XYDONIA / ザイドニア Hori On Kickstarter

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shepardus

Re: XYDONIA / ザイドニア Hori On Kickstarter

Post by Shepardus »

Congrats, you deserve it! I look forward to seeing the full game come to fruition!
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
KAI

Post by KAI »

Congrats! Played the demo yesterday and the game looks really neat. Too bad it didn't reach the Saso/Yasui goal :( .
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

KAI wrote:Congrats! Played the demo yesterday and the game looks really neat. Too bad it didn't reach the Saso/Yasui goal :( .
I know. Was really looking forward to that as well. Saso has been one of my faves since Rolling Thunder 2 & Ridge Racer. Sure glad to have Shinji Hosoe & Keishi Yonao in on this, at least.

So far so good and I like the score system, but I have to agree with null1024 on Justice Pursuer's homing missiles exploding into suicide bullets. That may be a good thing to save for a higher difficulty level like Hard or VH.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

Thank you everyone!
gameoverDude wrote:So far so good and I like the score system, but I have to agree with null1024 on Justice Pursuer's homing missiles exploding into suicide bullets. That may be a good thing to save for a higher difficulty level like Hard or VH.
Like I said a while ago, both boss fights are still WIP and missing attack/movement patterns so it's easy to find some balancing issues. Other than that, right now both Yoko's and Bull's options don't behave like they should against Justice Pursuer (the first shoots the rear tire which does not take any damage and the latter makes those missiles explode by touching them). :)

The idea behind the missiles was that you could destroy them and dodge the bullets to deal with the boss quickly if you managed to, but also avoid hitting them completely (they stop following you after a short while) so that the bullets won't spawn.

And yes, it's really a shame we didn't reach the Saso/Yasui stretch, I was personally eager to get them on board. :)
@ShingoPx | XYDONIA | Image
Lead artist, Game Designer @ Breaking Bytes
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Shingo wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:I'm mixed on the concept art, but in-game, it looks like hot fire.
The first promotional flyer (the one with all the characters and stuff) was commissioned, while the pixel art in-game is personally made by me, that may be why you spotted a difference in style. :)
Guess you didn't need a commission then. :P

The pixel variations look infinitely better.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
djgilmour

Post by djgilmour »

Shingo wrote:Thank you everyone!
gameoverDude wrote:So far so good and I like the score system, but I have to agree with null1024 on Justice Pursuer's homing missiles exploding into suicide bullets. That may be a good thing to save for a higher difficulty level like Hard or VH.
Like I said a while ago, both boss fights are still WIP and missing attack/movement patterns so it's easy to find some balancing issues. Other than that, right now both Yoko's and Bull's options don't behave like they should against Justice Pursuer (the first shoots the rear tire which does not take any damage and the latter makes those missiles explode by touching them). :)

The idea behind the missiles was that you could destroy them and dodge the bullets to deal with the boss quickly if you managed to, but also avoid hitting them completely (they stop following you after a short while) so that the bullets won't spawn.

And yes, it's really a shame we didn't reach the Saso/Yasui stretch, I was personally eager to get them on board. :)
Your game looks awesome. Do you think you guys will release it this year or will it be. 2017?
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

djgilmour wrote:Your game looks awesome. Do you think you guys will release it this year or will it be. 2017?
We're doing our best to release it in 2017, approximately one year after the end of our crowdfunding campaign. :)
djgilmour

Post by djgilmour »

Shingo wrote:
djgilmour wrote:Your game looks awesome. Do you think you guys will release it this year or will it be. 2017?
We're doing our best to release it in 2017, approximately one year after the end of our crowdfunding campaign. :)
Wow, I see it now, november 2017! Good luck the next 12 months finishing the game! I will buy a windows PC especially to play this game!
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

I'm gonna drop some more GIFs showing our progress:

Here's an example of alternate versions of the same stage, which will be accessible by meeting different gameplay conditions.

As we showed on our KS page, the game will feature a Star Map that will help you locate these secret routes and stages. This will be available at the end of each playthrough and in the stage select mode, to avoid breaking game flow.

However every stage will play differently from the others, Stage 1C for example will put you against a kaiju-inspired (WIP) boss that will attack you and alter your surroundings before the actual encounter. :)

Stay tuned for more and feel free to follow our social links for quicker updates!
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Looking good!

Can't wait for the final game. :)
djgilmour

Post by djgilmour »

Shingo wrote:I'm gonna drop some more GIFs showing our progress:

Here's an example of alternate versions of the same stage, which will be accessible by meeting different gameplay conditions.

As we showed on our KS page, the game will feature a Star Map that will help you locate these secret routes and stages. This will be available at the end of each playthrough and in the stage select mode, to avoid breaking game flow.

However every stage will play differently from the others, Stage 1C for example will put you against a kaiju-inspired (WIP) boss that will attack you and alter your surroundings before the actual encounter. :)

Stay tuned for more and feel free to follow our social links for quicker updates!
Awesome, but keep those scanlines in the game!
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

djgilmour wrote:Awesome, but keep those scanlines in the game!
No worries! Although optional, they're always gonna be in the game, we disable them for the GIFs because they don't display properly on such a small picture. :)
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Besides, scanlines are dumb beyond simulating a device that uses them.

I don't want to raise hell over stage branching, but I will link to this. Maybe hide an all stages mode in there somewhere; that would certainly help a little, and be a pretty fun mode anyway. That aside, the stage branching reminds me of Brikin'ger for some reason. Looking forward to the final game, at any rate.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

Despatche wrote:Besides, scanlines are dumb beyond simulating a device that uses them.
Playing on a real CRT display can't be beat of course, while simple scanlines often just darken the picture and aren't really that viable. To reach the best compromise, we've chosen to implement a shader that actually simulates the behavior of a CRT TV and keeps the correct pixel ratio when possible. Sure you can customize it to an extent, turn it off completely or even hook the game to a real CRT, so anyone can enjoy it their way. :)
Despatche wrote:I don't want to raise hell over stage branching, but I will link to this. Maybe hide an all stages mode in there somewhere; that would certainly help a little, and be a pretty fun mode anyway. That aside, the stage branching reminds me of Brikin'ger for some reason. Looking forward to the final game, at any rate.
It's similar, but instead of manually choosing your next stage, it's tied to certain gameplay conditions (ex. not killing a boss in time, thus letting it escape). We're trying to make it more skill based than, say, depending on random guessing.

Anyway, yeah, an all stage mode, with its own leaderboards and all, could be a nice bonus. There are some other extra modes we're considering, so we'll keep that in mind for sure. :)
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

Here's a closer shot of that boss from last time, Mecha-Tokuma, during the final encounter at the end of the stage. :)

MarioNintendo

Post by MarioNintendo »

Shingo wrote: (ex. not killing a boss in time, thus letting it escape).
For some reason, this made me think of contra hard corps, with deadeye joe. Hyped to see where you'll take the concept! :)
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

This Xydonia shmup demo is definitely a labor of love and it shows. Have you thought about it being developed as an arcade PCB release, Shingo?

I'm sure Neo-Geo Dev Team (on the Neo-Geo MVS/AES platform) or even Aerotech Griffin (Game Maker coded programs run on their Airframe Jamma PCB platform along with added cloud support from the get-go) would be glad help you and your team release it as a bona-fide arcade shmup PCB release. Heck, to see Xydonia up & running on a low-res 15kHz endowed candy cab would be quite something, wouldn't it?

It'd be awesome to play Xydonia on the PS TV/Vita TV micro consoles and even on the ol' Vita handheld.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

MarioNintendo wrote:Aerotech Griffin (Game Maker coded programs run on their Airframe Jamma PCB platform along with added cloud support from the get-go) would be glad help you and your team release it as a bona-fide arcade shmup PCB release.
I know the Skycurser guys are eager to work with other passionate devs interested in getting new shmups on their arcade board.

Boss look sweet by the way!
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Puyopuyomayo

Post by Puyopuyomayo »

Shingo wrote:
rtw wrote:Any chance of an Alpha V2 build of the first level so we can give it a spin ? :D
It's coming very soon, just a matter of a few days! Will include 2 stages+WIP designs of their boss fights. :)

Hey

I tried the demo -- I can't reassign the controls to other xinput devices (I have an arcade stick)

Are you planning to implement this feature? At the moment only the x360 controller is recognizes..
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

Puyopuyomayo wrote: Hey

I tried the demo -- I can't reassign the controls to other xinput devices (I have an arcade stick)

Are you planning to implement this feature? At the moment only the x360 controller is recognizes..
This, PLEASE.
Image Image Image Image
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, I don't always get notified of new activity on this thread even if I subscribed to it, weird.

Anyway, I'll try to answer to everything you asked. :)
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:This Xydonia shmup demo is definitely a labor of love and it shows. Have you thought about it being developed as an arcade PCB release, Shingo?

I'm sure Neo-Geo Dev Team (on the Neo-Geo MVS/AES platform) or even Aerotech Griffin (Game Maker coded programs run on their Airframe Jamma PCB platform along with added cloud support from the get-go) would be glad help you and your team release it as a bona-fide arcade shmup PCB release. Heck, to see Xydonia up & running on a low-res 15kHz endowed candy cab would be quite something, wouldn't it?

It'd be awesome to play Xydonia on the PS TV/Vita TV micro consoles and even on the ol' Vita handheld.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Thanks! We thought about an arcade PCB release and it's still something we're considering, but we decided to focus on finishing the game first and then think about porting it later. We're a really small team, so we must choose our priorities. :)

PS Vita was one of the KS stretch goals, but we didn't reach it unfortunately, so that will have to wait too.
MommysBestGames wrote:
MarioNintendo wrote:Aerotech Griffin (Game Maker coded programs run on their Airframe Jamma PCB platform along with added cloud support from the get-go) would be glad help you and your team release it as a bona-fide arcade shmup PCB release.
I know the Skycurser guys are eager to work with other passionate devs interested in getting new shmups on their arcade board.

Boss look sweet by the way!
Yep, we noticed. :)

Cheers!
Magma Dragoon wrote:

This, PLEASE.
Xinput devices should work from the get-go, at least the ones we tested did (I personally have a 360 MadCatz TE stick, we also tested both first and second party 360 and One controllers, all worked flawlessly so far), but there may be some compatibility issues we didn't encounter yet. What stick are you using exactly?

Full controller support and rebindable keys are planned anyway, but, until we get there, joy2key can be used as a workaround. :)
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

Shingo wrote:Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, I don't always get notified of new activity on this thread even if I subscribed to it, weird.

Anyway, I'll try to answer to everything you asked. :)
Magma Dragoon wrote:

This, PLEASE.
Xinput devices should work from the get-go, at least the ones we tested did (I personally have a 360 MadCatz TE stick, we also tested both first and second party 360 and One controllers, all worked flawlessly so far), but there may be some compatibility issues we didn't encounter yet. What stick are you using exactly?

Full controller support and rebindable keys are planned anyway, but, until we get there, joy2key can be used as a workaround. :)
Thanks, good to know this is on the plans. it is really annoying that most PC devs presume we all have a X360 controller/are too lazy to implement proper controller support, leaving us to have to use workarounds to actually play the game.

I use a PS2 controller USB adapter, by the way.
Image Image Image Image
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

Magma Dragoon wrote:Thanks, good to know this is on the plans. it is really annoying that most PC devs presume we all have a X360 controller/are too lazy to implement proper controller support, leaving us to have to use workarounds to actually play the game.

No problem! We'll let you guys know when other types of input will be implemented. :)
Puyopuyomayo

Post by Puyopuyomayo »

Shingo wrote:
Magma Dragoon wrote:Thanks, good to know this is on the plans. it is really annoying that most PC devs presume we all have a X360 controller/are too lazy to implement proper controller support, leaving us to have to use workarounds to actually play the game.

No problem! We'll let you guys know when other types of input will be implemented. :)

I use a Saturn controller, a neo geo controller and a hori fighter stivk
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

Puyopuyomayo wrote:I use a Saturn controller, a neo geo controller and a hori fighter stivk
Which Hori fight stick model precisely and for which platform?

BTW, we're testing the PS4 Hori Mini sticks for portability reasons (bringing them to events and stuff), so we might expand controller compatibility starting from our upcoming betas already. :)
Last edited by Shingo on Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Any chance for a switch version in the future ? Appernetly the dev kit are 450$
http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2017/02 ... ce-is-450/
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

CRP wrote:Any chance for a switch version in the future ? Appernetly the dev kit are 450$
Yeah, we heard about that, depending on the console's success it could be a cool scenario. Unfortunately porting costs go beyond the dev kit alone, so we really have to be sure it would be worth it. :)
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

Shingo wrote:
CRP wrote:Any chance for a switch version in the future ? Appernetly the dev kit are 450$
Yeah, we heard about that, depending on the console's success it could be a cool scenario. Unfortunately porting costs go beyond the dev kit alone, so we really have to be sure it would be worth it. :)
I'd say don't do it, at least not right now. Trying to port to every freaking system is what killed Mighty No 9.
Image Image Image Image
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

Magma Dragoon wrote:
Shingo wrote:
I'd say don't do it, at least not right now. Trying to port to every freaking system is what killed Mighty No 9.
Of course, anything regarding possible console ports and the like will have to wait until the game will be released, then we'll start considering all our options.
djgilmour

Post by djgilmour »

Shingo wrote:Here's a closer shot of that boss from last time, Mecha-Tokuma, during the final encounter at the end of the stage. :)

It is august 2017. When is it done?
Or is it done when it's done?