First Psikyo Game Looped

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dino_246

First Psikyo Game Looped

Post by Dino_246 »

Yeah, it's probably the easiest of the pack.....Gunbird.....but it still has it's classic Psikyo cheapshots and fast spreads (Lv 6 Dragon anyone?) and whatnot......

.....And then i got pwned by suicide bullets, man those things are fast.........

Any suggestions on which would be a good one to try next?
Everyone out of the chunnel!!!!!!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Zero Gunner 2 is the most fun loop-wise in my experience. Generally I think the loop levels aren't very well balanced in Psikyo's games.
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

Which character?

Also, is there any way around the randomization of the levels (without save states)? I find that one of the most frustrating parts of trying to learn a Psikyo game in general.

As far as what to try next from Psikyo, I'm finding Dragon Blaze to pretty much rule, though freakin' hard as well.
Dino_246

Post by Dino_246 »

I beat it with....Tetsu, he's basically a powerhouse with those missiles of his....even when he powers down after too much shooting.

And no, i have yet to find a way around the randomization. I tried the ESPRaDe trick, where you press either B or C, but to no avail. This really annoyed me, because i HATE getting that train boss on the 3rd level......not to mention the level itself has a good chance of killing you when you get to the part with the turrets that pop out of the roof tiles.
Everyone out of the chunnel!!!!!!
landshark

Re: First Psikyo Game Looped

Post by landshark »

Definitely wouldn't call it the easiest of the pack.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

snap monkey wrote:Which character?

Also, is there any way around the randomization of the levels (without save states)? I find that one of the most frustrating parts of trying to learn a Psikyo game in general.

As far as what to try next from Psikyo, I'm finding Dragon Blaze to pretty much rule, though freakin' hard as well.
There's no way to control what levels you get, but the levels always come in the same order after the 1st level is randomnly chosen. So once you know the pattern, you can reset if you don't like the level order. Outside of scoring losses, I personally don't mind the randomization because it adds a bit of variety during replays.
Anarchos

Post by Anarchos »

Yeah, it gives the game more depth, which for me is very important in a game as "shallow" as a shmup, because it will take alot for me to keep on playing the same shit over and over again. :wink:

Gunbird is the easiest Psikyo-game, although it's not that easy I would say. Depends on what kind of person you are and how good at shmuping. I've also cleared the first loop in Strikers 1945, so it is possible.

Promise to tell us when you clear Space Bomber, cuz that is one very fucking wicked game, I'm telling you.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I'd say Sengoku Ace is a wee bit easier than GunBird considering I 1CCed Sengoku Ace in about 3 hours and GunBird took me roughly 5x that. That being said, I like Ace better.
Anarchos

Post by Anarchos »

Ah, fuck darn it. Sengoku Ace is the only one I haven't tried (except for Toy-something and Gunbardich) because they don't work in MAME on neither my nor my friends computer. If you have an idea why, PM me. :wink:
landshark

Post by landshark »

The easiest for me to get through the 1st round is still Strikers 1999.

That dragon woops me in gunbird everytime.
Anarchos

Post by Anarchos »

99' is to new so I can't play it smoothly. But I'm surprised anyway, since I would guess that they only made their games harder and harder.

And the dragon in Gunbird is even more difficult than the last boss. I bomb everytime. :D
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

Nemo wrote:
There's no way to control what levels you get, but the levels always come in the same order after the 1st level is randomnly chosen. So once you know the pattern, you can reset if you don't like the level order.
Does this hold true for all/most of Psikyo's games, or just Gunbird? I guess I never pay enough attention to notice...
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

snap monkey wrote:
Nemo wrote:
There's no way to control what levels you get, but the levels always come in the same order after the 1st level is randomnly chosen. So once you know the pattern, you can reset if you don't like the level order.
Does this hold true for all/most of Psikyo's games, or just Gunbird? I guess I never pay enough attention to notice...
In my experience, just GunBird, but it seemed like it may hold true for Sengoku Ace unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention.