Caladrius Blaze PS4 Gets Physical English Release in Asia

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ceph

Caladrius Blaze PS4 Gets Physical English Release in Asia

Post by Ceph »

Fudoh

Re: Caladrius Blaze PS4 Gets Physical English Release in Asi

Post by Fudoh »

I guess the best news about this is that if Moss now got a PS4 publishing deal, Raiden V for PS4 can't be too far away.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

... well not that close either. The Caladrius Blaze PS4 port was announced in July 2015 and originally scheduled for a December 2015 release and there is still the Steam version of Blaze to come. And while the latest announcement came from Moss the driving force seems to be H2 Interactive.

What is puzzling is the Play-asia sales entry. Given that Raiden V is going for US$64.99 I think that at US$29.99 Blaze PS4 will not have a physical release - which would be in line with H2 Interactive's practices. So they must be planning to sell a DLC code to make it easier to download it globally from PSN Asia. But for the time being it doesn't say "this is a digital product" or "Digital Edition / Instant Download". Play-asia's write up isn't any more specific either. H2 Interactive doesn't typically do physical print runs, Moss shouldn't waste their money on a cheap physical release - so could Play-Asia be funding it? If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

I'm fully prepared to admit that I'm a graphics whore, but I just can't get past the fugly graphics in this game...
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I actually sent P-A the following query about this:
Hello, I have a quick question - can you tell me whether the upcoming Asia PS4 version of Caladrius Blaze (PAX0007952294) will include a physical game disc, or a download code only? Thank you in advance.
...and received a rather puzzling reply:
We regret to inform you that there is no information yet. However, this is a physical version. Hoping for your kind understanding.

Please feel free to contact us if you need any further information.

Best regards,

Ralph
Play-Asia.com Customer Support
Er, thanks, Ralph!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Yeah, not much to know that, but hey, $30 for a PS4 release of CB, sounds like a done deal, but the thing that bothers me more is that the PS3 version sold at P-A costs 4x more than that, lol. WTF are they smoking on, lol.

Either ways, surprised to see CB finally getting a release, but hopefully soon stateside, as it was kinda planned (Though it missed its supposed Q1 date), so yeah, gonna have to wait on that. Also the upcoming possible steam release someday too.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Ralph Play-Asia.com Customer Support wrote:We regret to inform you that there is no information yet. However, this is a physical version. Hoping for your kind understanding.
I have a feeling this is simply a two-way translation issue - but taken literally a "physical version" could simply be a game case with a DLC code card - though I'm not sure anybody pulled that stunt since 505 Games with the PS3/Xbox 360 version of Terraria.
NeoStrayCat wrote:but the thing that bothers me more is that the PS3 version sold at P-A costs 4x more than that, lol. WTF are they smoking on, lol.
In December 2014 they were dumping copies for US$14.99 - which makes me wonder if it was later a steady enough seller even at elevated/inflated prices - possibly steady enough to warrant Play-Asia bankrolling a PS4 print run and dumping just enough of it @US$29.99 to cover costs, only to later hike prices with the remaining stock.
NeoStrayCat wrote:but hopefully soon stateside.
Play-Asia would have additional incentive to bankroll a PS4 print run if (and that is a big IF) they already knew that a western PS4 PSN release is unlikely to happen. H2 Interactive could easily decide that it isn't worth dealing with regional, SCEA and SCEE's rules and regulations (at least in the short term) to put Blaze onto the western PSN stores. The "western release" could be limited to Steam.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

but taken literally a "physical version" could simply be a game case with a DLC code card - though I'm not sure anybody pulled that stunt since 505 Games with the PS3/Xbox 360 version of Terraria.
Nintendo with Mario vs. DK on the Wii U or the new Star Fox Zero Guard (in PAL regions). Biohazard Umbrella Corps will be a boxed DLC code in most territories (incl JP), but not in SE Asia. Others as well.

In general I don't think they could do a boxed DLC code for SE Asia, since there're too many different (incompatible) online stores in these regions. Would cause nothing but confusion.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

HydrogLox wrote:
Ralph Play-Asia.com Customer Support wrote:We regret to inform you that there is no information yet. However, this is a physical version. Hoping for your kind understanding.
I have a feeling this is simply a two-way translation issue - but taken literally a "physical version" could simply be a game case with a DLC code card - though I'm not sure anybody pulled that stunt since 505 Games with the PS3/Xbox 360 version of Terraria.
NeoStrayCat wrote:but the thing that bothers me more is that the PS3 version sold at P-A costs 4x more than that, lol. WTF are they smoking on, lol.
In December 2014 they were dumping copies for US$14.99 - which makes me wonder if it was later a steady enough seller even at elevated/inflated prices - possibly steady enough to warrant Play-Asia bankrolling a PS4 print run and dumping just enough of it @US$29.99 to cover costs, only to later hike prices with the remaining stock.
NeoStrayCat wrote:but hopefully soon stateside.
Play-Asia would have additional incentive to bankroll a PS4 print run if (and that is a big IF) they already knew that a western PS4 PSN release is unlikely to happen. H2 Interactive could easily decide that it isn't worth dealing with regional, SCEA and SCEE's rules and regulations (at least in the short term) to put Blaze onto the western PSN stores. The "western release" could be limited to Steam.
You're really rocking all the big theories for a simple release. It's most likely a small run, physical disc. The $29.99 price point isn't surprising seeing as the game has been around for years now and already had a 360/PS3 release. You really think there's a ton of "incentive for PA to bankroll" a run of a game that for most accounts, didn't do very well in the first place? Seems like a simple re-release to me. I agree with the poster above, a plastic case with a DLC card would make no sense seeing as there are multiple store fronts from multiple regions. Too much headache.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

ATTRACTS wrote:The $29.99 price point isn't surprising seeing as the game has been around for years now and already had a 360/PS3 release.
We are not talking about Nintendo doing a "Nintendo Selects" re-release here. And I actually find this surprising on two counts.
ATTRACTS wrote:You really think there's a ton of "incentive for PA to bankroll" a run of a game that for most accounts, didn't do very well in the first place?
Before the bargain basement PS4 Play-Asia listing that possibility would have never occurred to me. Given that we all believe that "the game didn't do that well" it is surprising:
  • That the PS4 version would a have a physical disc release at all (in this day and age).
  • That the physical release would hit the market at a bargain price.
That the PS4 version would a have a physical disc release at all.
  • H2 Interactive is basically a digital publisher. Caladrius Blaze seems like an unlikely reason for the leopard to change it's spots.
  • MOSS didn't bother with a physical release for PS3 Raiden IV Overkill - which was more than a mere port. So why do a physical release for a product that already had one on the PS3 (and presumably didn't do that well for MOSS)? The general assumption is that digital distribution is cheaper (though the service-provider's cut may be more damaging to the bottom line than we realize) - so a physical release for a niche product would seem a bit frivolous.
That the physical release would hit the market at a bargain price.
  • Even a minor PS4 physical release like Assault Suit Leynos hit Play-Asia last December at US$49.99 (already up to US$54.99 now). So US$29.99 for PS4 Caladrius Blaze seems to be low-balling it a bit.
  • The list price for the PS3 physical (and digital) release of Caladrius Blaze was ¥7344 (~US$66). US$29.99 seems a likely price for an introductory digital on-line store re-release but I would expect at least US$39.99 for the physical version. However this isn't without precedent. In late 2012 (almost 4 years ago) Rising Star Games put Under Defeat HD Deluxe on the US PSN for $29.99 and sold the physical release as an Amazon.com exclusive for the same price.
So basically there seems to be very little incentive for either H2 Interactive or MOSS to invest the effort to organize a physical release. For the time being there is no claim that the physical release is a Play-Asia exclusive but other vendors have yet to list it. Play-Asia's business largely depends on shipping physical product and in recent years their prices seem to vary inversely proportional to their quantity on hand/availability (i.e. business isn't just about moving fresh product AmiAmi-style). That made me wonder if they are expanding their business practices towards fostering physical releases. If Video Games Plus can get a Xenoblades Chronicles (full price) reprint out of Nintendo then Play-Asia might be able to get a physical release out of MOSS (for a price).

Limiting the digital release to PSN Asia translates at best to additional "culturally appropriate content adjustments" before worldwide release, at worst to no release in other PSN regions. Either way the constraints should (inadvertently?) improve Play-Asia's sales at least in the short term.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

ATTRACTS wrote: You're really rocking all the big theories for a simple release. It's most likely a small run, physical disc.
Indeed. The easiest explanation is usually right. Maybe he simply isn't very good at logic. Just look at how he didn't get that "Neo", the code name of the upcoming PS4 revision was a Matrix reference, like "Morpheus" for PS VR, and thought it was an anagram of "One", as in "Xbox One". (LOL)
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1181421
And instead of admitting his error he then tried to wiggle out of it. Gotta love arguing with people like that.

Fact: Sony has allowed print runs of 2000 discs or less on PS4, and a price of less than $30 for such releases isn't unusual, either. Examples: Retro City Rampage DX, 2000 copies, $25. Saturday Morning RPG, 1980 copies, $24.99.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Ceph wrote:
ATTRACTS wrote: You're really rocking all the big theories for a simple release. It's most likely a small run, physical disc.
Indeed. The easiest explanation is usually right. Maybe he simply isn't very good at logic. Just look at how he didn't get that "Neo", the code name of the upcoming PS4 revision was a Matrix reference, like "Morpheus" for PS VR, and thought it was an anagram of "One", as in "Xbox One". (LOL)
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1181421
And instead of admitting his error he then tried to wiggle out of it. Gotta love arguing with people like that.

Fact: Sony has allowed print runs of 2000 discs or less on PS4, and a price of less than $30 for such releases isn't unusual, either. Examples: Retro City Rampage DX, 2000 copies, $25. Saturday Morning RPG, 1980 copies, $24.99.
lol. yeah, he's all about the long explanations/theories. I agree with you about the small runs. There are plenty out there already, this wouldn't be much different.
system11

Post by system11 »

If it happens I'll buy it. I don't hugely like the game but just to support physical releases of shmups.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

The game has been rated by PEGI.
Not that the original came out.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

AxelMill wrote:The game has been rated by PEGI.
Unless I'm not confused by your wording, it did...overseas...digitally, and beforehand, it was also PEGI rated a couple of times, hovering an overseas release.
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

NeoStrayCat wrote:
Unless I'm not confused by your wording, it did...overseas...digitally, and beforehand, it was also PEGI rated a couple of times, hovering an overseas release.
Oh, it really did. Oops.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Cool, I guess MOSS has gotten the hang of self-publishing in the West.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

I hate to make such questions, but I'm going to, because my family exists and I live with them.

Can you turn off people getting 95% naked every time they're shot down or do I have to play it via remote play on my Vita?
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

AxelMill wrote:I hate to make such questions, but I'm going to, because my family exists and I live with them.

Can you turn off people getting 95% naked every time they're shot down or do I have to play it via remote play on my Vita?
Yes, at least it was possible in the PS3 version.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Alternate listing at yesasia.com for US$34.99. Identified release date 2016-06-30 - but that could simply be a placeholder given that the publisher is identified as "Carol Moss".
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

HydrogLox wrote:Alternate listing at yesasia.com for US$34.99. Identified release date 2016-06-30 - but that could simply be a placeholder given that the publisher is identified as "Carol Moss".
I have my preorder via Play-Asia and I emailed them yesterday to see what the deal was. They said they are "still waiting on a confirmed release date". Starting to feel like it won't be this month.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

HydrogLox wrote:Identified release date 2016-06-30 - but that could simply be a placeholder given that the publisher is identified as "Carol Moss".
And now every time I see a Raiden game I'll automatically picture Carol Burnett in the fighter's cockpit.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Recently got a newsletter from playasia mentioning that the PS4 port would be coming out sometime this month.

Still no explicit confirmation that it is physical, but the preorder message mentions it is expected to ship in June, of course that could also be a generic preorder message.

Page also mentions that it works on systems from all regions, which may imply a disc release.
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

I pre-ordered from Play-Asia and I'm definitely expecting a physical copy (on disc).

Never played it before so I'm looking forward to having another PS4 shootie soon.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

So play asia's listing for the port has an exact date now, but it's for August 4th instead of June now D:
Jelloman581

Post by Jelloman581 »

Just got email saying release date is 8/4/16, ship date is 8/5/16. Bummer :(
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Yeah...wouldn't expect it to be out sooner, but later it seems.
Jelloman581

Post by Jelloman581 »

Another email from Play-Asia this morning, updated release date to Aug 10th, shipping Aug 11th.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Yeah, and now the official KR/US site of Caladrius Blaze on the PS4 also mentions a 8/10/16 release date.

http://www.h2games.co.kr/caladriusblaze/en/

Well, it also mentions worldwide, so US/EU digital mentions sometime soon? Besides the Asia physical release tho.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

I just preordered. I really hope this is on disc and not a code.
Fu..ing codes in cases. Man was I on rage as I bought God of War Saga and not all games included were on disc.

Edit: Got it and its a disc and all in english and has a nice case and instruction book.
Last edited by Shadolf on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.