Raiden V: Director's Cut for PS4 to be released by UFO Int.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jonpachi

Re: Raiden V: Director's Cut for PS4 to be released by UFO I

Post by Jonpachi »

GFoyle wrote:The visibility of some of the bullets is one of the issues in the game on all consoles, so having it on small screen on Switch is not really the something which would be caused by bad porting. Of course the problem becomes worse if you need to use worse resolution too when playing docked.

Some of those things mentioned as critique for the port sound like relatively minor things and not like it's really badly made port. Same thing for the Caladrius, I couldn't personally care less if the sound is in mono and not in stereo if that is really the case with that port.

From the two MOSS releases, I personally prefer Caladrius. I feel it's more varied, not that overly long, doesn't have the same visibility problems, doesn't have the stupid story text on the game area all the time and so on. It's also enjoyable on portable mode for more casual playing.
You can turn off the on-screen subtitles by pressing R. It's really dumb they're on by default since there's that absurd chat log on the right of the screen anyway.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

Jonpachi wrote:You can turn off the on-screen subtitles by pressing R. It's really dumb they're on by default since there's that absurd chat log on the right of the screen anyway.
Oh didn't know that, I never thought such option would not in the options...
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I don't get why everyone is always bothered by the dialogue. At least it isn't annoying like in Triggerheart Exelica or the Assault Suits series.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

I turned the dialogue off (volume off) because I didn't want to hear the same things again and again on every run. I was more annoyed by adding the transcription directly to the screen when it was also already on the right side too (and I didn't know before you can take it away with a button during gameplay)
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm used to it. Hell, I can put up with Eshiria's criticisms as long as I don't screw up so many times.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

xxx1993 wrote:I don't get why everyone is always bothered by the dialogue. At least it isn't annoying like in Triggerheart Exelica or the Assault Suits series.
I keep seeing you write this but the situation is literally the opposite of what you just wrote. The sound balance, dumb coffee talk and awful VO delivery make Raiden V's dialogue completely muteworthy. No way do I want nonsense like that murmuring through the music, which is honestly the biggest saving grace to this game. Get over it buddy.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

The idea of having your commanders looking on and reacting to gameplay is solid, but the designers felt the need to fill in every moment with speech and the characters just babble on like sport-casters. At one point the main guy goes off on a tangent about South American coffee... Instead of adding to the experience, it makes me feel like the commanders are bored of watching me. Aren't we on a life-or-death mission?
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Sorry. But unlike a lot of people I can just get used to it. Do you guys hate the Japanese voice acting as well? And besides, didn’t the Xbox 360 version of DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou contain a ton of dialogue during gameplay as well?
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

xxx1993 wrote:Sorry. But unlike a lot of people I can just get used to it. Do you guys hate the Japanese voice acting as well? And besides, didn’t the Xbox 360 version of DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou contain a ton of dialogue during gameplay as well?
It really depends where the voice acting is, as well, not just how much of it there is. In Raiden V, the Japanese voices are leaps and bounds better than the horrible English ones, but they just play during gameplay, they don't actually interrupt the gameplay like SaiDaiOuJou or Triggerheart, where the game literally stops while the characters banter back and forth for a while. Raiden's dialogue doesn't break the flow of the game (like the medal collection missions do in the Director's Cut :wink: )
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

xxx1993 wrote:Sorry. But unlike a lot of people I can just get used to it. Do you guys hate the Japanese voice acting as well? And besides, didn’t the Xbox 360 version of DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou contain a ton of dialogue during gameplay as well?
The xbox arrange did and it was just as irritating, especially when the audio cut to long beeps. I was worried there was an issue with my system at first. Japanese or not, it detracts heavily when it never ends.

Look guy, it's one thing to say you get used to it or whatever, but its another altogether to keep getting all offended and bringing it up again and again and again and again when it's clear most people just didn't care for the constant, useless, annoying, boring, chatter. It's almost as bad as the DRM guy. You're clearly in the tiny minority that likes this "feature" which in the eyes of many is a big series misstep. It just wouldn't be an issue if it were kept between stages and skippable or even disable-able.
Jonpachi wrote:The idea of having your commanders looking on and reacting to gameplay is solid, but the designers felt the need to fill in every moment with speech and the characters just babble on like sport-casters. At one point the main guy goes off on a tangent about South American coffee... Instead of adding to the experience, it makes me feel like the commanders are bored of watching me. Aren't we on a life-or-death mission?
This, pretty much.
MachineAres 1CC wrote:It really depends where the voice acting is, as well, not just how much of it there is. In Raiden V, the Japanese voices are leaps and bounds better than the horrible English ones, but they just play during gameplay, they don't actually interrupt the gameplay like SaiDaiOuJou or Triggerheart, where the game literally stops while the characters banter back and forth for a while. Raiden's dialogue doesn't break the flow of the game (like the medal collection missions do in the Director's Cut :wink: )
Also this. Of course, in Triggerheart, all dialogue can be skipped and modes also exist if you don't want to deal with the story at all. Tadaa.
-
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

What peeves me about SaiDaiOuJou is that the dialogue is in complete Japanese. There isn't even an English subtitle option.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

xxx1993 wrote:What peeves me about SaiDaiOuJou is that the dialogue is in complete Japanese. There isn't even an English subtitle option.
But uhhhh.... that's kind of to be expected. You know, from a Japan-only release and all. :roll:
-
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Which is why I'm hoping one of these days, someone finally translates it for once.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

xxx1993 wrote:Which is why I'm hoping one of these days, someone finally translates it for once.
Oh yeah, that'll probably happen any day now. You could probably hold your breath on that one. :lol:
-
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

It's already been six years, though...
werk91

Post by werk91 »

So I'm better off with the Steam or PS4 versions on this one yeah? Wish I waited a bit before picking up Vasara Collection as well... :)
FRO

Post by FRO »

xxx1993 wrote:I don't get why everyone is always bothered by the dialogue. At least it isn't annoying like in Triggerheart Exelica or the Assault Suits series.
If the dialogue was more interesting, delivered with a little more life to it, or was composed of less stilted lines (somewhat clumsily translated, as they are), it might not be so bad. Philosoma did near-constant dialogue right in a shmup. It was reasonably well voice acted, and was at least marginally interesting. Same with the original Silpheed. But what we got in Raiden V is bland, and just becomes obtrusive.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I was never too crazy about Philosoma. Especially since we never see the characters. And don't get me started on the sequel Phase Paradox, which is essentially Resident Evil in space.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

xxx1993 wrote:I was never too crazy about Philosoma. Especially since we never see the characters.
I like Philosoma because you can't see the characters. Miles better than Raiden V like Game Boy Guru said when it comes to the dialogue.
xxx1993 wrote:And don't get me started on the sequel Phase Paradox, which is essentially Resident Evil in space.
Literally no one brought that up but you. C'mon...
Last edited by RawlingGunnar on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

werk91 wrote:So I'm better off with the Steam or PS4 versions on this one yeah? Wish I waited a bit before picking up Vasara Collection as well... :)
I'd say so, yes. Still the weakest in the series, imo, but PS4 seems to be the best route to take if you need a disc. Dunno about Steam, but in theory it should hold up.
-
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Actually, another reason why I don't like Philosoma is because of how bleak the premise is. The first game ends on a cliffhanger and like I said earlier, the second game is basically Resident Evil in space. What I like about Raiden V is how the characters are communicating directly to me at times.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

RawlingGunnar wrote:
werk91 wrote:So I'm better off with the Steam or PS4 versions on this one yeah? Wish I waited a bit before picking up Vasara Collection as well... :)
I'd say so, yes. Still the weakest in the series, imo, but PS4 seems to be the best route to take if you need a disc. Dunno about Steam, but in theory it should hold up.
It's regularly on sale on GOG too if you're looking for a DRM free version.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

xxx1993 wrote:Actually, another reason why I don't like Philosoma is because of how bleak the premise is.

Bleak premise >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>coffee talk.
xxx1993 wrote:like I said earlier, the second game is basically Resident Evil in space.

For someone who doesn;t want to get started on "Resident evil in space", you've done a good job of bringing it up twice all on your own.
xxx1993 wrote:What I like about Raiden V is how the characters are communicating directly to me at times.
So you want to be directly communicated to - in basically a mumble thanks to the sound balance - about how buddy at homebase is missing out on his precious cup of joe? DDPSDOJ and Leynos do a better job to communicating directly, but those are irritating? Make up your mind.
-
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

Leviathan wrote:
It's regularly on sale on GOG too if you're looking for a DRM free version.
This too, if DRM bothers you like it does to MathU.
-
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

At least unlike Leynos, the dialogue doesn't interrupt the gameplay, and the Raiden pilot remains completely anonymous. YOU are supposed to be the Raiden.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

One issue I've noted with the English dialogue in Raiden V DC is that it wasn't properly edited. There are several instances of characters repeating lines with a slightly different delivery (no doubt to get a better take while they were in the studio). That said, I don't really mind the English voiced dialogue (I can easily tune most of it out while playing)... even at max volume, it's still rather soft in comparison to the sound effects (which are over powering and need to be turned down) and the music (which at max volume comes in at what I would consider normal audio balance).
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

That's one thing I can agree with. Some of the dialogue needs some serious patching. I was thinking of contacting Rina Hoshino (Eshiria's English voice) about this.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

xxx1993 wrote:That's one thing I can agree with. Some of the dialogue needs some serious patching. I was thinking of contacting Rina Hoshino (Eshiria's English voice) about this.
That's creepy.
-
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

What, I can't tell her about the dialogue errors the game has?
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

xxx1993 wrote:What, I can't tell her about the dialogue errors the game has?
God, no. That falls on UFO and MOSS, not the voice actress.
-