Game Tengoku Coming to PS4/PC/Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shelcoof

Re: Game Tengoku Coming to PS4/PC

Post by Shelcoof »

Just got a surprise email from limited run

The premium edition is still available if anyone wants it

Im looking forward thi watching the anime for some reason lol
Master O

Post by Master O »

Jeneki wrote:
GSK wrote:a DVD of the old Gokuraku OVA
Since this is a DVD, it's worth asking if it will be region locked.
Region locks ... how quaint.

VLC ignores those and region-free blu ray / dvd players do, too.
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

Master O wrote:
Jeneki wrote:
GSK wrote:a DVD of the old Gokuraku OVA
Since this is a DVD, it's worth asking if it will be region locked.
Region locks ... how quaint.

VLC ignores those and region-free blu ray / dvd players do, too.
Yes, indeed, but there are some people out there who want to play DVDs on hardware that still adheres to region locks.
It _should_ be region free, at least that's the plan.
Master O

Post by Master O »

James_Degica wrote: Yes, indeed, but there are some people out there who want to play DVDs on hardware that still adheres to region locks.
It _should_ be region free, at least that's the plan.
You'd better not tell anyone outside the USA that they want to use DVD / Blu Ray players with region locks, then... :wink:

Anyway, glad to see it's getting an international release.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

You all were supposed to remind me. :(
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

Just to keep you all up to date:
The Japanese PS4 version of Tatsujin's DLC will release next week and the Steam will also go live then to match.

https://gameparadise2017.com/en/info.html#info20190207
https://steamcommunity.com/games/663130 ... 8651291350

We'll be having a hi-score contest on Steam (the Jp PS4 version will have one too, but to receive prizes you have to be a resident of Japan) to celebrate.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That's seriously awesome news! I look forward to seeing how the Tatsujin ship handles in the game's stages.
CIT

Post by CIT »

So what is the consensus on this versus the Saturn port? Any point in getting it for PS4 if you already own the latter?
qmish

Post by qmish »

Speaking of arcade original, was that ST-V or jaleco's original?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Game Tengoku was not an ST-V board, it came on its own JAMMA pcb. Hence why you can actually emulate it easily in MAME, and that there are even ports of it past the Saturn. :P

As to how close it is, It's hard for me to say. It feels really close to the Saturn port. A lot of the game is fast aimed patterns, so it's harder to tell about something that's obviously different, at least for me.

I feel like the extra characters and modes make up for it, though I still have my Saturn port (for now!).
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

https://steamcommunity.com/games/663130 ... 4790780344
Tatsujin's out now on Steam and the hi-score contest is go.
We have some cool prizes (if you're into reproduction arcade flyers & signed Toaplan CDs), so please join in!

The game's on sale to celebrate too, so if you haven't tried it, now's your chance.

Edit:
The Toaplan CD has some fantastic tracks on it.
I can't get enough of Ultimate Tiger's stage 1 arranged version.
https://youtu.be/v-e6oVzv4To
geremy

Post by geremy »

Please tell me you plan to update the steam version to remap keys! Thanks.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I know I have no chance, but I'll be gunning for that Toaplan swag.
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

EmperorIng wrote:I know I have no chance, but I'll be gunning for that Toaplan swag.
Good luck to you; I know I saw the no1 score this weekend knew I was out (not that I was able to compete in the first place).
Remember there's a random prize for both Tatsujin and the other characters, though!
geremy wrote:Please tell me you plan to update the steam version to remap keys! Thanks.
Sorry, no plans for that.
As a rule, we try to push for it, and will continue doing so with future games, but we're not always successful.
geremy

Post by geremy »

Wow. Ok. That handicaps the game sooo much. Is the reticence just cost related? I have never played it before now and I have to say that I truly love the game...but the implementation leaves something to be desired. I guess I'm spoiled with your Cave ports where you can remap to any keys and scale the screens...with Game Tengoku you can't even go tate in the arcade+ mode! The game doesn't even remember your screen resolution or wallpaper settings. I could live with most of that if I could at least remap the keys, but there aren't any plans for that?

It's a great game, the implementation is holding it back. I wish I had known these things prior to purchasing, but at least I got it on sale. :roll: :(
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

geremy wrote:Wow. Ok. That handicaps the game sooo much. Is the reticence just cost related? I have never played it before now and I have to say that I truly love the game...but the implementation leaves something to be desired. I guess I'm spoiled with your Cave ports where you can remap to any keys and scale the screens...with Game Tengoku you can't even go tate in the arcade+ mode! The game doesn't even remember your screen resolution or wallpaper settings. I could live with most of that if I could at least remap the keys, but there aren't any plans for that?

It's a great game, the implementation is holding it back. I wish I had known these things prior to purchasing, but at least I got it on sale. :roll: :(
Very glad you like it, but that only makes your disappointment all the more... disappointing.

I can't really go into the reasons, but as with any project, some things get left out in favour of others.
The points you mention were all considered at one time, but didn't make the cut, unfortunately.

Out of interest, do you tend to play mainly on keys? If so why, and what's your preference?
qmish

Post by qmish »

Hi. Can we expect (digital) artbook dlc some time later? (similar to what included in physical edition)
geremy

Post by geremy »

James_Degica wrote:
geremy wrote:Wow. Ok. That handicaps the game sooo much. Is the reticence just cost related? I have never played it before now and I have to say that I truly love the game...but the implementation leaves something to be desired. I guess I'm spoiled with your Cave ports where you can remap to any keys and scale the screens...with Game Tengoku you can't even go tate in the arcade+ mode! The game doesn't even remember your screen resolution or wallpaper settings. I could live with most of that if I could at least remap the keys, but there aren't any plans for that?

Very glad you like it, but that only makes your disappointment all the more... disappointing.

I can't really go into the reasons, but as with any project, some things get left out in favour of others.
The points you mention were all considered at one time, but didn't make the cut, unfortunately.

Out of interest, do you tend to play mainly on keys? If so why, and what's your preference?
I should back up and say I'm thankful to be able to play the game. I'm thankful that the port exists.

I play about 65% w/ keys because I like to play on portable. I use the arrow keys and usually map z,x,c & v keys to buttons. Right now I most of my shmups run on a surface, and that works nicely because I can rotate into tate if need be, and use whatever keyboard.
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

geremy wrote: I should back up and say I'm thankful to be able to play the game. I'm thankful that the port exists.

I play about 65% w/ keys because I like to play on portable. I use the arrow keys and usually map z,x,c & v keys to buttons. Right now I most of my shmups run on a surface, and that works nicely because I can rotate into tate if need be, and use whatever keyboard.
Thanks for the feedback!
Laptop: that makes sense, as do your prefered keys (I don't always have the luxury of a controller when QA'ing games, so keys are a godsend).
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Ps4, fyi this is 40% off on the JPN PSN right now..Special is 20% off
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

If any of the Powers That Be are reading this, is there any news concerning the timeframe for the physical release? Garegga's making an appearance in less than a week, and I haven't heard a peep about this one...
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

Where the very fuck is the tatsujin dlc on the EU PSN?

Actually, fuck that for now, where are the screen options on ps4?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Stevas wrote:Where the very fuck is the tatsujin dlc on the EU PSN?

Actually, fuck that for now, where are the screen options on ps4?
The same why we don't even have it on the US PS Store either. I've checked and only the JP PS Store has it for DLC, and currently on a sale too. (That, and on PC.)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I caved and picked up the Japanese collector's edition. So far, it's Homura that's the most fun of the DLC characters. Seeing the Tatsujin ship on-screen again after all these years puts a smile on my face, but the gameplay is a little underwhelming in that it lacks a charge shot. Homura on the other hand "bats" back enemy bullets in a shallow AOE arc, and has a "home-run" charge shot that's right on the edge of OP.

Super happy with this set, even if it was a bit pricey.The DVD was not region-locked, but it does lack subtitles. A fun watch non-the-less though for some of the action scenes.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

This is the set I snapped on, which does have all the DLC, Soundtrack(s), and OVA. Yet, does anyone know the difference between this one and the OTHER limited edition? Just the box art? I can't seem to find concrete details on why these two variants exist.
xxx128

Post by xxx128 »

Any word on a physical switch version?
plasticxo

Post by plasticxo »

Jonpachi wrote: This is the set I snapped on, which does have all the DLC, Soundtrack(s), and OVA. Yet, does anyone know the difference between this one and the OTHER limited edition? Just the box art? I can't seem to find concrete details on why these two variants exist.
The other limited edition (pink box) is the original japanese release on PS4 from 2017.
Here is the content :
- PS4 Game Tengoku CruisinMix
- Setting material collection
- DVD with OVA
- DLC for "Claris" as a playable character
- Reproduction script including scenario of OVA
- Drama CD

There will be even more confusion when the LRG version comes out as it uses the same box art (at least in the preview pics) as the first japanese version.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

plasticxo wrote:
Jonpachi wrote: This is the set I snapped on, which does have all the DLC, Soundtrack(s), and OVA. Yet, does anyone know the difference between this one and the OTHER limited edition? Just the box art? I can't seem to find concrete details on why these two variants exist.
The other limited edition (pink box) is the original japanese release on PS4 from 2017.
Here is the content :
- PS4 Game Tengoku CruisinMix
- Setting material collection
- DVD with OVA
- DLC for "Claris" as a playable character
- Reproduction script including scenario of OVA
- Drama CD

There will be even more confusion when the LRG version comes out as it uses the same box art (at least in the preview pics) as the first japanese version.
Thanks! I didn't know the book it came with was a script! I thought it was a memoir from the team or something.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I don't think there are enough versions of this game.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I just decided to buy the Steam version during the Golden Week Sale.

The localization work is amazing.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?