DoDonPachi: Unlimited (IOS/Android) - 19th January!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Elixir

Re: DoDonPachi: Unlimited (IOS/Android) - 19th January!

Post by Elixir »

Van_Artic wrote:they just didnt reuse the voice clips they already have of highly sought after VAs
oh, aya hirano is highly sought after alright
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

It seems there are no daily bonuses.
So yeah, you're forced to pay real money to unlock pretty much anything.
But you can grind 150 coins to be able to play as another waifu! Even though that changes nothing besides a different person appearing on the "Start" screen and a very useless "perk".

Speaking of waifus, did anyone try to touch them?
Stupid programmers couldn't even make a special animation if you were to touch their boobs (or, half the time, lack thereof). No, they just bend backwards in the creepiest way allowed by Adobe Flash. Either that, or they have a second-long epilectic seizure.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

AxelMill wrote: Stupid programmers couldn't even make a special animation if you were to touch their boobs
It's official now. There is no hope left for Cave.
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

Considering all they did for the past few years was objectify every single female character they had and/or specificlally create ones for that purpose alone, better go full-on Compile Heart, no?
That, or remove this feature entirely because there's no reason for it to be there. Unless there are people into bent-backwards girls.
/offtopic

Even though I said "bye, game", I want to try the other difficulties. If you take it as a demo of Saidaioujou, it's... Acceptable? I guess?

EDIT:
Make that difficulty: like slateman said, harder difficulties are locked behind a paywall. Starting from hard. So you can only play on Easy and on Normal.

Oh God. Try to touch Saya when she's in her swimsuit.
If she bends to the left, her left leg goes outside her pants. As in, it disjoints from her body. That's even creepier than the bending itself.
ave

Post by ave »

AxelMill wrote:Speaking of waifus, did anyone try to touch them?
Not until you wrote this... oh dear, that's one terrible "animation". Looks like she suffers from a 1-second spasm every time you touch her. What is that even supposed to represent?

Is nobody here experiencing the problem with your own finger blocking the screen, by the way? I don't have fat fingers but I constantly have to reposition my hand in order to even see where my ship moves, and I often find myself in situations where my finger is either blocking my ship or the bullet patterns that fly towards me. It's fucking ridiculous...

And how in the world do I activate the laser... you know, the one main thing that everyone thinks of when they hear "Dodonpachi"? I upgraded my shot and option shot 3 times each and no laser in sight.

Also, what a tedious grind... stage 1 gets you maybe 7 coins. I sometimes even choose to watch these incredibly long (45 sec) commercials only to increase it to 12 coins. One upgrade now costs 25+ coins... and the stupid bathing suit is 150 coins. I'd have to play stage 1 13 times and watch 13 commercials in order to get a pointless bathing suit costume.

I do play mobile games and while I generally hate them all, there are some that I do enjoy a bit. DDP Unlimited looks like an incredibly unbalanced disgrace of a game so far... shame on Cave for licensing this.
THE ETERNAL
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

ave wrote:
Not until you wrote this... oh dear, that's one terrible "animation". Looks like she suffers from a 1-second spasm every time you touch her. What is that even supposed to represent?
You wacking their faces with a hammer?
I don't know.
ave wrote:Is nobody here experiencing the problem with your own finger blocking the screen, by the way? I don't have fat fingers but I constantly have to reposition my hand in order to even see where my ship moves, and I often find myself in situations where my finger is either blocking my ship or the bullet patterns that fly towards me. It's fucking ridiculous...
I position my finger half an inch below the ship. Besides one of Hibachi's attacks, bullets will never come from behind, so you're safe.
ave wrote:And how in the world do I activate the laser... you know, the one main thing that everyone thinks of when they hear "Dodonpachi"? I upgraded my shot and option shot 3 times each and no laser in sight.
Haha. Yeah, sure.
Next time you're gonna ask for stage 3 or something.
ave wrote:[...] and the stupid bathing suit is 150 coins. I'd have to play stage 1 13 times and watch 13 commercials in order to get a pointless bathing suit costume.
Actually, no.
The only "Pilots" you can buy with coins are regular Hikari and regular Maria. The "Day-off" suits, as well as regular Saya, cost 30 gems - pardon me, rubies - and the bathing suits and the other ships fifty.
30 of them cost 3 euros.

Does anyone know what the hell "Increase the range to seal common enemy's attack" means? Bullet cancel?

Not even the leaderboards work: it says I set a World Record for every single stage I played. Feels good, I guess.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sealing an attack is when you fly really close to an enemy, or on top of them if possible, causing them to not fire bullets when they otherwise would have, in an act of game design decency.
slateman

Post by slateman »

I'm a DDP fanboy and even I hate this. (but I'll keep playing, likely)

This is just Ichimen Banchou but worse. The 30-second ads that give free coins just freeze my phone. Paying coins to play EX stages make zero sense to me...well, outside of unlocking other EX stages. Is someone truly going to spend $100 USD for 1,500 rubies? I guess someone might.

I understand F2P and its models. I just think this is poor implementation. Sucks. But, it's DDP so I'll play it for a few days/weeks to get my fix. :)
ave

Post by ave »

AxelMill wrote:30 rubies cost 3 euros.
What the cake. Is there any way to earn rubies yourself at all? Usually most other f2p shitgames give you a a single ruby-thing out of pity every now and then just so you realize how awfully hard it is to earn them without paying.

100 rubies for $100 lol. Imagine that a full highest-quality fully unlocked DDP used to cost $60 new for consoles, and that included manufacturing and distribution of a physical product and much higher development cost. Now you're supposed to be interested to pay $100 for an ad-infested downloadable turd.
THE ETERNAL
ave

Post by ave »

For some strange reason, I keep playing this game... there are so many upgrades man. I don't even know what the difference is anymore... "Increase the speed of shots fired" vs. "Increase the speed of option(main) shots fired"... every bit of the shot needs to be powered up separately in steps that are hardly even noticeable. When I last increased the speed of my main shot, I almost thought the game bugged out on the upgrade because I couldn't tell even the slightest difference (and that was for 50 coins, lvl 7).

What a disgrace to Dodonpachi... seriously... this is probably the worst "mobile game" adaption that could happen to the series, and it actually happened. sigh.
Last edited by ave on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE ETERNAL
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

I deleted it. The only redeeming quality was the feel-good SDOJ nostalgia triggered by the music. Bullet Hell Monday is a much better game.
ave

Post by ave »

amdiggywhut wrote:The only redeeming quality was the feel-good SDOJ nostalgia triggered by the music.
...which I don't even hear because I usually play on the train without headphones ^^

I'll check out Bullet Hell Monday, thanks!
THE ETERNAL
gs68

Post by gs68 »

slateman wrote:I'm a DDP fanboy and even I hate this. (but I'll keep playing, likely)

This is just Ichimen Banchou but worse. The 30-second ads that give free coins just freeze my phone. Paying coins to play EX stages make zero sense to me...well, outside of unlocking other EX stages. Is someone truly going to spend $100 USD for 1,500 rubies? I guess someone might.

I understand F2P and its models. I just think this is poor implementation. Sucks. But, it's DDP so I'll play it for a few days/weeks to get my fix. :)
Personally I don't feel like ditching my hard-earned upgrades from and stage unlocks ICMBC and starting with a "museum ship just taken out of mothballs"-quality ship all over again.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

amdiggywhut wrote:Bullet Hell Monday is a much better game.
Thanks for the recommendation! Very fun game so far.
ave

Post by ave »

I put in a bit over an hour into Bullet Hell Monday and the whole upgrade system is just way better implemented than in shitty DDP Unlimited.

Still though... upgrading your ship over time and offering paid upgrades skews the whole game and takes away the potential for competition, even fair competition with your own highscores.
THE ETERNAL
Mills

Post by Mills »

Was just watching this Youtube link and thinking oh no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOYUMAHIcj8

Google play link for those that wanna give this mess a try https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... onpachi_gg
CaptainKraken

Post by CaptainKraken »

ave wrote:
I'll check out Bullet Hell Monday, thanks!
I guess the one good thing ddp unlimited did was give masayuki ito something to outshine.

CAVE just doesn't put much effort into things anymore. :cry:
Squire Grooktook wrote:Make a game because there's something you want to exist that doesn't.
Shooting game never die!
DomitorInvictus

Post by DomitorInvictus »

amdiggywhut wrote:I deleted it. The only redeeming quality was the feel-good SDOJ nostalgia triggered by the music. Bullet Hell Monday is a much better game.
Was thinking of downloading this for a spin but after reading the feedback here I don't think I should give them a download.

Bullet Hell Monday looks good but I have an android phone, what are some actually good shmups on Android/Google Play?
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

DomitorInvictus wrote:
amdiggywhut wrote:I deleted it. The only redeeming quality was the feel-good SDOJ nostalgia triggered by the music. Bullet Hell Monday is a much better game.
Was thinking of downloading this for a spin but after reading the feedback here I don't think I should give them a download.

Bullet Hell Monday looks good but I have an android phone, what are some actually good shmups on Android/Google Play?
Danmaku Death if you're into bullet hell and bosses. Best shmup on Android.
Abyss Attack if you like a more streamlined, stage-based experience, at the cost of completely not-annoying F2P and randomly generated elements. I hate that crap, yet I kinda liked it.
There are also the other, actually decent Mobirix ports, lile Gunbird 2 and Strikers 1945-II and 1999.
qmish

Post by qmish »

DomitorInvictus wrote:
INheritage: Boundaries of Existance is interesting game from Indonesia. Not perfect but surely made with love.
Last edited by qmish on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

CAVE didn't actually make this, right? Why are we blaming them directly? Just blame them for outsourcing.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Mills

Post by Mills »

DomitorInvictus wrote:

The CGI and gameplay is actually pretty damn smooth. The main nonsense with this title is the amount of conditions you go through to get rewarded. At least with Psikyo mobile games you get daily rewards to power up your ship/fighter and be able to pay-to-play the more difficult rank levels. BGM is different but that doesn't bother me. I just wanna be able to play all the ships and GOD rank. Why there are two difficulty rank above GOD seems a bit Ott.
Mills

Post by Mills »

AxelMill wrote:
ave wrote:
You wacking their faces with a hammer?
I don't know.
ave wrote:Is nobody here experiencing the problem with your own finger blocking the screen, by the way? I don't have fat fingers but I constantly have to reposition my hand in order to even see where my ship moves, and I often find myself in situations where my finger is either blocking my ship or the bullet patterns that fly towards me. It's fucking ridiculous...
I position my finger half an inch below the ship. Besides one of Hibachi's attacks, bullets will never come from behind, so you're safe.
ave wrote:And how in the world do I activate the laser... you know, the one main thing that everyone thinks of when they hear "Dodonpachi"? I upgraded my shot and option shot 3 times each and no laser in sight.
Haha. Yeah, sure.
Next time you're gonna ask for stage 3 or something.
ave wrote:[...] and the stupid bathing suit is 150 coins. I'd have to play stage 1 13 times and watch 13 commercials in order to get a pointless bathing suit costume.
Actually, no.
The only "Pilots" you can buy with coins are regular Hikari and regular Maria. The "Day-off" suits, as well as regular Saya, cost 30 gems - pardon me, rubies - and the bathing suits and the other ships fifty.
30 of them cost 3 euros.

Does anyone know what the hell "Increase the range to seal common enemy's attack" means? Bullet cancel?

Not even the leaderboards work: it says I set a World Record for every single stage I played. Feels good, I guess.
You need change the high-score ranking from LOCAL to ALL TIME on the top right corner of screen. Just slide it from left to right then you will some hefty WR score rank
s.
Change laser via controls menu. Not quite found how to do during play. Wouldn't be surprised if you have to pay for it a level upgrade.
ave

Post by ave »

Put plenty of commuting hours into Bullet Hell Monday over the past week... did not regret it. That game wipes the floor with DDP:U - every single aspect that's bad about DDP is great in BHM. I'm now close to finishing it at 100% (only missing some of the tasks in the final chapter) and it's been a great run. Well worth it's money- oh wait, it was free! I totally forgot because there weren't any ads in it... :mrgreen:
THE ETERNAL
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

Mills wrote: Change laser via controls menu. Not quite found how to do during play. Wouldn't be surprised if you have to pay for it a level upgrade.

How do you access this controls menu for the laser? I'm not finding it.
Mills

Post by Mills »

My bad, meant to say change option shot as opposite to laser. Something I saw on version 1, but didn't get round to actually trying it out. But now I recently downloaded the upgrade, I cannot find what is was I changed. It was something on the right top corner opposite where you change your ship speed, change bomb control from single tap to double. Whatever it was its not there in the upgrade.
There is a YouTube link on a hack to play GOD mode without paying for it but I won't bother when Manic is hard enough.
Avgvstine

Post by Avgvstine »

I'm not sure if it's the case for DDPU, but Mushi Gold does award rubies for leveling up. I got one at level 6 and one at level 8. I've yet to beat the game on any difficulty, so I can't say how else you might get free rubies. Also: Maniac mode unlocks upon reaching Original's stage 3 boss, win or lose.
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

Spoiler
Best review.

Oh, "risposta di Mobirix" means "Mobirix's answer". Sorry for not being English.
QuanticDog

Post by QuanticDog »

AxelMill wrote:
Spoiler
Best review.

Oh, "risposta di Mobirix" means "Mobirix's answer". Sorry for not being English.

Clicking on spoiler, just to see my name and my review pop up, was a solid mindfuck :D
qmish

Post by qmish »

All these "level up" shit elements, hate it so much.

Other than that... Do you really can call it a "caravan ddp"?