Graze Counter [Steam]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
hamfighterx

Re: Graze Counter [Steam]

Post by hamfighterx »

Graze Counter GM officially confirmed for January 18, 2023 release on Switch, PS4, PS4, Xbox Series and Xbox One, and Steam: https://www.gematsu.com/2022/11/graze-c ... ry-18-2023

Appears to be a worldwide release date, since it is showing up as 1/18 release on the US Steam, Playstation, and Xbox stores. Japan Nintendo eShop shows it too, but the US one doesn't have it yet.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

What's the difference between the original and GM?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Well, I'm no expert on the game and I don't know anything more than the just revealed info about GM, but comparing the Steam descriptions for the original and GM versions seems to highlight some key differences.

Original Graze Counter:
5 stages.
8 fighters / characters (2 to start and 6 unlockable ones) .
3 difficulties: Novice, Arcade, and Expert.
A tutorial to learn the game’s basics.
A mission mode, where you’ll clear difficult tasks.
A timed boss-rush.
Support gamepad and key config
GM version below, bolded some items that look like significant changes: 2 additional stages, a lot more unlockable characters, upgraded graphics and additional illustrations, remastered soundtrack with a new song.
7 total stagesconsisting of 5 stages + 2 alternate stages.Including a continuous "All Stages" mode.
4 difficulty levels.
4 unique story modes featuring fun interactions between the game's variety of characters.
Upgraded graphics and additional illustrations not in the original game.
Flexible input system that supports any combination of mouse and Keyboard or gamepad.
2 default ship types + 14 unlockable types totaling 16 to choose from!
Including popular STG loving Vtubers Hatsuki Hachimiya and Tomoko Machinery as playable guest ships!
As well as 2 more playable guest ships from two other (soon to be released) Henteko Doujin published titles GRAND CROSS: ReNOVATION and Blue Sabers: Early Mission!
Boss rush mode featuring all bosses, and a bonus extreme difficulty stage.
30 part mission mode that teaches you the tips and tricks of the game as you play.
Archive Mode where you can view illustrations and game world lore that unlocks as you progress through the game.
Features a remastered version of the original game's highly rated soundtrack including a brand new song!
Includes the bizarre bonus mini game "Laser Maidens 2".
FWIW, the original Graze Counter is 70% off right now (USD $2.99) on Steam through Nov. 22. Looks like it's going to get replaced by the upgraded version in a couple months, but perhaps people might be interested in playing the original now while you wait, or having both versions in the future.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Is the original Graze Counter actually going away? I haven't seen anything about that yet, but I also didn't really check the Steam page all that closely. Good thing I have it. I need to play it eventually.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Sorry if my last post was confusingly worded, I've seen no indication the original Graze Counter is going anywhere. When I said "replaced", I meant that in the sense of "appears that this new version will make the original obsolete".
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

The original's 70% off until the 22nd on Steam (it's a couple of quid).
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Graze Counter R is listed on the USA region Nintendo eShop site as of 11-17-2022 & is available to d/l (but won't be playable until said release date). Is a mere 200 mb d/l at best with a modest $14.99 usd pricetag.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I just played and beat the original.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Graze Counter GM is now out. At least in the US there is a 20% launch discount ($11.99 instead of $14.99) on Steam, Switch, and Xbox for 1-2 weeks depending on platform. Doesn't appear to be a discount on PS4 ($14.99) and PS5 (strangely $0.50 less, priced at $14.49).

Played a bit on Switch today, it's fun and controls are responsive - I like it! Feels a little easy for STG veterans, but still a good time and a great beginner game with easy to grasp mechanics.

Warning: I saw a comment elsewhere about the PS5 version not supporting arcade sticks. Hope they patch that soon.
"My only complaint is how the Playstation version has been handled. They're selling the PS4 and PS5 versions separate from each other, and the PS5 version doesn't support arcade sticks, but the PS4 version does. I accidentally bought the PS5 version without realizing this, and now I'm stuck with a version I can't use my arcade stick with. Super frustrating."
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

hamfighterx wrote:Graze Counter GM is now out. At least in the US there is a 20% launch discount ($11.99 instead of $14.99) on Steam, Switch, and Xbox for 1-2 weeks depending on platform. Doesn't appear to be a discount on PS4 ($14.99) and PS5 (strangely $0.50 less, priced at $14.49).

Played a bit on Switch today, it's fun and controls are responsive - I like it! Feels a little easy for STG veterans, but still a good time and a great beginner game with easy to grasp mechanics.

Warning: I saw a comment elsewhere about the PS5 version not supporting arcade sticks. Hope they patch that soon.
"My only complaint is how the Playstation version has been handled. They're selling the PS4 and PS5 versions separate from each other, and the PS5 version doesn't support arcade sticks, but the PS4 version does. I accidentally bought the PS5 version without realizing this, and now I'm stuck with a version I can't use my arcade stick with. Super frustrating."
Yeah, seeing as its the updated version of the original, it gets a + in my book. There's a demo to check out on PC/Steam and on Switch. (There isn't one for PS/Xbox, sadly.)

Kinda silly they had to split the PS 4 and 5 versions seperately (with different prices even) and not have it be cross-buy. Along with the PS5 version being a downgrade in the feature department. (Arcade sticks and otherwise not working. Unless they fix it later.)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Now that GM is out, are there any reasons to play the original instead of GM? I'm guessing that the answer is "no, aside from the original version being cheaper".

Edit: lol there is a demo. I guess I can just try that and find out for myself!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Steven wrote:Now that GM is out, are there any reasons to play the original instead of GM? I'm guessing that the answer is "no, aside from the original version being cheaper".

Edit: lol there is a demo. I guess I can just try that and find out for myself!
Well, you already answered your own question, lol. But yeah, the additions of more characters/ships (totaling 16), 2 additional alternate stages of Stages 2 and 4, remixed soundtrack, and other small things, including the unlockable Laser Maiden 2 mini-game.

Also, the demo, while only a 2 stage and 5 mission only endeavor, is something to check out, but the full game has mostly enough packed for what it is.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Playing the hell out of GM on the Xbox since a couple of days after release, very glad I took a chance and picked this up after passing on the original, it's become my early pick for game of the year. Everything just comes together in a very satisfying way-- visually very clean, pacing and length are perfect, and addictive soundtrack.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Having a lot of fun with this, but does anyone know what the requirements are to unlock Laser Maiden 2?
I've cleared it with various characters on various difficulties, done all the missions, all stage, extra stage etc.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Nugs wrote:Having a lot of fun with this, but does anyone know what the requirements are to unlock Laser Maiden 2?
I've cleared it with various characters on various difficulties, done all the missions, all stage, extra stage etc.
It unlocked for me after clearing boss rush. I had already cleared all missions, extra stage, all stage as well.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

I did one more playthrough and it unlocked. So it might just be a time thing.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Graze Counter R is listed on the USA region Nintendo eShop site as of 11-17-2022 & is available to d/l (but won't be playable until said release date). Is a mere 200 mb d/l at best with a modest $14.99 usd pricetag.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
That R is just the regular R in Graze Counter. It's like how Granada was often mislabeled as "Granada X" because of the stylized title.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

nZero wrote:
Nugs wrote:Having a lot of fun with this, but does anyone know what the requirements are to unlock Laser Maiden 2?
It unlocked for me after clearing boss rush. I had already cleared all missions, extra stage, all stage as well.
Nugs wrote:I did one more playthrough and it unlocked. So it might just be a time thing.
Actually, Laser Maiden 2 unlocks after clearing the main game 7 times. By then, everything is unlocked after that.
jehu

Post by jehu »

I had a nice time with this, too. Cleaned up on the in-game achievements. Didn't take so long, but fun while it lasted. Even managed an 'Infinite' 1CC on the highest difficulty, though with the GCR ship - so, you know, only hobbled across the finish line with a little bit of a crutch.

Probably won't be going back, but got my money's worth.