Senko no Ronde 2 announced for PS4 and PC

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Zaarock

Re: Senko no Ronde 2 announced for PS4 and PC

Post by Zaarock »

Oniros wrote:OST out tomorrow on iTunes! $15.99 USD
That's a remaster of Senko no Ronde 1 OST, not this game. Hype though :o It's not just on iTunes

PS4 version got a small patch today but assuming it doesnt include a netcode fix yet. Haven't had a chance to try it.
Starting to figure out some neat techniques for each character like Theo & Fabian. Theo can do some crazy things with his new bullet canceller. I'll probably still main Luca. Shinobu seems bad in this version but Sakurako is surprisingly fun (bullet canceller cant deal with her barrages)
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Keade wrote:The game resolution in the PC version is limited to 1080p :(
Framerate is limited to 60fps but that I find more understandable (and is rather common).

PS. iTunes :( Still, better than nothing :) According to the tracklist, almost all tracks are "remasters".
There is also https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/旋光の輪舞 ... 1281840332 btw, "Senko No Ronde Full Arrange Album - Reassemble", never released before I think. Can't wait ! The typo is still there in "First Rendez-vons" btw ^^

edit: I can't make a working link in my post :twisted: any help appreciated :oops:
It is available on Google Play as well!
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Keade

Post by Keade »

Oniros wrote:It is available on Google Play as well!
As pointed above: this one looks extremely similar (identical ?) to Senko no Ronde -Sound Tracks- released in 2005 (see http://vgmdb.net/album/331)...with 2 tracks less :P
That album is sooo awesome it was well worth a re-release 'though.

Tracks from "Senko no ronde Full arrange album -Reassemble-" look like entirely new arrangements.

There are previews for SNR2 soundtrack there http://senkoro.com/products. Also features the tracklist for the CD release (13 tracks. Enclosed with the limited edition of the game)
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I asked this in the Shmups Discord, but didn't get an in-depth answer. So I thought I'd ask here:

So, how much actual "dodging" does this game have? Do you actually maneuver or sight-read things, or is it more like Suguri where it's more about I-frame dashing through stuff.

I'm guessing that this is a fighting game first and foremost, and therefore matches are decided by reads and rock-paper-scissors guessing games, and not by on the spot reactions.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
NickPalmerDegica

Post by NickPalmerDegica »

PS4 Netcode is being worked on as we speak.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Squire Grooktook wrote:So, how much actual "dodging" does this game have? Do you actually maneuver or sight-read things
This game is 100% maneuvering, you don't have invencibility when you dash. If you get hit while dashing you get stunned and that leaves you open for a combo or strong proyectile/attack.
Squire Grooktook

KAI wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:So, how much actual "dodging" does this game have? Do you actually maneuver or sight-read things
This game is 100% maneuvering, you don't have invencibility when you dash. If you get hit while dashing you get stunned and that leaves you open for a combo or strong proyectile/attack.
Interesting. Someone said on the discord that "it seems dodging everything is impossible, you just try to minimize how much damage you take" but he hadn't played it. Wondering how accurate that is?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
KAI

Post by KAI »

I've seen people dodging all the bullets and movements of some B.O.S.S. attacks while having cero remain life in those DUO tourneys on Mikado. Dodging everything is possible, hard as shit but possible.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

This game is less about actual dodging than Senkoro1. There's a universal bullet cancelling attack that can be pretty spammable (opponent has to mix up more and not spam since in this version cancels give meter) and performance varies on character. The patterns are designed with this in mind unlike senkoro 1. For example Henri shoots straight up walls as his main shot / neutral barrage.

There's a couple invincibility frames on the start of dash, but thats a lot harder to use than the canceller and the minimum dash cancel range is significant so going through heavy barrages is rough. Barrier is in just like the first game and it's useful against certain strategies but has a cost here as blocks spew out meter for the enemy. There's certainly room for on the spot reactions. Close range combat oriented characters like Fabian are more about the rock/paper/scissors. A lot of characters have attacks with some i-frame or minibomb property so they can be used aggressively.

TLDR. It's like Sora / AoS. Original senkoro doesn't have bullet cancelling as a focus.
Last edited by Zaarock on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook

Ah interesting. Thanks for the replies.

So @Zaarock would you say senko1 was more of a bullet dodging game?

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Squire Grooktook wrote:So @Zaarock would you say senko1 was more of a bullet dodging game?
Yep. It's also visually closer to Border Down.

But I wouldnt say it makes it a straight up better game. Have to spend a lot of time on this and see how the game evolves first. 2 is a much faster paced game if anything, and getting rewards from quickly cancelling an opponents trap is a good feeling. Same with having to get up close to get the bulk of meter. Character balance seems better than Rev.X to me and there's more of them to play as well. Bullet canceller seems extremely strong but then matches where both players use it to its full extent are really intense, curious to see how it turns out.
NickPalmerDegica wrote:PS4 Netcode is being worked on as we speak.
Sweet.
Last edited by Zaarock on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook

Interesting. Sounds like I might want to try both one day. What's the best version of Senko1? Rev.X?

Might buy 2 on PS4 for funsies. Haven't been spending money lately to fund my game, but maybe I'll treat myself to something.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Keade

Post by Keade »

Steamcharts is not exactly an accurate indicator of the sales (it tracks only people playing, and, if I understand correctly how it does it, only those with a profile set to public), but this is disappointing :(
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Keade wrote:Steamcharts is not exactly an accurate indicator of the sales (it tracks only people playing, and, if I understand correctly how it does it, only those with a profile set to public), but this is disappointing :(
It's a sequel to a series mostly unknown in the West and slightly more known in Japan with unorthodox gameplay, a price tag of $40, not particularly appealing presentation, a playerbase split up between the PC and PS4 versions, had very barebones marketing, and a Mixed rating on Steam as a result of netcode issues affecting the bread and butter of the game.

It's what it is.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

told you lol
Keade

Post by Keade »

Well, all current negative ratings on Steam come from Japanese players, or at least, people who main language would be Japanese. Maybe their main gripe with the game actually is the netcode, who knows. I cannot read Japanese :)
100% agree about the other points.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Keade wrote:Well, all current negative ratings on Steam come from Japanese players, or at least, people who main language would be Japanese. Maybe their main gripe with the game actually is the netcode, who knows. I cannot read Japanese :)
100% agree about the other points.
a quick muddling through of those reviews using Google Translate does reveal connectivity issues as the main culprit
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Well then, let's try to keep the community going instead of complaining before even trying. The games discord has a decent amount of players by now. If you can get regular people to train with and some netcode issues get patched it should be OK. People will play the PS4 version more once the disconnect bug is fixed.

Don't see how this is any different from Twinkle Star Sprites, POFV etc. You're not going to get a huge playerbase but if you have a stable one it'll be played for years to come.
Keade

Post by Keade »

It looks like beside the OST (provided with PS4 collector edition), the re-release of SNR1 remasters and the new arrange album, there is another arrange album for SNR2, see http://grev.shop-pro.jp/?pid=121618227
Not much to see (no tracklist, no samples).

edit: whoops you are right, what I thought was "arrange" is more like "original drama" :oops:
Last edited by Keade on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Keade wrote:It looks like beside the OST (provided with PS4 collector edition), the re-release of SNR1 remasters and the new arrange album, there is another arrange album for SNR2, see http://grev.shop-pro.jp/?pid=121618227
Not much to see (no tracklist, no samples).
That's not an arrange album, that's the audio drama for Senkoro 2
Xyga wrote:
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201709210037/
Temjin and Valken coming as DLC (!)
KAI

Post by KAI »

The circle is complete.
G-rev best dlcs.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Karel, Lili and voice pack DLCs being released for free(?) on the 28th. That's pretty awesome.
They showed some early footage of temjin & valken. Valken looks fun to play already, lots of attack variety.

PS4 netcode fix and initial balance changes also next monday?
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

EDIT: wrong topic
Last edited by Oniros on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook wrote:

*cue Heavy Day*
Keade

Post by Keade »

:?:
Wrong topic ? :wink:
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Keade wrote::?:
Wrong topic ? :wink:
Yup. :/
Squire Grooktook wrote:

*cue Heavy Day*
Squire Grooktook

Valken

N-NANI...?

Aeon Zenith - My STG.