Atari and Jeff Minter announce Tempest 4000

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bcass

Re: Atari and Jeff Minter announce Tempest 4000

Post by bcass »

Anyone checked if it's possible to just replace the existing audio files on the PC version with your own?
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Grrr, upset I can't play this yet. Can anyone give a little more information on what's in it and what the changes are?
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
qmish

Post by qmish »

bigbadboaz wrote:Are we confirmed now that it's the whole TxK soundtrack in there, not just "a few tracks" as previously reported?
Not all TxK tracks are there. Here is a list of missing tracks
https://steamcommunity.com/app/688140/d ... 646976919/
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Too bad, thanks.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Poster below said that even in txk some tracks werent in-game, only in ost, though
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yeah, I saw that. Not sure personally (along with another poster) if any of those were originally in-game. I'm optimistic I won't notice the difference when I pick the game up.
kennyrh

Post by kennyrh »

I thought this was getting a physical release in the UK today. It's disappeared off the listings at Amazon and the GAME store say they've never heard of it. Anybody know ??
Shoot, dodge, collect . . .it's the ONLY way to be !!
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

kennyrh wrote:I thought this was getting a physical release in the UK today. It's disappeared off the listings at Amazon and the GAME store say they've never heard of it. Anybody know ??
According to Base.com:
"Due for release on 28/09/2018"

...seems like Atari is doing a great job hiding it :?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

That's basically what they've been doing ever since announcing it back in 2017..
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

qmish wrote:Poster below said that even in txk some tracks werent in-game, only in ost, though
The ones in that list are in the sound test and all play in-game. Machine Code is the stage 6 theme, Minter Trance is the final stage theme, Limaverse is the stage 11 theme, and the other three play on various bonus levels. I don't have 4000 yet, so I don't know what has been done with what.

That thread has some interesting secrets about Tempest 2000, though...
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

What would be a recommended, reasonably priced rotary controller for this game?
qmish

Post by qmish »

You aware that you would need to remap controls to it as they havent implemented support of such (yet?)
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Now on the Switch

Played on my commute home and *insert thumbs-up emoji here*

(also: thanks for the tip about the left trigger acting as a brake, because this is never mentioned anywhere in the game itself for some reason)
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

How's the difficulty of Tempest 4k? I've only played OG Tempest and it obliterated my ass.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

How's the difficulty of Tempest 4k? I've only played OG Tempest and it obliterated my ass.

About on par with every other Minter title. Three-four levels of bearing getter, then ramps pretty quickly.
It's a very fast game.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:37 am How's the difficulty of Tempest 4k? I've only played OG Tempest and it obliterated my ass.

About on par with every other Minter title. Three-four levels of bearing getter, then ramps pretty quickly.
It's a very fast game.

Let's see Tempest (Atari, arcade)

----------
Tempest 2000 for Atari Jaguar 64-bit gaming console (released March of 1994) -- Jeff Minter added full analog controller support which allows you to use a proper rotary knob spinner controller (really makes a difference with it, indeed, especially if you have a silky-smooth rotary knob spinner setup) -- Atari sold 30,000 copies of T2K making it the "killer app" worth owning/playing on a Jaguar console.

Atari went all out by releasing a standalone music OST of T2K of pure 44.1kHz redbook audio awesomeness! Be prepared to be blown away with this audio extravagancy at it's best!

The Windows 95 CD-Rom version of T2K (that was developed and published by Atari Interactive label themselves) has full 44.1kHz redbook audio of all T2K's OST and even has support for the Logitech Wingman Warrior PC controller with it's slick optical-based rotary spinner setup -- super silky-smooth with it's ball bearing endowed spinner -- Wow!
----------

TX3 for Sony Playstation & Sega Saturn consoles (a slightly different interpretation/take on the T2K formula/gameplay set forth with the Jaguar console version -- only has yellowbook audio playback with the PSX port of TX3)

Tempest 3000 for Nuon console -- a rare Nuon game title that Jeff Minter expanded on his upgraded vision/take of T2K with even more trippy visuals.

Tempest TxK for Sony Playstation Vita handheld/Sony PSTV micro gaming console

Tempest 4000 for Xbox One, PS4, Steam, Switch

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
davyK

Post by davyK »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:39 pm TX3 for Sony Playstation & Sega Saturn consoles (a slightly different interpretation/take on the T2K formula/gameplay set forth with the Jaguar console version -- only has yellowbook audio playback with the PSX port of TX3)

PS1 got Tempest X3.
Saturn got Tempest 2000. One of the bonus levels is missing and there are reported collision issues in later levels. But I'm not good enough to (a) get there or (b) notice as I think it plays great. The Saturn soundtrack is the same as the soundtrack CD.
bcass

Post by bcass »

IIRC LLamasoft had nothing to do with Tempest X3 (PS) or Tempest 2000 (PC / Saturn).
samspot

Post by samspot »

This is free on prime gaming right now, and also completely unplayable out of the box due to control issues. I noticed the steam reviews have tips on how to configure input so I may try them.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

davyK wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:26 pm
PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:39 pm TX3 for Sony Playstation & Sega Saturn consoles (a slightly different interpretation/take on the T2K formula/gameplay set forth with the Jaguar console version -- only has yellowbook audio playback with the PSX port of TX3)

PS1 got Tempest X3.
Saturn got Tempest 2000. One of the bonus levels is missing and there are reported collision issues in later levels. But I'm not good enough to (a) get there or (b) notice as I think it plays great. The Saturn soundtrack is the same as the soundtrack CD.
I remember reading a review of X3 from Jeff Minter, himself. He mentioned that the AI Droid was lobotomized and that the included Tempest 2000 port had some collision issues with some enemies. I think he also said something about one of the enemies taking more hits, IIRC. Same developers did the Saturn port of 2000, so I'm not surprised that they would have some of the same issues.
bcass

Post by bcass »

The best versions of Tempest are T2K (Jaguar) and TxK (Vita). TxK better than Tempest 4000 IMO. Better controls, seems more balanced, less frustrating. TxK is one of the best games on the Vita, and worth buying the system for. It looks stunning on the original OLED model. T3K (Nuon) would be high up on the list if it wasn't for the poor framerate.