your ideal first level in a shmup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Psyvariar 2? That stage "0?"
Alpolio

Post by Alpolio »

I think that Einhander has the best first stage of all of the shmups.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Theres something I really like about the raidens first levels... I also still cant get 1000 gold on Espgaluda's stage 1, or chain as consistently as I'd like in DoDonpachi's first stage. This prevents boredom :)
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
kemical

Post by kemical »

from a developer perspective thinking about someone who has never played the game, and has had no prior knowledge of the game (so either in an arcade or shareware downloadable form)..
I'd want the first level to always demand the player's attention, even if it is more due to things going on in the background rather than being extremely challenging. I'n the case of a shooter I'd want it to end a bit shorter than the other levels in the game, so that when the player (IF the player) gets to the boss they will hopefully feel excited/whatever that they beat the first level and will be hopefully wanting to continue playing the second level.

So, In a first level I want music that shifts with key moments onscreen, cool unexpected stuff happening for the first-timer, lots of stuff to blow up, a difficulty that isn't challenging to a hardened shmupper, but with enough difficulty in secondary skill-tests such as chaining, getting secret items, or trying to attain a perfect score.. etc. Oh, and more than 1 boss.

and if you can keep the same (or greater) presentation and excitement/fun in the first level throughout the game, then you have a great game.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I like first levels in shmups that are really hard the first time but can be mastered quickly that way you can be intially challenged and not haft to worry about wrecking your ability to proggress through the rest of the game.
Andy 5

Post by Andy 5 »

Shmups with first levels I like:

DoDonPachi (the graphics and the cool music drew me right in!)

Alien Soldier (ditto here)

Gunstar Heroes (heck, you get to choose which one you do first!)

Armed Police Batrider (it starts off challenging, but not too challenging)

19XX (I like intros where your mothership is shot down and you escape to "avenge" it...not that I like having my allies blown up though :roll:)

I don't really know what my ideal first level would be...I dunno, maybe flying over a seemingly-normal location like a city or a serene forest, only to be surprised by an enemy ambush led by that level's boss.

Ooh, I know. You start out flying over a peaceful forest, shooting down the occasional formation of popcorn enemies. The forest has running waterfalls, clouds, detailed pixel art and cool parallax, showing good game design. Several larger enemies show up, who have more powerful attacks.

Suddenly, the entire forests seemingly bursts open! A huge underground base is built under the forest! As trees burn down, turrets reveal themselves and shoot at you, enemy fighters fly out of now-revealed hangar doors, and then a mountain opens up, revealing an immense (and I mean immense!) stationary boss.

Your shock, surprise and emotional impact of a forest being destroyed push you on to defeat this boss, who is challenging but not maddening like how later levels may be. Avenge that forest dangit! Anyone else like my first level idea?
And no pickles! Oh god help you if I find pickles!
-Stewie Griffin
JBC

Post by JBC »

theevilfunkster wrote:Gradius V has a great first stage, especially on the harder settings. Never a dull moment, just totally awesome.
I disagree, i've always found the first stage to be very bland. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad - just no where near as good as the green liquid stage, the rectangle trap boss, the biological level or the asteroid cluster fuck.
I would have much preferred the traditional first stage with volcanoes and what not - always liked the idea of an environment like that existing in space... a twin landscape parallel to itself. Throw in another black hole incident like in Gaiden and you've got a true winner :)
Turrican wrote:Another game with very short stages I do remember now is Raystorm. All the stages in this one are pretty short, but I guess you have to like lock-on gameplay to enjoy it (and even then, widespread opinion is that Rayforce is better).
Yes, every stage in RayStorm is quite enjoyable - including the first. Maybe it's just the thrill of being able to easily get a perfect lock on rate everytime, the announcer or maybe the music but i never really get tired of RayStorm's first stage. Another thing is that i know i'm in for stage 2 which is even funner. And then into SPACE! :)
Also, popular opinion is wrong. It must be, because i'm circuitface and i said it was so which means i'm totally right. RayStorm is on par with RayForce.
Nemo wrote:My favorite is Garegga's: quick and not dull.
Yes, everything about Garegga's first stage is beautiful. The music, the environment, the sounds, the enemies, the gameplay, your ships and shots, the scoring. It's all beautiful. It feels very refreshing every time i play.
Tony Gradius wrote:Irem`s original R-TYPE.

Never been THAT amazed by any first level again.
This goes without saying. This level was so cool it could be considered iconic.

I'd like to add Gunbird, 1944: The Loop Master, Viper: Phase 1 and Super Aleste to the list of shmups with heavenly intro stages.
Godzilla was an inside job
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

wut whar dis topic com frum

I LIKE VIPER PHASE 1 FIRST STAGE

it is awesome

you have to kill everything
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I always like a first stage in which I can figure out most, if not all, the mechanics of a game. If it can set up the atmosphere for the remainder of the game, that's perfect (i.e. anything of the old Konami/Taito titles, I think).
My choices are Gokujjou Parodius and Rayforce, Garegga.

I am beginning to fiercely dislike tricky initial stages, like the Shikigamis: for unknown reasons, on some titles I tend to lose considerable chunks of points at the very beginning and have problems on how to get them (the true problem!).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I'd like a first stage to be hard and stay hard when mastered, i.e with a small enough difference in difficulty with the later stages, so that it's not boring to play in each run. Like Mushihimesama or futari's stage 1 in Ultra mode.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

the first stage should also be incredibly long and tedious
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
zukan

Post by zukan »

The first stage in Thunder Force IV was a true spectacle for me to behold. It was basically what turned my attention to shmups in the first place, no it wasn't about insane amounts of bullets or hard memorization, as a few of you have already mentioned. Although I was so small back when I first played it, I couldn't tell the difference between easy and maniac, because I kept dying every 5th second. Still, the music, the amazing visuals were all so well presented it would change the way I looked upon 2D arcades forever.
FIL

Post by FIL »

I like the first stage of Darius Twin, because its not in a cave and it has a mackerel at the end.
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

First stage in Outzone sets the mood. Doesn't overwhelm you and has kick ass music.
MJR

Post by MJR »

shoe-sama wrote:wut whar dis topic com frum

it is awesome

Though I can hardly read the gibberish you usually write, I can agree with you on this one. Viper phase 1 opening is pretty great.

Pulstar has great opening as well. One of the few games where you can blow holes in the enviroment.
lgb

Post by lgb »

Easy. A game where you get to choose. Like Thunder Force and Gunstar Heroes and stuff.
cajujoe

Post by cajujoe »

Ikaruga. With that wonderful sound track.
NEVER SURRENDER
sfried

Post by sfried »

The first level pits you against non-threatening targets. Lets you get a hang of your ship/controls/movement speed.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

sfried wrote:The first level pits you against non-threatening targets. Lets you get a hang of your ship/controls/movement speed.
Great, imagine the levels of boredom you're gonna reach when replaying this over and over in each of your runs.
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

MJR wrote:
shoe-sama wrote:wut whar dis topic com frum

it is awesome

Though I can hardly read the gibberish you usually write, I can agree with you on this one. Viper phase 1 opening is pretty great.
LOL here's a hint. You failed to read the gibberish correctly this time too.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
BIL

Re: your ideal first level in a shmup

Post by BIL »

Rob wrote:An ideal first level for me is one I wouldn't mind restarting and playing a dozen times in a row, so that limits it to basically just Mars Matrix and Giga Wing Generations for me. Very fast paced, little risk of death and a lot of room for scoring refinements. In Takumi games the first level has a great impact because of the multiplier, so it also feels more important than just playing one level. Those two are two of my favorite stages overall.
This is how I'd describe my ideal first level, too. Rayforce is my current favourite example. It's short, not likely to kill you, and yet requires a good deal of attention and finesse to get a high score. You can't just snooze through it if you want to score, and that's what makes a good first level for me. No wasted time either mindlessly going through patterns or just not doing much. Great music helps too (Thunder Cross doesn't have what I 'd call a great first stage, but its BGM "First Attack" is always a pleasure to hear).
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Easy to beat, tough to master for score. A good example is the first stage in Raiden Fighters Jet. It's an easy level, but if you master it completely you can get your high scoring medals started before you even enter stage 2, giving you a big headstart on a high score for the overall run.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Enhasa wrote: LOL here's a hint. You failed to read the gibberish correctly this time too.
So it was gibberish irony? point taken.

by the way, http://nomorelol.com/
grovsnus

Post by grovsnus »

NAMBLA... lol.
"There is nothing in Man's industrial machinery but greed and sloth: his heart is in his weapons" - the Devil
MJR

Post by MJR »

grovsnus wrote:NAMBLA... lol.
Nambla? Now I'm even more confused. But then, I'm an old fart.
Let's check google.. nambla..
A ha! North American Man-Boy Love association.
grovsnus

Post by grovsnus »

MJR wrote:
Haha, yeah apparently it's also some new organisation against bad linguistics mentioned in the link you gave us.
"There is nothing in Man's industrial machinery but greed and sloth: his heart is in his weapons" - the Devil
MJR

Post by MJR »

grovsnus wrote:
MJR wrote:
Haha, yeah apparently it's also some new organisation against bad linguistics mentioned in the link you gave us.
I guess it's my turn to lol- I missed that one completely!
"National Acronym Monitoring Board of Linguistic Anomalies"

But they also say at the end of the page that bears eat bees.

Am I getting off the topic somehow..? :)
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Stages with good scoring opportunities, preferably with good music, and short. Of course these have to be blanketing a good game to begin with =P

Dodonpachi, Battle Garegga, ESPgaluda, Mars Matrix, all Psikyo games , etc, are prime examples (save music for some) of well-done first stages.
Xonatron

Post by Xonatron »

I have to agree with this. But R-Type was so revolutionary that the first stage was introducing the revolution as well as being the first stage. Stage 2 (snake which entrers the boss) and 3 (boss is the stage) continued to blow me away in R-Type.
Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
Score Rush Extended [PS4]: viewtopic.php?t=55520
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Matthew Doucette wrote:

I have to agree with this. But R-Type was so revolutionary that the first stage was introducing the revolution as well as being the first stage. Stage 2 (snake which entrers the boss) and 3 (boss is the stage) continued to blow me away in R-Type.
I can't understand that. R-Type is ultra outdated compared to many newer games, I can't see how it would amaze a player more than Gradius V or Ikaruga would, for example.