Raiden V: Director's Cut for PS4 to be released by UFO Int.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bananamatic

Re: Raiden V: Director's Cut for PS4 to be released by UFO I

Post by Bananamatic »

it felt to me like the game got a bit harder before maxing out your weapons, then it got really stale until the last stage in terms of difficulty
would be way better if they divided the game into multiple courses too since it's more of a casual flashy game like dariusburst
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I can definitely see where Durandal is coming from. I've been treating some of those repeat-formations sections as a "break" between harder segments of the game - a way to take your mind off before hitting up the next difficult ground segment. I usually try (at the moment) to experiment with how I can quick kill everything during those segments in order to ratchet up the score.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

It's a little tedious to browse the entire topic, but can anyone tell me

1) what fairies do now other than score bonuses
2) if there is only one Sol tower per stage, or if there are multiple
3) what dictates life regen in-between stages (sub-stages too? hard to pay attention during all the fighting)
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Fairies are basically 1ups. If you drop below 50% shield, collecting the fairy that pops out of your ship refills some of the gauge.

There's only one Sol tower (and Miklas) per stage, and I don't know what determines the end of stage shield regen.
FRO

Post by FRO »

BulletMagnet wrote:- The "cheer" mechanic is one of the most bizarre concepts I can remember seeing, not just in a shmup but in any game; back to my imaginary visions of Moss's office, I see one overenthusiastic dude who insists on bringing the idea up at every single meeting, insisting that this is what will finally bring the scrolling shooter into the social media age, as everyone else gives each other worried glances that silently say "...well, he's the CEO's nephew..." :lol: I frankly can't imagine it remaining active very long, but I certainly don't mind having, effectively, an extra bomb at the ready; I almost wish they'd enabled an "auto-cheer" option that automatically responds to incoming messages, which would kind of kill the point, but would also make me feel less like a lab rat pushing a button for food pellets every few moments. :P
This is an interesting point. Over on the RF Generation thread we have for this game, there's been discussion about how the Cheer system seems to not be working properly for people, and most of our folks are playing the PS4 Director's Cut version. Every time I play, I get plenty of Cheers tossed my way, and have a large number of Cheer opportunities - so many, that I mapped the Cheer function to the L1 button on my PS4 pad, so I can answer those Cheer calls w/o inadvertently dropping a bomb or using my Cheer Call energy when reaching for the triangle button. The Cheer system is, indeed, quite the oddity, but it's an interesting element that adds a new dimension to the game. I'm surprised that, this far out from the game's release, there's still quite the active player base, as I'm frequently bombarded with Cheer requests. And yes, the Cheer system does have a bit of a Pavlovian element to it, but I don't mind that. It is a bit cheesy, however, that you can pause the game and answer Cheer requests, to fill your meter back up. You can certainly abuse that quite a bit to milk more use out of the Cheer Attack.

Regarding the new stuff added in the Director's Cut, does anyone know what the requirements are to trigger Mission 2? I know Mission 1 comes right after Stage 3, and I've managed to S Rank all 3 stages (when I make it that far, anyway), and trigger Mission 1, but I'm seeing that there's actually a condition where Mission 1 ends with Stage 6 afterward, and the game doesn't continue. Is there a specific ranking requirement, either on the Mission 1 bonus stage, or in stages 4-6, required to trigger Mission 2? I was reading elsewhere about powering up all weapons to max, in order to trigger the true final boss and get a good ending, but nothing specific to how to ensure seeing Mission 2. Anyone have some insight into that?

Sorry for reviving this necrothread, but I've been playing this game the last 2 weeks, and will be continuing to do so through this month.
splitt442

Post by splitt442 »

In your opinion is this worth diving in to? Played it briefly but got turned off quick.
FRO

Post by FRO »

splitt442 wrote:In your opinion is this worth diving in to? Played it briefly but got turned off quick.
As someone who isn't the most hardcore of players, I think so. It didn't resonate with me on my first play through a few months back, but I'm concentrating on the game this month, and I'm finding a lot to like about it. Stage 3 kicks my butt, and I have difficulty with the boss, but otherwise, I'm enjoying myself. The different weapon load-outs are fun to play with, and I dig the soundtrack. The PS4 version seems to have some graphical weirdness that has never been fixed/patched yet, but aside from that, and a few quirks with the game that are mostly holdovers from previous Raiden titles, I think it's pretty solid.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Game is amazing. Really enjoy it. The challenge is there. I play offline and get maybe a full cheer per stage. I don't mind playing it that way at all.

FRO, I didn't even run into the second mission missing. Maybe it is rank dependent. Whip out that catch plasma, reflect laser and swing vulcan and get those foes!
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

I have mixed feelings about this title. The game features innovations in the series and this is not a bad thing, however, although I liked most of them, some points left to be desired in my view. While I really enjoyed the music, the ambiance of war, even the narrations with voices accompanying the action and the general good fluency I think that graphically is a setback in the series when compared to its predecessor and this gets worse when we know it was a production having consoles in mind and with target hardware a entire generation ahead of Raiden IV. The distant scale and consequent minor visual elements and the weak visual effects concerning the explosions also bothered me a bit. Taking these issues aside, I consider Raiden V a good chapter in this great series, but with a certain bitter taste that could have been a lot better.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I like how the only negative listing is about graphics, which are actually better than IV's anyway, so that point is also out. Whinging about graphics like it means something is always that big red flag that a post doesn't actually have anything to say.

What is with people and graphics? Why does the bullshit about "immersion" or "satisfying visual feedback" or whatever only come out when someone's bashing a game? I am literally being told that this great game is actually not great entirely because of the graphics, and that just doesn't cut it.

Look, I don't believe in that fanboy garbage. I don't "like the game", the game is good and it fixes a lot of fundamental issues about the Raiden series. People need to realize that. This isn't my opinion, it's a damned fact.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

I disagree with Kobayashi's comments about the graphics. Raiden IV was drab in comparison honestly. Raiden V does a stellar job of keeping the colors and vibrancy always changing. They even color coded the enemies to help you remember what they do. Maybe Kobayashi's wants something modern hardware is really capable of, but this graphic fidelity of RV currently accomplishes it's intent 100% to suit the game. If we keep supporting Raiden V and MOSS in general, I think we'll see a game that stuns with its graphics, with voxels pouring out of the explosions Resogun style... or something. But as of now, I'm completely happy with how Raiden V looks. Support MOSS! And they'll give you BIG BUX graphics.

Actually there was one thing I wish was more detailed. During the stage results screen you go to a perspective that seems to be from the cockpit of the Fighting Thunder. But the textures are blurry on the ship here. It kind of stood out. If that was textured nicely just for those segments that'd be awesome!
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
FRO

Post by FRO »

Aquas wrote:Actually there was one thing I wish was more detailed. During the stage results screen you go to a perspective that seems to be from the cockpit of the Fighting Thunder. But the textures are blurry on the ship here. It kind of stood out. If that was textured nicely just for those segments that'd be awesome!
Yeah, I find it a bit weird that they didn't clean up the model of the ship for the close-ups that take place in between stages, when your score is tallied. The ship looks low-poly, and reminds me of the CG sequences in The Raiden Project, even though I know those are even more low-poly and probably look a lot worse. Aside from that, I think the game looks good, graphically, and I like the different locales MOSS implemented, to mix it up a bit. Sure, most of them are common tropes, like the cityscape, desert, over the water, etc. but most of those are Raiden staples, so it fits within the context of the series.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

I seem to remember IV looking better because it didn't have all the bloom, but its been a few years since I played it. To despatche, you can criticize the graphics without criticizing the gameplay and vice versa. You are seriously letting your emotions cloud your judgement here, try to be objective.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Technically it's better than IV's, of course (more details on backgrounds, more polygons, etc etc. - it's good, though would be hard to impress non-shmuppers who come from their openworld aaa bobblegums) except, perhaps, low-poly player ship in some "scenes".

It's design decision that make people dislike it - bloom effect, colour palette, contrast etc. - pretty harsh on eyes, subjectively.

Anyway i've been playing r5 again today and i was reminded impressions by Bananamatic (or who was author of those..?) about how enemy placement/patterns on stages are pretty much a filler with some variations and that's it. Hm... what are general thoughts on this?
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

I don't mind the filler sections like that too much. I feel like they are there to fit into the pacing of the music maybe, since the music plays so integrally to the action of the game (one of the game's best assets IMO). And they don't really last too long that it gets annoying. It is an 80 minute experience, and like Gradius V it goes by pretty quickly which is a good thing.
poptart

Post by poptart »

I don't like V for killing the entire original style of the game ie some kind of believable military realism for the a-typical weeb nonsense, it just goes too far from the formula for me and 80 mins is a ridiculous length.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Weeb style? Is it due (eh, military) characters with nonsense dialogues?
FRO

Post by FRO »

Aquas wrote:I don't mind the filler sections like that too much. I feel like they are there to fit into the pacing of the music maybe, since the music plays so integrally to the action of the game (one of the game's best assets IMO). And they don't really last too long that it gets annoying. It is an 80 minute experience, and like Gradius V it goes by pretty quickly which is a good thing.
This is something I noticed as well, upon digging into the game further. The music really ebbs and flows with the different scenes in each stage, and it really does help with the game's flow, to keep you engaged in the action. As for filler sections, I think every good shooter needs to have some minor lulls in the action, from time to time. I mean, I like death metal, but 35-40 minutes of nothing but blast beats gets old and repetitive. By mixing it up a bit, and having portions of a stage that are less frenetic just means that the more action-packed sections heighten the tension, so along with the music, the game has a nice flow that isn't always at full blast.
poptart

Post by poptart »

qmish wrote:Weeb style? Is it due (eh, military) characters with nonsense dialogues?

yes weeb style, it's completely dork lord fodder with the stupid voices and the style, it's a far cry from 1- dx.
qmish

Post by qmish »

eh? it's not even core game content

is part of interface and thats it
poptart

Post by poptart »

qmish wrote:eh? it's not even core game content

is part of interface and thats it

I think the actual game is complete shit.
qmish

Post by qmish »

And can you elaborate on that? Otherwise it sounds you only dismiss it due to presentation.

Imho it's definitely better game than kof sky stage, at least
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

I'm kind of late to the party, but I finally picked this up at a gamestop for surprisingly cheap. The soundtrack cd that came with it was a nice surprise. Listened a few times in my car which was fun. Its very epic and orchestral blandness, so not really my cup of tea. After a while playing I would turn off the music and play my own stereo music.

I'm probably the only guy that turned up the voices. The dialogue in this one is so cheesy, almost on the level of Mobile Light Force 2. The numerous references to coffee start to get to the absurd level.

I really enjoyed this game a lot more than I thought I would. Ended up getting rank 17th on the ps4 leaderboards which surprised me. Thanks to everybody who recommended this one. Ya it plays very differently from my favs raiden 1, 2 and dx, but has a fun acquired taste.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I don't think Mobile Light Force 2 had any dialogue... Unless you count the digitized voices. Though you could be referring to the Castle of Shikigami trilogy as a whole.
Mero

Post by Mero »

I think the US version had a dub/translation that was infamously bad.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

I don't think Mobile Light Force 2 had any dialogue... Unless you count the digitized voices. Though you could be referring to the Castle of Shikigami trilogy as a whole.
Apologies bro, I meant Castle Shikigami 2. But the voice acting on Raiden 5 a bit higher quality than this travesty. One line that always cracked me up in Raiden 5: "As a military man, I work with what I'm provided." It's something like that, and the way he says it makes me realize this voice actor has never been a military man lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDORuIwmR-U
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Yeah, the dialogue in Raiden V can be a bit hilarious at times. Though not to the extent of Shikigami in my opinion. Although Shikigami definitely had its fair share of serious moments in the third game.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Looks like Director's Cut is coming to Switch

https://gematsu.com/2019/03/raiden-v-di ... -in-taiwan
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Really now? What's next? Dariusburst getting a Switch port?
FRO

Post by FRO »

xxx1993 wrote:Really now? What's next? Dariusburst getting a Switch port?
Yes please! All the shmups on Switch. Give me MOAR! :lol: