Super XYX is released! (also now, on itch.io!)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
rtw

Re: Super XYX is released! (also now, on itch.io!)

Post by rtw »

Kaiser wrote:Nope stage clear was accidentally broken in the 13.08.20 update, grab a new build on itch from today (14.08.20) that addresses this issue... while i'm at it.

The "more options" menu can be easily found now.
Key rebinding swaps keys instead of complaining about you trying to use the same button for two things.
GZR Start (checkpoint mode) got fixed up because it had some weird background/music issues.
Thanks for the heads up, will update.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

hmm.. is "standard" difficulty same as "easy"? Since the game started at "challenging" per default, which might be "normal"? or is that same as HARD?

also, any one knows if there is any difference on choosing "start" or "arcade"?

Just cleared the "standard" difficulty.. whoa, but I got a feeling I did something wrong on the last boss or so.. got a wierd ending :)
Awesome game thou!!
Looking to buy, working or faulty: Dodonpachi, Deathsmiles, Ibara, Rainbow Islands, Bubble Bobble.
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

I'm having a tough time getting the itch.io version to recognize my PS4 controller. I've also tried using Steam's universal controller options to help without luck, but I might be doing something wrong. What control methods are others using?
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Knightmare wrote:I'm having a tough time getting the itch.io version to recognize my PS4 controller. I've also tried using Steam's universal controller options to help without luck, but I might be doing something wrong. What control methods are others using?
Try using Joy2Key for time being, we are working on some other controller-related issues as well. ;)

In the meantime, here are the patch notes from Rozyrg for today's update (both steam/itch)
8/15

Added unlocks screen to title (appears once anything is awarded.) Since most unlocks happen in sequence (based on # of game mode clears), some only appear once you have a prerequisite unlock. There is only one that is unusual enough to be worth some explanation... that I've left without one. If you're good at the game I think you'll happen upon the solution naturally, though.
Added Credits to title (appears on first game completion.)
fixed bug preventing hitbox display setting saving from session to session
fixed something very minor in the menu system with Accept Yes/No randomly switching to No for seemingly no reason.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
guigui

Post by guigui »

Sorry to be that guy again : Switch version ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

guigui wrote:Sorry to be that guy again : Switch version ?
Not in plans currently. Outside of bringing Quality of life improvements to Super XYX we are also very busy preparing Zenodeath for it's September release.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I purchased from steam and downloaded it and I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. Odd thing is that I got ~40-45 FPS when I first played. Desktop with 2070 Super and 10700k i7. I think it was due to odd issues with the 144Hz refresh rate. However, after forcing v-sync off in the nvidia settings, the game runs silky smooth at 60 FPS. Reminds me a bit of Fire Arrow and has a nice Toaplan-ish feel to it.
Vic Viper

Post by Vic Viper »

Bought it at itch.io

It works great on linux (using wine). :D
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Finally got some time to sit down with this and I'm having a lot of fun! Just got a scrappy 1CC with the green knight in standard mode and I'm looking forward to delving deeper. 8)
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Think I've unlocked everything now except infinite continues. Managed to get a TLB clear with the helicopter ship. I mean,,, I assume that was the TLB, maybe it was a bit too easy considering that the ending is also a bit of a downer :lol:

Super Arcade mode was a nice surprise, though I think the music might be a bit glitched, it sounds like it isn't looping properly since the stages are so long.

Also I swear the fast oval rainbow bullets from the enemies in the Hellfire stage are bugged because they've never killed me and I'm not normally that lucky.

Debating whether I should go for a Gryzor mode clear with the helicoptor or try and clear the normal mode with some different characters. Still having a blast with this game in any case.

EDIT: the bugged enemies are in the Alien Womb stage not Hellfire. The ones I'm talking about show up at around 13 minutes in the above video. And they are bugged I tested it on a different run, their attack just goes straight through you.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Crashes for me :(

Code: Select all

of Create Event
for object menu_obj:

global variable name 'def_lvs' index (100366) not set before reading it.
at gml_Script_menu_scr
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_menu_scr (line 0)
gml_Script_menu_scr
gml_Object_menu_obj_Create_0
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

pieslice wrote:Crashes for me :(

Code: Select all

of Create Event
for object menu_obj:

global variable name 'def_lvs' index (100366) not set before reading it.
at gml_Script_menu_scr
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_menu_scr (line 0)
gml_Script_menu_scr
gml_Object_menu_obj_Create_0
Here's a solution provided by the steam community

1. Right click on Super XYX in your library > Properties > Updates tab > uncheck "Enable Steam Cloud Synchronization"

2. Delete the Appdata Super XYX folder (%localappdata%/simpshm_xyx)

3. Launch the game

4. Quit the game then re-enable the Steam Cloud for the game.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Kaiser wrote:
Here's a solution provided by the steam community

1. Right click on Super XYX in your library > Properties > Updates tab > uncheck "Enable Steam Cloud Synchronization"

2. Delete the Appdata Super XYX folder (%localappdata%/simpshm_xyx)

3. Launch the game

4. Quit the game then re-enable the Steam Cloud for the game.
Thanks. That worked.
You might want to check that the game closes gracefully with Alt+F4. As far as I can remember I closed by Alt+F4 while ingame before the game broke down.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Is there an official changelog for Super XYX ?
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

rtw wrote:Is there an official changelog for Super XYX ?
Yes, it's the devlog on itch.
Go to https://gryzor.itch.io/super-xyx
Bottom of the page has the release notes for every patch release.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Thanks!
Rahndail

Post by Rahndail »

Also not to be that guy but... Dreamcast port? :lol:
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Rahndail wrote:Also not to be that guy but... Dreamcast port? :lol:
No, there will not be a Dreamcast port.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

It seems that an Ultracade UVC would be needed to get Super XYX running on a 240p candy cab setup, right? If it can be set to 640 x 480 resolution via VGA output, that'd be gravy (especially in tate, indeed).

Super XYX feels like it should be a bonafide arcade PCB release -- any plans to release it in an arcade PCB format in the nearby future?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dark

Post by dark »

I bought this today and am greatly enjoying it.

You see, me and XYX go way back...

I was a dreamcast fan around 2012 and heard about Neo XYX as an upcoming game by NG Dev Team. The pictures looked cool so I investigated and found out it was derived from the earlier XYX incomplete game downloadable on this forum. I wasn't much of a shmup fan, I'd played the odd game here and there a little bit, but the primary reason I was checking it out was because it was a game that could be coming to dreamcast. I checked out the XYX demo and greatly enjoyed it. In fact playing the demo of XYX was so fun it made me seek out some of the games that might have been inspiration for XYX, such as cave and toaplan games. I enjoyed playing those games on an emulator and eventually became an overall shmups fan (primarily vertical shmups) buying and enjoying many of the 3D dreamcast shmups and playing the 2D arcade stuff more regularly and more seriously on mame.

Eventually Neo XYX came out, and it was good, but the gameplay didn't feel like the XYX demo. It wasn't as fast or smooth, the enemies and objects didn't smoothly scale or rotate like in the XYX demo, and the screen resolution seemed different as well. I gathered these were limitations of the neogeo hardware, and there is a coolness factor to having the game fit within the limitations of actual old arcade hardware, but I'd become used to the XYX I knew through the demo, and these limitations felt like a downgrade. The bullet patterns didn't always feel as well thought out either, but it was still neat to see the XYX idea fleshed out and play a longer and larger game than existed in the XYX demo.

This game is the best of both worlds. Its much more similar to the XYX demo that I liked the gameplay of. It's got the resolutions, and smoothness of rotation and scaling that the demo had, and obviously its much larger/longer/polished than that earlier work was. It's been a long time coming, but I'm very pleased to see the final product for the game that basically made me get into shmups. Great job!
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

1CC'd the Arcade mode with the "Challenging" difficulty; got a tad over 17mil points, 1LC:d 4 first stages. I skipped the Gauntlet on purpose to save the bombs for later levels.

Now... let's aim for 1LC until the last stage and trying to conserve bombs for the 6th boss...

Nice game you got there I have to say!
dark

Post by dark »

It took me awhile to figure out that I could change the speed of the ship in the options menu. Changing it from 1 to 3 greatly increased decreased the difficulty. I finally got through all the game's levels and man, that final boss is beautiful and fun to play against.

Wasn't Green Knight female in the demo :lol: ?
qmish

Post by qmish »

Only 2 pages on this forum? Weird, for me Super XYX instantly became one of best game releases of 2020.

Here is ShmupJunkie video that also explains connection with Neo XYX:
https://youtu.be/Jz6tseOCV9Y

Also it looks like... update in the works?
https://steamcommunity.com/games/654500 ... 0280330157
Samuray

Post by Samuray »

I just wish there'd be a physical console release.

Love XYX on the Neo Geo and this looks soooo incredibly nice as well.