Raiden V: Director's Cut for PS4 to be released by UFO Int.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Squire Grooktook

Re: Raiden V: Director's Cut for PS4 to be released by UFO I

Post by Squire Grooktook »

^^^hue, that's my line

I'm always somewhat perplexed by the way xxxx1993 always ignores and appears completely oblivious to peoples reactions to the stuff he posts, and just keeps on doing it.

Also nobody has mentioned 1cc's on that page.

-

Anyway, story in shmups: IMO story in STG's have a small, but solid purpose. They exist to support the atmosphere and add a human element, making the dots vs hitboxes gameplay less abstract, and giving players something to connect to as they become engrossed in the gameplay. Obviously the game's don't have the runtime or pacing to provide a substantial character arc, but they can help players imagine one.

Ideally, you come to love the gameplay first, and come to connect to the characters and settings as the game itself becomes something you personally cherish. This is the point at which you should begin searching for naughty fan art and doujins on pixiv, and other less reputable websites.

Based on a few developer interviews, and my own experience, I also suspect that stories are there because the creators of these games secretly love their worlds and characters more than their fans do.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

BIL wrote:Echoing Shepardus, I don't see anything remotely elitist about the reaction xxx1993's posts got. It's a common as dirt sentiment that these games can't succeed on plot, characters or voice acting alone. That's not what the majority of their audience has ever prioritised.

Absolutely bizarre that he'd then have a go at Austin over a perceived lack of enthusiasm for extraneous plot fuckery! But this is what happens, when you don't cull the noobs as aggressively as we did back in the glory days of Elitist Pricks Forum™. Image

Don't know about others, but I wasn't referencing the reaction to xxx1993 you're talking about. I think the elitist comment just triggered me and I was talking about the general vibe in the shmup community. Besides , I don't expect the "elitist" to see themselves as that. I was just commenting based on the "inviting" nature of this community compared to others. Love this genre , but again, just expressing myself in that the shmups community could be a lot more inviting. Especially being that there's talk here of people saying they would like the community to grow.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Genius steals, Squire! Image

Appropriately streamlined world-building and lore delivery is indeed great, and a credit to the genre. You know I love me some Nemesis II GB, where failure to observe proper atmospheric re-entry protocol has terrible consequences for one participant. Image
Gamer707b wrote:Don't know about others, but I wasn't referencing the reaction to xxx1993 you're talking about. I think the elitist comment just triggered me and I was talking about the general vibe in the shmup community. Besides , I don't expect the "elitist" to see themselves as that.
Again, nobody was being elitist. Trust me, I'm a proud elitist who's enjoyed mowing down many plebs in my elitistmobile over the years. Image Every man and his dog will balk at the sentiment "it has characters plot and voice acting, it should be good." It's a total non-sequitur akin to "is this a good burger?" "it has a carton wrapper and a tv mini-series where Hamburglar is convicted for his crimes and subsequently commits suicide in prison, it should be good."

edit: actually, even if this were a genre where such things held sway, it'd remain an idiotic statement. Presumably Animal Soccer World would similarly suffice? Then he has the gall to question others' taste. 110% pure shit posts. Image
rtw

Post by rtw »

Anyone know if we will get the same extras in the USA PS4 version ?

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201708/25140366.html
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

rtw wrote:Anyone know if we will get the same extras in the USA PS4 version ?

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201708/25140366.html
That's what I've been trying to figure out. Nobody can seem to give me an answer as to whether or not the US version comes with the digital artbook as well. UFO Interactive hasn't given me any responses when I ask them on Twitter. And that artwork is showing a new aircraft that's not currently in the game, maybe it's a new one being added in this version? That was never mentioned in the description for the new features, so who knows.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

The Coop wrote:Steam or GOG? I have III and IV on both, but who will I go to first? Find out in roughly six weeks! :lol:

Now if we could just get someone to finally fix the goddamned music looping issue in IV.
I'm inclined to pick more games on GOG these days. Steam is becoming too much of a monopoly in the PC space.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

The sample picture for the soundtrack CD lists 'Tag in the sky' and an obscured name at position #11 which I don't think were in the original Raiden V soundtrack at all. Anyone know more about that?
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Durandal wrote:The sample picture for the soundtrack CD lists 'Tag in the sky' and an obscured name at position #11 which I don't think were in the original Raiden V soundtrack at all. Anyone know more about that?
Those are the new tracks for the two new stages that are being added. It seems that the tracks "War Council" and "Time for Decision" were removed from the tracklist for some reason.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Furry Fox Jet Pilot wrote: It seems that the tracks "War Council" and "Time for Decision" were removed from the tracklist for some reason.
The capacity limit for CDs is 80 minutes but most manufacturers don't push past 78:30 - 79:00. The new tracks likely had priority to get onto the CD which was already sitting at ~75 min (vgdbm lists 74:32) so it's likely something had to give and those two (~1 min each) made just enough room - but that's just a guess.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

New trailer highlighting the new stages and some of the new music tracks.
I also noticed a new mode revolving around medal drops?
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

PlayStation lifestyle also reported you're invincible during the two new mission stages.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Will there be an even deadlier final boss than Humpty Dumpty and Divine Rampart?
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

If they just fix the scoring issue, we'll be good. DIVINE RAMPART is still a top 10 name for a boss.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

It's not a new mode, the new mission stages just have a different scoring system. I guess it makes sense because getting hit doesn't damage your shield, otherwise you could just point blank all the high value targets as soon as they appear.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Bought this from the Japanese PSN, got a 92m ALL-S clear. Some quick notes before bed:
- They made some adjustments to enemy placements in most (or all) stages. Most of it is pretty minor, except for stages 7 & 8. They filled in a lot of the "empty" space with more enemies. A lot more enemies. It's kind of overwhelming at points.
- They got rid of some of the "cheap shots" (ie. zako coming in from the bottom of the screen and sniping you). Most of it was unnecessary, but whatever. (I'm glad stage 5 got nerfed a little)
- Some enemies had their bullet patterns or firing rates adjusted. The most notable seems to be a medium sized tank, which got a new, fixed spread attack that makes them more dangerous.
- There were some complaints about bullet visibility in the original, so they changes one enemy's bullets from yellow to blue. This doesn't help much, because stage 8 still has small blue bullets on a purple background. This was a non-issue for me in the original, but with all of the extra enemies they added, it might cause some problems.
- Scoring is pretty much identical, so I'm still fairly certain that ALL-B clears will have a higher score ceiling than ALL-S (TLB) clears. :roll:
- The mission stages only have a new boss fight in them. Here's how I think they work:
The boss has three phases. It has infinite health, and shooting it causes it to shed medals. If you collect enough medals, the boss moves on to its next phase. If you die, you drop some of the medals you've collected. If you fail to collect enough medals after a certain amount of time, the boss explodes and the stage is over. I failed both missions in both of my credits, so I could be wrong about something.

I also think you start the game with a fairy now? It feels like I had an extra one, anyway. Maybe I'm wrong.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

The changes sound fairly interesting. How's the music for the two new stages though?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

How's the game? I'm on the fence with this one.
I'm not a big Raiden fan, but IV was alright. I enjoyed Caladrius enough.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Is the release date on the 5th or the 10th? Because GameFAQs says it's the 10th while everywhere else is the 5th. Man, these release dates are confusing. They're probably toying with me as always. I think it's digital for the 5th and physical for the 10th, could be that.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

xxx1993 wrote:Is the release date on the 5th or the 10th? Because GameFAQs says it's the 10th while everywhere else is the 5th. Man, these release dates are confusing. They're probably toying with me as always. I think it's digital for the 5th and physical for the 10th, could be that.
The date has been changed to October 10th
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Dammit, not again... How many times must they keep delaying it? These developers need to stop being cowards, man the fuck up, and release it already instead of constantly push it back again and again and again.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

xxx1993 wrote:Dammit, not again... How many times must they keep delaying it? These developers need to stop being cowards, man the fuck up, and release it already instead of constantly push it back again and again and again.
Because there couldn't possibly be a valid reason for a delay. :roll:

They're not doing it just to fuck with you, I promise.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Practiced the missions a bit, they're actually really important because you get a ton of resources if you do well. At the end of each phase, you get a rank based on how many medals you collected. If you clear the mission with an S-rank overall, you get 3 bombs. Silver medals determine how much shield you regenerate at the end of the stage (122 medals = 25%~), and for every 5 gold medals, you get a fairy (I can get 3, not sure if 4 is possible). This is way too good. :lol:
Furry Fox Jet Pilot wrote:The changes sound fairly interesting. How's the music for the two new stages though?
I like Mission 2's song. Mission 1 takes place under water, the music fits the stage nicely but it doesn't stand out to me.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Uploaded a 1cc with the TLB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSlokBHMFzY

The new mission stages are fun, but they give you too many resources. If you do well on them, you'll get 5 or 6 extra fairies. At that point, how can you not beat it? Instead of giving a fairy for every 5 gold medals, I think it would be better if you only got one for collecting 10 medals. Or better yet, there should be a bigger clear bonus. They could give you like 500k for every fairy you have remaining for example. Anything to encourage better play would be good.
system11

Post by system11 »

Cleaned up all the nastiness.

I should probably buy this game when I have money.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

iconoclast wrote:Uploaded a 1cc with the TLB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSlokBHMFzY

The new mission stages are fun, but they give you too many resources. If you do well on them, you'll get 5 or 6 extra fairies. At that point, how can you not beat it? Instead of giving a fairy for every 5 gold medals, I think it would be better if you only got one for collecting 10 medals. Or better yet, there should be a bigger clear bonus. They could give you like 500k for every fairy you have remaining for example. Anything to encourage better play would be good.
Do higher difficulties increase the enemy count? Because the first stage and even a lot of the later ones look very zzzzzzzzz
Xyga wrote:
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Higher difficulties only increase bullet speed and maybe firing rate. The first stage is pretty boring but the rest are fun.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, how does this version compare to IV?
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

It's out now on Steam for 35 eurodollars and 25 eurodollars on GOG :?
Xyga wrote:
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Hmmm, do I want the Steam convenience, or the GOG copy? :mrgreen: I'll probably pick it up at the next paycheck.
iconoclast wrote:The first stage is pretty boring but the rest are fun.
I think a lot of my worries are based off of the impression of stage 1, which is about all I've seen of the game. It looks dead. I'll take your word that it picks up a little.
clippa

Post by clippa »

EmperorIng wrote:Hmmm, do I want the Steam convenience, or the GOG copy?
This might help you decide - https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/raiden- ... eam-cd-key