XYDONIA / ザイドニア Hori On Kickstarter

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kaiser

Re: XYDONIA / ザイドニア Hori On Kickstarter

Post by Kaiser »

djgilmour wrote:It is august 2017. When is it done?
Or is it done when it's done?
If you checked the kickstarter page you would find out the ESTIMATED delivery is October 2017. However, that's not including possible delays. Let them take time.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

Kaiser wrote:
djgilmour wrote:It is august 2017. When is it done?
Or is it done when it's done?
If you checked the kickstarter page you would find out the ESTIMATED delivery is October 2017. However, that's not including possible delays. Let them take time.
Yep, that's an estimated date, but we might need more time. We'll post an update about it soon. :)
@ShingoPx | XYDONIA | Image
Lead artist, Game Designer @ Breaking Bytes
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Bump.

Got an email from these cats yesterday - game is coming along nicely.

The Kickstarter page is also updated.
My lord, I have come for you.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Stevens wrote:Bump.

Nice!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/br ... ts/2309380

I was getting worried the project might be cancelled or something.
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

Stevens wrote:Bump.

Yep, alive and kicking!

I'll take the time and resume updating info on the forums ASAP too. :)
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

Hey guys, long time no see!

Sorry for the lack of news, but a lot has happened in our lives during the last year and a half, and we couldn't really focus on development until a few months ago.
That being said, let me hit you with some nice updates!

First of all, we've shifted XYDONIA's engine to GameMaker Studio 2, which has been helping a ton in smoothing out our development process.
Relocating the entire game from GMS1 took a while at first, but it definitely payed off.
We can now take advantage of a greatly streamlined interface and a much more powerful room editor.

We've also been hard at work on something that the most hardcore among you will surely appreciate, and that is pixel-perfect fast bullet collision detection.
Can't blame the game for failing that flawless run anymore!

Another big feature we're currently experimenting is an alternate 16:9 mode to go along with the classic 4:3 view.
This will provide a different take on the game while also making the most of the entire screen area offered by modern displays.
It will be surely necessary for us to tailor the gameplay to this new aspect ratio, that's why we decided to approach it as a separate game mode.
We're still keeping the original 4:3 aspect ratio and everything is being built around that first, so don't worry, you'll always be able to play XYDONIA on your CRT displays!

While working on the game's new content, we've been polishing its overall presentation too, and made a pretty big overhaul to the menu,
getting it ready to accommodate all the new modes and features we're adding.

Speaking of new content, a good part of it is obviously related to boss fights, so let's take a peek at our hairy friend Mr. Sibomba!

And last but not least, a feline duo has entered the fray: Zorba and Zachary are ready for battle!

You can read more about them in our latest Kickstarter update. Be sure to check out the previous ones as well if you haven't already!

This is pretty much all for now, I'll try to update you more regularly from now on.
Thanks to everyone who checked on us!
Last edited by Shingo on Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Shingo wrote:Hey guys, long time no see!

Sorry for the lack of news, but a lot has happened in our lives during the last year and a half, and we couldn't really focus on development until a few months ago.
That being said, let me hit you with some nice updates!

First of all, we've shifted XYDONIA's engine to GameMaker Studio 2, which has been helping a ton in smoothing out our development process.
Relocating the entire game from GMS1 took a while at first, but it definitely payed off.
We can now take advantage of a greatly streamlined interface and a much more powerful room editor.

We've also been hard at work on something that the most hardcore among you will surely appreciate, and that is pixel-perfect fast bullet collision detection.
Can't blame the game for failing that flawless run anymore!

Another big feature we're currently experimenting is an alternate 16:9 mode to go along with the classic 4:3 view.
This will provide a different take on the game while also making the most of the entire screen area offered by modern displays.
It will be surely necessary for us to tailor the gameplay to this new aspect ratio, that's why we decided to approach it as a separate game mode.
We're still keeping the original 4:3 aspect ratio and everything is being built around that first, so don't worry, you'll always be able to play XYDONIA on your CRT displays!

While working on the game's new content, we've been polishing its overall presentation too, and made a pretty big overhaul to the menu,
getting it ready to accommodate all the new modes and features we're adding.

Speaking of new content, a good part of it is obviously related to boss fights, so let's take a peek at our hairy friend Mr. Sibomba!

And last but not least, a feline duo has entered the fray: Zorba and Zachary are ready for battle!

This is pretty much all for now, I'll try to update you more regularly from now on.
Thanks to everyone who checked on us!
Oh my goodness!!!

Now that is a very epic update, and we are happy that you guys found a way to seamlessly translate from GMS1 to GMS2 with better results than expected.

To utilize both 16:9 and 4:3 as different game modes will sure be a real treat!

Have you guys considered doing this for Exa Arcadia? They have the requirement of games being compatible for 4:3 and 16:9, and this sounds like your unique take could help you tweak and add exclusive content to Exa Arcadia.

We wish all of you good luck to delivering the game the best it can be.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Sorely tempted to grab Monocle Cat as a new avatar, heh.
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

MrJBRPG wrote:Oh my goodness!!!

Now that is a very epic update, and we are happy that you guys found a way to seamlessly translate from GMS1 to GMS2 with better results than expected.

To utilize both 16:9 and 4:3 as different game modes will sure be a real treat!

Have you guys considered doing this for Exa Arcadia? They have the requirement of games being compatible for 4:3 and 16:9, and this sounds like your unique take could help you tweak and add exclusive content to Exa Arcadia.

We wish all of you good luck to delivering the game the best it can be.
Thanks!

It took a while to take the time to update you guys on the forums too, but we're finally gonna be a bit more active here too!

As always, we encourage everyone interested to follow us on our social pages too, those are usually the most up to date with the game's progress.

Regarding Exa Arcadia, it's an interesting option for sure and we've been aware of that for a while now, but for the time being we're just focusing on finally wrapping this up, then we'll see where it brings us. :)
BulletMagnet wrote:Sorely tempted to grab Monocle Cat as a new avatar, heh.
Haha, I won't stop you. :D
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

"We're sorry for the wait, but the game is now a hundred times better. Please watch warmly!!!"

Too many good games in dev or coming out. Help.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
glide

Post by glide »

This looks totally AWESOME omg. Even the menus look damn good
Shingo

Post by Shingo »

Time for a new GIF already!

This is a sneak peek at the revamped Burst Attack we've been working on recently.

We always wanted it to be a scoring device, but during testing we noticed that the way it was implemented was almost forcing the player to just store it and never use it before reaching the stage boss.

There also was a feeling that our game could use less buttons in general, so we decided to scrap the idea of a smart bomb kind of attack for a quicker, more flexible maneuver.

In short, it'll work as a charged shot and start building up when not shooting. Targets destroyed this way will boost your multiplier.

This character's attack in particular was inspired by R-Type Leo obviously, but each ship will have their own, matching their playstyle and pod formation/behavior.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

This keeps looking better and better with every update.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Looks amazing! Any plans to have a slowdown/focus option?
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

I just realized I missed reading the latest email update for backers. This is looking great.

I also have a random question: I pledged for the alpha fighter tier. I remember there being an early build released like 2+ years ago. Have you had any other alpha releases?
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

A new demo for XYDONIA has recently been released! Details here :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/br ... ts/2719726

If you didn't back the Kickstarter you can get the public "Alpha Ver 3", and backers above a certain tier recieved another more advanced demo named "Alpha Fighter Special Ver 01".
Having played the public demo, I found the game to be quite promising and faithful to old-school visuals and style. There are some things to polish here and there but the devs are aware of that and plenty of improvements are already made in the backer demo.

Give it a try! The public demo can be found here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/5a0ske73ftdba ... c.zip?dl=0
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
MarioNintendo

Post by MarioNintendo »

:? no news in over 2 years. F.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

wow, it's been nearly 6 years since I backed this, I forgot all about it… :(
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Didn't the dev have medical issues? I hate to think about why there's no update for 2.5 years.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yeah I was checking out the KS page recently. Too bad. Looked like it was on the right track.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

prophetic wrote:Didn't the dev have medical issues? I hate to think about why there's no update for 2.5 years.
I checked the kickstarter page, to see if there was any info or replies in the last year or so (sometimes, there's no updates, but creators do reply to comments), hoping to learn more about the creators health problems that you hinted at, and checking the comments by other users, health issues doesn't appear to be the problem with this campaign.

Indeed, like people are claiming there, and I could easily confirm it, the main developer (and the guy who created the kickstarter campaign), Dario Fantini, has long since updated various websites like Linkedin, so he is very much alive.
In fact, there's plenty of info about him teaching courses, and he has marked as having started working in May 2022 at Nacon Studio Milan, so he is alive and working. He just can't be bothered to update kickstarter, and has surely abandoned the game.

Besides Dario Fantini, who is listed for Code/Design/Music, the other main developer (and the user who previously posted about the game in here), Walter Samperi, has also posted on social media well after his last post in here, and has worked in several other games since then (including other Kickstarter-ed games like Tor Eternum, plus titles like 198X / Steel Assault / Arcane Waters), so he is also still alive.

I really hate it when people pull crap like this.
I'm perfectly sensible to someone's personal situation changing, like "I need to get a job elsewhere, and I'm only able to work on the game in my spare time, so expect it to take an extra 2-3 years". I would totally be fine with that.
What I'm not sensible to is to people who ask for others to fund their work, apparently abandon it, and don't even bother to say anything about it (I won't even mention refunds, because that rarely happens, but if you aren't going to deliver, at least have the balls to admit it).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Some of you probably already saw this, but Electric Underground recently did a "post-mortem" of sorts on this project, though a good chunk of it is more focused on Kickstarter as a platform than this specific debacle.