Trouble Witches Origin! (PC/Steam) / Final! (PS/NS)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Magma Dragoon

Re: Trouble Witches Origin! (Steam)

Post by Magma Dragoon »

That's nice and all, but when's Episode 2?
Image Image Image Image
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Magma Dragoon wrote:That's nice and all, but when's Episode 2?
Still in development limbo, lol.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

DLC Characters from AC/Neo available now, $2.49 each, but better with a 4 character set which costs $6.16 US together. (Still blueballing that the characters were part of the base roster in their respective game[s].)

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/55 ... cter_Pack/
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

For those that still care about Trouble Witches (and possibly nothing coming out of the vaporwared 2nd episode), an additional update will be coming in Early December 2019 and will include 2 new DLC characters Yoko Redster and PeroPero.

http://studio-siesta.mails.ne.jp/two/we ... _en02.html

It will also come with a separate DLC pack (similar to that of Varstray's 3rd Force DLC in a sense) that will include an additional difficulty/mode (which you can strengthen yourself and the enemy), 2 new Magic Cards, and Training Mode (with Stage Select).

Those with the Physical disc version of TWO will get these add-ons free. Instructions on how to download the update for the physical version will be mentioned at a later date.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Bump since the Shmups Twitter reminded me that the aforementioned DLC stuff is finally out, as well as a pack of all three new items for a bit of a discount.
clippa

Post by clippa »

One thing that really put me off playing this game is that your score doesn't reset when you continue. I think I decided one day to carry on playing when I died just to get some practise and my eyes nearly popped out of my head.

Is it intentional or an oversight? It seems like such a daft thing to have in a game since there's nothing stopping you just going all out for score and taking as many risks as you like, just coin feeding to the finish.

I think the same thing happens in Kaikan too, I was playing it for a score competition and nobody had mentioned it and I only just realised like a day or two before the deadline and I was like "what the ...?!"

Am I missing something here? Is there ever any reason why this would be considered a good idea?
I feel like I should just maybe embrace it and play these games for fun, but it feels .... it just doesn't feel right.
blossom

Post by blossom »

I assume you mean there's not a digit added to the end of the score? If the score doesn't reset but still displays 1 or 2 or etc at the end, I'd say there's no real issue.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Oh right, yeah, I remember reading danbo saying that once, that it's a thing in shmup world, if your score has a wonky digit on the end then folk know you continued.

I hope that's the case, and yes, that'd make everything right again. Thanks, man. That makes perfect sense!

There we go, there's even a glossary entry for it - viewtopic.php?p=1083938#p1083938
Score Reset: Shmup feature which “resets” a player’s score to zero when he continues his game after losing all of his lives. Considered a necessity for any respectable shmup by many players, since it ensures that every player’s high score will always represent one credit of play time, and thus prevents the obtaining of high scores by continuing multiple times rather than surviving by skill.

Even in some shmups which do not altogether reset one’s score after continuing, however, the game will record how many times a player has continued over the course of a game via the last digit of the score column: in most shmups, all points scored by the player are received in multiples of ten, and thus the last digit of the score is normally a “0.” For instance, however, if a player continues his game for the first time the score will restart at “1” instead of “0,” and if he continues a second time it will restart at “2,” and so on. (To the best of my knowledge, no one’s come up with a specific, “accepted” term for this.)
Learning every day :D
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

(To the best of my knowledge, no one’s come up with a specific, “accepted” term for this.)
I propose "Digit of Shame". Or maybe "The Devil's Digit".
clippa

Post by clippa »

Haha, they sound appropriately seedy.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Yeah, while its silly that your score is kept when continuing, it doesn't really matter much when most of your score comes from high amounts of gold, maximum amount of star coin (5K) and no missing, which can be sorta difficult in higher difficulties.

Either way, I just got the newest DLC, have yet to tackle the 2 new characters properly yet and see what their story is about. That and the long ass delay when it was supposed to be released in Early Decemer when it actually got pushed back to Feb. 29/Mar. 1, oof. And while its dumb that practice mode is relegated as DLC when plenty of STG's include it in the base game and not as DLC (really facepalm worthy). But hey, checked out the Walpuris Night mode and its basically Hard/Hardest difficulty but you get lots of normal coins by shooting down a certain popcorn enemy. (Though the odds of that happening at times are 50/50).

There's also 2 new spell cards added, one being the Vector Laser, which is essentially a vertical barrier, but dunno how it works as a useable spell card as most. The other being the Truxton Thunder card, which basically is a card that shoots thunder and it auto targets at enemies, but the damage I seen is miniscule at best from far away. (Dunno if its viable up close.)
G3n3raL86

Post by G3n3raL86 »

Resurrecting the thread in order to ask something: Does the high score register on the leaderboards when playing story mode or not ?

P.S.: Hopefully we'll get Episode 2 anytime soon, too:3
RadiantAnsel

Post by RadiantAnsel »

G3n3raL86 wrote:Resurrecting the thread in order to ask something: Does the high score register on the leaderboards when playing story mode or not ?

P.S.: Hopefully we'll get Episode 2 anytime soon, too:3
As far I remember, yes, it does, every mode has it's own leaderboard
No fails are allowed.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

What's the official count for versions of this game by now?
NeoStrayCat

Re: Trouble Witches Origin! (PC/Steam) / Final! (PS/NS)

Post by NeoStrayCat »

BulletMagnet wrote:What's the official count for versions of this game by now?
Its a doozy, let me tell you, so far...

Vanilla PC version (2007, along with a 2.0 update patch.)
AC/Arcade version (2009, along with it running on Nesica X Live arcade service. AC mode is included in the home ports.)
NEO! (2011, Xbox 360, delisted in 2015.)
Origin! (2016, PC/Steam, later updates within time to add characters and modes as DLC.)
Final! (2023, PS/NS, [possibly a] complete edition of Origin with all the DLC included in the base game.)

And yet, Episode 2 is essentially vaporware.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

For those who care about Famitsu scores:
Nu-Final! got a pretty good one (31/40)
alamone

Post by alamone »

I ordered the regular edition from amazon japan. Even including the shipping, it's probably going to be cheaper than what Limited Run Games or whatever is going to shill to the western audience.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I got the doujin PC version from Himeyashop in 2008, but I ordered the PS4 standard edition anyway from CDJapan. The game has changed enough over the years I figured it was worth having this version too and Studio SiestA deserves the support. :D
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

The not Final version is $2.99 on steam right now. Not a bad price at all. Well worth it at $10 or $15.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Is the physical edition sold out everywhere, or did this get region blocked for US buyers?
I had this pre-ordered with Amazon but it hasn't shipped, and like a number of other recent releases it went to "Temporarily Unavailable" on the day of release.
Play Asia is showing expected restock in a number of days, but that doesn't always pan out. Was it really that popular that the physical sold out on release?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

geo blocking. Mine shipped from Amazon.jp and it's still available to order (both PS4 and SW).
miwa

Post by miwa »

It says mine has shipped from amazon.jp as well and is also still available for purchase. I live in Europe.
cfx

Post by cfx »

PS4 version has been sold out at CDJapan for quite some time though the Switch version is still available. My PS4 copy is being held for the release of Bloodstained Curse of the Moon Chronicles this week.

Amiami pre-sold out of all versions but that's not unusual with them; they typically don't restock after release.

HMV Japan appears to have never had it available for preorder.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Thank you all for the feedback on availability.
Here in the US, Amazon Japan is still showing "Temporarily Out of Stock" which has happened with a number of recent releases after the initial preorder availability. I wonder if this indicates there will be a western release. Seems LRG/Super Deluxe have cooperation with Amazon in enacting Geo blocking.
Anyhow, my preorder did finally ship today - not sure what was holding it up.

Notably there's a 1 star review up for this on Amazon saying it is too difficult to play!
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

I’ve been in Osaka since the game’s release date, going back home to the US tomorrow… and it took me some searching, but found Trouble Witches just today. Bic Camera had the PS4 version but no Switch. Although I wanted Switch more, decided to grab it on PS4 (and it came with a bonus magazine sized book!) Then an hour later, just happened to stumble into a new Switch copy at Book Off and grabbed that too. No book with it.

Wasn’t very easy to find though, does seem like the game might have had a fairly small print run.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I was curious and followed the links from the game's website to the various stores that are listed there with the various preorder bonuses. I only checked the PS4 version. I didn't keep a real count, but I think about half the shops no longer have it available but it was still orderable at the rest, though I also didn't pay enough attention to see if it was actually in stock since it takes some effort for me to read Japanese websites.

I also suspect a small print run. Will be interesting to see if it sold enough to make the next Famitsu top 30 on either console so there would be actual numbers, and maybe a hint of what that production number might have been.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Having trouble finding this digitally on PS5. Is it physical only?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

AGermanArtist wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:36 pm Having trouble finding this digitally on PS5. Is it physical only?
Not just physical, but digital too. You said the same question over in the Bullet Heaven review for this game, and Etrem88 gave you an answer if you didn't check it lately. But otherwise, like what he said, its only available in the Japanese PS and Nintendo E-Shops (already linked above by StarLightMoonLight), but I'll just put the PS one for quick reference.

https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/concept/10005606

Also, sometimes, certain titles in certain digital outlets might require you to type it in a specific language, since it won't show up on the search bar if you put it to English. But otherwise, you'll need a JP PSN account (easy to set up with tutorials anywhere you search), and a PSN Gift Card for that specific region too. (Also easy to find. Play-Asia has some.)

As for the physical version, you'll have to scour hard for it. Play-Asia (for example) don't have any PS4 copies in stock. But they do for Switch. Try also looking into auction shops (like Ebay), they'll have a few for decent prices.
---
Anyways, on topic, TW Origin is on the 2023 Steam Autumn Sale for $3 again until the 28th. (Along with its DLC and bundles discounted.), And Final has since been updated with Boss Attack added, Online Co-Op is coming in the future. A new character (Remiel) is also coming to Final with a now delayed release of 2/15/24. Studio Siesta mentioned on socials previously (in English) that they're going to release Final overseas in the future. (Even though the game already has English text.)
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Ah. thanks for the link. I didn't get a YT notification or an Email.
I'd been searching for every possible variation of the name with no luck and tried the same with Google Translate. Thanks again!