Raiden V: Director's Cut for PS4 to be released by UFO Int.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Despatche

Re: Raiden V: Director's Cut for PS4 to be released by UFO I

Post by Despatche »

Who's even doing the Asian release?

Patch out for PC versions, 60 FPS cap. I hope noone is actually surprised they fixed the obvious problem that's trivial to fix.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

So now it's a obvious problem with a trivial fix? But earlier you were claiming user error, obscure hardware and PC development is just so hard?

Can you please remember this next time a product launches and someone tries to hold it to reasonable standards? Maybe not act so dismissive and actually think through if there's any basis to what they're asking for?
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Grow a spine already, please. I never said a single word of what you said, please don't play semantics with me. Putting up with these stupid semantics games for the past ten years is why I'm so "dismissive"; what you're asking for is usually ignorant, unreasonable tripe.

The personal computer is one of the most ridiculous environments to develop games in. The absolute last thing it needs is a bunch of unreasonable demands for hardware basically noone has, and endless squabbling over miniscule bugs that tend to be user error, esoteric hardware/software combinations, or an honest-to-goodness forgetting to account for one of the myriad tiny variables (what we see here), more than anything else.

Not locking to 60 FPS when your game depends on 60 FPS is an obvious problem, but a very minor one because the vast majority of people use 60 Hz monitors to begin with. That's why the problem even happens at all. It's also pretty trivial to fix, so it absolutely does not matter to anyone who doesn't have a specific bone to pick with a specific developer. If I have to reword this ten more times, you're just gonna make me even more "dismissive".
qmish

Post by qmish »

Why japanese programmers are so unprogressive regarding monitor refresh rate?

Most western games dont make speed of game dependable of ur display hz

my laptop tends to set itself to 40hz after reboot and its only shmups where is see 40 fps as result
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Despatche wrote: Not locking to 60 FPS when your game depends on 60 FPS is an obvious problem, but a very minor one because the vast majority of people use 60 Hz monitors to begin with. That's why the problem even happens at all. It's also pretty trivial to fix, so it absolutely does not matter to anyone who doesn't have a specific bone to pick with a specific developer. If I have to reword this ten more times, you're just gonna make me even more "dismissive".
The vast majority of PS4 players don't have a PS4 Pro. Would it be acceptable if the game didn't work on a PS4 Pro? Would it be a minor bug if those people couldn't play the game?
Despatche wrote:Grow a spine already, please. I never said a single word of what you said
You repeated over half of it in your post now. What exactly are you claiming you didn't say?
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

What does the PS4 Pro have to do with anything in any universe? This is exactly what I'm talking about, you're not making sense. Your demands are unreasonable and your complaints are nonsensical.

What in God's name do you actually think I said? I have no fucking idea, you won't tell me. What you accused me of reads so fundamentally different from what I've repeated once again. The bug's been fixed (it's not even really a "bug"), you don't have the high ground anymore.
qmish wrote:Why japanese programmers are so unprogressive regarding monitor refresh rate?

Most western games dont make speed of game dependable of ur display hz

my laptop tends to set itself to 40hz after reboot and its only shmups where is see 40 fps as result
There's nothing "progressive" about it. It's an extremely minor mistake that's basically always fixed in the first patch, and it mostly happens with really niche games (shmups) that are being ported from console by teams that aren't getting paid enough.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Despatche wrote:What does the PS4 Pro have to do with anything in any universe? This is exactly what I'm talking about, you're not making sense. Your demands are unreasonable and your complaints are nonsensical.
It would be a similar bug. I was wondering how you would react to it. If you think that would be acceptable under the same reasoning or not.
Despatche wrote: What in God's name do you actually think I said? I have no fucking idea, you won't tell me. What you accused me of reads so fundamentally different from what I've repeated once again.
ZellSF wrote:But earlier you were claiming user error, obscure hardware and PC development is just so hard?
That's what I think you said and what I think you repeated. Unless you're hung up on me calling you dismissive, but that's fairly subjective.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

You are literally talking about a different dimension from the one we are currently in. I have no fucking idea what you're talking about, and I'm tired of trying to puzzle it out.
qmish wrote:And also happen with doujin pc shmups :?
Yes, because again, the vast majority of people have 60 Hz and this issue rarely comes up, and because again, doujin is an even lower tier than western indies which are mostly professional B-tier developers now. I just don't understand what you're expecting here.

It's fixed, by the way! Not an issue anymore. Never is after the first patch. I'm just gonna assume people would prefer launch crashing, because that's the only thing that makes sense anymore.
Last edited by Despatche on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I really do think that Raiden V is being specifically targeted, because every single complaint is at odds with history, with the market, and with just plain basic reason. I have never seen so many people who would normally like this game, and so many people who shouldn't even be aware that this game exists, be up in arms about it over things they would ignore in other games, over things that are the main focus of the games they actually do enjoy, over things that have no bearing on anything at all, so on and so forth. This entire thread is just filled with junk. The original Raiden V thread was filled with junk. This game deserves so much better than this garbage.

For God's sake, I could hate the game's guts and I'd still be saying all of this, because fucking none of this has to do with how much I do or don't care about the game. The entire situation surrounding Raiden V does not make sense unless you come from some bizarre alternate dimension.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Criticism is fair to some extent. But most of it refers to presentation and ratio between production values and price.
Personally I think the one big mistake some shmups are making these days though is going 3D with the graphics instead of 2D. 3D really does have a sort of cheap appearance to it if not enough budget goes into it (usually), but 2D can still look gorgeous, as so many recent games in any genre have shown. So right from the start the devs are pretty much shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to the visuals, instantly making consumers think it's not worth it (despite graphics having little to do with the gameplay).
It's not an issue of 3D. Old games like Gradius V, Under Defeat, Einhander, or Ikaruga look better than this.

And graphics can have a huge effect on gameplay in this genre. You ever see bullets or enemies sort of blend in with the background or explosion effects or whatever? You ever see an animation for a laser charging up or a gun spinning up?
they all look quite a bit better. Even Einhander with its ancient 3D.
I mean, unless you're judging graphical quality solely by amount of polygons or something, Raiden V looks worse than all of those games.
Things like extra animations to show guns pointing at you or preparing to fire, or having different graphics for shot types that behave differently, etc. is both better graphical quality, and better informs the player about game state. Generally, the poorer the animation and attention to detail, the less effectively information is conveyed to the player.

Like, look at this boss (if timecode doesn't work, skip to 47:11):
https://youtu.be/MSlokBHMFzY

It's just a 3D model sitting there with no animation. Bullets just appear out of parts of the ship with no buildup or aiming or anything of any kind. Sometimes the bullets don't even appear to come out of turrets or anything, but just totally insignificant points on the ship.
The background is light blue. That's it, just light blue. Some of the bullets the boss throws your way don't have much contrast with the background and all the medals and explosions on screen, and are more difficult to immediately identify than they ought to be.
All this stuff both looks bad and hurts gameplay.

And let's take a moment here. You think a pure light blue background and no boss animations looks better than Einhander? You think those explosions when the boss dies are even remotely comparable to the explosions in Under Defeat?
Raiden V looks like a budget title compared with all the games I mentioned.

And I'm not saying you need top notch graphics for the gameplay to be good, or that every aspect of presentation affects gameplay, just pointing out that the quality of the graphics can have a significant impact on gameplay, since the person I was replying to said there was little connection.
I do like 1cc ing shmup games. when I ask if this is costly, I am not asking about replayability, but rather if the game has contents and production value that are compatible with the price.
I do prefer spending my money on shmups, but by seeing so many amazing games on steam at half the price I wonder why is this so expensive?
The voice actors made this more expensive? Did they need a huge team and lots of money for advertising? Did they create many game modes?
All those things make the game more costly to the devs. This is what I call production value.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Despatche wrote:You are literally talking about a different dimension from the one we are currently in. I have no fucking idea what you're talking about, and I'm tired of trying to puzzle it out.
Let me try rephrasing. First I mentioned that this game did not properly limit its framerate. Then I got the impression you said I shouldn't be complaining about it / making a big deal out of it for various reasons.

One of the reasons you repeated is that you thought it to be a minor issue because so few people own non-60hz monitors. So I got the impression that's why you didn't want me to complain. That got me curious where you draw the line on what sort of similar situations warrant complaining and/or making a big deal out of.

The first example I thought of would be a PS4 game not working on a PS4 Pro. A PS4 Pro is a special edition of the PS4: a piece of hardware a minority of PS4 owners have. Likewise, a non-60hz monitor is a piece of hardware a minority of PC owners have.

Do you feel the same for both the same if Raiden V was unplayable on both those setups? What if Raiden V crashed whenever a gamepad was connected?
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

isn't an overarching score multiplier for earning high flash shot multipliers kind of redundant?
the flash shot multipliers themselves already give you a higher score, having another score multiplier which increases if you kill enemies quickly (which already gives you a score multiplier depending on how quickly you speedkilled) doesn't really affect the way you play
it's like having a score multiplier in Dodonpachi which increases depending on how long you maintain a chain
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
d0s

Post by d0s »

like next to nobody in japan has those ridiculous refresh rate gamer monitors so they don't even think about it, also if you have one of those monitors lol [h]ard forum is over there
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

See, even after everything, d0s gets it. I always want to just leave it at that, but I never seem to be able to. I mean like noone in the west really has those monitors either, but for some reason they're all coming out of the woodwork this year.
qmish wrote:Criticism is fair to some extent. But most of it refers to presentation and ratio between production values and price.
I'm not sure ironically comparing a fairly mid-level 3D game to some PS1 jittery textures mess like Einhander is "fair".

Like, this is just more proof of what I'm talking about. Every single point up here is never ever ever ever perceived in other games unless some game goes so deep with the details that you're basically forced to notice. Unfortunately, Raiden is a series that happens to have Raiden II, one of the great gods of pixel art that everyone takes notice of. I should note, however, that noone really seems to care about the huge graphical downgrade in Daioujou.

The last point in particular is not even a Raiden V thing! It was also a common complaint against Dariusburst, and it was just as frustrating there. People keep comparing these new B-tier games to these ancient ports and small indie titles, and they also keep thinking $35 is expensive. There is nothing expensive about $35, especially for a game that's only a year old and just got a big content patch. The Steam sale/Bundle culture makes a bad situation even worse.

Raiden V was worth it at its full price on launch. A lot of people don't believe that. This game was written off from the very start. That's where a lot of this is coming from, and why it really seems to me like it's been meme'd into the ground. Other, lesser games simply are not treated like this. The only games that come to mind for even a remotely similar disrespect are a string of old PlayStation titles that are good, but generally made fun of because they're "too easy", which is such a weird complaint for this genre and its players who have immense trouble resource-spamming their way through the most basic mode/difficulty.
ZellSF wrote:Let me try rephrasing. First I mentioned that this game did not properly limit its framerate. Then I got the impression you said I shouldn't be complaining about it / making a big deal out of it for various reasons.

One of the reasons you repeated is that you thought it to be a minor issue because so few people own non-60hz monitors. So I got the impression that's why you didn't want me to complain. That got me curious where you draw the line on what sort of similar situations warrant complaining and/or making a big deal out of.
Which I did, and which is correct, because it's not a big deal.
ZellSF wrote:The first example I thought of would be a PS4 game not working on a PS4 Pro. A PS4 Pro is a special edition of the PS4: a piece of hardware a minority of PS4 owners have. Likewise, a non-60hz monitor is a piece of hardware a minority of PC owners have.

Do you feel the same for both the same if Raiden V was unplayable on both those setups?
Which, again, is a completely different situation in every possible way, and is a huge deal. Sony has to basically require people to get a PS4 Pro so that they can actually play Pro-equipped games properly, or else noone is going to buy the thing.

Comparing an entire console upgrade that automatically affects the development of any game for it going forward, to a very tiny bug that only happens because of odds with current standards in its space and a bug that's usually fixed in a week anyway, is just not sensible.
ZellSF wrote:What if Raiden V crashed whenever a gamepad was connected?
This is another completely different situation that comes up a lot and depends entirely on what the controller is, what the user's environment is like, etc. It could be a valid bug with basic controller support, which sucks and needs to be fixed. It could be some esoteric bug with an uncommon arcade stick, and there are many times when someone else with the same arcade stick does not have the problem. I have seen many controller issues resolved by some basic troubleshooting, because controllers are very difficult for Windows itself, especially once you go beyond the comfort zone of XInput.

PC game development is not simple at all.
Durandal wrote:isn't an overarching score multiplier for earning high flash shot multipliers kind of redundant?
the flash shot multipliers themselves already give you a higher score, having another score multiplier which increases if you kill enemies quickly (which already gives you a score multiplier depending on how quickly you speedkilled) doesn't really affect the way you play
it's like having a score multiplier in Dodonpachi which increases depending on how long you maintain a chain
The developers probably thought that simply increasing the multiplier like in Raiden IV was boring. I'm not a really big fan of it either, because it rewards the player multiple times for the same action (chiefly with the end of scene bonus), but I'm not a big fan of the Flash Shot implementations in the first place, so something like this is fairly benign.

Raiden IV with its "ignore the mission objective because of this stupid exploit for about half the game" is ten times worse than some minor redundancy.

Again, it really needs to be understood that I would be saying every single word of this if I actually hated the game, because it's true, it's not something that has anything to do with my personal opinion. I don't really care for Garegga, but I will always praise it because it's a good game. It is completely possible to dislike a game but also see its merits! People forget that. In 2017, everyone wants to think that everything they don't want to hear is just special snowflake opinion. Why do you guys think I get so upset about the way people communicate their totally personal opinions about how much they dislike something, always acting like what they're saying is some universal truth instead of being reasonable about it? It's endlessly frustrating when something like this happens, when multiple communities dogpile a game for superficial junk.
qmish

Post by qmish »

I defenitely missed what started your conversation here; though i don't see actual hate toward this game yet - just typical ignorance regarding STG genre etc. (counting examples i quoted?)

Me personally not getting R5 in steam yet cause it doesnt do regional pricing
comparing a fairly mid-level 3D game to some PS1 jittery textures mess like Einhander
His points were about attention to details (animation of enemies attacks instead of just having bullet pattern suddenly while boss is sitting like statue etc.) + visibility stuff (contrast between bullets and bg), and not to overall graphics technical levels

p.s.

What i notice again, all those gaming sites always have "news" about new shmups, but never do reviews on them (unless its Sine More or Skyforce whatever)
pffff :roll:
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

d0s wrote:like next to nobody in japan has those ridiculous refresh rate gamer monitors so they don't even think about it
Which would be perfectly fine if they were only selling it in Japan. They are not.

Also this isn't a problem limited to gaming monitors. Old CRTs, some laptops and PAL TVs also can run at "non-standard" refresh rates.
Despatche wrote:This is another completely different situation that comes up a lot and depends entirely on what the controller is, what the user's environment is like, etc. It could be a valid bug with basic controller support, which sucks and needs to be fixed. It could be some esoteric bug with an uncommon arcade stick, and there are many times when someone else with the same arcade stick does not have the problem. I have seen many controller issues resolved by some basic troubleshooting, because controllers are very difficult for Windows itself, especially once you go beyond the comfort zone of XInput.
Assume a standard XInput controller, set up properly. Non-standard equipment for PC users, like high refresh rate monitors are...
Despatche wrote:Which, again, is a completely different situation in every possible way, and is a huge deal. Sony has to basically require people to get a PS4 Pro so that they can actually play Pro-equipped games properly, or else noone is going to buy the thing.

Comparing an entire console upgrade that automatically affects the development of any game for it going forward, to a very tiny bug that only happens because of odds with current standards in its space and a bug that's usually fixed in a week anyway, is just not sensible.
But I'm getting the impression you're hell bent on dodging anything analogous by starting talking random bullshit anyway...

Let's try to simplify what I'm asking again: where do you draw the line on what constitutes non-standard equipment not worth making a deal of it it breaks a game? Why do you feel trying to get others to follow that line is a good use of your time?

What terrible consequences do you see out of my behavior? Oh no, the game got patched and is playable by more of those absolutely filthy PC gamers...
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

qmish wrote:I defenitely missed what started your conversation here; though i don't see actual hate toward this game yet - just typical ignorance regarding STG genre etc. (counting examples i quoted?)
See this thread, the original Raiden V thread, and all sorts of comments from people who claim to understand this genre but end up exposing their ignorance (over games like Raiden V).
qmish wrote:His points were about attention to details (animation of enemies attacks instead of just having bullet pattern suddenly while boss is sitting like statue etc.) + visibility stuff (contrast between bullets and bg), and not to overall graphics technical levels
Exatly, that's my point. It's already hard enough to find anyone who cares about Einhander beyond the "it's got cool music!" and "Square made it!" hooks, but to unironically bring down a much more advanced graphics model by comparing it to some really minor details that aren't even possible to make out on that janky PS1 hardware? Doesn't that sound ridiculous? Especially when, as it happens here, that person's wrong? Enemies in Raiden V do animate all the practical stuff like they ever did in III and IV. Half the stuff people complain about in V is either praised or tolerated in III and IV, or even in other recent games, and it just doesn't make sense. Great example: people whine about the graphics and perspective changes in this now-$35 title, but did not really care about actually worse graphics and actually more annoying perspective changes in another formally-retail (~$80... before importing fees) title, Eschatos. If you look hard enough, you might find a post or two whining about the issues in these other games, but you will not find two entire threads and nearly every block of text across the internet that mentions the game beyond reporting its release.
ZellSF wrote:Which would be perfectly fine if they were only selling it in Japan. They are not.

Also this isn't a problem limited to gaming monitors. Old CRTs, some laptops and PAL TVs also can run at "non-standard" refresh rates.
Again, you insist that people actually have these monitors in any great number, when they simply don't.

Those refresh rates are not "non-standard". They were also a complete pain in the ass to deal with. That is one thing that a truly standardized refresh rate does, and it's also why you're encountering this problem.
ZellSF wrote:Assume a standard XInput controller, set up properly. Non-standard equipment for PC users, like high refresh rate monitors are...
So a basic game controller is "non-standard equipment" to you because it doesn't come in the box? Please just stop with your ridiculous semantics. You people with your 144Hz and 21:9 monitors, and your weirdo "bugs" that only ever apply to you, demanding every little thing of every developer, making their lives just a little bit more miserable in an terrible miserable market... thankfully you people are a minority, and hopefully it'll stay that way for quite some time.
ZellSF wrote:But I'm getting the impression you're hell bent on dodging anything analogous by starting talking random bullshit anyway...

Let's try to simplify what I'm asking again: where do you draw the line on what constitutes non-standard equipment not worth making a deal of it it breaks a game? Why do you feel trying to get others to follow that line is a good use of your time?

What terrible consequences do you see out of my behavior? Oh no, the game got patched and is playable by more of those absolutely filthy PC gamers...
See? Everything is semantics to you. Did you miss the whole bolded bit?

Every time you try to "simplify" something, you bring up a brand new detail that makes even less sense than the previous. What kind of question even is that? You are a minority in a market where many people have wildly different environments. What part of that are you not understanding?

Do you honestly believe that entire last line has any basis in reality? I'm like 99% sure you think that I'm doing the whole "it's not a bug, it's a feature" thing. Why is a minority making such a big deal over a tiny bug that only applies to them and that's pretty much guaranteed to be fixed within the first week, while also demanding completely miscellaneous features as if they're vital to their experience? I have not even seen launch hells for AAA games with the kind of virtriol you people have over such microscopic issues.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Granted, this very boss doesnt have animations and background is just blue, as he said. Boss is just static (he only "floats" aka they move it up and down a little) wallpaper under bullet patterns.
https://youtu.be/MSlokBHMFzY?t=2836

in Einhander you had boss like this (not only boss moves himself, but his different parts like arms during attack; and he changes shape switching between states)
https://youtu.be/bIKc23rZj3I?t=250
or this cyborg at least raising his arms when shooting missiles
https://youtu.be/qUcHPCTM6xI?t=471

RSgun bosses also often were full of inner motions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSpm3N4i86M

However, for example, this boss in Raiden V, on a contrary, is animated and even beautifully transforms itself
https://youtu.be/MSlokBHMFzY?t=1036

In conclusion, we can say that person was cherry picking, after all (pointing at one "lazy" looking boos in R5 and saying that animating parts of bosses during attacks is standard de facto since ps1 era blablabla)
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Despatche wrote: Again, you insist that people actually have these monitors in any great number, when they simply don't.
Uh. I'm insisting on something I haven't even said once?
Despatche wrote:So a basic game controller is "non-standard equipment" to you because it doesn't come in the box?
No, it's non-standard equipment because most PC gamers don't have one.
Despatche wrote:Every time you try to "simplify" something, you bring up a brand new detail that makes even less sense than the previous
And every time I ask you a question you find a way to not answer by dodging with brand new details that make even less sense than the previous. I still don't have any idea how many people a bug must make a game unplayable for before it's worth mentioning in your eyes.

Or why you get so whiny when other people aren't following the arbitrary criteria for that that's only in your head.
Despatche wrote: Do you honestly believe that entire last line has any basis in reality? I'm like 99% sure you think that I'm doing the whole "it's not a bug, it's a feature" thing.
Why would you think that? I've already told you what I'm accusing you of: shutting down legitimate criticism for no logical reason.
Despatche wrote:Why is a minority making such a big deal over a tiny bug that only applies to them and that's pretty much guaranteed to be fixed within the first week
It's guaranteed to be fixed (and it took 2-3 weeks btw) if someone mentions it. Which is all people did. There's like one thread on Steam. No one made a big deal out of it. Except maybe you.
Despatche wrote:You are a minority in a market where many people have wildly different environments. What part of that are you not understanding?
No part? I understand that as well as most game developers. That's why most of them have setup wildly different environments for testing. To make sure bugs like this don't make it to release.
HueSaturation

Post by HueSaturation »

Sorry, I just have to reiterate one last time how much I hope Moss will let it come full circle back to X1. I still have hope for the 360 Cave shooters eventually making it over (and practically everything else, like even Rayforce HD) and with this, the X1X would really be my jam... plus it already has Guardian Heroes HD (and all the best versions of big budget 3rd parties). But y'know, it's always too good to be true — having everything within a cultural niche in one spot. Guess I should be happy it's on Steam.

This new track is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dCAuYrCYUY
qmish

Post by qmish »

never understood loyalty to X1 (unless you were getting it for random niche like D4 or Raiden V)

though OG Xbox games are nice recent addition if they'll expand them (at least thanks for ninja gaiden black)
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

gave it a 2 hour refund shot out of curiosity:
difficulty progression is a flat line, same enemies over and over and it drags on for far too long, feels like the difficulty spiked in stage 3 then went back down until the final boss because your weapons get stronger while everything mostly remains the same
stages 5 and 6 were the high point mainly due to the bgm

visibility is utter shite way too often, some of the backgrounds are eye rape (bright white, rapid scrolling with complex backgrounds), especially during the zoom out parts (which suck in their own way) with tiny bullets you can barely see, sometimes with blue bullets on blue backgrounds or yellow on yellow

boss missions suck because you aren't allowed to reset them instantly the moment you game over, which results in spending more time in menu screens and watching the boss intros than actually playing, if you could reset them instantly and just focus on gameplay 100% of the time they'd probably be a lot of fun

bosses feel like they're sometimes pretending to be bullet hell with slow patterns, then it goes back to traditional raiden and they overall die way too fast, pretty much instantly if you position the reflect laser correctly

would get for $10 if they fixed the boss missions and even then it's most likely just discovering safespots
meh/10
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

People saying Raiden V looks like mobage graphically aren't doing so for no reason, even if they have trouble expressing why

It's like comparing the graphics of DBCS and G-Darius, clearly DBCS looks better technically, but the backgrounds and the bosses in G-Darius are way more dynamic in terms of movement in animation. Backgrounds in DBCS and Raiden V are mostly static objects where usually nothing happens, and all the fancy movement is done with the camera. The enemies don't make special cool entrances into the stage, and the enemies have no animations to them which make them seem devoid of life. The backgrounds in Raiden V don't even try to tell a story aside from sparse key moments (not like they have to in Raiden V's case), esp. if you were to compare them to the progression of Einhänder or RayForce. Heck, Raiden I and II are well known for their simple but detailed backgrounds filled with minor things to make them seem more special. The cheap fade to the surface during the transition of the ST4 boss' second phase, should tell you enough about MOSS' technical prowess in this regard.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
HueSaturation

Post by HueSaturation »

I'm still in pretty deep disagreement about the graphics, weirdly enough. Maybe I'll change my tune in time, but I think it's a huge step up from Raiden 4, which I think I may have found to be even uglier than 3. I actually love the propensity to zoom out, the glossy sheen, especially the crater decals the artists rendered this time around (love those thick, juicy burning craters)... but what I totally can't deny is the weird jank in the animations, like the stage 3 boss. I want some of what they were smoking when they passed that transition between the 1st and 2nd halves of the boss as finished. (The one that splits into a few tanks and you finish the fight in a tunnel).

The explosions are what I want to see dramatically evolved in Raiden 6. Looking forward to some very fluid, thick flames and sparks straight out of Killer Instinct (without letting them get too carried away and spraying all over the entire screen like it's Geometry Wars or something).
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

On a side note, does anyone here think Raiden is like the shmup equivalent to Street Fighter? Because Raiden has been getting several updates lately, the first game had Trad and Super, the latter for the PC Engine CD, the second game had DX, which is a major overhaul of the second game, the fourth game had Overkill, and now there's this update to the fifth installment.
Acer

Post by Acer »

Can anyone comment on the differences between the Xbox one and PS4 version?

Any pro patch?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Acer wrote:Can anyone comment on the differences between the Xbox one and PS4 version?

Any pro patch?
Well, the only differences though is 2 player co-op and the addition of extra missions. I'm not sure if it has a Pro patch.

Usually, the Xbox version is the original/vanilla version, while PS4/PC version gets the updated one, same way they handled Raiden IV/Overkill and Caladrius/Blaze for updated ports.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
mtbd500

Post by mtbd500 »

Guys!, i had to log in and see what you guys are saying about this game!?. What the hell is going on!?.
" south american coffee beans are best"!?.. do i really have to listen to that nonsense everytime i play the game!?. Call me old fashioned but the point of arcade games is pick up and play action?. The storyline ruined Sine Mora which was mediocre at best anyway and now " coffee beans " is set to be the new meme in shmups?.
Also.. having only played a couple of stages the action seems somewhat underwhelming on the first few credits.
I hAve only recently begun to appreciate the raiden series but this one seems a serious misstep?.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

So, I've been thinking of grabbing this on Steam, but it's apparently impossible to find actual discussion about this game (as opposed to "OMG, ONE BOSS ISN'T ANIMATED" or "OH NOES, THE BULLETS ARE YELLOW"), aside from Bananamatic's short post.

So, how does this compare to Raiden 3/4? Did they fix all of 4's problems, like the awful bullet wobble, charge shot milking destroying the score system, and the power-ups stopping their color-rotation and vacuuming when you don't shoot, making scoring frequently dependent on the RNG of a powerup getting initially dropped in the right color? Is it partially side-scroll like classic Raiden, or is there no side-scroll like 3? I keep hearing talk about "missions"; does it have an "arcade mode", or is it limited to just Dariusburst CS style scenarios?