Atari and Jeff Minter announce Tempest 4000

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Durandal

Atari and Jeff Minter announce Tempest 4000

Post by Durandal »

http://nichegamer.com/2017/08/09/atari- ... pest-4000/
Atari has announced Tempest 4000.

The game is a follow-up to the classic psychedelic shooter Tempest 2000, and it’s being helmed by its original creator, the enigmatic British developer Jeff Minter.

Atari is poising the sequel as “visually stunning” and “action-packed,” and it’s set for a release on “current generation consoles and PC” sometime this holiday.

Here’s a rundown on the game, via Atari:

Developed by legendary game designer Jeff Minter, Tempest 4000 remains faithful to the original fast-paced gameplay while adding exciting new features and gorgeous graphics for audiences on the most popular contemporary platforms.

The original Tempest, one of the first video games to use 3D vector graphics, represents one of Atari’s hallmark titles and is considered one of the most popular arcade games of all time. It has been featured prominently across pop culture – including in Ernest Cline’s dystopian Ready Player One novel.

Just as in the original game, players are once again in control of the Claw, a powerful spacecraft equipped to destroy deadly creatures and other obstructions with rapid-fire shots on vibrant geometric prisms. With three game modes to choose from and 100 levels to conquer, players must eliminate all enemies as quickly as possible to survive, aiming for the coveted spot at the top of the leaderboards.

Key Features

Arcade Style Shooter: Blast down hordes of enemies in this fast-paced arcade style shoot ‘em up.
Unparalleled Graphics: Experience Tempest 4000’s mind-blowing graphics in beautiful 4K resolution.
Multiple Game Modes: Pick from three different game modes including Standard, Pure and Endurance that will push your skills to the limit.
Level Up: Progress and clear through 100 unique geometric levels by destroying enemies with various weapons and power-ups, and earn upgrades through bonus rounds.
Climb to the Top of the Leaderboards: Post your high score in your quest to be recognized as number one on the leaderboards.
Retro Techno Soundtrack: Enjoy the beats of a thumping soundtrack inspired by early 1990’s techno.
Old School Gameplay: Feeling nostalgic? Relive the traditional gameplay of the original Tempest with enhanced graphics on current generation consoles.
I guess they made up after TxK?
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Marc

Re: Atari and Jeff Minter announce Tempest 4000

Post by Marc »

If they've got footage ready to show shortly, this surely has to be a modified or re-skinned TkX?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

So does this mean a special rotary knob spinner controller will be released to play T4K properly?

I do have two spinner controllers for use with the Atari Jaguar T2K game & it's awesome.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Durandal wrote:I guess they made up after TxK?
That was exactly what I was wondering. Or, maybe the staff who are running Atari now aren't the same folks behind the TxK debacle and thus were able to make up with Jeff Minter. If it is the original staff behind the TxK nonsense hopefully they correctly realized how stupid they were not to stay on good terms with Jeff Minter and his well-deserved game development reputation. Working with him is basically a license to print money, and they should have used his TxK game as a springboard for popularity for the next official Tempest series game instead of "YOU BETTER CEASE AND DESIST".

Either way, yay, Tempest.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Much as I love Minter's games, I think the idea of him being a licence to print money is something of an overstatement.
Leeram

Post by Leeram »

Will it be more than an updated Tempest 2000?

I can't think of anything new that could be brought to the game.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I'm hoping they're just applying the official name to the previously blocked console TxK port. I was dying to get that up on the big screen.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Just slapping the Tempest 4000 name on TxK while changing nothing but the title screen, then releasing it for PS4/Xbox One/PC would be fine. Then again, if it's a new game, I'm sure Minter will outdo what he did on TxK.
Day One.

I'm sure Defender is owned by Warner Bros. now, since they put it in Midway Arcade Origins. A Defender 4000 wouldn't be bad either.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yeah, but TxK was pretty darn right. So, so pissed when the PS4 port got blocked. I'd be wary of more being less.

As for Defender, we already got Resogun not that long ago :lol:
Austin

Post by Austin »

I'll be looking forward to this. Was also miffed when TxK was axed from being a PS4 release, but it looks like this might make up for it.

Seems very much at this point in time to at least be somewhat based on TxK. Minter posted a WIP video of it in action a few days ago: https://twitter.com/llamasoft_ox/status ... 1984855040
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yeah, that looks very TxK. Puts me at ease :)
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Just what I wanted to see. Looks like Atari didn't request a lot of changes, except the audio. Will likely double or even triple dip.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

About

Tempest 4000 is a visually stunning, action-packed tube shooter based on the classic hit arcade game, Tempest. Developed by legendary game designer, Jeff Minter, Tempest 4000 remains faithful to the original fast-paced gameplay by putting you in control of the Claw, a powerful spacecraft equipped to destroy deadly creatures and other obstructions with rapid-fire shots on vibrant geometric prisms. Featuring fantastical graphical environments, 100 levels, three game modes, and more, you must eliminate all enemies as fast as possible to survive and compete for the highest score on the leaderboards.

Key Features

Arcade Style Shooter: Blast down hordes of enemies in this fast-paced arcade style shoot ‘em up.
Fantastical World: Experience Tempest 4000’s mind-blowing and colorful graphics in beautiful 4K resolution.
Three Game Modes: Pick from three different game modes including Standard, Pure and Endurance that will push your skills to the limit.
100 Levels: Progress and clear through 100 unique geometric levels by destroying enemies with various weapons and power-ups, and earn upgrades through bonus rounds.
Leaderboards: Achieve your high score and post to the leaderboards in your quest to be recognized as No.1.
Pulse-Pounding Soundtrack: Immerse yourself to a thumping soundtrack inspired by early 1990’s techno and rhythmic beats.
Old School Gameplay: Experience the traditional gameplay of the original Tempest with enhanced graphics on current-gen consoles.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/09/tempest-4000 ... 00oGm4G.99
5 mins of gameplay - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU-TCsp8C00
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Looking good.

I do have to say I wish they didn't feel the need to slap the Tempest 2000 music onto it to make it "official". That was T2K music, not The Official Theme of Tempest. And personally, I liked TxK's music much better. :(
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Just saw this.

I.
FUCKING.
KNEW.
IT.

A few months ago, Atari basically made up with Llamasoft and talked about getting TxK out there somehow. I think it was like, right before Polybius came out?

The video clearly shows TxK ブラックレーベル, which I'm 100% okay with. Fancy new effects, but also no more frame drops! New secret mode with totally fucked effects? Apparently the game is either significantly adjusted or just plain harder. I hope he fixes Classic/Standard! Maybe some of the effects will screw with people. I'm not okay with replacing the TxK soundtrack, but maybe it's still in there somewhere.
Leeram wrote:Will it be more than an updated Tempest 2000?

I can't think of anything new that could be brought to the game.
Please understand that TxK is a THOUSAND times better than 2000. You don't need to bring anything new to the game when you have to put a lot of effort into fixing it first.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yeah, I hope it merges the TxK songs with whatever they're deeming "official" Tempest music.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

The T2K songs should be offered as an second soundtrack option, similar to what After Burner Climax does with AB II BGM. While the T2K music is good, let's not remove the TxK tunes.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
tate

Post by tate »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:So does this mean a special rotary knob spinner controller will be released to play T4K properly?
This spinner could just be a hacked mouse, but it seems to be driving a non-constant velocity in the game.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I'm getting concerned this is going to slip into 2018. For an announced "holiday" release, we're past the point an actual date should have come out.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

tate wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:So does this mean a special rotary knob spinner controller will be released to play T4K properly?
This spinner could just be a hacked mouse, but it seems to be driving a non-constant velocity in the game.
That rotary spinner in action on that Youtube video looks exactly like the ones sold on this eBay listing here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tornado-Spinne ... SwImRYbWHf Looks ace indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
joeh

Post by joeh »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
tate wrote:
That rotary spinner in action on that Youtube video looks exactly like the ones sold on this eBay listing here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tornado-Spinne ... SwImRYbWHf Looks ace indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I had a Tornado spinner on my arcade control panel for years, and finally replaced it with a TurboTwist this year. The TurboTwist is light years more responsive than the Tornado.

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/inde ... cts_id=268
tate

Post by tate »

PEGI rated today for PS4 and XB1. I understand Steam games aren't rated, since they're not sold at retail.
d0s

Post by d0s »

I heard jeff minter does sex stuff with farm animals
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Good for you. I don't expect that to bleed over into Tempest 4K.
tate

Post by tate »

Steam page is up, indicating a "Spring 2018" release.

As excited for an "extended port of the iPhone version" of Gridrunner though. Here are the first 10 levels on the PS4. Coming to PC and likely XBO as well.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Now that's awesome news. Gridrunner was absolutely superb, the only thing I miss about my iPod.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

Marc wrote:Now that's awesome news. Gridrunner was absolutely superb, the only thing I miss about my iPod.
you might like this video then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pD_U2tSTio
gridrunner on ps4
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Cool, I'm sure Gridrunner will be another superb get. Haven't tried any previous revs personally so that will be a treat.

Can't imagine WHATtf caused 4000 to be so badly delayed from their initial excited "end 2017" announcement. It's gonna be about Goddamned time.
silvergunner

Post by silvergunner »

Wow,I don`t know for Gridrunner,now I´m more exciting for this instead of Tempest 4k :D
Definely buying both games !
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Tempest 4000 appeared on the PSN store today at the price of $29.99 USD and then it disappeared. What is up with PSN Store releases anyway? It seems Sony keeps delaying the release of the Arcade Archives games when they are released the same day as Japan on the Switch eShop.