Steel Empire on Steam Greenlight

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Magma Dragoon

Re: Steel Empire on Steam Greenlight

Post by Magma Dragoon »

FunktionJCB wrote:
quarxpl wrote:Continuing the round of questions for the genre fans - how do you usually buy shmups? Is it indeed Steam, or other stores as well? Which one is preferred by you?
Most of my releases are from Steam. The rest are mostly bought from the Humble store.

On a side note, don't even bother with GOG, because apparently, they don't think the shmup genre is worthy of their store, and constantly deny release to genre titles. Publishers like Degica attempted to bring their titles to the store, and have been constantly denied.
Considering they have titles like the Raiden series and Astebreed, I'd say this game has a much better chance at being accepted.
Image Image Image Image
quarxpl

Post by quarxpl »

Hi Y'all!

Just a quick follow-up. Steel Empire is now officially greenlit!

Thank you so much for all your help.

I will keep you updated about the game's progress on its way to Steam.

Also, all your shmup suggestions are going to be reviewed.

Once again - Thanks!
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Coolness!

If you need any help with play testing, feel free to give me a shout. I've played SE so many times, it's almost silly :lol:
Deadliar

Post by Deadliar »

On topic of remakes, Thunder force 3/4 are noted for being flagship gen/md shmups.

While the nerd in me wants to point out something more obscure, and a thought of a Zero Wing remake has me in tears (of joy), I think that TF would be a good choice for many reasons.
Spoiler
If it ever gets steam'd i bet the soundtrack will have more downloads than the actual game
Play for fun and win when you can.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sega currently has the rights to the TF series. I hope that 3DS collection with TF3 gets a US release. Stupid region lock!
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Sorry to necropost, but thought this'd be the appropriate place. Looks like the Windows version of Steel Empire is getting a physical DVD release in Japan, with a release date of June 29th. It's at the 1983 shop for Y3218, and at Amazon.co.jp for Y2627.

The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Well, the physical copy is out in Japan, but still not a single update about the game on Steam. Is this thing still happening, or was it cancelled?
nickisurf

Post by nickisurf »

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that after months of work Steel Empire is coming to Steam next week, September 13th! :)
Many of you helped to greenlit it, so I thought this would be interesting for you. Here's the game page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/563260/Steel_Empire

Thank you for your support!

P.S. I work for the publisher, so if you have any questions, let me know :)
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

FINALLY! It's been what, nearly two years since the game was greenlit? Feels like an eternity :lol:

My main question is simply, how much is the game?
nickisurf

Post by nickisurf »

The standard pricing is $14.99 but for the first week, there will be a 33% discount :)
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Oooooo... $9.99? I can dig that. Can't wait!
Austin

Post by Austin »

Looks good! I'll try to snap it up when it's available. Enjoyed the original on the Genesis.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Anyone played this yet? I'm curious as to how it feels. I have the Genesis version, and watching the trailer on Steam, it looks like this is just a conversion of the Genesis game with some additional bells, whistles, and effects. Is there anything substantially different, outside of aesthetics that make this Steam release worth buying?
Austin

Post by Austin »

FRO wrote:Anyone played this yet? I'm curious as to how it feels. I have the Genesis version, and watching the trailer on Steam, it looks like this is just a conversion of the Genesis game with some additional bells, whistles, and effects. Is there anything substantially different, outside of aesthetics that make this Steam release worth buying?
As of this writing, it's not available yet (Steam says it will unlock 8 hours from now).

I noticed very much the same in regards to the visuals, but it does seem to me like it will probably feel better to play. Everything seems to move more fluidly and the rate of fire is constant, whereas in the Genesis version it's staggered depending on how powered up you are and how many shots you already have on the screen. Depending on the liberties taken (it seems pretty faithful so far), I'm thinking this will end up being the ideal version to play.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

This version has been out on 3DS for 4 years, there's some impressions in the thread from back then.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47056

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/steel-empire-3ds
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Well, the game itself isn't too bad of a port, but there are some issues with the game. The game doesn't always close when you exit, some sound effects don't play sometimes (like the train intro), typos regularly crop up, oddly worded sentences are present, and dear God is that projector sound effect WAY too loud in the opening movie. It actually hurts my ears :shock:
Pedro Lambrini

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
I don't suppose you could compare it to the GBA version? It's the only one I have for now. :)
It's Dangerous! It's Devious! It's...
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Just got it & 1CCed it on normal. It's great. Some nice touches to the graphics include a few lighting effects (especially when your shots are hitting a destructible part of a boss), the enhanced color palette, & nicer explosions- especially on the bosses. The graphics remind me of a good X68000 or 32-bit game.

Unfortunately, it did crash on me after the high score initial entry.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Game itself is good, my main knock with the Steam version is the fact that there's absolutely no graphics/resolution settings in the game, you either get 1080p full screen or can alt+enter to make it windowed.

Other than that, not much else I can think of to improve whats there