Project RXN [Gulti]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Despatche

Re: Project RXN [Gulti]

Post by Despatche »

It's funny how people always say that's how buying games works, even though noone ever actually buys games like that. It's also funny because you have a quote in your sig about all of this.

Most actual human beings just buy the mass-market AAA stuff at full price, then buy everything else on the deepest sale or biggest bundle they can find but never even run the game once; in not-so-extreme cases, such as shmups, most of the games may as well not exist to these people and aren't even bought for the pennies that deep sales reduce them to. Everyone else, they've already played most of those "plenty of cheaper games", once or twice ever of course, and are just waiting for the right time to complain about not having anything to play.

This is all ignoring that RXN, specifically, has a pretty great review that was posted right here in this thread. No member of these forums can pull that excuse.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

So what are you saying, that we should buy RXN at whatever price it's at on the basis of one review because it's a shmup and that's what true shmup fans do? After reading that review, I still see no reason why, even if I had a Switch, I should shell out for this game rather than stick to everything I already have. Even if it plays fine, the only things notable about it to me are the 16:9 aspect ratio and the mission-based format, neither of which make me go "wow I want to play this." Oh, and the fact that it's on the Switch, which I guess could be a factor if I were really looking for shmups on the Switch. $40 is well beyond impulse-purchase level, at least for me, so I really can't blame anybody for not dropping everything they're doing and rushing to buy this. Competent isn't enough when you're competing against everything that's ever been released in the past - that's what replayability does to a market.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

No, I'm saying that this whole forum needs to finally get rid of all their stupid bogeymen like worrying about what "true shmup fans" do, and ask themselves if they even care about new games coming out in this genre anymore. The idea that any game ever made in the history of the world "competes against everything that's ever been released in the past", is a complete lie that noone in this forum genuinely believes. They say it to make themselves feel better about how little they care about these games. This claim is also never allowed to touch their childhood favorites, ever, no matter what.

Stop making excuses. Ask yourselves why you claim to care so much about this genre when nothing ever comes of it, and when you've got basically noone else to talk to because noone else cares either. Ask yourselves why you decide to act like shithead professional reviewers for very specific games, personally picking and choosing these games entirely on the word of mouth of someone else who hasn't played it either, and (especially when you get called out for that) phrasing everything in those same pseudointellectual goalposts about "being a good consumer".

I can answer all of these questions, but I don't even have to, because I don't spend year after year after year after year being a gigantic hypocrite about everything relating to this genre. Even then, I still deeply question why I still bother after all these years, because the situation gets worse and worse and worse and worse every single time that four digit number increments.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Shepardus wrote:Kind of hard to justify dropping $40 on the possibility that it might be good, when there are plenty of cheaper games out there that give off a better first impression (and many of which have free trials so you know what you're getting yourself into).
Exactly.... Bananamatic might be talking a lot of shit (and it's my impression he always has been?), but he's right on his original point - if the game looks like total ass, why the hell would anyone drop $40 on it on the slight, unlikely chance that it's not ass?

I'd think it's a fair assumption that if the developers had the skill to make "the shooter that we were waiting for", they might have had the skill to actually make it look like it, too.

Cave were masters at doing that, even when they were trying to squeeze in lolis through every crack that they could.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Because it doesn't actually look like ass (or sound like it going by that writeup) and people are dogpiling it because this community has always done that.

If people did this during the PS2 years, we wouldn't have had anything to play. Sometimes they actually did do just this, like with Raiden III, but at least they played the games anyway.

Things are different now. As a default rule, people don't play these games anymore. But they continue to dogpile as per usual.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The game thoroughly manages to look like ass :)
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Despatche wrote:No, I'm saying that this whole forum needs to finally get rid of all their stupid bogeymen like worrying about what "true shmup fans" do, and ask themselves if they even care about new games coming out in this genre anymore. The idea that any game ever made in the history of the world "competes against everything that's ever been released in the past", is a complete lie that noone in this forum genuinely believes. They say it to make themselves feel better about how little they care about these games. This claim is also never allowed to touch their childhood favorites, ever, no matter what.

Stop making excuses. Ask yourselves why you claim to care so much about this genre when nothing ever comes of it, and when you've got basically noone else to talk to because noone else cares either. Ask yourselves why you decide to act like shithead professional reviewers for very specific games, personally picking and choosing these games entirely on the word of mouth of someone else who hasn't played it either, and (especially when you get called out for that) phrasing everything in those same pseudointellectual goalposts about "being a good consumer".

I can answer all of these questions, but I don't even have to, because I don't spend year after year after year after year being a gigantic hypocrite about everything relating to this genre. Even then, I still deeply question why I still bother after all these years, because the situation gets worse and worse and worse and worse every single time that four digit number increments.
While I appreciate your passion, this is one of your more baffling posts. Usually the ones to make the rallying cries to get everyone out into the streets and spreading the good word are new members who just discovered the genre. I always get a kick out of it, but this endless fundraising aspect where all true fans need to donate blood to M2 and buy the annual port of Ketsui does get a bit tiring.

To answer your question, no, I don't care if a single new shmup comes out ever again. The implication that this means I don't care about these games or play them anymore is strange to me. I play them all the time and plan on continuing to do so. The problem is there are only so many hours in the day. I've barely scratched my top 25 shmups that I voted on and likely won't give them all the time they deserve in this lifetime. My plate is full. I have other obligations to worry about over the health of the industry. If anything, I have to wonder how much anyone perpetually waiting for the next game around the corner is playing these games. Each one takes so much time. My hope is to get a handful of decent scores in my favorites, then spend the rest of my time on other hobbies, working, and raising my kids and hopefully living long enough to see them become independent, mature adults who spend their time complaining about input lag on the internet.
clippa

Post by clippa »

I can remember checking the countdown and being excited that it was coming and then there was the reveal where we saw the first gameplay and my heart sank, it looked pretty poor and rushed and janky, but I was still going to pick it up and give it a chance, and then without warning, suddenly it wasn't coming to steam any more and was a switch exclusive and had a hefty "switch tax" on the price tag. I have a switch but nothing to play shmups on it with.
All those little things added up and I just forgot about it.
If they do end up bringing it to steam in the future, I'll definitely give it a go.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

NTSC-J wrote:all true fans need to donate blood to M2 and buy the annual port of Ketsui
<3

Remember when Ketsui was the coolest Cave game because the only way to play it was to own the PCB or live near a Japanese arcade? :P
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

ketsui is still the coolest cave game 8) it plays really well on mame
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Ketsui wasn't cool. Ketsui is really cool 8)
qmish

Post by qmish »

Most actual human beings just buy the mass-market AAA stuff at full price, then buy everything else on the deepest sale or biggest bundle they can find but never even run the game once
wtf with those people

buy at full price or discount and play damn game
clippa

Post by clippa »

There are people like that, they fetishize buying games, get addicted to it, or buy stuff just because it's on sale. You often see people on forums talking about their "backlog", saying things like "I'm going to start working my way through my backlog".
Turning their hobby into a chore. Sucking all the joy out of gaming. It's sad to see.

There was one guy on a forum I used to go to who had bought nearly everything released on the switch since it came out, including digital only, and one guy who had vowed to play and do a short review of a different game every day of the year to work through his "backlog".

If I see a game I'm interested in, I buy it and play it. It does make you wonder if that sort of behaviour is the symptom of something else rather than the main problem. Very odd though, there are a lot of people like that, especially pc gamers where you get games going for pennies in sales and there are bundles you can subscribe to.
Last edited by clippa on Mon May 07, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Hey, don't shame people for having a backlog. I don't see any reason to build a backlog on anything other than stuff you are hoping to play, though.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Hehe, I'm not shaming anyone, I'm concerned, if anything.
It just doesn't seem like a fun way to spend your free time, that's all. I'd just cut my losses, forget about it and play whatever I fancied.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I get a handful of game time per week to play games. A lot of times, a game might go on sale that I want to eventually play, but that pitiful timeframe can'd handle anything else, so I just buy it and put it aside for a rainy day.

I honestly have no idea how so many people can do shit like, buy a 50 hour rpg on release day and have it done in 1-2 weeks. Trails in The Sky Part 1 and 2 took me almost 2 years to playthrough. I guess part of that is that I treat games that I love like a good book: get all my obligations out of the way, and curl up all cozy on a weekend night to play.

But anyway yeah, I don't think in terms of "backlog". I very much emphasize just picking my next game based on what I'm "feeling" at the moment.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
qmish

Post by qmish »

backlog
Backlog is all those games i would like to play in the future, be it what i already have or what i havent got yet. It's inevitable if you're passionate into games and are interested in many titles and genres.

And yes i can buy something for full price and only get to finally play it years later cause i dont have time/mood for it now or smth.
clippa

Post by clippa »

You wouldn't fret about it though, would you?
If it was starting to make me feel anxious and guilty and I was forcing myself to play games I didn't want to or if it was keeping me from buying a new game I really wanted to play, I'd just move on, forget about it.
Christ, life is stressful enough without having that sort of thing spilling over into your me-time as well.

Did anyone buy RXN and not get round to playing it yet? :P
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

This is now 999 Yen 75 Percent off.

https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000001593
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Tokyo-J wrote:This is now 999 Yen 75 Percent off.

https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000001593
Should've been the regular price IMO.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

Bananamatic wrote:it doesn't even have a goddamn dpad
I am the only one who can use "dpad" on switch without any problem in some really hard games?
Mero

Post by Mero »

Gulti have changed their name to Kayac Akiba Studio.
louisg

Post by louisg »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:I just posted a review of the game for my site, I'm fairly impressed with it, but it's certainly not groundbreaking or anything.

http://selective-hearing.com/game-review-rxn-raijin/

Seems discussion around this has mostly died, though that's not terribly surprising, given the nature of the shmups forum and how most games that break the mold a little bit are treated.
Nice review! I picked the physical release up recently and have been trying to get a handle on the chain/break mechanic. I like what they're doing with the widescreen format. Anyone have any tips to share?
Humans, think about what you have done
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

You should feel “Gulti” for not putting this on ps4, I guess you don’t like money.. But hey, whatever system is easier to program for, but I will never buy a fkn switch.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

What a strange post.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

There have been stranger posts. I am just jaded about this jumping around consoles over the years for “THE shmup system” . It is no wonder why people just bail to steam now. But yeah, that was a bit off topic and over the top post..
gavme

Post by gavme »

Has anyone managed to get past level 017A? I've grinded myself up to level 40 but I can't even make a dent in this bosses energy meter. I can't work out what I'm doing wrong.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

gavme wrote:Has anyone managed to get past level 017A? I've grinded myself up to level 40 but I can't even make a dent in this bosses energy meter. I can't work out what I'm doing wrong.
Yeah, after hitting one or two roadblocks that had me go and grind for a while, I managed to beat the game. Problem was though I couldn't really notice much of a difference after grinding (except my 'Normal' gem counter kept rising and falling between levels, whereas all the other elements maxed out and stayed that way IIRC).

So I had to wear the bosses down the old fashioned way, which was tricky at first because some of the patterns are extremely fast. I had the best luck with the mech that has directional vulcan/homing shot/laser, (laser seemed pretty effective most of the time), and made sure to capitalize on those things floating around that raise your shot level to 3. It was also a case of just learning the hitbox of my craft and once I was more comfortable I stopped tanking hits. Don't forget your bomb recharges constantly but eats part of your life bar, use it tactically and just take care not to take multiple hits in a short space of time.

A lot of the bosses are recycled later on, so I kept seeing the same patterns over and over again - but by that stage I was beating these boss clones first time since I already knew their tricks from before.

As for some of the more difficult non-boss stages, I found the blue haired guy who has the super wide vulcan shot the most useful since the coverage will make sure you tag most enemies before they become an issue. The chick had my least favoured weapon spread overall.

In the end I enjoyed my time with the game and it's interesting take on the genre, but the repetition started to kill my enthusiasm through the last half.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Never got a chance to reply to this.
NTSC-J wrote:While I appreciate your passion, this is one of your more baffling posts. Usually the ones to make the rallying cries to get everyone out into the streets and spreading the good word are new members who just discovered the genre. I always get a kick out of it, but this endless fundraising aspect where all true fans need to donate blood to M2 and buy the annual port of Ketsui does get a bit tiring.
I've honestly never noticed this. It seems to be a pretty even mix of people who've fetishized Ketsui (or whatever game) for a while and people who are joining the wave. I agree that worshipping a port developer is kinda ridiculous and that's actually why I'm throwing weight behind games like Raiden V and RXN, new games that are good instead of yet another port of an older game most people are at least familiar with.
NTSC-J wrote:To answer your question, no, I don't care if a single new shmup comes out ever again. The implication that this means I don't care about these games or play them anymore is strange to me. I play them all the time and plan on continuing to do so. The problem is there are only so many hours in the day. I've barely scratched my top 25 shmups that I voted on and likely won't give them all the time they deserve in this lifetime. My plate is full. I have other obligations to worry about over the health of the industry. If anything, I have to wonder how much anyone perpetually waiting for the next game around the corner is playing these games. Each one takes so much time. My hope is to get a handful of decent scores in my favorites, then spend the rest of my time on other hobbies, working, and raising my kids and hopefully living long enough to see them become independent, mature adults who spend their time complaining about input lag on the internet.
I agree with every last word of this, and it's why I do respect what M2 does. I feel like there needs to be more of a push for rediscovering older games and playing them seriously. Things like the Vasara Collection are going to go completely misunderstood by anyone who doesn't live in Japan. I think that can be changed.

I'm not really talking about the people who recognize there are way too many games in this genre. I'm talking about the people who don't recognize that, who go on and on about the genre being "dead" and that it needs to be "revived" somehow. (Yeah, I guess I sorta do that, but it's not really in the same spirit.) I'm more concerned about the people who play these games than with new games coming out. I rep games like Raiden V and RXN because most people don't seem like they really enjoy playing the games they claim to love so much at all, and it seems like what they're looking for is a change of pace. I get frustrated when people seem to care more about flash than gameplay, and I get frustrated even more when a game with both flash and gameplay gets all this praise and then just kinda... fades into the void.

Things didn't used to be like that. This genre has been niche for a long time now, but supposedly things are better now than they used to be... except people in general seem less willing to put their free time towards anything, let alone interesting new games they might enjoy. People really did used to do that. Example, you know as well as I do that we had people willing to rep newer doujin releases from time to time. I'm basically all that's left of that, and there isn't really anyone interested in joining me.

There's clearly something wrong here, and it's something people haven't been talking about.