Raiden V: Director's Cut for PS4 to be released by UFO Int.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
iconoclast

Re: Raiden V: Director's Cut for PS4 to be released by UFO I

Post by iconoclast »

Turn cheer connect off in the options or play offline, see if that stops the crashes. If that works, then the recent patch either hasn't been applied to the western release or it's still broken.
Ninjatemper

Post by Ninjatemper »

iconoclast wrote:Turn cheer connect off in the options or play offline, see if that stops the crashes. If that works, then the recent patch either hasn't been applied to the western release or it's still broken.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that tonight.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I'm starting to think the vast majority of crashes will happen in the Missions...

I'm also starting to think the localization doesn't have the patch, whether the patch ever worked or not. You can blame UFO for that one.
Shepardus wrote:(which by the way really ought to be nuked from orbit)
Again?
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Got a refund from CDKeys, with the "due to unforeseen circumstances" excuse. Seems pretty simple to me. They either 1) didn't get enough keys and sold some before they filled all of their preorders, or 2) they never got any keys. So if anyone is still waiting for their key from them, now you know what will likely happen.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

ZellSF wrote:but Raiden V has a worse problem: it doesn't control its own game speed. Have a 120hz monitor? It will run at 2X speed unless you also run a framerate limiter.
So... does this mean if you set your monitor to 30hz, you can play the game at half-speed and submit pseudo-TAS scores to the leaderboard? I seem to remember hearing something to that effect when Sine Mora did a similar thing.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

You can do that with most PC shmups, if not through the refresh rate then through other tools like CPU limiters. Some such as Touhou games at least attempt to record the amount of slowdown relative to real time and save that in replays.
Last edited by Shepardus on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Huh, interesting. I kinda suspected that might be the case, but never confirmed it for myself. I guess I'll keep that in mind if I ever make something with scoring or replays.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

So just had a pretty good run through stage 5 in the game

....course I didn't realize that turning off network cheer also disables score uploading :(

seems like a dumb thing to require for score submission, considering its somewhat variable nature depending on the level of activity, not to mention the annoying as hell sound when you receive a cheer that as of right now, doesn't stfu through an entire run lol
munchiaz

Post by munchiaz »

drunkninja24 wrote:So just had a pretty good run through stage 5 in the game

....course I didn't realize that turning off network cheer also disables score uploading :(

seems like a dumb thing to require for score submission, considering its somewhat variable nature depending on the level of activity, not to mention the annoying as hell sound when you receive a cheer that as of right now, doesn't stfu through an entire run lol
You can toggle that by changing the UI. I think its like L2 or R2 on ps4
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

drunkninja24 wrote:....course I didn't realize that turning off network cheer also disables score uploading :(
Does it really? I never disabled it on PS4, but I almost always had it disabled on Xbox and it never affected score uploading. Leaderboards almost always take a few minutes to update on Playstation from my experience, so maybe your score is up by now.

By the way, does this game have region based leaderboards on the PS4? Japanese scores are pretty compact on everything below Hard, but I saw a stream from someone who bought the western version that made them look barren.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Yep, retract what I said about score uploading, I was just impatient lol

Good hint on the L2/R2 buttons too, I play on stick and plug those buttons so that's why I didn't notice lol, just some remapping seemed to work
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, the soundtrack in this is quite rousing.

I don't know what the hell they were thinking with all that talking. I just turned it off. Was the JP version in Japanese? These American actors sound like they are half asleep.

Also, no TATE? They REALLY need an option to turn the subtitles off. The ones on the gaming screen, not the sides. That seems like a real oversight.
Any chance of them patching this in, or is that just how it is?

I like the game a lot better than I thought I would, judging from the vids, and not being much of a Raiden fan. It looks a lot nicer than I thought (although things look small on my TV, and if I could TATE it, it would solve that problem), and has some pretty fast paced action.

Oh man, but the story stuff....Jesus Christ....at least you can turn the voices off. Just terrible.
munchiaz

Post by munchiaz »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Well, the soundtrack in this is quite rousing.

I don't know what the hell they were thinking with all that talking. I just turned it off. Was the JP version in Japanese? These American actors sound like they are half asleep.

Also, no TATE? They REALLY need an option to turn the subtitles off. The ones on the gaming screen, not the sides. That seems like a real oversight.

I like the game a lot better than I thought I would, judging from the vids, and not being much of a Raiden fan. It looks a lot nicer than I thought (although things look small on my TV, and if I could TATE it, it would solve that problem), and has some pretty fast paced action.

Oh man, but the story stuff....Jesus Christ....at least you can turn the voices off. Just terrible.

You can also remove the dialog on the screen. Its one of the L or R buttons on ps4.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

On the PC version it was possible to change it to the Japanese version which had Japanese voice acting.

From what I've read, it's been patched out. Because trying to prevent people reverse importing your game at 35$ is more important than fixing game breaking issues.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

munchiaz wrote:

You can also remove the dialog on the screen. Its one of the L or R buttons on ps4.
Oh thank God.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Okay, after a bit more time here are my thoughts:

- To anyone grumbling about how this isn't a "real" Raiden game I only say this: it's got dull yellow bullets on a dull yellow background, you're darn tootin' it's a bona fide Raiden, sonny. :P

- Yeah, the shield is Totally Not Hardcore, but you know what? In a series that's become synonymous with the phrase "sniper tank", I have to admit I like having a bit of extra padding between a single hard-to-see attack and the Game Over screen, especially in a game as lengthy as this one. If you're really that bothered by it you can turn the starting shield amount down in the Options menu. It might be my imagination but the hitbox feels smaller than usual too, and no, I don't mind that either. :P

- The constant chatter can be turned down as well, but personally I find myself leaving it on, just because of how ridiculous it is: even putting aside how frequently they apparently don't realize hostiles are around until you've already been fighting them for five minutes, there's the completely unrelated, bizarre silliness (favorite line so far: "I'm not interested in black fluids!" second place: "That question is above your rank...but I'm bad at keeping secrets, so I'll tell you" :lol:).

I think I'm even more amused by it because this is Raiden we're talking about, the poster child for no-frills, "to-the-point" shooters, and now after a quarter-century it suddenly has enough "story" to never shut up the whole way through. I picture the storyline guy at the developer, who's been quietly toiling away since the Seibu days, finally bursting from his office with dynamite strapped to his chest, screaming "My magnum opus will not be held back a second longer!" :lol:

- The "cheer" mechanic is one of the most bizarre concepts I can remember seeing, not just in a shmup but in any game; back to my imaginary visions of Moss's office, I see one overenthusiastic dude who insists on bringing the idea up at every single meeting, insisting that this is what will finally bring the scrolling shooter into the social media age, as everyone else gives each other worried glances that silently say "...well, he's the CEO's nephew..." :lol: I frankly can't imagine it remaining active very long, but I certainly don't mind having, effectively, an extra bomb at the ready; I almost wish they'd enabled an "auto-cheer" option that automatically responds to incoming messages, which would kind of kill the point, but would also make me feel less like a lab rat pushing a button for food pellets every few moments. :P

- Just to echo everyone else, though, yeah, even though this isn't an arcade game proper, they should have given players the option to ditch all the extra fluff and enable good ol' tate mode. Guess there's just not enough demand for it overall, though, even in Japan.

- As someone who's always been rather "meh" when it comes to Raiden's visual style (both 2D and 3D), I have to say that somehow it just feels..."better-realized" this time around, for lack of a better term? It's tough to put my finger on exactly what it is, but while the visuals are hardly groundbreaking I just found myself actually enjoying them a bit here; I also liked the concept art in the gallery, it just struck me as having a bit more "soul" than usual, somehow. I also liked how the screen would sometimes zoom in or out to either give you a better view of what's ahead or tense things up in cramped quarters; I'm trying to think of another shooter which has done that, but for what it's worth I kind of dig it.

- Another positive is the weapon variety, which calls to mind the "Fighters" spinoffs, in a good way; offhand it seemed that a good amount of loadouts could be viable, though as per usual success seems more dependent on remembering which sections of which stages are bets-suited for which weapons, and switching accordingly. The "diamond" laser acted weird for me sometimes, though...got stuck behind an enemy and couldn't be called back, which was irritating. I did like being able to stop shooting to collect all onscreen medals; the time required wasn't overly long, but still enough to be a bit of a risk, as it should be.

- I didn't mind the mid-stage transitions in and of themselves, but the fact that they come so abruptly with no warning is irritating; until you've memorized each level's layout you're likely to keep leaving medals onscreen (they're apparently not auto-collected when a segment ends) and/or waste "cheer" attacks on the last few seconds of a sub-level.

So, overall, while I certainly wouldn't call this one an all-time favorite, it's also not the complete disaster it could sometimes look like from a distance; granted, anyone who liked Raiden the way it was will find plenty of legitimate reasons to hate this, and those who were never huge fans to begin with will find numerous legacy annoyances very much alive and well, but in my personal view the newfangled additions, unsettlingly weird as they can be, aren't the death sentence they might have been, and in some ways are actually kind of welcome if you're not a series purist. If nothing else, the ultimate fuddy-duddy "get off my lawn" series is finally trying something a little bit different, and IMO deserves at least a little credit for that in and of itself, alongside the also-well-deserved bit of mockery.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I think the music is pretty darn good too.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

ZellSF wrote:

On the PC version it was possible to change it to the Japanese version which had Japanese voice acting.

From what I've read, it's been patched out. Because trying to prevent people reverse importing your game at 35$ is more important than fixing game breaking issues.
I've managed to get Japanese voices playing with English text. You can do it yourself by navigating to rom/media/voice in the Raiden V game folder, copying the content inside the jpn folder and replacing everything inside the eng folder with it. If it turns out to be true that the JP voices were deleted, I've uploaded a backup of the JP dub here. Just overwrite eng with the contents of the archive. If you find yourself harking back to the EN dub for some reason, it's backed up in the 'backup' folder of the archive.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

I'm not sure things were really patched out. There's still a Japanese folder in the "voice" folder and there are still files that are the same sizes as that ones that Durandal posted. It looks more like they changed the file types, because even the music is simply listed as "file" under file type, when they used to be WMA files. So I guess they changed things from WMA to just some renumbered unknown files.
d0s

Post by d0s »

was all the bloom and blur only on my PC or something, I can't figure out what the people who think this game looks good are smoking

e: also even without the bloom and stuff the stages just feel completely dead and lifeless, where previous raiden games always had some nice detail down there it feels like an afterthought here
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I was told that the Steam version didn't have anything except the English voices. This is... good. I guess.

Please remember that anything relating to the PC releases is UFO's responsibility, just like how anything relating to the PC releases of III and IV are H2's responsibility.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Despatche wrote:Please remember that anything relating to the PC releases is UFO's responsibility, just like how anything relating to the PC releases of III and IV are H2's responsibility.
There's a lot of these porting companies, I sort of doubt anyone's going to try to remember that H2 and UFO do subpar PC ports (Raiden III might've been decent-ish though).
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

The illustrous story of Raiden ports is as follows:

-Raiden III PS2 and PC are by Moss themselves. III is basically a PC game to begin with, so menus and replays and such were added and this was released for normal PCs/ported to PS2. About as good of a port as is physically possible.
-Raiden IV 360 is by Moss themselves. Good port that fixes a terribly unfinished game with 360 Mode.
-Raiden IV OverKill, the original PS3 version, is not by Moss, but by a mysterious Chinese company. However, I think Moss actually designed the new OverKill mode, it's just they asked this Chinese company to put everything together for a PS3 release. There's weird inconsistent UI elements and things like that. I'm not sure it runs quite right, but I've only played the PC version.
-Raiden III PC (Steam/GOG) is by H2 and is basically the original PC port rereleased. H2 added their logo. That's really it.
-Raiden IV OverKill PC is, I guess, handled by some staff at H2. It's mostly a straight port of OK as far as I know.
-The original Japanese releases of Raiden V DC are by Moss as far as I know. The localizations and the PC version seem to be by UFO. I think they changed some stuff... really weird localization.

H2 is also a Chinese company, and V DC (at least the PC version) has a full Chinese localization out of the box... seems Moss has some fanbase in China.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Despatche wrote:H2 is also a Chinese company
http://www.h2interactive.co.kr/en/about/about01.php

H2 Interactive Co. Ltd.
Junha Hur (CEO)
Founded 2009. 9. 4
02-6968-5550 / FAX : 02-6968-5499
A 605 Gangseo Hangang Xii Tower., 401, Yangcheon-ro, Gangseo-gu, Seoul, Korea
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

Great, this game doesn't recognizes any controller that isn't the Xbox360 one...

Also is it possible to lower the game's graphics? It only has an option to lower the resolution but it makes the game exit from fullscreen.
Image Image Image Image
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Magma Dragoon wrote:Great, this game doesn't recognizes any controller that isn't the Xbox360 one...

Also is it possible to lower the game's graphics? It only has an option to lower the resolution but it makes the game exit from fullscreen.
Try using x360ce with all the xinput files installed on the main dir of the game.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

soprano1 wrote:
Magma Dragoon wrote:Great, this game doesn't recognizes any controller that isn't the Xbox360 one...

Try using x360ce with all the xinput files installed on the main dir of the game.
Already doing it.
Image Image Image Image
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

HydrogLox wrote:A 605 Gangseo Hangang Xii Tower., 401, Yangcheon-ro, Gangseo-gu, Seoul, Korea
Oops, thanks. I figured they were a Chinese company because of everything else. That makes this even more confusing.
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Is there any way to make the Steam version run in true fullscreen instead of fullscreen borderless windowed?
I noticed the game has some input lag and it might be related to that.
mookie3three

Post by mookie3three »

Is there any difference between the Euro/US release or the Asian English release on PS4?