Game Tengoku Coming to PS4/PC/Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
prophetic

Re: Game Tengoku Coming to PS4/PC

Post by prophetic »

Neorebel wrote:So I just got the Cruisin Mix Special version from play-asia. https://www.play-asia.com/game-tengoku- ... /13/70c9bp

It seems like the situation is that since this version does not have all the DLC on the disc, there is really no way to get it unless I either buy it with a Japanese PSN account, or re-buy the game and DL the Tatsujin DLC from the US PSN store, since DLC is region specific, right? :-/
I have the Japanese Cruisin Mix Special, too. And yes, I bought the DLC on JP PSN.
FRO

Post by FRO »

The Limited Run Games iteration of this is shipping now, so anyone who ordered that should be seeing it soon.
Tokyo-J

Game Tengoku Paradise Cruisin Mix coming to Switch

Post by Tokyo-J »

Dispatch Games announced today that The Game Paradise: Crusin Mix Special will be coming to western markets this fall. Dispatch Games are planning a simultaneous release in both the US and Europe on Nintendo Switch™.

“We are extremely pleased to bring such a beloved title to the west” said Brian Schorr, Founder of Dispatch Games. “The Game Paradise: Crusin Mix Special adds yet another great shmup to our ever growing library of shooters.”

About The Game Paradise: Crusin Mix Special

The Game Paradise is Jaleco's self-parody-filled shooting game, full of tongue-in-cheek references to video game tropes and off-beat humor. Crusin Mix Special is the updated edition, brought to you by the original developers.

The Standard Edition includes:

The Game Paradise: Cruisin Mix Special for Nintendo Switch
DLC from previous version included on the cart. (Clarice, Homura Banto, Voice pack + Tatsujin)

The Limited Edition includes:

The Game Paradise: Cruisin Mix Special for Nintendo Switch
DLC from previous version included on the cart. (Clarice, Homura Banto, Voice pack + Tatsujin)
Memorial Works art book
Vinyl album AND CD soundtrack set
21 reproduction Jaleco game flyers
Custom Collectable Coin – Jaleco/Clarice Bomber

The Standard Edition will be available for $39.99.
The Limited Edition will be available for $99.99.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

How did the Switch port fare against the PC/PS4 versions? Did anyone here get that version?
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Logge1002

Re: Game Tengoku Paradise Cruisin Mix coming to Switch

Post by Logge1002 »

This has been released in Japan digitally for 2.900 yen. Comes with all dlcs.
Pointman

Post by Pointman »

Still needs scanlines.
Logge1002

Post by Logge1002 »

And the English translation.
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

Thank god i don’t have to wait a dispatch eternity to get this.
Logge1002

Post by Logge1002 »

Wittischism wrote:Thank god i don’t have to wait a dispatch eternity to get this.
That was the one reason I got it from Japan. Besides it only cost me 25€ for all dlcs and stuff.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

On a side note, anyone know who sang Game Tengoku's opening themes? I want to think it's Kumiko Nishihara...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G48gO13Rl_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88b4lL_GuSw
Special World

Re: Game Tengoku Coming to PS4/PC/Switch

Post by Special World »

Whoa, how did this fly under my radar? This looks rad. Does anyone want to sell me on the gameplay? I read a review that said it plays like wacky Psikyo, is that right? And is the scoring any good?

Pretty confused by all the different versions, but I guess I'd probably be going with the Dispatch edition for Switch at this point...
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Special World wrote:Whoa, how did this fly under my radar? This looks rad. Does anyone want to sell me on the gameplay? I read a review that said it plays like wacky Psikyo, is that right? And is the scoring any good?

Pretty confused by all the different versions, but I guess I'd probably be going with the Dispatch edition for Switch at this point...
"Wacky Psikyo" is pretty fair. The game has a fun sense of humor, and the whole conceit of traveling through an arcade (and console games) throughout various eras is visually well done. That said, I find it a bit messy and unbalanced. It's a game I pick up for a bit every once in a while, but not something I really dedicate myself to getting at 1CC on.

As for versions, there's really three key variants: A) The OG arcade game with the core cast, B) The Sega Saturn version, which adds a couple extra stages (Dragon Quest level FTW), C) The current "Cruisin' Mix" version which adds new DLC characters like the Tatsujin ship.

A key frustration with this port (at least the PS4 port) is that the DLC characters are only available in the new Cruisin' Mix mode, and this mode does NOT have the extra levels from the Saturn mode, and does NOT support Tate. It's so confusing why they did this, but that's how it is.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

perhaps it's just my imagination but I'm feeling some input lag on the PS4 port. I 1cc'd the first loop on the Saturn with a CRT back in 2013 but I can't even make it past the second level on this new version. Maybe I'm just horribly out of practice.

Input lag sure is a convenient excuse for sucking
MX7

Post by MX7 »

I don't know anything about input lag, but this is definitely amongst the hardest games I've ever played, like Image Fight or Pink Sweets level. It get particularly ridiculous on the space stage. A shame because I like the aesthetic. But it's like headbutting a brick wall.
YoniArousement

Game Tengoku CruisinMix Special

Post by YoniArousement »

As previously stated, I like the aesthetics of this game but surviving in it is a nightmare. It definitely feels like a Psikyo Shmup in some ways. I've only seen one 2-ALL for this game up on YouTube, which used most of his bombs against the 4th boss on both loops.

I extracted all the audio from the Switch version, which doesn't have the English translation for the menu text yet.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The Switch Japanese eshop version has the English translation? Hahaha, what the fuck is the hold-up Dispatch? Same thing with Psyvariar, the Japanese release (with English!) came out long before anyone hears a peep about Dispatch's own shitty work.

So glad I have this on Steam. No more giving any money to those morons after Psyvariar and Radirgy (which I BET you will have an English translation when the physical comes out).
Acid

Post by Acid »

Sorry if this was already answered, but is the PS4 version of CruisinMix Special on the Japanese store uncensored? Also, does it have an option for English subtitles?
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Acid wrote:Sorry if this was already answered, but is the PS4 version of CruisinMix Special on the Japanese store uncensored? Also, does it have an option for English subtitles?
There's nothing different in the releases as far as "censorship." Japan only censors violence and gore, not sexual things, and there's no violence or gore in this game. And the JP release does not have English subs.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I can't believe we're almost 2 years out and this still hasn't shipped.
Acid

Post by Acid »

This link seems to suggest the Japanese version has English and Japanese subtitles in the "further information" section.
https://www.play-asia.com/game-tengoku- ... /13/70c9bp
MachineAres 1CC

Acid wrote:This link seems to suggest the Japanese version has English and Japanese subtitles in the "further information" section.
Weird. If it does, they must have been added later with a patch. When I was playing the JP physical edition around when it came out, it did not have any English options. I got rid of my JP copy after I got a US one, so I can't test anymore to confirm.
Acid

Post by Acid »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Acid wrote:This link seems to suggest the Japanese version has English and Japanese subtitles in the "further information" section.
Weird. If it does, they must have been added later with a patch. When I was playing the JP physical edition around when it came out, it did not have any English options. I got rid of my JP copy after I got a US one, so I can't test anymore to confirm.
I just purchased it off the Japanese Playstation Store and can confirm English subtitles can be turned on and off, and the original art for Clarice's fourth bomb is in the game. Also, at least if you play the game on a Western account, all the trophy information is in English. I will also confirm that the game is wonderfully, eccentrically Japanese and impossible not to smile at.

I noticed on the Japanese store there are two versions of the game available: CruisinMix and CruisinMix Special. I got the Special version.
MachineAres 1CC

Acid wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote:
I just purchased it off the Japanese Playstation Store and can confirm English subtitles can be turned on and off, and the original art for Clarice's fourth bomb is in the game. Also, at least if you play the game on a Western account, all the trophy information is in English. I will also confirm that the game is wonderfully, eccentrically Japanese and impossible not to smile at.

I noticed on the Japanese store there are two versions of the game available: CruisinMix and CruisinMix Special. I got the Special version.
I'm pretty sure the Special version just has the DLC characters included.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

The resurfacing of this thread reminds me to change my avatar out. :lol:
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Acid wrote:Sorry if this was already answered, but is the PS4 version of CruisinMix Special on the Japanese store uncensored? Also, does it have an option for English subtitles?
There's nothing different in the releases as far as "censorship." Japan only censors violence and gore, not sexual things, and there's no violence or gore in this game. And the JP release does not have English subs.
Well...I'm not sure if it affects all versions on the PS4, but the only change was the removal of Clarice's 4th bomb illustration, though it is kept on the Steam version. (The Cheerleader one.) https://youtu.be/eZCJ9a30P_U?t=842

As for "sexual things" Ares, I dunno about that, most western made games that had JP releases (majority of them being the M-rated ones) had their content like that completely changed/censored. So they're not completely off the hook of censoring "sexual things" either. (Then again, 18+ stuff can vary of what's being censored or not.)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
MachineAres 1CC

NeoStrayCat wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Well...I'm not sure if it affects all versions on the PS4, but the only change was the removal of Clarice's 4th bomb illustration, though it is kept on the Steam version. (The Cheerleader one.) https://youtu.be/eZCJ9a30P_U?t=842
Well, I forgot that Sony recently started censoring all kinds of stuff that they previously wouldn't have. Who knows anymore.
As for "sexual things" Ares, I dunno about that, most western made games that had JP releases (majority of them being the M-rated ones) had their content like that completely changed/censored. So they're not completely off the hook of censoring "sexual things" either. (Then again, 18+ stuff can vary of what's being censored or not.)
Do you have any examples? I'm curious what stuff suffered that fate, but also, realistically, who would play Japanese releases of Western games when you have the western versions more easily available to you? Thanks!
Acid

Post by Acid »

MachineAres 1CC wrote: Do you have any examples? I'm curious what stuff suffered that fate, but also, realistically, who would play Japanese releases of Western games when you have the western versions more easily available to you? Thanks!
I don't know how exhaustive this list is but it has many examples. As I said before, the Japanese version has the original fourth bomb art. I prefer buying the Japanese release as I'd rather not support censorship regardless of how small it may be.
https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/850 ... -ps4-vita/