What happened to Natsuki Chronicle?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Re: What happened to Natsuki Chronicle?

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'm pretty sure it's not just this forum, especially in Japan. In any event, no way to know what's up (or not up) until Qute says something.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

They're a pretty mysterious company, aren't they? Honestly, one reason why I'm waiting for Natsuki Chronicle is because I just want to know if the game takes place before, during, or after the events of Ginga Force. Either way, it definitely takes place within that verse because I remember seeing Natsuki as a boss in that game.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Astro City II wrote:That's genuinely stupid. A super small dev who has zero experience porting to another system and probably has no access to those dev stations should cancel it and port elsewhere just because the PS4 and Switch are more popular on this forum :lol:
This comment is genuinely stupid. The Switch and PS4 sell tens of thousands of consoles a week in Japan, the Xbox sells hundreds. Also I doubt Qute have any trouble getting PS4 and Switch dev kits, especially Switch which is very easy and cheap to develop for.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/12/th ... ros-debut/
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Even from the outset I'm 100% sure they wrote the code to be not-terrible to port, because Xbone has never done well in JP. It would be completely insane to write their game to not allow such a port to be done with reasonable effort (of course it's likely non-trivial, but it's not really a huge effort).

At this point I'm assuming Qute took the money and ran, the previous trailer looked like "oh no we gotta make something, it's due at the end of the month". I am not expecting this to actually come out. If it somehow does, my previous comment about it being an exclusive for only a short amount of time holds :P
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

DoomsDave wrote: This comment is genuinely stupid. The Switch and PS4 sell tens of thousands of consoles a week in Japan, the Xbox sells hundreds.
And yet the market for Shmups has remained pretty consistent over the last ten years irrespective of console sales. There was five times as many PS3's out there last gen vs 360 in Japan too but the 360 shmups always sold more copies.

trap I think you're right it does feel like they took a chunk of money at launch and haven't had the decency to say the project funds were spent on something else. I guess they'll put out a statement in the next few weeks.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Astro City II wrote:There was five times as many PS3's out there last gen vs 360 in Japan too but the 360 shmups always sold more copies.
You're forgetting that 360 was the shooting game console, so the market for the games was on that platform. This generation, it's very clearly PS4. The situation is not the same.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

trap15 wrote:
Astro City II wrote:This generation, it's very clearly PS4.
"Very clearly" is a bit of a stretch. Deathtiny didn't even chart for instance, so we have no idea how it did compared to other Switch and Xbox shmups. It did good enough for M2 which is what's important, but I don't see an obvious shmup console this time around.

https://gematsu.com/2018/12/media-creat ... 18-12-2-18
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I should've properly phrased it as "this generation, it's very clearly not xbox", at least in Japan :P
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

DietSoap wrote:
trap15 wrote:
Astro City II wrote:This generation, it's very clearly PS4.
"Very clearly" is a bit of a stretch. Deathtiny didn't even chart for instance, so we have no idea how it did compared to other Switch and Xbox shmups. It did good enough for M2 which is what's important, but I don't see an obvious shmup console this time around.

https://gematsu.com/2018/12/media-creat ... 18-12-2-18
Yeah, very true. And in truth, about 60-70% of the shmups that have come out on PS4 this gen are also on Xbox One, plus there's a few that are only on XB1 and not on PS4, so there's not as much of a gap as you'd think. And most of the PS4/Switch exclusive ones are junk shovelware titles or ACA/re-release titles, which is debatable how much those contribute to the genre as a whole. XB1 also having backwards compatability for a few dozen of the shmups that were released on 360 also give it an edge as far as shmups are concerned.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

At this point, 2d shooter devs should mainly focus on PC first and whatever consoles they deem feasible afterwards.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Darkseed_5150 wrote:At this point, 2d shooter devs should mainly focus on PC first and whatever consoles they deem feasible afterwards.
Only if they don't care about sales in Japan, or being able to sell their software for more than $5.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

trap15 wrote:
Darkseed_5150 wrote:At this point, 2d shooter devs should mainly focus on PC first and whatever consoles they deem feasible afterwards.
Only if they don't care about sales in Japan, or being able to sell their software for more than $5.
Stole this from reddit, but PC gaming is apparently getting more popular in Japan. In 2017 there were 15 million PC gamers vs 24 million console players.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201806/11158825.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... _in_japan/
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Leviathan wrote:
trap15 wrote:
Stole this from reddit, but PC gaming is apparently getting more popular in Japan. In 2017 there were 15 million PC gamers vs 24 million console players.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201806/11158825.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... _in_japan/
But are they playing anything on PC other than VNs, web browser mobage, and free doujinshi though? I'd love to believe there's hope, but like most things that sound too good to be true, there's probably a catch.

Edit: WELP the catch is that the increase is fueled by western esport games like Fortnite and PUBG. Depressing but I guess it's something. I just hope this somehow translates to Japanese devs focusing on the Japanese PC market rather than simply Japanese players losing interest in Japanese games.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

xxx1993 wrote:They're a pretty mysterious company, aren't they? Honestly, one reason why I'm waiting for Natsuki Chronicle is because I just want to know if the game takes place before, during, or after the events of Ginga Force. Either way, it definitely takes place within that verse because I remember seeing Natsuki as a boss in that game.
I vaguely remember they mentioned that it takes place before Ginga Force. I'm pretty sure Natsuki dies in that game.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I thought no one dies in Ginga Force except Viridian, the main villain. The look on the protagonists faces after they subdue Natsuki doesn’t look like they killed her.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Is it safe to call this game Vaporware?

The site is still up. Wonder what the heck is going on?

http://natsuki.qute.jp/
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I have no idea...
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Finally an update for a update LOL

From Shmups Twitter:

Qute - makers of JSS, Cardinal Sins, Eschatos, Ginga Force and the continually delayed Natsuki Chronicle have opened a blog claiming they'll reveal more info of their current game development within the next 3 months https://qute.co.jp/start-company-blog/
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Good.
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

Are there any news what happened to this game or Qute?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Tokyo-J wrote:Finally an update for a update LOL

From Shmups Twitter:

Qute - makers of JSS, Cardinal Sins, Eschatos, Ginga Force and the continually delayed Natsuki Chronicle have opened a blog claiming they'll reveal more info of their current game development within the next 3 months https://qute.co.jp/start-company-blog/
^
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

Just noticed they've updated the little text on the homepage from 'Working Hard' to 'In Earnest Production!' so I guess it's coming.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Astro City II wrote:Just noticed they've updated the little text on the homepage from 'Working Hard' to 'In Earnest Production!' so I guess it's coming.
Let us hope. Maybe it will get a Switch port as well.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Yeah, if this is in fact still coming, it's basically a death sentence if its still strictly limited to the XB1

Could have made the argument for it when it was announced but at this point a XB1 exclusive severely limits it
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Astro City II wrote:Just noticed they've updated the little text on the homepage from 'Working Hard' to 'In Earnest Production!' so I guess it's coming.
Excellent news, I hope we hear more before the end of the year or so, at least to what their plans are or how much progress has been made.
Yeah, if this is in fact still coming, it's basically a death sentence if its still strictly limited to the XB1

Could have made the argument for it when it was announced but at this point a XB1 exclusive severely limits it
Can't really wholly agree with this. While I sorta see where you're going with this, since Japanese people don't buy the console, the XB1 sales in the West are still very similar to Switch and PS4 sales in the West. Of course, less Western people would care about shmups per capita than Japanese people, but there are also like 400x more Western people in existence than Japanese, so there's always that.

Also, the one caveat of what's changed since the game was first revealed is that most Xbox exclusive games also now come to PC almost by default, which is now the most popular platform of choice for most hardcore gamers in Japan, so I'm not so sure it would be "dead on arrival" as many people would probably say. Especially if Microsoft is actually funding this in any way, I would expect a PC release to also be announced as simultaneous release. However, if they aren't, we'll likely also see PS4 and/or Switch ports too.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

https://gematsu.com/2019/09/natsuki-chr ... 9-in-japan

I doubt that we would ever get it at this point, even for its long ass delay since the inception of the X1. But I'd be serious if Qute actually showed a physical product of this to say its happening, or otherwise. Though they said they'll mention stuff around Sep/Oct. So they better bring something about it...or else.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
iplaymyshmups

Post by iplaymyshmups »

I thought that game got canceled long ago. Qute be trolling. They are probably reading this thread with an English interpreter and laughing uncontrollably.
Keeping your games sealed is like keeping your ass sealed when you have to take a number 2. Not natural.

My Instagram: galvatron86
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Seems to me most shmups come out in February. I think that is a more likely time frame.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Preorders are up! The game is coming out on December 25th :D

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/natsu ... verviewtab
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

wait what the fuck
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS