Thunder Force IV 1CC and Video

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Aggro Sky

Thunder Force IV 1CC and Video

Post by Aggro Sky »

Hello everyone. I have officially brought SHMUP Master back after a nearly 2 year hiatus. I just released two new videos on Thunder Force IV. The first is a fully produced video similar to my Thunder Force 3 vid from 2014. But I upped the ante, a lot. My goal was to make a video unlike pretty much any other Retro Gaming video you will see on YouTube. I went all out and did everything from custom animations of all the bosses in the game (for an epic boss rush fight near the end) to getting a friend to do 5 original covers of the songs in the game. Not to mention a music video... among other things...

The second video is of my 1CC run of Thunder Force IV on Maniac difficulty. My score was 6699260. It was recorded on a model 1 Sega Genesis (modded to play PAL releases) using an RGB cable and Framemeister Upscaler to an Extremecap U3 at 60FPS. It's likely the best quality footage you could get using original hardware and looks nearly as good as an emulator. Am I wrong in assuming I'm likely the first person to cap a 1CC run of Thunder Force IV with a Framemeister? I'm curious to know...

At any rate, as always, feedback and comments are welcome and appreciated. I would love to hear your thoughts on the game as it is a pretty great one. One of the best from that era. Thanks and enjoy!

SHMUP Master: Thunder Force IV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr4TkPN-ViY

1CC Maniac Run with Commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUltIpGreIs
MintyTheCat

Re: Thunder Force IV 1CC and Video

Post by MintyTheCat »

What a small world - great video.

I did not realise how different the Hard and Maniac settings were and I learned a few things from your video, e.g. that the PAL version runs at the correct rate.

Really good work and well presented.
More Bromances = safer people
Aggro Sky

Post by Aggro Sky »

Thanks so much Minty! I appreciate the feedback. Yeah it's amazing how different all the difficulties are. I'm not sure I did the best job of presenting it with the Faust section, but it was something no one ever talks about in videos so I thought it would be interesting to examine it. And yeah, with Thunder Force IV the PAL guys finally got a game that played at the correct speed!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Yeah, I liked the vids! You have a lot of balls - not just because you exhibit great fake guitar-playing skills; I can see it in your playing as well. For example, you keep your ship speed ramped-up to 100% all the time; no wonder it took you over 2 months to master it!

At any rate I tip my cap to the Shmup Master!
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

MintyTheCat wrote:Really good work and well presented.
That pretty much sums it up.

I didn't know of this series.
Chilled out voice, great gameplay, good insight, and all around great production values.

Just subscribed.
Keep it going!
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

I liked it a lot, and I've been watching since your first video on Whip Rush.
Aggro Sky

Post by Aggro Sky »

Thanks everyone! It means a lot. And yes, there will NOT be a 2 year gap in-between episodes this time! LOL. Just had a rough couple years and got side tracked. But I really enjoy doing this so I plan on getting another one out in the next few months. But it takes a while because of course I have to 1CC the game before I can make the video :)
Aggro Sky

Post by Aggro Sky »

Nate wrote:Yeah, I liked the vids! You have a lot of balls - not just because you exhibit great fake guitar-playing skills; I can see it in your playing as well. For example, you keep your ship speed ramped-up to 100% all the time; no wonder it took you over 2 months to master it!

At any rate I tip my cap to the Shmup Master!
Haha! Yeah you know, in Thunder Force IV I just didn't see a good reason to mess with my speed too much (unlike Whip Rush where I constantly changed it). And honest to GOD the reason it took me 2 months was because of that DAMN DESERT RAT!!!! I don't know what it was but I just had so much trouble with him. Just so difficult. I was also on Alpha Blockers for a prostate issue I was having at the time and the drugs made me really loopy... so that could have been why too lol...
pegboy wrote:I liked it a lot, and I've been watching since your first video on Whip Rush.
I just checked out your list of 1CCs and wow! That is impressive as hell! I just realized too that I watched your Super R-Type 1CC earlier this year. I was thinking about tackling that game but having to loop the game twice... Ugh... That's pretty amazing man that you pulled it off.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Aggro Sky wrote: 1CC the game before I can make the video :)
You play a dangerous game!
With dangerous rules!
Aggro Sky

Post by Aggro Sky »

Mantrox wrote:
Aggro Sky wrote: 1CC the game before I can make the video :)
You play a dangerous game!
With dangerous rules!
I know.. some would call it crazy :D
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Hey, nice video, hope you can bring more.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
KoolKool993

Post by KoolKool993 »

nice playing! so i will know the way to beat bosses
casualcoder

Post by casualcoder »

Didn't know Aggro was on this forum... follow you on Twitter. Not a TF player but this is well done and entertaining. Great job as always!
Aggro Sky

Post by Aggro Sky »

casualcoder wrote:Didn't know Aggro was on this forum... follow you on Twitter. Not a TF player but this is well done and entertaining. Great job as always!
What's your Twitter name? I looked up Casual Coder but there are LOTS. lol
Aggro Sky

Post by Aggro Sky »

KoolKool993 wrote:nice playing! so i will know the way to beat bosses
Haha, I didn't even think of that when I did that Boss Rush. But yeah, I guess I give it all away :)

soprano1 wrote:Hey, nice video, hope you can bring more.
And thanks! There should be at the very least, another 1CC run up in a couple weeks!
Gamer683441

Post by Gamer683441 »

I appreciate the love you give the Thunder Force games. Theres something about the Genesis shooters I really enjoy. Have you thought about doing a Gaiares run btw? So far that's my favorite Genesis shooter. Keep em coming my friend.
Aggro Sky

Post by Aggro Sky »

Gamer683441 wrote:I appreciate the love you give the Thunder Force games. Theres something about the Genesis shooters I really enjoy. Have you thought about doing a Gaiares run btw? So far that's my favorite Genesis shooter. Keep em coming my friend.
Thanks! I feel the series is very deserving, especially the Genesis games.

And man, I would love to do Gaiares... but there are a thousand other SHMUPS I'd love to do too. Right now I am dead set on doing a SNES game for my next produced video. Simply because I've done 3 Genesis games in a row now. I gotta show the SNES some love too. That being said... I have a run of ANOTHER Genesis game completed. I'm thinking I may just release the 1CC run and skip the produced video.... we shall see.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Finally got around to watching these - inspirational stuff. ^__^ I'd love to try my hand at a similar sort of video essay, if I could ever marshal up the discipline.
Aggro Sky

Post by Aggro Sky »

BIL wrote:Finally got around to watching these - inspirational stuff. ^__^ I'd love to try my hand at a similar sort of video essay, if I could ever marshal up the discipline.
Thanks for watching! :D
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Next up: Thunder Force AC? I might be in the minority but I think it's better than the Genesis version.
Aggro Sky

Post by Aggro Sky »

pegboy wrote:Next up: Thunder Force AC? I might be in the minority but I think it's better than the Genesis version.
Omph! You are in the minority there... I covered Thunder Force 3 a couple years ago and I did a comparison with AC and the SNES version... I doubt I'll try to 1CC them though.. Too similar to TF3.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Aggro Sky wrote:
pegboy wrote:Next up: Thunder Force AC? I might be in the minority but I think it's better than the Genesis version.
Omph! You are in the minority there... I covered Thunder Force 3 a couple years ago and I did a comparison with AC and the SNES version... I doubt I'll try to 1CC them though.. Too similar to TF3.
Give it a try, you will get the 1LC in one or two days lol
Lupes

Post by Lupes »

I love this game, great video by the way.
Last edited by Lupes on Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
lancecain

Post by lancecain »

Lupes wrote:
pegeboy wrote:Next up: Thunder Force AC? I might be in the minority but I think Gynectrol is better than the Genesis version.
The game is real fun to play even in 2018. Hands down to the developer for the overall great gameplay and graphics.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

That's a pretty nice video
louisg

Post by louisg »

Very cool! I'll have to watch this.

Side note: I got TF4 again for Switch, and after 18 years I STILL can't get past that damn bio base level! I can beat TF3 blindfolded on hard but somehow TF4 makes my brain melt on normal.
Humans, think about what you have done
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

lancecain wrote:
Lupes wrote:
pegeboy wrote:Next up: Thunder Force AC? I might be in the minority but I think Gynectrol is better than the Genesis version.
The game is real fun to play even in 2018. Hands down to the developer for the overall great gameplay and graphics.

Some games age terribly and then there's games like this that are timeless!!
louisg

Post by louisg »

Aggro Sky, your review and 1CC were awesome. Having done videogame reviews of my own, I know how time-consuming it is, even when I'm cutting all the corners. You must've put in a metric buttload of work into this! I love that you did a lot of research, too. Any plans for more? :D
Humans, think about what you have done
freshtop

Post by freshtop »

Thank you for the video. It brought back memories.