Neko Navy

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
tate

Neko Navy

Post by tate »

A new doujin 4:3 hori Neko Navy has been added to Dlsite. Here's the PV. The vibe is whimsical (e.g., the day 3 boss) and focused movement is eschewed. But the smooth gameplay has bite to it; there are point-blanking bonuses, and moreover a rechargeable bomb that converts bullets into scoring items. The game was developed in Unity 5, so doesn’t appear to have a default resolution, allowing it to scale (somewhat blurrily) to fit any monitor.

Of note is that the demo Koneko Navy at the dev’s site provides access to all seven stages of the game on hard (middle) difficulty, albeit without any continues or training options. This is an interesting marketing approach, which I’ve not seen before. I suppose folks that get hooked by the mechanics on their way to clearing hard will want to play on death, while others will want access to easy or continues to see the entire game. The MP3 soundtrack is a nice bonus.
OmegaFlareX

Re: Neko Navy

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Adorable :3
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

How do you tell which is the all-rounder balanced, which is fast type, and which is heavy/slow?

:mrgreen:
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

I wonder if this is related to the old Neko Shot flash game that seems to have disappeared from the internet now?
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Please tell me there's an evil kitten overlord. :twisted:
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

After repeated failures I am hereby declaring stage 6 to be this game's purr-et wall. :P
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

This game is dope.

We did a quick casual run of the trial, and I'm definitely picking it up when it's formally released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHyzy0sab1w
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Never woulda guessed you'd dig this one, considering your avatar. ;) In any event, as someone else pointed out to me elsewhere on here the full game is available on DLSite English if you'd rather not wait for Steam.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

The circle around the character indicating what seems to be bomb charge gives me Wisp Lisp Array of List vibes... I wonder if it's developed by the same people.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

AFAIK, Wisp List Array of List was created by Alpha Secret Base (Kaiten Patisser, Ganbare Natsuki-san, etc.), and they don't seem to have any relation with Neko Navy.

That said, the circle graphic is very similar indeed.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Watching the video and, is that Dangun Feveron bouncing items? In a game with a playable cat? :D

Needs more meowing. (not really)

(edit) Grabbed the demo. Stage 4 boss is worth the trip, it's not every day I lose my lives from laughing too much.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
tate

Post by tate »

The game now has a Steam Coming Soon page. It's being published by Fruitbat Factory, with a 15% promotional discount from $10.99 to $9.34. No direct download, which is consistent with the recent Xmas Shooting - Scramble!! but not earlier titles like QP Shooting - Dangerous!!. The release will be version 1.51 according to the dev, which I hope the DLsite versions will be patched to. Most significantly for me, it looks like the screen filter has been disabled or made optional: Image
tate

Post by tate »

July 14th release on Steam. Also, here's a YouTube video of a clear on death difficulty.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I enjoy this sort of silliness a bit too much not to post a quick reminder about the Steam release, which I picked up (and actually sat still long enough to review) to support the publisher/developer - give this furry bugger a try if you haven't already. :)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I haven't analyzed the thing too closely, but any changes are pretty minor (I think I noticed a couple of added sound effects, that sort of thing); I imagine global leaderboards would be the biggest draw for the Steam version.
clippa

Post by clippa »

kane wrote:Is there any reason to buy the Steam version over DLsite?
Does the dlsite version have the 3 unlockable characters and the ura route in death mode? If yes then I don't think there's any difference bar the steam cloud support, achievements and leaderboards.

You can't run the steam version without the client running, I checked.

I love the game so much!
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

Does this game work under Windows XP? It doesn't say it does, but I was wondering if that was just because too few people use it as an operating system nowadays. I'd like to buy it, but I don't have anything more recent.
tate

Post by tate »

Version 1.51 has been uploaded to DLsite English. It's still filtering in full screen unless at 800x600, which just happens to be the resolution of the image above. Strangely, still only in Japanese.

Regarding XP compatibility, I couldn't get it to run on the box I have, but I'm sure its drivers could stand to be updated.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Headed to Switch with a bit of extra stuff.
guigui

Post by guigui »

On sale -25% on EU eshop now. Anyone has some feedback about this game ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

guigui wrote:On sale -25% on EU eshop now. Anyone has some feedback about this game ?
I love it, one my favourites on the system. It's just really fun and even relaxing shmup to play and I really wish more people would find this little gem.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Relaxing sounds nice. Is there some kind of challenge, interesting scoring system ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Yeah man, bombing is tied to the scoring, try the fattest cat to start, you point blank the baddies, scoop up all the little blue cats and that builds your bomb gauge (the little dotted line circle around your character) then you wait until the screen is full of baddies and bullets, and bomb and scoop up all the yellow things for a big score payout, rinse and repeat.

Excellent game. So much fun to play. You want to be trying to get enough blue cats on the screen before you bomb so you can instantly replenish your bomb gauge, this is so much fun in death mode, stuff is spilling out of enemies and you're bombing almost constantly.

There's a very generous demo of the pc version that lets you play through the entire game on the normal difficulty if you want to try before you buy - http://deathmofumofu.sakura.ne.jp/game/neko_navy/

Couple of characters to unlock including a fish with a sword that only does melee damage for the super hardcore players.

Very underrated game, one of my favourites.
The switch version added an endless mode, they're usually not very well balanced, but fun, I haven't heard anything about this one in particular, but it's the version to get because of that if you have a switch.
bobasaurus

Post by bobasaurus »

I play this on the Switch constantly, I really love it. The zany characters and environments are so fun, and the shooting is satisfying.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Alright you guys sold it, thanks.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The upgraded Switch version is getting a limited physical release (credit to the Shmups Twitter for the heads-up).