Degica localizing (the ORIGINAL) Castle of Shikigami!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Cee
Banned User

Re: Degica localizing (the ORIGINAL) Castle of Shikigami!

Post by Cee »

Bananamatic wrote:lol does anyone actually read that shit
Fuck no, just more things to button mash skip through.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Cee wrote:
Fuck no, just more things to button mash skip through.
you could just disable any story related stuff and voices in shiki 2 entirely
don't think I bothered with it even once
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

Well i just find video game stories to be overtly summarized dumbed down cringey bullshite 99% of the time and i just want to play the fucking game without the 3 line musings of a cloud surfing wand loli and her goobertron sidekicks. Stories are something I'd rather absorb through the mediums of film and literature.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Cee wrote:Well i just find video game stories to be overtly summarized dumbed down cringey bullshite 99% of the time and i just want to play the fucking game without the 3 line musings of a cloud surfing wand loli and her goobertron sidekicks. Stories are something I'd rather absorb through the mediums of film and literature.
Shikigami's story is nothing like that. Maybe you should play it before passing judgment.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

I've played it many times thank you very much and yes it is, cringe childish bullshit for adhd man children who can't embrace more developed forms of story telling so find the short bursts of cliche nonsense to accompany a video game appealing. You're probably the type that uses star war analogies in political discourse.
ElOhTeeBee

Post by ElOhTeeBee »

ignore feature when
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Cee wrote:I've played it many times thank you very much and yes it is, cringe childish bullshit for adhd man children who can't embrace more developed forms of story telling so find the short bursts of cliche nonsense to accompany a video game appealing. You're probably the type that uses star war analogies in political discourse.
Boy did I strike a nerve. I'm sorry video game story telling is too childish for your refined palate.

That doesn't even sound like Shikigami 1 you're describing.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Apparently not, since no one wanted to bother proofreading even once...
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

how does it play anyways? is the port as bad as I heard? no leaderboards/practice modes/anything?
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Bananamatic wrote:how does it play anyways? is the port as bad as I heard? no leaderboards/practice modes/anything?
There are leaderboards, but no practice mode. There's SnS EX for that, at least.
Sumez wrote:
Apparently not, since no one wanted to bother proofreading even once...
I spent months fine tuning the script, lol. I don't even think they spent a day.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Cee wrote:I've played it many times thank you very much and yes it is, cringe childish bullshit for adhd man children who can't embrace more developed forms of story telling so find the short bursts of cliche nonsense to accompany a video game appealing. You're probably the type that uses star war analogies in political discourse.

Slightly coarse to say the least, but I think he has a point here. I'd agree video games with shoehorned "stories" tend to rank incredibly low where literary quality is concerned - to the point where you can question whether or not they're necessary at all. I haven't found a shmup where a "story" outside of the instruction manual or brief prologue/ending was necessary, mainly because the intrigue of the plot is nonexistent and therefore it tends to manifest as instant boredom that you scan and tap through as quicly as possible to get back to the game.

There are very few games in history that I can recall ever having the equivalent of a page turning factor, and when they did it was usually the game structure that presented as an unspoken narrative. Shadow of the Colossus is a good example I think: there's barely a word in it yet it has an incredibly memorable story.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I can number about 3 "page turners" in my own experience of the medium. Trails in The Sky being one of them.

IMO Textual narratives in shmups are best used to quickly establish the mood and atmosphere of the journey. For me the perfect example is X-Multiply: "You are inside a human body". A single sentence (not even directly present in the game itself) that renders the ensuing eldritch horror art-direction far more disquieting and morbid than if it merely represented an alien planet.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Squire Grooktook wrote:For me the perfect example is X-Multiply: "You are inside a human body".
That's what I mean about a prologue and ending being enough to support the game. "Inside a human body" is a premise, rather than a story - and that's all you need to engage with the game.

I'm certainly not the type of person to bother reading through Shikigami's dialogues, and especially not with more than one character, because I don't feel as though it actually brings anything to the game. It's not novel grade stuff; it's throwaway and superficial.

cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Skykid wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:For me the perfect example is X-Multiply: "You are inside a human body".
That's what I mean about a prologue and ending being enough to support the game. "Inside a human body" is a premise, rather than a story - and that's all you need to engage with the game.

I'm certainly not the type of person to bother reading through Shikigami's dialogues, and especially not with more than one character, because I don't feel as though it actually brings anything to the game. It's not novel grade stuff; it's throwaway and superficial.
Different characters give different layers to the bosses' personalities.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

cj iwakura wrote:
Skykid wrote:

Different characters give different layers to the bosses' personalities.
But the bosses have no personalities, and neither do any of the other characters. Not for lack of trying of course, but it's just it's all so thinly written and constructed that there's no real weight or gravity to connect with. It's surface stuff: some portraits offering a few back and forths. It's really no better than low grade anime drivel.

mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Speaking of plot stuff, is CoS1's script as weird as 2 or 3's?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I seem to recall that the first game took itself more seriously than the sequels, which weren't afraid to be goofy (particularly 3), but it's been awhile.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:Speaking of plot stuff, is CoS1's script as weird as 2 or 3's?
As said, definitely more serious. The writing starts being more silly at 2, but even the sequels have serious elements.

It isn't high theater or anything, but Miyoko was an idol who got back stabbed by her studio for dating her manager, Fujishima used to be JSDF and went rogue,
the final boss is Gennojo's ex, etc. At least they put in an effort.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Very short sequences between levels are the best in shmups and action games in general. No need for more than a couple of sentences or pictures/animations, mere seconds are enough to build the mood.
In shmups even just some bold camera moves or whatever graphical effect/animation seemingly without ingame interruption, just to show you're entering a new zone, are the best. Since in most games you're flying something anyways there's plenty of opportunities. I'm not against the same sort of stuff before bosses, but it's got to be even swifter.
The Shiki formula doesn't work with me either, too much talk and characters I'm not interested in. Maybe if it was some kind of STG-RPG mashup it wouldn't be so much out of place/pace, but I don't recall ever seeing any such sort of 'shmurpg' worthy of being considered as such anyway.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Xyga wrote:Very short sequences between levels are the best in shmups and action games in general. No need for more than a couple of sentences or pictures/animations, mere seconds are enough to build the mood.
In shmups even just some bold camera moves or whatever graphical effect/animation seemingly without ingame interruption, just to show you're entering a new zone, are the best. Since in most games you're flying something anyways there's plenty of opportunities. I'm not against the same sort of stuff before bosses, but it's got to be even swifter.
The Shiki formula doesn't work with me either, too much talk and characters I'm not interested in. Maybe if it was some kind of STG-RPG mashup it wouldn't be so much out of place/pace, but I don't recall ever seeing any such sort of 'shmurpg' worthy of being considered as such anyway.
The average conversation between stages in Shiki is six lines. This isn't Planescape Torment levels of reading.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Although the third game definitely had its fair share of serious moments.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Why are people taking issue with something as harmless as a nicer setting in shmups? Heavy character interactions are almost always going to be better than faceless spaceships. You don't even have to like the characters, the basic idea is just strictly better.

Not a fan of this port, the premise is faulty. Should have been a port of EX, without exception. Even if it's an older Windows version, it's still a Windows version and one that works just fine on Windows 7, at least. Will not purchase.
ElOhTeeBee wrote:ignore feature when
No, see, that's the easy way out, and it doesn't solve the problem.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Has anyone tried to dig into the files to see if anything matches SnS EX? Putting in dub voices would be pretty great.

I'm told it's based on totally different source code, but maybe someone can confirm?
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
clippa

Post by clippa »

The slowdown is as close as we can get to the original console releases, but will vary depending on your PC.
Really?
Please tell me that "it will vary depending on your pc" only if you can't hit the 60fps cap.