easy enough to order from the site as well, using a browser that will translate Japanese to English.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I'm trying out the full PC version at the moment. I wanted to ask if it's normal for the framerate to jump all over the place? I don't recall fluctuations being particularly noticeable on the Switch, but here it stutters at odd times when very little is happening, seems inconsistent (though pronounced) at the times you'd expect slowdown to occur, and drops as low as 20-30fps for patterns that are clearly just mid-paced warm-up stuff, or aimed shots. It stays around 30-40 for boss fights and can even drop during stage transition screens, etc. It isn't fixed by playing in windowed mode - behaves the same either way. My PC is brand new and can run most modern games I own at max settings, so I'd be surprised if it was a performance issue specific to my machine. I can't check if it's a multi-core processor problem because the game closes if I minimise it with the windows key, heh. There was no notable improvement after installing this update either. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edit: in Mark_MSX's video review here the FPS counter pretty much never drops below 60 in any situation, so there's definitely something amiss. I can post my PC spec if anyone thinks it would help...
clippa

Post by clippa »

Oh, hi Klatry! Long time no see! :D

Do you have the latest patch? - https://rollinggunner.wixsite.com/rollinggunner/update

That might help.

It's a bit of a shitshow, to be honest (ex cave devs, pc, it was never gonna be plain sailing). I've got the overpower dlc and the slowdown was massively different for me on 2 separate pc's, they've since patched that and it seems to run more consistently, but yeah, it's wonky. Game speed is tied to the framerate, and there's always been an odd hitching issue with the game where you'll get these sort of random 1 frame pauses. They haven't quite hit the quality standards of your average one man doujin release, but it was a decent first attempt. Maybe mebius could report the pc version, looks like they've done a good job with the switch release!

I just got used to the random hitching, but it sounds like you're having bigger issues there.

This is really weak flailing, but are you running a cpu with integrated graphics? Have you made sure that the game is using the dedicated gpu?
I think frame skipping is off by default, but make sure that's off. Christ knows what that was supposed to achieve but it's like taking the reigns off a mad horse and letting it lurch about unhindered.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I'm using integrated graphics on a Ryzen 2400g APU.

Sadly, even the menu is extremely sluggish. Seems unplayable unless I buy a dedicated gpu :cry:

Kinda surprised the game given I've had no issues with many other games.

EDIT: I'm talking about Overpower btw, the Vanilla version was playable despite some slowdown in places.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Hi, clippa - hope you're well, and thanks for the suggestions! I did install the patch, but it hasn't changed anything in terms of performance; it could be marginally less choppy during the stages, but the framerate is still very up and down, and consistently tanks during boss battles (which I assumed was just the st1-2 bosses going easy on you at first, but clearly not).

My graphics card is an 8gb AMD RX 570, which could stand to be upgraded, but should be enough to run ten instances of this game, no? I've set it to use the "high performance" gpu but there's no other anyway. I'm wondering if I need to get the game to use fewer cpu cores (this is a 6-core Ryzen 5), which used to fix CRS68k on my old PC, but as I mentioned I can't tab out of the game without closing it for some reason. Sorry to hear the DLC has big issues, too - I've been looking forward to really digging into both of them. I wonder if the devs are aware of the problems with the PC version...
clippa

Post by clippa »

You could make a batch file and put that in the programs folder and run the game from that instead of the executable to make the game just use one core and see if that helps.
Make a .txt file in notepad and then change it's extension to .bat

start /affinity 1 rollgun.exe

They were at least aware of the performance issues with the overpower dlc and they said back then that they don't really have any means of testing their game on many different setups - https://twitter.com/rollinggunner/statu ... 2592547840

If you're on twitter, you could give them a nudge.
Like you say, your computer shouldn't be having any issues running it.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Thanks for that - I thought you'd cracked it then, as most of stage 1 seemed a bit better, but it still dropped to 37-39 for the entire boss fight. I'll try asking the dev!
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

Klatrymadon wrote:I'm trying out the full PC version at the moment. I wanted to ask if it's normal for the framerate to jump all over the place? I don't recall fluctuations being particularly noticeable on the Switch, but here it stutters at odd times when very little is happening, seems inconsistent (though pronounced) at the times you'd expect slowdown to occur, and drops as low as 20-30fps for patterns that are clearly just mid-paced warm-up stuff, or aimed shots. It stays around 30-40 for boss fights and can even drop during stage transition screens, etc. It isn't fixed by playing in windowed mode - behaves the same either way. My PC is brand new and can run most modern games I own at max settings, so I'd be surprised if it was a performance issue specific to my machine. I can't check if it's a multi-core processor problem because the game closes if I minimise it with the windows key, heh. There was no notable improvement after installing this update either. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edit: in Mark_MSX's video review here the FPS counter pretty much never drops below 60 in any situation, so there's definitely something amiss. I can post my PC spec if anyone thinks it would help...
Presume that's the disc version? I don't even have a disc drive hooked up to my PC, so live in hope of a digital release.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

If you email the store they might be able to sell you the installer and not bother with the disc. The game can definitely run without it. Worth a go!