Atari and Jeff Minter announce Tempest 4000

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bigbadboaz

Re: Atari and Jeff Minter announce Tempest 4000

Post by bigbadboaz »

Damn. I'm gonna hope they pulled it for a pricing error. $19.99 is the sweetspot here in my mind.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

BrianC wrote:Tempest 4000 appeared on the PSN store today at the price of $29.99 USD and then it disappeared. What is up with PSN Store releases anyway? It seems Sony keeps delaying the release of the Arcade Archives games when they are released the same day as Japan on the Switch eShop.
Steam is still listing this as not yet available, also. Damnit.
Looking forward to seeing what differences there are from TxK. Here's hoping the new BGM is as nice as TxK's... I'll miss "Laser Everywhere".

If they pulled it to drop the price to $19.99, OK. Not that I'd have minded $29.99.

The trophy list is up on PSNProfiles. It's different from TxK- now there are 21 total.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I am to understand that all the T2K and TxK music is in the game. Didn't hear about any new music.

I kinda wanna recommend waiting for a sale and buying other Llamasoft products instead. Atari is going to get the vast majority of the cut on 4000, and they don't deserve any bit of it.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Despatche wrote:I am to understand that all the T2K and TxK music is in the game. Didn't hear about any new music.

I kinda wanna recommend waiting for a sale and buying other Llamasoft products instead. Atari is going to get the vast majority of the cut on 4000, and they don't deserve any bit of it.
Is this more recent information? The only comment I remember on the music was that there was the T2K stuff "plus more".. which wasn't that specific and gave me little hope they were retaining all the TxK stuff.

I will indeed wait for a sale if the $29.99 was correct. Sorry guys, that would be too high -
bcass

Post by bcass »

I'm sure the TxK music will be in there. If it isn't, it'll be the same group of people doing any new music anyway.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Someone who bought the game in that brief window said some things.

$29.99 would be a great price if Minter and Giles were getting most of it, but I know they just aren't. They wouldn't have charged that much either, it likely would have been $9.99 like TxK and other games. It's fucking worth $29.99 and then some, but whatever, I didn't make the game.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

bcass wrote:I'm sure the TxK music will be in there. If it isn't, it'll be the same group of people doing any new music anyway.
Well, it is. Just found this out on Steam's forum. At the level select screen hit Triangle (I guess Y on XB1/PC). Thanks to SuperBrosMario84 for this one. :mrgreen: So glad... LASER EVERYWHERE.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I hate to bring some bad news, but it's not the full TxK soundtrack. On Steam's forum I read they'd been told "just a few" of TxK's BGMs could be added.
Tch... damn it.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Just picked up this game for PS4 today

It's not bad at all, feels like good ol Tempest turned up to 1(4?)000

Still having difficulty getting past the mid-teens stages but it should satisfy anyone looking for a Tempest itch
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I picked this one up on Steam today, basically plays just like TxK, which is perfectly fine given how polished it already was!

I was a bit disappointed to find that there's no new music at all, but hey, Tempest 2K music (plus the CD version and some TxK tracks)!

For whatever reason the Steam version is $20 as opposed to $30 on console, so that's probably something to consider. I feel like it's still a tad overpriced, but it delivers what it promises in any case.

It should probably be noted that the Steam version has no options to configure video or keybindings, and game speed is tied to framerate so if you're using a high refresh rate monitor it'll run too fast if you don't tune your display adapter down to 60hz (this last point is really the only annoyance for me personally).
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

So damn disappointed. That price is fucking offensive, particularly when it's inexplicably different per platform.

They unjustifiably block the release of TxK for over four years, strip it of its soundtrack to reinsert the shit we've listened to in an older game since 1994, finally announce a release.. then delay it ANOTHER SEVEN MONTHS and expect us to pay three times what it cost five years ago???

Black Friday bargain bin or GTFO.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I bought the digital PS4 & PC versions. They're both good.
It's a bit more challenging than TxK, as some of the enemies have been tweaked. In stage 13, there's this sphere that gets really aggressive if you don't shoot it fast. Its counterpart in TxK didn't spray bullets like that. The PS4's tilt for the after stage warp-outs is a little touchy.

The 1-ups are now at every 100,000 instead of TxK's 80,000.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Despatche wrote:Someone who bought the game in that brief window said some things.

$29.99 would be a great price if Minter and Giles were getting most of it, but I know they just aren't. They wouldn't have charged that much either, it likely would have been $9.99 like TxK and other games. It's fucking worth $29.99 and then some, but whatever, I didn't make the game.
Agree with this. I suspect the devs are getting next to nothing from this - they had a PS4 game completed and ready to go, blacked at the last moment, and probably had to accept whatever shitty terms Atari offered rather than lose out altogether.

Myself, I want the game, but I can't support anything this 'Atari' does. Then again, their pie-in-the-sky Ataribox seems to have been funded quickly enough, so what do I know. People sometimes.....

I'll see if I can pick up a digital TxK card for Vita even though I don't have one, support the devs that way, and pick this up for next to nothing when the inevitable sale arrives.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

I would gladly pay 30 bucks for a PS4 disc version. For download only? No.
Smells like it's intentionally overpriced so they can make a few extra bucks on the early birds...
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

There is a physical release, its the one I bought in fact, same price as the download version.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

gameoverDude wrote:I bought the digital PS4 & PC versions. They're both good.
It's a bit more challenging than TxK, as some of the enemies have been tweaked. In stage 13, there's this sphere that gets really aggressive if you don't shoot it fast. Its counterpart in TxK didn't spray bullets like that. The PS4's tilt for the after stage warp-outs is a little touchy.

Harder TxK sounds interesting. I've heard the controls are more slippery, is that true?
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

null1024 wrote:
gameoverDude wrote:I bought the digital PS4 & PC versions. They're both good.

Harder TxK sounds interesting. I've heard the controls are more slippery, is that true?
It does seem to control a little more loosely. Seems like you coast slightly after letting off of the left stick. You can use LT/L2 as a brake, but you shouldn't have to resort to that.
Last edited by gameoverDude on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Necronom wrote:Smells like it's intentionally overpriced so they can make a few extra bucks on the early birds...
Unfortunately this seems more and more the norm, and less "overpricing": squeeze as many sales as possible at a very high price, before dropping to what would have been the expected launch - and realistically sustainable - price just a few years earlier.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Necronom wrote:I would gladly pay 30 bucks for a PS4 disc version. For download only? No.
Smells like it's intentionally overpriced so they can make a few extra bucks on the early birds...
Thankfully, it's not download only, though this same price as retail thing is frustrating. Nicalis pulled the same thing as "Atari" with Cave Story+ on Switch. At least the latter had some nice physical extras with the retail version.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

BrianC wrote:
Necronom wrote:I would gladly pay 30 bucks for a PS4 disc version. For download only? No.
Thankfully, it's not download only, though this same price as retail thing is frustrating. Nicalis pulled the same thing as "Atari" with Cave Story+ on Switch. At least the latter had some nice physical extras with the retail version.
You're right. Thanks to you and drunkninja24 for pointing out. According to Amazon release date in the EU is August 10.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I've been clocking a lot of time into this over the last couple of days. Definitely worth the cash, there are a lot of really nice additions and changes made to the formula.
LeeVega

Post by LeeVega »

well everyone I have been playing this for the last few days I must say its pretty good on the PS4...there are only 2 game modes not 3 standard was left out , you can change the soundtrack by pressing the triangle
button , it does NOT have the Jaguars original OST...I just entered into the first yellow web trust me that was my favorite tune out of the all of them , the piano delayed echo intro is NOT there and the bottom end is very weak I love that tune I use to drive around in my Volkswagen 16V Scirocco blasting it LOL...no bring the big bat , no option to change from 3 different web views kinda rushed IMO...the PS4 soundtrack pretty is weak compared to the Jag I must say , controlling the claw is pretty stiff...but all in all its still is one off my all time favorites and great web vector shooting aswell go get it , PS4 recommended.

I stand corrected but only to listen to , maybe more tunes and options open up after you beat the game at level 100
beginning of yellow webs
music track 19
Constructive Demolition ( MOD )

update:
been playing this everyday now...this game Rules !... had to re-acclamate and re-aquire all my senses for this new version...the more I play it I find it to have outclassed my favorite version on the Atari Jaguar
A MUST PURCHASE for all of you who haven't picked this up yet....gogogogo...:)
Last edited by LeeVega on Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Austin

Post by Austin »

LeeVega wrote:button , it does NOT have the Jaguars original OST...I just entered into the first yellow web trust me that was my favorite tune out of the all of them , the piano delayed echo intro is NOT there and the bottom end is very weak I love that tune I use to drive around in my Volkswagen 16V Scirocco blasting it LOL...
It's all there, they just don't play in the same order as Tempest 2000. For instance, the tune used for the original second set of webs in Tempest 2000 (the red ones), doesn't play until way late into the game now. What you are hearing are original tracks that were left out of the original T2K release, but the rest of the tunes are still there as well.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Here's something cool I just found out. If you're caught by a flipper then get dragged into a powerup in your lane that turns out to be Beauty, the flipper dies & you're broken free.

The cube launchers that show up in level 13 are real bastards. The cubes can't be shot away, even if you have particle laser or maximum bullets! Looks like a super zapper won't clear them out either (because I got hit by one while using it). At least you have a second or two after they enter the web to shoot them before they get started. There's an enemy in TxK that acts like this, only not so aggressive.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Austin

Post by Austin »

gameoverDude wrote:Here's something cool I just found out. If you're caught by a flipper then get dragged into a powerup in your lane that turns out to be Beauty, the flipper dies & you're broken free.

The cube launchers that show up in level 13 are real bastards. The cubes can't be shot away, even if you have particle laser or maximum bullets! Looks like a super zapper won't clear them out either (because I got hit by one while using it). At least you have a second or two after they enter the web to shoot them before they get started. There's an enemy in TxK that acts like this, only not so aggressive.
You can definitely destroy their projectiles, at least with the particle lazer. I've got a capture of Web 13 here that shows it in action: https://youtu.be/8tgEzUUOA8U?t=15m41s

Later on in the game they start shooting missiles that track you, they become a real pain in the ass at that point. You really have to focus on taking them out ASAP.

Good catch on escaping via the Beauty power-up when being dragged down the web. There is some really nice attention to detail like that which honestly is welcoming compared to T2K (get caught in that and you are screwed). Another example is having a few frames to use your Super Zapper to get out of being caught. Another nice feature that I haven't seen people talking about is being able to tap the d-pad over once to reach out to the next slot on the web, which lets you pick off enemies without being caught (super useful before you get the jump power-up and you've already used the Super Zapper). I'm not sure if features like that were in TxK, it's been a few years since I've played it, but I'll have to fire it up again to draw comparisons.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Austin wrote:Another example is having a few frames to use your Super Zapper to get out of being caught. Another nice feature that I haven't seen people talking about is being able to tap the d-pad over once to reach out to the next slot on the web, which lets you pick off enemies without being caught
With a PS4 pad (PS4 & PC versions) you can hold L2+direction to stop and reach out to left/right lanes with the claw.
LeeVega

Post by LeeVega »

[code][size=150][/size][/code]
It's all there, they just don't play in the same order as Tempest 2000. For instance, the tune used for the original second set of webs in Tempest 2000 (the red ones), doesn't play until way late into the game now. What you are hearing are original tracks that were left out of the original T2K release, but the rest of the tunes are still there as well.

ahhh I see thank you Austin....:)
qmish

Post by qmish »

is it my gamepad (f710) or game has input lag?

i try both using stick and switching it places with dpad (pc version dont natively understand dpad yet, waiting for fix) - and i m not feeling controls as precise either way. Stick sensitivity is high, and if i try small movement it comes with delay i think; and with dpad when i press slightly sometimes it dont even go 1 step or sometimes go several at once.

It hurts for my hand to use LT everytime to break, so instead i often just sit down on one place and wait baddies from left or right because otherwise i easily run into them too much

that being said, i love Space Giraffe and like Gridrunner Revo, so i m enjoying T4K pretty much, though mechanics are cryptic in what this or that to in details
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Austin wrote:
gameoverDude wrote:Here's something cool I just found out. If you're caught by a flipper then get dragged into a powerup in your lane that turns out to be Beauty, the flipper dies & you're broken free.

You can definitely destroy their projectiles, at least with the particle lazer. I've got a capture of Web 13 here that shows it in action: https://youtu.be/8tgEzUUOA8U?t=15m41s

Later on in the game they start shooting missiles that track you, they become a real pain in the ass at that point. You really have to focus on taking them out ASAP.

Good catch on escaping via the Beauty power-up when being dragged down the web. There is some really nice attention to detail like that which honestly is welcoming compared to T2K (get caught in that and you are screwed). Another example is having a few frames to use your Super Zapper to get out of being caught. Another nice feature that I haven't seen people talking about is being able to tap the d-pad over once to reach out to the next slot on the web, which lets you pick off enemies without being caught (super useful before you get the jump power-up and you've already used the Super Zapper). I'm not sure if features like that were in TxK, it's been a few years since I've played it, but I'll have to fire it up again to draw comparisons.
I see. You CAN clear out cubes, just not with your starting weapon.

There seems to be some DAS effect (delayed auto-shift, like Tetris The Grand Master 3) on the claw's movement. If the left stick or d-pad is held long enough, you'll really zip along.
One thing that wouldn't be bad is a graphic settings menu. Some reviewers say the visual effects are a bit overused, so this would be a good way to address that.

Mostly I play with the TxK music. I see the T2000 soundtrack as a nice extra to switch over to sometimes.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

gameoverDude wrote:Mostly I play with the TxK music. I see the T2000 soundtrack as a nice extra to switch over to sometimes.
Yeah, I'm one of the few who never "got" the T2K music.. at all. Wasn't happy when this game got switched over to it. Are we confirmed now that it's the whole TxK soundtrack in there, not just "a few tracks" as previously reported?