your ideal first level in a shmup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Axelay has one of the best first stage BGMs ever. I love that tune!

Other favorites of mine are Darius II, Thunder Force III (the Gargoyle stage), Choplifter (SMS), Eliminate Down, Radiant Silvergun, R-Type.
Xonatron

Post by Xonatron »

PROMETHEUS wrote:
Matthew Doucette wrote:
Tony Gradius wrote:Irem`s original R-TYPE.

Never been THAT amazed by any first level again.
I have to agree with this. But R-Type was so revolutionary that the first stage was introducing the revolution as well as being the first stage. Stage 2 (snake which entrers the boss) and 3 (boss is the stage) continued to blow me away in R-Type.
I can't understand that. R-Type is ultra outdated compared to many newer games, I can't see how it would amaze a player more than Gradius V or Ikaruga would, for example.
I meant in respect to its time. And I have not played Gradius V. I have played Ikaruga, but not enough to comment on it.
Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
Score Rush Extended [PS4]: viewtopic.php?t=55520
Ed Oscuro

Re: your ideal first level in a shmup

Post by Ed Oscuro »

R-Type Leo
nash87

Post by nash87 »

+1 to dodonpachi, the most epic first stage there is.
+1 to raiden fighters jet for the medal collecting
GaijinPunch wrote:Someone PM me when we have to play w/ the stick up our asses.
"shrimps in my eyes! I cannot see!"
XBLA: h8erfisternator
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Not Battle Bakraid. I understand why the game design requires it to be the way it is, but I still hate it.

Raiden Fighters Jet is a good one. So is Batrider.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Observer

Post by Observer »

Darius Gaiden stage 1 with the long version of "Visionnerz", the ethereal vocals and strange instrumentation is superb. I like how the first mid-boss seems to fly and fire while 'dancing' to the tune. Or at least I get that feeling. The track continues playing during the next stage and I love the synchronisation.

I might get flak for this but Psyvariar 2 stage 1 is awesome and the boss is glorious when it keeps going up and up till it blocks the sun and fires his Big Fucking Laser (c). The boss theme is also extremely synchronised at that moment and gives a cool dramatic effect.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

I would prefer it if most games lost the first stage altogether, although I agree with the above recommendations of Psikyo games. Gunbird never bored me when I went for the 1cc.

My ideal first stage would be a boss encounter with a large amount of mildly challenging bullet patterns that can keep me entertained.

My nightmare first stage has to be Biohazard Battle. Love the game, hate the first stage intro shit.
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
versionfiv

Post by versionfiv »

the perfect first level in a shmup for me is Space Megaforce.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

versionfiv wrote:the perfect first level in a shmup for me is Space Megaforce.
I also like that one. Then...the next level starts with the weird Mode7 background spinny stuff.
bucklemyshoe

Post by bucklemyshoe »

I really like ESPGaluda's first stage.
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

For me, it's: (in no particular order)

Dodonpachi Daioujou
ESPgaluda
Gradius V
R-Type
Radiant Silvergun
Ibara
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Spriggan. The music and atmosphere make it look like a flying carnival, not a battle between two warring states.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Darius Gaiden's first level is one of my favorites, for sure. It has a really eerie and tense feeling to it, being set above a ruined city for the most part, and the music augments it perfectly. It is a bit easy, but it's short and the game definitely doesn't stay easy for long :) Similarly, Metal Black has a nice feeling to it, though it feels a bit more, er, reluctantly heroic, also because of the music. Of course, the possible unavoidable death by aircraft carrier in the ass doesn't really help my case, but hey, it does set the tone for the rest of the game! Another one that I haven't seen mentioned is R-Type Delta (man, I must be a sucker for ruined cities).

As far as verts go, so far I haven't seen one that grabbed me as much as Ikaruga's. Guwange is definitely a contender, though.
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

Tomtom wrote:Darius Gaiden's first level is one of my favorites, for sure. It has a really eerie and tense feeling to it, being set above a ruined city for the most part, and the music augments it perfectly.
TRUST... YOUR... EYES... (guitar riffs) TRUST... YOUR... EYES... (guitar riffs)

FFFFFFFFFFFF-- ...bbl, replaying Darius Gaiden
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Tomtom wrote:Of course, the possible unavoidable death by aircraft carrier in the ass
How? You just move the ship around and that doesn't happen.
indutrial

Post by indutrial »

After months of cheapskate bargain-hunting and lost EBay auctions, I finally found a good copy of R-Type Delta, and I must say that the game's first stage is a total blast. I enjoy shooters that ease off of kicking your ass on the first stage in lieu of setting the atmosphere of the game's artistic flavor, and this one doesn't disappoint. I especially enjoy the big-ass enemies you find yourself picking apart early on. It reminded me of everything I liked about the look and feel of games like Contra III: The Alien Wars, which similarly has a bunch of mechanical monsters ravaging a futuristic city.

I always liked the first stage in Salamander/Life Force as well. The look and feel of the board seem to scream that you're not in Gradius I territory anymore. The music is decidedly serious-sounding, there's bio-organic shit growing all over the place, giant teeth coming out of the floor. I prefer the NES version if only because the slower scrolling lets everything sink in more. As great as Salamander is as an arcade game, the scroll just rushes too much to enjoy the finer points.