Blue Wish Desire

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
mamboFoxtrot

Blue Wish Desire

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Not sure if this goes here or in the Dev thread since it's far from finished, but apparently X.X Game Room is working on a new game.

http://xxgameroom.blog102.fc2.com/blog-entry-2.html

There's a single-stage demo. I played it and it pretty much feels like more BWR, which is fine by me, though I couldn't figure out what the new "Special" button does. I guess it's not an implemented feature yet?
Also, not entirely sure why, but the game window title and exe file refer to it as "Eden's Eclipse" instead.
rancor

Re: Blue Wish Desire

Post by rancor »

Any way to full-screen?
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

BGM doesn't turn off, the program still runs after closing so I have to go to task manager to kill it and I can't get full screen either but it definitely feels like BWR. Scoring is pretty straight forward, replaying it a handful of times I was able to double my initial score to 41,22,518.
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Awesome, I think I saw @shmups tweet about this earlier but the link wasn't working for me by the time I got around to it. Between this and the Graze Counter demo I've got plenty to try out this weekend.

I was under the impression that the Development subforum was intended for developers to post their own games, so Shmups Chat seems right for this thread.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:Also, not entirely sure why, but the game window title and exe file refer to it as "Eden's Eclipse" instead.
A while ago, I remember hearing about him working on a sequel to Eden's Aegis of that same name. Can't find the post about it, for some reason. Maybe he reworked/reskinned it?

Edit: Just played it. No fullscreen option, and no ability to raise the music volume. There's just an on-off switch. Gameplay-wise, it seems pretty cool so far; though I found a bug where the midboss' unhittable backside lingers after its death.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I quite enjoy BWR, though I'm not a big danmaku guy, so this is of interest.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Just had a quick shot on this, runs sillyfast at high refresh rates, I had to force 60hz, as others have there's no full screen (at least yet) and the "special" button doesn't seem to do anything special, or anything at all for that matter.

Really good fun though, will keep an eye out for this.
Don't think I've played blue wish resurrection. I probably have but just forgot the name, I'll go and have a sniff about.
Aleksei wrote:the program still runs after closing so I have to go to task manager to kill it
Yup, just found that out myself when I went to delete the folder.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that version 0.2 came out earlier this week. It adds an extra playable ship, your typical strong forward shot and laser deal, named "Blue Twinkle" of all things. :lol:
The chests also have a small amount of health to shoot through before opening now (they also have HP bars).
Nothing else seems changed, though I guess it's possible the lingering mid-boss part glitch was fixed, but I don't know what triggers it anyways, so...
Lord Satori wrote:A while ago, I remember hearing about him working on a sequel to Eden's Aegis of that same name. Can't find the post about it, for some reason. Maybe he reworked/reskinned it?
It would explain the non-functioning Special button.
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

Lord Satori wrote:
mamboFoxtrot wrote:Also, not entirely sure why, but the game window title and exe file refer to it as "Eden's Eclipse" instead.
A while ago, I remember hearing about him working on a sequel to Eden's Aegis of that same name. Can't find the post about it, for some reason. Maybe he reworked/reskinned it?
It seems like he accidentally nuked his diary. You can find screenshots of Eden's Eclipse here:

http://web.archive.org/web/201412272117 ... 2.fc2.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/201412132058 ... age-1.html

NSFW, just in case.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Hm, seems his Blog and Twitter are both dead :(
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

He talked about wiping his blog and doing everything through Twitter a while back, but he wiped his Twitter soon afterward. Really concerned about him, hope he's okay.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Yeah, I tried to see if there was any post like that through WayBack Machine but there wasn't enough archived. Thanks for the info, then.
That is pretty troubling... hopefully its just simple burnout or something, and not anything too dire.
blossom

Post by blossom »

There's been some recent activity for this game - version 0.30 was released back sometime in June (seems like he deleted the tweet) and version 0.31 was released today. Version 0.31 adds stage select and also appears to fix that graphical bug with the stage 1 miniboss. While not a groundbreaking update, it's progress.

The current version is two stages long. Either I'm complete trash (highly likely) or he's got balls for making stage 2 as hard as it is for original mode. Although I suspect part of that is due to an unfinished bomb system. Something about it feels ... off. As currently implemented, you press bomb and then you have a timed meter under your ship. Until that meter depletes, you cancel bullets for points/survival - although not every bullet is cancelled, I'm not entirely sure yet if this is intended behavior, almost seems like you need to point blank to cancel, which would fall in line with the theme of BWR's scoring. I feel like the bombs should work closer to something like Kaikan where it's something you need to recharge through collecting medals or something, because only one extra bomb per stage feels like you won't be using the game's main feature all that much.

But these are early days, who knows what the final version will look like. All I know is I'm excited, seems to have potential to be better than Eden's Aegis.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

What the FUCK, when did this happen. Holy shit. Thank you for finding this. The dream is still fucking ALIVE, oh my God.

Apparently everything went to shit when x.x's main HDD died, but he actually did backups! HDD failure sure seems to happen a lot in doujin land. That's what got eXceed4th killed. Yeah, that was a thing at one point.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Welcome to Software Development 101. Rule #1: there's no such thing as "enough backups".

As for the demo... it hangs my machine. Guess I'm sitting out until it has a functional config.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

:shock: x.x lives!
although I'm kinda confused now since this Twitter account goes back quite a long ways. Was I checking the wrong account before?
blossom

Post by blossom »

He tweeted a couple days ago (and I'm using Google Translate because I don't know any Japanese) that he's experimenting with the idea of turning hypers into a gauge instead of a bomb. I'd be down for that. I like that he's keeping an open mind, will be interesting to see how the mechanic is implemented in the final version.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Version 0.40 has been released.
Changes include a rechargeable hyper (not sure yet if there's a way to charge it more quickly), a circular gauge to indicate how much of that hyper is remaining, multi-colored bullets which I think is new for an x.x game, and a stage results screen.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

So looking forward to a new x.x STG. I know it'll be a long wait, but don't really want to spoil the experience with beta/demo versions.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
Free indie/doujin STGs: Download | List (incomplete)
Prales

Post by Prales »

Last edited by Prales on Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Version 0.50 has been released.
Change log: stage 3 has been added, as well as "minor fixes."

I don't play these demos too closely after the initial release, so this might be completely false, however I get the feeling beefier enemies have been given more health. If that's true, it's a great incentive to use hypers. Love when survival and scoring are tied together like that. Although, I'm still not sure how to accumulate hypers... if it's simply damage-over-time or if there's some way to obtain them faster. I'm hoping it's related to collecting the chips at proximity which would again tie survival and scoring into a knot. Also, unless the results screen simply isn't finished, I think this game will be similar to Eden's Aegis and not punish bomb usage. Routing could be incredibly fun, finding the most opportune moments to hyper or bomb for the big juicy cancels.

I wish this guy had a proper artist and sold his games commercially. Potential to be one of the best shmups of the decade.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I think the hyper building is based on the number of hits - most obvious with Twinkle where the laser fills the meter far slower than its shot does (and the laser seems to do marginally less damage). Proximity doesn't have anything to do with it currently.

Other things:
- Box item value scales with distance like regular items do. I guess it means choosing between one or the other unless you route well. Also boxes can spawn under moving enemies such as big tanks.
- You get refilled to 3 bombs every stage. Might be a step too far; maybe it'll change or some other bomb-related mechanic will be added. Or maybe x.x is going to use it as an excuse to ramp the difficulty up a lot more which I'm fine with.
- There are small enemies with ESP Ra.De style mini bullet cancels on death. That was a thing in BWR, but AFAIK only on medium enemies/boss parts, whereas these ones seem to exist specifically to get cancels off other enemies.
Edit: Actually this is due to the hyper as mentioned above. Killing enemies with hyper active = blue explosion = mini bullet cancel.
- The pattern design is more varied than his previous games and so far it's more bait-and-macro into pointblank than DDP zako streaming.
blossom

Post by blossom »

OK yeah, that's probably accurate about hypers. I'd imagine if Blue Peace is added to the 1.0 release, its low damage combined with high number of ticks will increase hypers the fastest and again be king just as it was in BWR.

So far, my only concern with the game is there doesn't seem to be any penalty to using hypers. Yeah, if you take a hit you'll lose the hyper and I think also use up a bomb, but I guess DOJ has conditioned me to believe hypers should have some kind of risk/reward system. Although even if there won't be a tangible penalty, the loss of score by getting hit is enough for me. Never been too much of a masochist, and either way, this is still beta.

If it's true that bombs refill after each stage - I'll have to replay again today and see, actually I'm somewhat tempted to grind out stage 1 just to see what I can do right now - I have to wonder if it's worth using up the 4 bombs (counting the midboss bomb drop) given to you on each stage, or maybe despite the option for abundant bombs, it's closer to Eden's Aegis where you want to use them to cash out on the late game?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I tried the demo, it's good. There were some graphical bugs in the first stage, not sure how to describe them though. That's all I got!
blossom

Post by blossom »

I'm kinda getting the idea that the rhythm of the game is like... while you don't have a hyper, do the BWR thing by killing enemies at point-blank for the proximity chips, then when you do have hyper, treat scoring a bit more like ESP Ra.De. or something by holding your fire so the best possible clump of bullets to cancel will be on top of an enemy when you kill it. Also, this is probably common sense, but using a hyper on a boss's last phase is probably a bad idea - save it until the beginning of the next stage?

Although if hypers are given based on tick damage, wouldn't proximity chips give you hypers more slowly, and maybe you'd not want to do chips on all enemies outside of hyper? Kinda hurting my head, can't believe I'm actually trying to play a demo for score.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

blossom wrote:I'm kinda getting the idea that the rhythm of the game is like... while you don't have a hyper, do the BWR thing by killing enemies at point-blank for the proximity chips, then when you do have hyper, treat scoring a bit more like ESP Ra.De. or something by holding your fire so the best possible clump of bullets to cancel will be on top of an enemy when you kill it.
Yes this is definitely the right way to do things. I was able to go from ~15m on stage 1 to >20m in half a dozen attempts by playing like that, and I'm pretty bad at these games. Not that scoring is a reliable metric right now because, hilariously, your score is subtracted from your stage end bonus (so my stage 1 should be ~25.5m, and full-game runs are completely ruined).

I doubt hoarding bombs is a good idea especially if you're only getting one per stage. That's gaining 5 but losing 12. It'd take some exponential factor to make not using them more profitable in the long run, and this game doesn't have one (yet). Plus the chip decay is really slow considering how high the numbers are, so it's even better than normal to wait for the boss to do what you want.

Anyway undoubtedly all of this is gonna change but it's a fun exercise nonetheless.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I think x.x games look perfectly good! But yes I wish the dev would release them on consoles. Would definitely buy a Blue Wish and Edens Aegis pack.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

According to the Shmups Twitter version 0.60 is now out.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Great! I'll have to check it out, I love all the series.
heli

Post by heli »

What is a BWR ?