Raiden V: Director's Cut for PS4 to be released by UFO Int.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
The Coop

Re: Raiden V: Director's Cut for PS4 to be released by UFO I

Post by The Coop »

clippa wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:Hmmm, do I want the Steam convenience, or the GOG copy?
This might help you decide - https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/raiden- ... eam-cd-key
Might want to hold off. I'm still waiting for my key to be delivered from CDKeys. I contacted them to see if there was a delay/problem and am waiting for a reply.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

The Coop wrote:
clippa wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:Might want to hold off. I'm still waiting for my key to be delivered from CDKeys.
ditto...
d0s

Post by d0s »

Got this on steam and returned it, unfathomably wack
zakk

Post by zakk »

Why do these people keep talking constantly? Holy crap shut up.
BubbaMc

Post by BubbaMc »

d0s wrote:Got this on steam and returned it, unfathomably wack
What issues did you experience?

Was it the game itself, or it's implementation?
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Got a response on my ticket with CDKeys. I was told that my ticket was escalated to the relevant team and that they'd get back to me soon.

Guess the wait continues :(
d0s

Post by d0s »

BubbaMc wrote:
d0s wrote:Got this on steam and returned it, unfathomably wack
What issues did you experience?

Was it the game itself, or it's implementation?
The core game is not as fun as and uglier than IV and then spackled on top of that were layers and layers of insane spastic nonsense for crazy people. This game was never designed with arcades in mind and it shows

The motion blur on stage backgrounds and the way everything seemed to be overbright combined with a weird zoomed out perspective (compare to any previous raiden) gave me a headache when I tried to concentrate on dodging anything

e: also no tate lmao
Last edited by d0s on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
system11

Post by system11 »

Motion blur in a shmup, you're kidding?
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
d0s

Post by d0s »

system11 wrote:Motion blur in a shmup, you're kidding?
I meant the blur on the backgrounds, edited to reflect that
d0s

Post by d0s »

Also even if you turn off the voices you're still treated to an unremovable transcript of their obviously super important yammering presented chatlog style layered over the top quarter of the playfield itself, inexcusable
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

Does anyone else feel like the bullets in this are unusually tough to see for a Raiden game? I'd hate to see the Xbone version if this is improved over that.

I can't fathom why MOSS felt it necessary to add story and dialogue and a lifebar to this. It's not innovative, and it makes me feel like Raiden has lost a little of its identity. It's a little sad when I play one credit of a new game and immediately want to go play the last entry instead.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well, besides now its finally out on US shores for PS4, and on PC.

But yeah, one thing to notice, yes, I know the Steam version doesn't (probably) have the JP voices and have to listen from the English one wholesale, but on GOG, it includes both vocal tracks. Though yeah, its only set if you change the language selector. (Per example, En Text/En Voices, Jp Text/Jp Voices).

But I found out you can interchange them, just go to the Media/Voice folder and then rename the "jpn" folder to "eng", and "eng" to "jpn". English text with JP voices, and the opposite the same. I wonder if you can do this on the steam version, unless you can include it, lol.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Austin

Post by Austin »

PFG 9000 wrote:Does anyone else feel like the bullets in this are unusually tough to see for a Raiden game?.
Yeah, they are. It also doesn't help that tanks can shoot from under bridges or within buildings, making bullets magically appear out of nowhere. It's like these devs never even played any of the earlier Raiden games.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

astebreed did the anime talking heads with a lifebar thing better
it's also not 70 fucking minutes long with a super long stage 1 that tries its hardest to make you not play the game
it also looks better and doesn't cost €35
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Astebreed is not necessarily a better game, however.
d0s wrote:The core game is not as fun as and uglier than IV and then spackled on top of that were layers and layers of insane spastic nonsense for crazy people. This game was never designed with arcades in mind and it shows

The motion blur on stage backgrounds and the way everything seemed to be overbright combined with a weird zoomed out perspective (compare to any previous raiden) gave me a headache when I tried to concentrate on dodging anything

e: also no tate lmao
What? Raiden IV is garbage, 100% because of that stupid charge shot. Even III with its R is significantly better just for not having a dumb charge shot that is directly at odds with the rest of the game.

Raiden V is a pretty good game and is by and large arcade quality. The big thing that prevents it from being an arcade game is that it's even longer than a 2-loop CAVE game. That said, it might still get an arcade release through Nesica eventually. I mean, being an hour long didn't stop Varth.

The UI doesn't really support tate. Touhou doesn't have tate either, and that was never a real knock against it. A Nesica release would probably be a horizontal game.
d0s wrote:Also even if you turn off the voices you're still treated to an unremovable transcript of their obviously super important yammering presented chatlog style layered over the top quarter of the playfield itself, inexcusable
There is an entire button dedicated to turning the dialogue off. Please.
PFG 9000 wrote:Does anyone else feel like the bullets in this are unusually tough to see for a Raiden game? I'd hate to see the Xbone version if this is improved over that.

I can't fathom why MOSS felt it necessary to add story and dialogue and a lifebar to this. It's not innovative, and it makes me feel like Raiden has lost a little of its identity. It's a little sad when I play one credit of a new game and immediately want to go play the last entry instead.
Stage 2 is a little hard to map out, but it's no worse than stage 4 in the original Raiden, etc.

People like throwaway stories. Not sure how adding an actual identity removes a game's identity, it's not like Raiden was some wacky abstract Kenta Cho game.

It's extremely sad when the bare aesthetic makes you want to bail before even looking at the gameplay.
Austin wrote:Yeah, they are. It also doesn't help that tanks can shoot from under bridges or within buildings, making bullets magically appear out of nowhere. It's like these devs never even played any of the earlier Raiden games.
That doesn't really happen, and it only looks like it's happening because everything in the game is at a weird angle.

The developers are probably the exact same list of people behind III and IV. They've probably been working on this for years.

Can anyone explain to me how this forum became IGN?
Last edited by Despatche on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

give me another arcade game where a boring as shit stage 1 lasts 5 minutes
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Raiden V stage 1 is way more engaging than Raiden or Raiden II stage 1.

Biggest flaws in Raiden V are ship building systems being almost inherently broken (see also: Dangun), and everything English-related. Seriously. You really have to try to hate this game, but that seems to be easy for IGN Shmups.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

nice final boss by the way
with how ridiculously long the game is, you'd expect at least the bosses to be good
but no, they die in a couple seconds, sometimes before even they shoot anything
hell, most of the fight is just waiting for the cinematics to finish, not fighting the boss

if anything, ign would praise this for being long despite most of the length being just repetitive crap that drags on for far too long
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Cancelled my pre-order as it wasn't going to deliver until the end of the month.

Not liking the sound of some of these complaints....no tate, and overly long stages are certainly making me reconsider buying it at full price.

I also love Raiden IV for what it's worth....one of the games that got me back into shmups.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

d0s wrote:Also even if you turn off the voices you're still treated to an unremovable transcript of their obviously super important yammering presented chatlog style layered over the top quarter of the playfield itself, inexcusable
I struggled with this on the PS4 version, until I figured out that there's an in-game button for "text display" or something like that, which allows you to shuffle the dialogue text off to the side where it belongs; presumably the PC editions have it too.

As for the game itself, it's an odd duck, to be sure, but on some level my early impressions are at least somewhat positive; will need to put in a bit more time.
d0s

Post by d0s »

ahaha IGN would fellate this game for trying to disrupt shmups or something

e:
Despatche wrote: everything in the game is at a weird angle.
And this isn't a problem, for some reason??
munchiaz

Post by munchiaz »

Anyone experience any game freezing on the PS4 version? I midway through stage 5 last night and the game just locked up. Music continued to play for about a minute, then it stopped. When i closed the game the console prompted me to fill out a "crash report" Hope this was just a one off sort of thing.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I got this today. After playing a bit I needed to pause and adjust my settings, and noticed the cheer section on the side kept going up. It just kept spamming random crap and increasing the number. I guess if you want more cheer, just pause and walk away for a while. lol
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

What? Actual IGN absolutely would not do either of those things, because the game is still "only" an hour long and is still "the same game" they saw ten/twenty years ago. IGN also has this really poor ability to understand themselves and why they're such a joke. IGN Shmups would only really feign understanding about "replay value" and maybe have some surface level understanding of the popular games. So, yeah, you're IGN Shmups, due to your amazing ability to ignore face-value things. This has been happening for a while, it's not some recent thing.

The Cheer feature is just a morale boost for anyone playing the game at that time. An achievement will pop up and you hit the Cheer button to acknowledge it. Anything you've done that's been Cheer'd by other players is listed at the end of a run. You can turn this off completely if you want.
Leviathan wrote:Cancelled my pre-order as it wasn't going to deliver until the end of the month.

Not liking the sound of some of these complaints....no tate, and overly long stages are certainly making me reconsider buying it at full price.

I also love Raiden IV for what it's worth....one of the games that got me back into shmups.
Raiden V is a much better game. The stages are definitely not overly long, the game is actually the same length as a Raiden IV 360 Mode ALL. That's why they took out the loop.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Despatche wrote: Raiden V is a much better game. The stages are definitely not overly long, the game is actually the same length as a Raiden IV 360 Mode ALL. That's why they took out the loop.
I'm curious as to why you think this, I remember stages in Raiden IV having more to them than l/r incoming waves of tracking bullets with the occasional incoming waves of big ships, I have trouble nailing a gameplay theme for the first five stages of Raiden V I've played
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Uh, that's the Raiden series bread and butter. It's definitely not why Raiden IV is terrible.

The movie player glitches out on PC. I've seen this before but I don't remember what causes it. Does anyone else remember?
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Can anyone explain to me what the cheering system is all about? Does it affect anything in game or it just some sort of "social media" type gimmick?
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Neither.
Despatche wrote:The Cheer feature is just a morale boost for anyone playing the game at that time. An achievement will pop up and you hit the Cheer button to acknowledge it. Anything you've done that's been Cheer'd by other players is listed at the end of a run. You can turn this off completely if you want.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Despatche wrote:Neither.
Despatche wrote:The Cheer feature is just a morale boost for anyone playing the game at that time. An achievement will pop up and you hit the Cheer button to acknowledge it. Anything you've done that's been Cheer'd by other players is listed at the end of a run. You can turn this off completely if you want.
So it has no effect on anything in game or your score? Seems kind of pointless.
d0s

Post by d0s »

despatche you got a really bad habit of using strawmen when people disagree with you, and this is coming from someone who hates the retarded intenet debate team guys who constantly accuse people of this but it so applies here. like nobody is complaining that the game is short and everyone knows how to properly get enjoyment out of a shmup on the shmups dot com forums. people are complaining that the game is too different (in bad, fun-destroying ways) compared to normal raiden, not the same
Last edited by d0s on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.