shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:15 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Rolling Gunner: Side Scrolling Indie PC shmup 2017
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:12 pm 

Klatrymadon wrote:
If you email the store they might be able to sell you the installer and not bother with the disc. The game can definitely run without it. Worth a go!

Good call, will give it a shot. Cheers!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:32 pm 

If they tell you to sling your hook, you can pick up a decent external usb dvd drive for around 10 - 20 quid nowadays. Might come in handy for other things.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:15 am 

clippa wrote:
If they tell you to sling your hook, you can pick up a decent external usb dvd drive for around 10 - 20 quid nowadays. Might come in handy for other things.

TBH I have a DVD drive laying around and there's nowt to stop me opening up the PC and quickly hooking it up. It's more just the principle - haven't needed it for years because, y'know, the modern world. Just release it digitally guys!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:23 am 

I still don't understand how a 2D game can run this badly, either the slowdown is implemented in a fundamentally bad way or the code is an utter mess, Futari ultra arrange and the crazy Galuda 2 arrange mode ran without any slowdown on a 360 and this has issues on modern systems

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:14 am 

Yeah, it's bonkers. It seems like deliberate dips in framerate are being used to create an artificial slowdown effect, but that still doesn't explain why it's happening all over the place, or during entire boss fights, etc. If it is an issue with the fundamentals of the coding then it probably isn't likely to be fixed with a patch, eh...

Edit: got a very polite and helpful message back from the dev, but the long and short of it is that they haven't got a scooby. Have to try and wrest the Switch from my stepson now and then! :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:27 am 

I don't quite get what the "Over Power" DLC adds to the game..apparently a new soundtrack? Anything else?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:46 pm 

Well it is finally for preorder at physicality games. Unlike Limited run or other such companies there is not a limited amount of copies but there is a minimum that has to be reached to launch the physical game which is not bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:04 pm 

okerlo wrote:
I don't quite get what the "Over Power" DLC adds to the game..apparently a new soundtrack? Anything else?

It's a whole new gameplay mode/arrange. I recommend checking out the switch thread which has more info.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:07 am 

Some good news! I received another message from the dev today, a little while after sharing a video of the problems I was having, saying that they had prepared a patch to speed things up. It seems this is an official, public update:

https://twitter.com/rollinggunner/statu ... 45090?s=19

Gonna give it a try now! Hope it helps those of you who had similar issues. The DLC is patched too, so be sure to download it again. :)

Edit: I've only played up to stage 3 today, but the game seems to be running really well now. The framerate stayed between 60-59fps at all times, and the slowdown occurred at the times you would expect it to, instead of everywhere.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:07 pm 

Wow, nice one, Klatry! It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5