Hiroshi Iuchi's UBUSUNA for the PS4

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
silvergunner

Re: Hiroshi Iuchi's UBUSANA for the PS4

Post by silvergunner »

Click Bait :lol:
AyeYoYoYO

Re: Hiroshi Iuchi's UBUSANA for the PS5

Post by AyeYoYoYO »

PS5 ?
Outright Vaporware?
Pandemic postponement ?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Confirmed for 20XX. It's definitely coming out this century.

Austin

Post by Austin »

I am interested to see where this is. I know it's been in the works for a long time.

Seeing the thread popping up here and there reminded me I never picked up Iuchi's Kokuga 3DS game. I rectified that last weekend and am glad I did. It's pretty fun and has a lot of the usual stylings in-line with his other work.
pja

Post by pja »

New entry on Iuchi's website dropped on the last day of 2021.

What I gleamed from the machine translation is that they deliberately don't release much info on the game (because it's subject to change / not expected to release anytime soon? not sure how to interpret it, maybe someone that actually knows Japanese could explain), but it's progressing, and they apparently want to recruit texture artists... I guess the bottom line is that the game is not dead.

EDIT: it's interesting that I get error 403 if I try to visit the website by clicking this link, but refreshing works fine :P
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Pretty good glimpse of the ship there. And you can select dark or light attribute? 5 difficulty modes.

From this interview done back in October: https://www.famitsu.com/news/202110/27234336.html

When asked about Ubusana release date, M2 president Naoki Horii said with all the elegance of Google translate:
In that beautifully sharpened picture, the bargaining as a video game is incorporated as it is beautiful, and Mr. Inuchi makes it by shaving himself every day. I've seen the scene, so I can only say "Wow!". It's been 10 years since Mr. Inuchi has been working on it with the help of other lines, so I can't do my best until I bring it to the world.

――So, what is the specific release date?

Horii : The game itself has been completed, but I don't know the specifics yet because it takes time to make pictures with the current hardware. If you are impressed by "Gradius V" etc., you will be in agony just by looking at it, so please look forward to it!
Interesting that he compared it to Gradius V more than Ikaruga. Looks like it could be full 16:9 without borders. Could it be a hori?
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

As if I didn’t want this game enough already, they have to call out Gradius V….
Fuck me.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Still no word on a trailer or release date, though, right?
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Interesting that he compared it to Gradius V more than Ikaruga. Looks like it could be full 16:9 without borders. Could it be a hori?
Imho, the comparison is probably intentional and may mean:
1. it's a hori as stated above. Considering the comparison very likely. Maybe even support for ultrawide screens...
2. there may be some sort of power up system similar to Gradius V. Not unlikely, especially since many fans prefer Radiant over Ikaruga...
3. the aesthetic/artdirection may be a mixture between Gradius and Ikaruga. Shoot the core + Attribute switching...:-)

I have the feeling that the game itself is done for some time now and they're kind of searching for the right moment and strategy. PS4 and 5 availability has been really bad in some parts of the world due to the pandemic.
Might be a good idea to consider a multi platform release. Sega as publisher? One can dream;-)
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

By the way, isn't that Famitsu post old news?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Necronom wrote:Not unlikely, especially since many fans prefer Radiant over Ikaruga...
Do you have any proof of this? I thought people are split on which game is the better one...
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Necronom wrote:

I have the feeling that the game itself is done for some time now and they're kind of searching for the right moment and strategy. PS4 and 5 availability has been really bad in some parts of the world due to the pandemic.
Might be a good idea to consider a multi platform release. Sega as publisher? One can dream;-)
Unfortunately, I don’t think so.
His New Year update mentions they’re still looking for the proper texture artist.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

His New Year update mentions they’re still looking for the proper texture artist.
But doesn't this imply that the mechanics, leveldesign and models are all done and they now need somebody for the surface textures?
Do you have any proof of this? I thought people are split on which game is the better one...
Yes, they are divided. Especially because objectively both games are brilliant in their own right. But discussions about Ikaruga among the hardcore players usually end in the argument that MANY don't return to the game because it feels too much like a puzzle...
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

I can't believe it exists! For me, this is on that same tier as Mega Man Legends 3 or Red Stinger. I can't wait. Especially the Gradius V mention!? Stop lol.

If this ended up being a hori, I'll be so stoked.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Necronom wrote:
But doesn't this imply that the mechanics, leveldesign and models are all done and they now need somebody for the surface textures?
Yes, they are divided. Especially because objectively both games are brilliant in their own right. But discussions about Ikaruga among the hardcore players usually end in the argument that MANY don't return to the game because it feels too much like a puzzle...
I’ve got my own reasons as to why I enjoy Ikaruga despite its puzzle game-like mechanics.
Spoiler
There’s also the fact that this is where you do away with the Stone-Like once and for all.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I don't see this game coming out. And if it does, it won't be worth this wait.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

You’ll never know. Because I keep holding onto hope that this game might be the next Radiant Silvergun or Ikaruga, hopefully. But those two may be a tough act to follow.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I trust Iuchi. His sense of style and polish is extremely consistent. I am OK with waiting. When it hits it hits. Plenty of other games to play in the meantime.
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:If this ended up being a hori, I'll be so stoked.
Very likely based on screen ratio and boss design docs from a couple years ago that show a core on the right side of the screen. At least parts of the game seem to be.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Necronom wrote:
Gotta admit, I don't have any idea how game development works.
BUT, when I read about Iuchi's process and how deliberate it is, I feel we've still got a while to wait -even if it's 'just' the texturing we're waiting on.
TVG

Post by TVG »

How the fuck do you make RS, then ikaruga, then GV, then nothing else at all. Then fucking kokuga. You would guess the guy would be hired by any studio for the lone fact that he made ikaruga. I may never play it in my life but game is a brilliant masterpiece of design. Kokuga tho? Damn
"In short, it comes down to spirit" - dodonpachi developper Kohyama.
Austin

Post by Austin »

TVG wrote:You would guess the guy would be hired by any studio for the lone fact that he made ikaruga.
Uh.. He did. He's been at M2 for nearly a decade now. Sounds like a fitting studio IMO.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Ubusana Soundtrack EP link:

https://youtu.be/_OywuoPqPFU
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Just the soundtrack?
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

That’s it.
Though it’s supposed to reveal the ship and game world too.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Tell me more after the stream then, please. I've been waiting for this game for a long time.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Is Iuchi doing the soundtrack for this?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

bcass wrote:Is Iuchi doing the soundtrack for this?
The answer is yes.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

This is DEFINITELY the missing Radiant Silvergun chapter I've been hearing about. No doubt about it.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Seems like a much more somber tone to the game.
Good music… more orchestral than Ikaruga, less electronica.
I’d prefer more electronica, personally.

I am liking the art style and ship design, though.