BATTLE GAREGGA REV.2016 (M2)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Flashman

Re: BATTLE GAREGGA REV.2016 (M2)

Post by Flashman »

Gamer707b wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:Im gonna chime in since you guys hit a nerve. I've amassed roughly around 350 games and around 16-18 systems. That is not a lot compared to others on youtube, but for the more "normal " person it is. Point is, I find myself hardly playing the vast majority of these games. They sit there literally collecting dust. Probably aroung 5 or 6 years ago , I went through some hardcore retro collecting. I kinda regret it, because these days I mainly play the Nintendo and old Sega stuff. Most of my PS2, PS3 and even my PS4 stuff gets ignored. Save for a few games like the Battle Garegga Limited Run Version I picked up today. Which BTW, Im going to be playing the shit out of. Maybe Im getting older, but I feel more minimalistic now a days . I only buy the games I TRULY and REALLY want to play. Maybe about 5 or so games all year. I skip most of the triple A stuff.Just had to throw my 2 cents.
Yeah I must admit I'm the same, I've got loads of flash carts (gave up collecting original games for retro stuff a while ago, save for a couple of select systems) and 1000'S of new games to try across a bunch of systems. Yet I find myself just going back to old favourites I've beaten and mastered, over and over. I have found a few new favourites by booting them up and forcing myself to play, but 9 times out of 10 I decide I don't like it in 5 minutes and give up. Really need to preserver and try something new, 'cos I know I'm missing out on a bunch of great games.

Finally found a reasonably priced physical of Garegga on eBay, which didn't need importing so snapped it up, looking forward to that coming, it will get played a lot :D
Congrats on the purchace. Ive been wanting Garegga for ages but I was too frugal to pay for the Saturn version. Finally got me the PS4 version. Which one did you get?
The older Korean rev 2016 PS4 version - would have preferred a limited run copy but I'd need to pay tax on it to get it over here, which would make it expensive. it arrived last Thursday, I'm currently devoting all my time to finishing another game, but had a 10 minute go on it, I can tell its going to be awesome though very tough, going to need to look up the scoring rules and how to manipulate the ranking which I hear is a necessity, it'll be the next project anyway :D
pedroTFP

Post by pedroTFP »

How is the YOKOTATE situation for this game?
Does it keep pixel count\ratio of the TATE screen?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Seems excellent, pixels are razor-sharp and all dimensions look proper. I've not messed about with the various configurations much, but I didn't feel much need to - looked great straight out of the box. (on PS4 here)
heli

Post by heli »

pedroTFP wrote:How is the YOKOTATE situation for this game?
Does it keep pixel count\ratio of the TATE screen?
You can do 90 or 270 degrees.
You can set to 1 pixel without stretching.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Just picked up the Korean version at a local store, seems like $45 was a steal given what it goes for online...

The 2016 OST is hot fire.

Is there a translation of the Korean menus still up anywhere? The pics in this thread are busted...
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

cj iwakura wrote:Just picked up the Korean version at a local store, seems like $45 was a steal given what it goes for online...

Is there a translation of the Korean menus still up anywhere? The pics in this thread are busted...
Hi, i use these menus from the m2 website, the layout seems to be the same in each edition. https://m2stg.com/en/battle-garegga/ps4 ... 5.php#sec2

This thread on the strategy has a detailed breakdown of the menus from the Japanese version, but it works the same for the Korean version too. viewtopic.php?t=58944
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

cj iwakura wrote:Just picked up the Korean version at a local store, seems like $45 was a steal given what it goes for online...

Not sure I understand what you mean about price. It's still readily available and quite cheap. https://www.play-asia.com/battle-garegg ... /13/70bsdd
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Jonpachi wrote:

Not sure I understand what you mean about price. It's still readily available and quite cheap. https://www.play-asia.com/battle-garegg ... /13/70bsdd
Was going off of Ebay pricing.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
heli

Post by heli »

The english version is worth the extra 15 dollar in ebay if they are still for sale there.
Those menus are great in garegga, i think its the best game.

Ketsui is less worse in japanese, not so complex menus.
I would buy ketsui in english again just for those menus.
After update the ketsui menu-translation i have is not correct anymore.
RobHimself

Post by RobHimself »

Sorry to necro such an old thread but I was trying to find more details on what the "Premium" mode is in the game.

A question for you guys. Which mode do you prefer? The Arcade or Premium? Is one better than the other? More difficult? Etc.
heli

Post by heli »

Premium is a very good mode.
Only it is the hardest mode if you wanto score.
100% difficulty if you play good.
Try beat me.
heli

Post by heli »

So it is easyer with smaller hitbox and autobomb if you have fire pressed.
When you beat the boss without using autobomb and destroy all parts then it goes 100%
Your score keeps ticking in 100% mode, dieing is no problem, autobomb is.
Yes it is the most fun mode, only the 100% makes it impossible for me to play against the top 100.
I had luck to get top 1000 ( cant access those scores in a browser to take a look ).

If i play arcade mode now, i seriously feel the bigger hitbox and die faster, so it is bad practice for arcade mode.
And the most fun in this mode is the fixed rank,
so you are allowed to shoot in this mode,
no taking out those first 17 planes with precision any more.
battleman

Post by battleman »

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but what is the correct setup to emulate Battle Garegga? I have it for ps4 but I wanna play on my laptop too, but there's something wrong with my mame setup. I can't pick the maho secret ships, and the level 3 mid stage boss drops a big weapon item instead of an extra life. Some guide online suggests that I need both the asia and world roms separately, but the file I have says it's all regions. Any help is appreciated.
jpd66

Post by jpd66 »

Hey guys, I've been playing shmups for a few years now, and I've yet to play Battle Garegga. But I really want to! :mrgreen: I'm trying to figure out the best way to play this game and it seems like this M2 Shottriggers version is it. My problem is that I currently only have a Switch; no PS4/5 and no good gaming PC(if I wanted to emulate). Anyway, I'm considering tracking down a PS4 so that I can play Shottriggers Garegga, and maybe even enjoy some of the other M2 stuff that isn't on Switch.

A couple of questions:

Are there any differences between the content that is included with the digital version vs. the physical version? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the digital version did not include the Rev.2016 Perfect Edition soundtrack. Is this the case? I'm not a collector and just want to play this game with the best version I can get for a reasonable price. After looking, it seems that there are 2 decent options. I'm in the US, and I see a localized digital version on the Playstation store for $34.99. I also see a Korean physical version on Play Asia for $49.99. Any recommendations on which one to go with? Is it true that not all of the 4 soundtracks are available with the localized US digital version? And while I'm at it, any content differences with the other PS4-exclusive Shottriggers releases between physical and digital?

Also, I may be interested in future Shottriggers releases or other good future shmup releases. Should I consider getting a PS5 instead of a PS4 to be better set up for what the future may bring? Or is the PS4 good enough? Ideas about PS4 versions with regard to enjoying these games the best you can?

Anyway, that is a little long-winded. Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob! :mrgreen:
mrsmr2

Post by mrsmr2 »

From what I've gathered, doing similar research:

I'm not aware of any differences between the physical and digital Garegga. I have the US digital version and it includes the 4 soundtracks.

Ketsui is different (also an awesome game). The digital version has 2 separate dlcs to purchase - an extra mode and an extra soundtrack. The physical includes both of these dlcs. Also, the physical is in Japanese so you might need a guide for some of the settings.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

If you're looking to collect M2 ShotTriggeRs games, the PS4 is your best bet.

Any of their releases on Switch are also on PS4, and will be slightly superior there too with 1 or 2 frames less lag just due to the superior hardware. PS4 has a few exclusives too, like the aforementioned Ketsui, Dangun Feveron, and Sorcer Striker (If you're on a Raizing kick, Sorcer Striker is a must-play).

Switch has a great collection of shmups all its own, so that library is worth exploring, but PS4 will provide you with the best possible console shmup experience.
jpd66

Post by jpd66 »

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it!
Jonpachi wrote: (If you're on a Raizing kick, Sorcer Striker is a must-play).
Sorcer Striker is only available digitally on the Japanese PSN store, right? If one was interested in getting it that way, is it very difficult to set up a Japanese PlayStation account? I seem to remember people saying that it was a little more trouble than doing the same thing on the Switch. But I watched a video on how to do it and it didn’t look that crazy. I actually set up a Japanese account on my Switch to download Esprade, Hishou Same Same Same, and maybe a few others, and it wasn’t that tough.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Yep, just as easy on PlayStation.
jpd66

Post by jpd66 »

Jonpachi wrote:Yep, just as easy on PlayStation.
Gotcha, thanks again.