VR shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FlyingFinn

VR shmups

Post by FlyingFinn »

I have a PSVR and I am aware that fellow shmuppers don't necessarily look for latest gadgets but anyway I thought this might be an interesting thread.

I have hyper void VR of which content is the same as in ps3/ps4 versions, however I really enjoy VR mode. It makes playing this tempest style shmup much more immersive and enjoyable.

There are at least two other games for PSVR that could be called shmups: thumper VR which is rhythm-shmup and super stardust VR that is basically super stardust game but adds VR specific mode and VR view to original game modes. Since I don't have either, I cannot comment on their quality.

There is also battlezone VR already for PSVR that is a modern version of original arcade hit - and could also be considered as shmup.

Any other players enjoying VR shmups here?
tjg92

Re: VR shmups

Post by tjg92 »

I have a Vive and I've played normal shmups on a giant virtual screen before but that's about it.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Gunjack is fun.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Dunno ... being pedantic most are far more point-and-shoot, if not straight up fps/simulation.
Nothing new, but top of my list would be rez.

... this isn't to say that vr couldn't prove to be a bit of shmup haven - shortish/intense experiences with intuitive mechanics? ...but we've got a bit of a chicken and egg situation, with most companies [/investors] anxiously testing in the hope of developing the killer app.

If nothing else, it is nice to see the dev community get a bit of a shake up - I just hope vr has legs.
FlyingFinn

VR shmups

Post by FlyingFinn »

Funny that I forgot Rez! But whatever reason, it never clicked on me either on Dreamcast or ps2 so I am reluctant to try third time.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Thumper isn't a shmup, but it's a pretty good game.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

"The Lab" for the Vive has a minigame in it called Xortex, which is sort of a vaguely shmup-ish thing where your ship is attached to your hand and you need to dodge through bullet patterns in 3D while you shoot stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySExobKm05A
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I bought the PS4 port of Rez Infinity and it's definitely playable without the PSVR headset (it's akin to playing it on the PS2 with 60fps interlaced presentation, 360 or even the venerable Dreamcast with it's 30fps overall presentation -- it's quite stunning/jaw-dropping when played on a SVGA old-school CRT monitor with an optional DC VGA Box). However, on the PS4, Rez is runnning at 60fps in 1080 progressive format and is super silky-smooth. Sure, I have all the various ports of Rez released on the DC, PS2 & 360 consoles over the years -- it never gets old/boring & still remains fresh/unique as the day it premired.

Rez Infinity's vibrational effects on a Dual Shock 4 controller replicates that of playing Rez on the PS2 with a Dual Shock 2 controller in terms of vibrational effects -- it remains the same as usual in terms of haptic controller feedback for that old-school unmistakable Rez feel/vibe going on.

Sure, it'll set you back a mere $29.99 USD through the Playstation Store as a digital PS4 game d/l (plus the usual latest update patch to d/l as well) but that is a small price to pay for the latest version of Rez. It does feature an extra level (Inifinity level) if you do complete level 5 (the earlier console ports of Rez stop at level 5 anyways).

There are plenty of user adjustable options if using the PSVR headset with Rez Infinity, making for a truly heady experience. The PS3 port of Child of Eden (sequel to Rez) has 3D HDTV support whereas with the 360 port of the same name, it doesn't have 3D HDTV support whatsoever.

If you have the optional PS2 Trance vibrator accessory that came with the deluxe PS2 Rez bundled deal sold in Japan, you can use it on the PS4 port of Rez indeed (as the Trance vibrator can be turned on or off from within the Rez Inifinity sub-menu selection -- just plug it into an available free USB port on the PS4 & you're good to go).

As it stands, this is the fourth iteration of Rez to appear on a gaming console and with the upgraded VR treatment/gloss, it delivers in spades.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Most definitely enjoying PSVR so far. It's better than I imagined. :)
Sure resolution is not as high as we have on full HD tv's, but it REALLY sucks you in!
So far not played any shmup on it, but Thumper is Amazing on it and much more fun than played without the VR goggles.
Rush of blood is really good but only if you use the move controllers.
REZ however is the gamechanger here. It is THE reason everyone should get this.
It's an experience no religion can match! :D
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
d0s

Post by d0s »

xortex is literally that "forget about her, go for the 2-all" meme made into a game
Jelloman581

Post by Jelloman581 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Sure, it'll set you back a mere $29.99 USD through the Playstation Store as a digital PS4 game d/l (plus the usual latest update patch to d/l as well) but that is a small price to pay for the latest version of Rez. It does feature an extra level (Inifinity level) if you do complete level 5 (the earlier console ports of Rez stop at level 5 anyways)
For those interested in a physical version, iam8bit is selling a physical version for $39.99, should be shipping next month: http://store.iam8bit.com/collections/re ... ysicalgame. They are also selling t-shirts and a vinyl soundtrack.

On another Rez note, I recently upgraded to the PS4 Pro, and Rez gets even sharper in VR. Area X looks phenomenal in Pro VR and is much clearer with all the particle effects going on. Don't have a 4K TV to see how non-VR looks, but it does support 4K out of the Pro as well.

I bought an X360 for Rez HD (and Ace Combat 5). When PSVR was announced, I was eh, we'll see. Then they announced Rez Infinite for VR. Sold.
lepo76

Post by lepo76 »

Rez on psvr is great and area x is just fenomenal
Thumper although not a shmups , kind of feels like one at times and it's highly addictive
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Hyper void in VR is amazing
FlyingFinn

Post by FlyingFinn »

There has been several new shmups released vor VR
- 1976 Back to Midway

And from Jeff Minter:
- Polybius
- Moose life