Dangun Feveron PS4, ported/published by M2, out this winter

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
GSK

Re: Dangun Feveron PS4, ported/published by M2, out this win

Post by GSK »

The majority of legacy re-releases at that price point are mediocre to awful, including Cave's own XBLA Guwange release.

If you want these games to get quality ports you have to be prepared to pay above-market prices for them, it's that simple.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Keres wrote:There's no official soundtrack release
??? https://vgmdb.net/album/7644
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

I meant of the arranged soundtracks added in the M2 port, given that the person I was replying to said
I really want that arrange OST
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I'm blind woops.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

GSK wrote:The majority of legacy re-releases at that price point are mediocre to awful, including Cave's own XBLA Guwange release.

If you want these games to get quality ports you have to be prepared to pay above-market prices for them, it's that simple.
This post nails it. I'll buy everything M2 wants to port from the old Raizing / Cave libraries. Nobody else is even close, in terms of the care and features that they pack in for $35.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Keres wrote:There's no official soundtrack release, but the game has a built-in music player, so...you could get creative if you really wanted.
4,000,000% sad. :C
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

It's up on PSN US & PSN Canada.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

brentsg wrote:
GSK wrote:The majority of legacy re-releases at that price point are mediocre to awful, including Cave's own XBLA Guwange release.

This post nails it. I'll buy everything M2 wants to port from the old Raizing / Cave libraries. Nobody else is even close, in terms of the care and features that they pack in for $35.
Just this. A $10 release would probably be nothing but a straight up port of the original PCB.
Soukyugurentai would easily be worth that $35 (Don't tell M2, but I'd go as high as even $50 for that one :mrgreen: ).
Kinect? KIN NOT.
guigui

Post by guigui »

reckon luck wrote:Those of you unhappy about the price, and planning on buying via PS4, do this:

1. go to live.playstation.com
2. sign in to your playstation account via that page
3. click on the quest that'll give you a 20% off coupon for watching the Far Cry 5 trailer
4. watch the game trailer to get the coupon
5. this coupon can't be used for preorders, but is good until the end of April.
6. use the coupon to buy Dangun Feveron on 4/4.
7. $$$

(might be US/NA only)
I must say thank you for this. It did work (living in Europe, but created an US account), and give a 20% coupon on a purchase of multiple items. I can get both Garegga and Feveron for $56.
Will check some other games I could enjoy.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Domino

Post by Domino »

With the help of reckon luck, I got Feveron for $28.

It's so worth it. I do have Garegga but I have it for JP just so I can get the OST. I should just pick up the English version since having the English menus makes my life easier.

Now, Mahou Daisakusen international please.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I bought the JP digital, JP box, Korean physical, and US digital of Battle Garegga.
I bought the JP digital of Dangun, and now I've bought the U.S. one.
So, they are definitely getting my support.

That being said, they are INSANE with these prices. Just bonkers.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Yeah the pricing is a bit much, but I'm still glad to pay it given how much love and effort went into these ports.
Special World

Post by Special World »

So... what is the arrange mode like in this? Any good? Has anybody commented on it yet?
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

It's similar to Garegga's Premium mode in that it's very easy for survival but scoring involves a secret "special mode" that you want to activate via hidden conditions, just like Garegga Premium's max rank mode. Here are some of Icarus's notes about it.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Keres wrote:It's similar to Garegga's Premium mode in that it's very easy for survival but scoring involves a secret "special mode" that you want to activate via hidden conditions, just like Garegga Premium's max rank mode. Here are some of Icarus's notes about it.
Once you've triggered it you can bomb for score (cancelled bullets turn to cyborgs). If you end up with less than 3 extends in stock, the safety line will reactivate until you are back to 3 or more. It's great.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I'm not huge on Garegga's requirement system as I consistently fail to trigger it (even when I think I should be!)

But that does sound pretty rad.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Special World wrote:I'm not huge on Garegga's requirement system as I consistently fail to trigger it (even when I think I should be!)
Me either, it's cool when you trigger it and keep MAX active, but having to do that exactly bombing on stage 1 was pretty annoying with most ships (if even possible).
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Marc

Post by Marc »

I don't think the price is too bad for a quality port. My issue is they've priced themselves out of casual buying range - to the untrained eye there isn't a lot of difference between this, and the multitude of Arcade Archive titles at a sixth of the price. I'll be picking them up, but most of my friends ds who pick up the AA titles won't even give them a second glance at this price point.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Mikoto_a in that 56M replay of Fever arrange kills it on Stage 5, getting about 32M from that alone. There isn't really much suiciding for bomb refills (maybe once in one of the other stages) except at the TLB.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Marc wrote:I don't think the price is too bad for a quality port. My issue is they've priced themselves out of casual buying range - to the untrained eye there isn't a lot of difference between this, and the multitude of Arcade Archive titles at a sixth of the price. I'll be picking them up, but most of my friends ds who pick up the AA titles won't even give them a second glance at this price point.
Are a lot of people really impulse buying scrolling shooters though? It's a weird market.

I think people in the US market would respond well to a slick collection or bundle, say:
Dodonpachi, DOJ, DFK, SDOJ for $40
Battle Trilogy for $60

Etc. I think it was foolish for Cave never to capitalize on that. But I also don't have any sort of metrics to base that on. ShoTTriggers are weirdly priced, but I don't feel that they're necessarily losing out on anything by it. Those people in the know are going to plunk down $35 dollars for a well-made product, and there aren't *that* many people who aren't in the know who are in the market for scrolling shooters. Is how it seems to me, anyhow.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Special World wrote:I think people in the US market would respond well to a slick collection or bundle, say:
Battle Trilogy for $60

Etc. I think it was foolish for Cave never to capitalize on that.
It wasn't, because that's completely uneconomical. Like, 100% impractical. M2 can barely break even with these prices as it is. So you want them to do four games for the same price?
Special World

Post by Special World »

trap15 wrote:
Special World wrote:I think people in the US market would respond well to a slick collection or bundle, say:
Battle Trilogy for $60

Etc. I think it was foolish for Cave never to capitalize on that.
It wasn't, because that's completely uneconomical. Like, 100% impractical. M2 can barely break even with these prices as it is. So you want them to do four games for the same price?
There have been plenty of shmup developers who have released compilations. Raiden Fighters Aces, Milestone Shooting Collection, Muchi Muchi Pink, etc. And it wouldn't be unreasonable to release each game as a $35 digital release, and then somewhere down the line release a greatest hits package if they collect a viable group of games, such as the Battle Trilogy.

I was also speaking in general, not specifically about M2, who really shore up their ports. I think Cave was just plain dumb to not capitalize on a Dodonpachi collection in the western market. Even a DOJ/SDOJ or DDP/DOJ combo would have been really appealing at that price, as long as they gave it premium cover art and not some Wii Shooting Collection throwaway garbage. Something that plays to series pedigree and lineage, and not "here are the two covers, we split them down the middle to show you it's a compilation."
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

people only respond well to steam games for $1-$5
and then they don't play them anyways
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Someone was claiming (elsewhere) that this port introduced input lag.... is this true?

How did they handle the refresh rate being a tad under 60?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

It has (or had, dunno if it was fixed) input lag if you use a PS3 controller, but it's fine if you use a native PS4 controller. That's how it was for me, anyway.
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

With a PS4 controller I notice less lag than when I play in shmupmame.

They handled the Hz issue with a frame jump (if you don't see it, look at the stars in the background). I found it pretty distracting at first but after an hour or two got used to it.

___

So, one year later, and I never really got into the Fever mode after figuring out how it worked. I think it would have been more interesting if the safety line was a persistent dynamic to consider rather than something that just disappears if you're playing well -- from there, the main difference is just using bombs to score, but I don't like how discos are sucked into your ship from a generous distance -- makes it feel more like other Cave games and takes away some of the frenzied fun in trying to scoop them all up.

I got more out of the max rank (judgement of love) mode that you can turn on under custom settings. I think they should have made that one of the main modes with fixed extend settings and a scoreboard.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Wow, LRG really took their time with this one. But I'm glad that it's finally coming. Also glad that it's a open pre-order and not a 2-minute rush feast....

sharak

Post by sharak »

I jumped through a few hoops to get the US release as there was no physical, just a few months ago. Ironically not played it too much! Great game though.
The pricing is OK but with shipping and EU VAT on top it's going to be extremely expensive, and I have it digitally :/

I have until Friday to decide.
heli

Post by heli »

Hope they also have a normal version.
Will order friday as soon as possible.
Last edited by heli on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

will be up on LRG this coming friday.