DoDonPachi: Unlimited (IOS/Android) - 19th January!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
HydrogLox

Re: DoDonPachi: Unlimited (IOS/Android) - 19th January!

Post by HydrogLox »

Developed by APXSOFT, published by MOBIRIX, licensed from cave.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

it's shit, right?
shoryusatsu999

Post by shoryusatsu999 »

With that attitude, everything that exists is shit.

It probably won't be arcade quality, but that's to be expected.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Dodon Unlimited Pachi.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

shoryusatsu999 wrote:It probably won't be arcade quality, but that's to be expected.
If you are familiar with the mobile incarnations of Tengai, Strikers 1945-2, Strikers 1999 and Gunbird 2 then you know what to expect.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

HydrogLox wrote:
shoryusatsu999 wrote:It probably won't be arcade quality, but that's to be expected.
If you are familiar with the mobile incarnations of Tengai, Strikers 1945-2, Strikers 1999 and Gunbird 2 then you know what to expect.
Gunbird 2 for mobile was kind of shit indeed. Strikers was cool though.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Mushi gold label was shit, expecting this to be similar. If it's free, I'll give it a look though.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

brokenhalo wrote:Mushi gold label was shit, expecting this to be similar. If it's free, I'll give it a look though.
No, it wasn't...and isn't. All Mobirix published mobile shmups are solid jobs, technically and gameplaywise.
And yeah, this one will be "free" too.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

trap15 wrote:Dodon Unlimited Pachi.
Dodunlimitedpachi.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

The Unknown? I'm the one who knows!
My shmup achievements | and my Superplays!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It's probably gonna turn out to be pretty limited.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Necronom wrote:
brokenhalo wrote:Mushi gold label was shit, expecting this to be similar. If it's free, I'll give it a look though.
No, it wasn't...and isn't. All Mobirix published mobile shmups are solid jobs, technically and gameplaywise.
And yeah, this one will be "free" too.
The game is a grind fest. Stage 1 isn't bad, then you hit stage 2 and can't kill anything. Grind for a while to power up your ship, squeak past stage 2, and hit a wall in stage 3 because you can't kill anything again. The game isn't skill-based in the slightest. It's just a grind fest wherein they hope you'll drop money on in-game currency to cut the grind down. It's not good. I haven't played their other ports, so can't comment on them.
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

It's probably Cave's fault, so to speak. Mushihimesama had the same problem.
The Psikyo stuff only had more ships, that you didn't need, Options, that you didn't need, and power ups, as in, ypur ship starts stronger, that you didn't need. And Continues, of which the price increased the more you used them during the same run.

Haven't played it yet, but...
Are they seriously trying to hide Hibachi's identity?
One of the screenshots on the Play Store features the three waifus at the top and Hibachi's shadow at the bottom with "Who is she?" - in all caps, mind you - written on it.
Like, lol.

EDIT:
Nah, it's not that bad.
I mean, the sound effects are garbage, the explosions not satisfying, but it's not that grindy. Yet.
How slowly you get coins is fucking insane, though. They had medals in the game, but no, someone at Mobrix/Cave had the brilliant idea to create a completely separate, random currency.
Also, where's the laser? Where's the Hyper? You know, the main thing that separates DDP from every other game? This seems more like a generic shmup with Saidaioujou music.

"Stage 1+2"? What is this, Chronicle Saviours?
astroid

Post by astroid »

What a shame, its just a world release of old 2-stage Dodonpachi Ichimenbanchou with locked ships, huge donate and on-screen ads! :evil:
ImageImageImage
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

There are stages that cost coins?! Stages that cost coins...
Haha. That's so freaking stupid.

As is the stage order. Stage 1, then 2, then 1+2, then boss 1, then 2, then boss 1+2, then stage EX1 even though there are a hundred thousand difficulties? And that one costs coins?

Coins aren't random, though: you get them by destroying the bosses' parts and specific enemies/objects. Still, they're extremely rare and grindy.
Last edited by AxelMill on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
astroid

Post by astroid »

Yeah, 7 difficulties, 2 stages, 2 bosses and nothing more.
ImageImageImage
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

This so fucking much.

I hate it when games do stupid crap with their title banners.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I told you lmao
slateman

Post by slateman »

I haven't figured out the meaning to StageEX1 or 2. They cost 10 or 15 to play but......is that it? That makes no sense.

Otherwise this is almost the same thing as Ichimen Banchou. Coins are even in the same spots, but these gems...can they be earned in any way at all or just purchased?

I saw that the harder difficulties are locked behind a gem paywall. Fun.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

is EX1 hibachi and EX2 inbachi?

hibachi's voice was a ridiculously bad vocaloid or something in ichimen bancho, how are they in this one?
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

Maybe there are daily bonuses that give you gems? Maybe? Hopefully?
Bananamatic wrote:is EX1 hibachi and EX2 inbachi?

hibachi's voice was a ridiculously bad vocaloid or something in ichimen bancho, how are they in this one?
EX1 is stage 1, but... You have to pay for it. I don't see any other difference.
EX2 is stage 2.
Then immediately after that is EX6, where you only fight Hibachi. I'm now grinding to power up a bit.
The second boss is the best way to do so. Destroy its antennas, then its "arms", then suicide, tadah, 4 coins in 30 seconds. Too bad there's the loading and the game over screen.

On my first try, because yes, I lost to her, I couldn't listen to the game, so I don't know her voice. What I do know is that there's a 10-second "cutscene" before you fight her. Like SDOJ, I think.

Bombing is so uncomfortable, here. Why do I have to double-tap with my finger, every smartphone is multi-touch these days.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wtf, they even turned Hibachi into a manga girl, now?? I've really been out of the loop for too long.
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

Ugh, don't fight Hibachi with headphones ever again...
So, I couldn't tell at first. "Definitely more earrape-y than I remembered", I said. Then I used a bomb, and she screamed "Barrier! Heiki da moooon" or whatever. Yup, she's not the SDOJ voice actor. Whether she's the same "ridiculously bad vocaloid" Bananamatic mentioned or not, I don't know.
I think the Navigator is different, too. She turned into a ridiculously bad Vocaloid. Must be contagious.

By the way, do not buy the level 3 option shot. The shot will spread out, making Hibachi much more difficult and tedious than necessary. I'm screwed. Don't repeat my same mistake.
Sumez wrote:Wtf, they even turned Hibachi into a manga girl, now?? I've really been out of the loop for too long.
Welcome to 2012. The world's gonna end on December 21st, better be ready.
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

yes
Spoiler
Now there's EX1+2. 25 coins. Yeah, bye, game. Let's go back to Danmaku Death.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

brokenhalo wrote:The game isn't skill-based in the slightest. It's just a grind fest wherein they hope you'll drop money on in-game currency to cut the grind down.
You're exaggerating. Since it's F2P there's a heavy grind factor BUT grind will get you nowhere if your skills don't get better while replaying the levels.
After you power up 1 or two times reaching stage 3 on normal is very manageable. Once you unlock Maniac difficulty you can go goldhunting on Maniac and trying to 1cc or go for score on Normal. Works fine for me!;-)

About Dodon Unlimited:

Had a few rounds today...and yeah, seems it's a remixed Ichimenbanchou. Quite fun with some slick and clean graphics but damn are the sound fx horrible!
The on-screen ads are just a slim stripe in the upper corner so I don't really get the hate here but all in all it seems to be more grindy than any of the other Mobirix shmups. And where's the laser?!
Quite a mixed bag imo...though still pretty fun on a short commute.
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

i wonder why they just didnt reuse the voice clips they already have of highly sought after VAs to voice the characters instead of replacing them with literally interns from cave
shoryusatsu999

Post by shoryusatsu999 »

Van_Artic wrote:i wonder why they just didnt reuse the voice clips they already have of highly sought after VAs to voice the characters instead of replacing them with literally interns from cave
Licensing for VAs is a lot more strict in Japan than it is elsewhere. I could see them being unable to use the original seiyuus' work without getting sued for breach of contract.
ave

Post by ave »

Just played it for 30 minutes, here my observations in a nutshell

- no laser, regular shot is weak as fuck. At first I thought I did something wrong
- powering up the shot takes a lot of grinding and happens in very marginal steps
- everything costs in game currency and it's a pain to earn (coins)
- the good stuff costs the suckier type of currency that I don't even know how to earn (rubies)
- music is recycled

but the worst of all:
MY FINGER IS BLOCKING THE SCREEN

Seriously, fuck this developer. Half the time I cannot see where my ship is going because my hand is in the way. What was wrong about the way Cave solved it when there was a blank space in the bottom that you use to control the ship? It was not ideal, but it was something. Now this... it's just pure garbage. Mobile gaming did it again and turned a great brand into a representation of turd.
THE ETERNAL