Discussion about the 3rd Annual Top 25 Shmups *Voting*

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

I wish I could update my list to add more games to it :lol:

Next year they will be added :wink:
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

SheSaidDutch wrote:I wish I could update my list to add more games to it :lol:

Next year they will be added :wink:
dittto
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
nullstar

Post by nullstar »

Herr Schatten wrote:You will want to make sure that people who voted for Parodius without specifying a version mean indeed the MSX game and not Parodius Da!, as the latter often is referred to as just "Parodius" by many.
Thanks for catching this! Is it correct to say, then, that the original Parodius was not ported to any other platforms?
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Yep. It appeared on the MSX collection for Saturn and PS1, but I believe those were emulations.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

I'm just curious..

so Atomic Robo-Kid is considered a shmup?
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

llaoyllakcuf wrote:I'm just curious..

so Atomic Robo-Kid is considered a shmup?
IMHO: Yes without a doubt!

But picky people could start complaining about the sometimes non-forced scrolling...which I personally find a non-issue (Pocky & Rocky is a shmup too as far as I am concerned).
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Atomic Robo-Kid is like the opposite of In the Hunt: gravity with forced scrolling rather than no gravity with free scrolling... I'd say it's shmup enough.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

cool!

definitely one of my fav games; I even picked up the PCB

I just love the character/enemy designs.
nullstar

Post by nullstar »

AngryCoder:

I don't believe I've received a reply to my PM asking whether your Zanac vote was for the MSX version or the NES version (AKA Zanac EX on the MSX). You probably sent it during one of the recent forum hiccups, but please do so again.

(I'll assume the vote is for the NES version if I don't hear anything from you by the 30th.)
nullstar

Batsugun vs. Batsugun special version

Post by nullstar »

Just want to gauge if there's consensus that Batsugun and Batsugun Special Version are different enough to warrant being treated as separate games -- or whether the differences are actually minor. I've only ever played the original arcade version.

My assumption -- given that so many people explicitly specified special version in their votes -- is that the games really are different and ought to be tallied separately...
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Re: Batsugun vs. Batsugun special version

Post by Thunder Force »

nullstar wrote:Just want to gauge if there's consensus that Batsugun and Batsugun Special Version are different enough to warrant being treated as separate games -- or whether the differences are actually minor. I've only ever played the original arcade version.

My assumption -- given that so many people explicitly specified special version in their votes -- is that the games really are different and ought to be tallied separately...
I suggest keeping them separate for Hi Score purposes but combine them for the purposes of this poll.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
alpha5099

Re: Batsugun vs. Batsugun special version

Post by alpha5099 »

nullstar wrote:Just want to gauge if there's consensus that Batsugun and Batsugun Special Version are different enough to warrant being treated as separate games -- or whether the differences are actually minor. I've only ever played the original arcade version.

I wouldn't seperate them. I only play Batsugun Special Version, but I voted for "Batsugun." I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people only specified Batsugun when in fact they spend most of their time with the Special Ver.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Is tommorow still the expected day for the results?
Hope so since I am very curious about the results this year! :)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!