13th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time - Results

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Strikers1945guy

Re: 13th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time - Results

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Herr Schatten wrote:Surprisingly well-rounded list. As usual, the honorable mentions are even more interesting than the top 25 due to the variety.

Shame about Gunbird 2, if that's not top 25 material, I don't know what is. I'm generally concerned by the apparent lack of Psikyo love. Also, no Shiki II? You people.
I think I voted for 5 Psikyo games. The Strikers 1945 & Gunbird series are phenomenal games. Sad to see Strikers 1945 II drop so low on the top 25. I think many people try psikyo games and have a hard time from the beginning with super fast bullets, larger hit boxes, and random selection for early stages so they quit early on.

Guess I should have put Shikigami II in an honorable mentions list. I do like the grazing bullets element, although I think Ibara Kuro mastered that scoring system. Not a fan of the Psyvariar series however.
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
Strikers1945guy

Illyrian wrote:Lol people only voted for Battle Garegga because they want to seem like "smart" shmup fans.

Everyone knows Garegga isn't as good as Batrider.
And yet both of those pale in comparison to the almighty Garegga 2 AKA Ibara :twisted:
d0s

Post by d0s »

Illyrian wrote:Lol people only voted for Battle Garegga because they want to seem like "smart" shmup fans.
WHOA! don't cut yourself on those edgy opinions there man!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

louisg wrote:Don't blame me. I voted for Soukyugurentai ;)
+1

I totally went the "stuff you feel is underrated" route with a huge chunk of mine. :)
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I kind of love APB and Garegga equally.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
royalfan84

Post by royalfan84 »

I love Garegga and Batrider pretty equally as well. And Bakraid is pretty darn awesome as well.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

True. Batrider > Bakraid > Garegga. Garegga is easily the most overrated shmup around here. It didn't deserve a spot on my list to be honest. I used to be sick of seeing it at the top but now I don't care because it's just from a cult following. Its complex mechanics are simply overrated. I bet only a handful of people here have really mastered it, the rest are just following along with the majority. Yeah, I'm probably shit at it but that wasn't a reason for me not voting for it. Also, I'm glad to see a Raiden in the top 10, but Raiden DX > RFJ any day.
Squire Grooktook

There is no cult. People like it because they like it. Whether you've mastered it or are playing at a casual level, it's a really fun game that agrees with many peoples tastes.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Garegga is more hardcore than Batrider.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

At some point on the popularity curve the hipster thing to do is drag the most acclaimed game in the mud.

Is this finally Garegga's turn ?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Looking through the votes, the only three people that put Garegga as their #1 are Eaglet, the best overall Garegga player in this community, Icarus, the game's biggest advocate, and myself, who played Garegga pretty much exclusively for the entirety of 2015. All three prime examples of people who don't actually play the game and are just voting for it for cool points. :roll:

If what you're actually complaining about is that a lot of people put it somewhere in the middle of their lists, guess what, that's probably also the reason that so many Cave games make the cut every year.

Honestly, I don't even know why I participated in this, I never have in prior years. If this is how it's going to be, I may not bother again either.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Keres wrote:If this is how it's going to be, I may not bother again either.
It's worth it though, just to see Taito games respected again.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I kind of love APB and Garegga equally.
royalfan84 wrote:I love Garegga and Batrider pretty equally as well. And Bakraid is pretty darn awesome as well.
This.
chempop wrote:Garegga is more hardcore than Batrider.
In terms of characters, gameplay and scoring system, Batrider is.
chempop

Post by chempop »

chempop wrote:Garegga is more hardcore than Batrider.
copy-pastor wrote:In terms of characters, gameplay and scoring system, Batrider is.
In terms of what YAGAWA SAYS, Garegga is more hardcore.
I love them equally, but batrider only took me 10 months to destroy, while garegga I've been playing for years and barely scratched the surface.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

chempop wrote: while garegga I've been playing for years and barely scratched the surface.
This.
Im playing Garegga often and have one of my cabs dedicated for it....but still have only scratched the surface.
Once in Kawasaki I watched Kamui play it and saw the magic abyss that this game is, it was an shmup religious experience.
d0s

Post by d0s »

Furry Fox Jet Pilot wrote: I bet only a handful of people here have really mastered it, the rest are just following along with the majority.
I haven't mastered it and I've been playing it for a more than a decade and that's exactly why it's on my list, wtf is this salty shit
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

d0s wrote:
Furry Fox Jet Pilot wrote: I bet only a handful of people here have really mastered it, the rest are just following along with the majority.
I haven't mastered it and I've been playing it for a more than a decade and that's exactly why it's on my list, wtf is this salty shit
Yeah didn't you know you can only appreciate a game when you're the 1337 playorz ? also of course a game's value is only about its mechanics. :wink:
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

It would appear to me that the people saying "Batrider is more hardcore/is better than Garegga" here are the people who know absolutely nothing about either game.
accessibility != being hardcore
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

only one person has said that.
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

Strikers1945guy wrote:
I think I voted for 5 Psikyo games. The Strikers 1945 & Gunbird series are phenomenal games. Sad to see Strikers 1945 II drop so low on the top 25. I think many people try psikyo games and have a hard time from the beginning with super fast bullets, larger hit boxes, and random selection for early stages so they quit early on.
I think it's the second loops honestly which to alot of people are a deeply frustrating brand of instant bum rape upon first impression, i love psikyo games regardless though but can see how it builds nerd rage in others.

I'm not why anyone would bother pitching batrider against garegga the fact is at a high level both games are clearly "hardcore" outside of that you are free to have your preferences for each one. Illryian is either just trolling or genuinely butt blasted over people liking certain games that he doesn't agree with.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

chempop wrote:In terms of what YAGAWA SAYS, Garegga is more hardcore.
I love them equally, but batrider only took me 10 months to destroy, while garegga I've been playing for years and barely scratched the surface.
I dunno, the amount of optimization and execution potential in Batrider across all sorts of techniques and tricks is simply unreal, as well as the huge variety of different strategic possibilities. Even the highest western scores are far behind the world record, and the world record is quite a bit behind what a TAS can achieve. It's incredible that after over 15 years there's still so much room for improvement. I would agree that Garegga's more "hardcore" in the sense that it's less friendly and approachable, but in terms of sheer depth and breadth I beg to differ.

I had a hard time deciding between Batrider and Garegga in my vote. I like Garegga's graphics and soundtrack more, as well as its pacing across the game as a whole (that atmosphere in the latter half!), but individual stages and moments within the stages tend to be more interesting to me in Batrider, especially comparing the early stages of the two. Batrider's rank system makes more sense to me but I don't like how unforgiving it is with stocking extends, and I think the long-term effect of raising autofire rate in Garegga is a really interesting idea for the pacing of the game. Bosses in Batrider are more varied and are better in many ways (and there's a whole lot more of them too), but somehow the best bosses in Garegga feel more memorable to me and I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's their elegant designs, maybe it's how Black Heart keeps making cameos in other shmups (including Batrider), maybe it's something else, I don't know. I like the feel of most of the characters in Batrider more than the ships in Garegga, though I blame that on me getting too used to Miyamoto in Garegga to play anything else without feeling underpowered (Gain is also powerful but just really hard to use). It's a tough choice and I almost gave them tied scores, but eventually gave Batrider a slight edge.

Bakraid's an entirely different beast, unlike any other Yagawa game. My frustration with some of its quirks kept me from giving it as high a score as Batrider and Garegga, but I think it's the most interesting out of the three, and probably the most intriguing shmup I've ever come across.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Icarus wrote:
It would appear to me that the people saying "Batrider is more hardcore/is better than Garegga" here are the people who know absolutely nothing about either game.
accessibility != being hardcore
I didn't say that. Garegga is more hardcore, but it's not as good!
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
qmish

Post by qmish »

Batrider is kind of best Raizing game, but don't dismiss Garegga because it's more popular! :shock:

as for Bakraid... were they trying to cosplay Psikyo with it? 0o
Strikers1945guy

Furry Fox Jet Pilot wrote:

It didn't deserve a spot on my list to be honest. I used to be sick of seeing it at the top but now I don't care because it's just from a cult following.
No disrespect but how can you say Garegga has a cult following when you are the leader of the "Raiden is the best thing ever" cult? How many Raiden games were on your top 25? The entire series? :lol:

Wow just checked you've got 8, all before any other shmup by any other developer. That's cool and all its all personal preference but you can't call Garegga fans or Yagawa fans a cult when the first 8 games of your top 25 consist of nothing but Raiden, including the god awful Raiden III.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

arguing about your game being more hardcore instead of practicing to become hardcore yourself
this is why gaijin will be forever baka
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

What does "more hardcore" even mean?

Putting Batrider over Garegga is pretty silly though. Both are excellent games but as we all have just heard, only smart people play and vote for Garegga. They also like to read Nietzsche which makes them better people as such. And more intelligent. And more hardcore.

So basically: Vote for Garegga or people will laugh at you.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Strikers1945guy

Plasmo wrote:What does "more hardcore" even mean?

Putting Batrider over Garegga is pretty silly though. Both are excellent games but as we all have just heard, only smart people play and vote for Garegga. They also like to read Nietzsche which makes them better people as such. And more intelligent. And more hardcore.

So basically: Vote for Garegga or people will laugh at you.
Thank you icycalm
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Wow, what a discussion.

Anyway, in regards to the whole Garegga - Batrider debate;
From what I've learned personally, Batrider is a lot more frustrating playing for score. The amount of RNG heavy bosses means that luck is probably an even bigger factor than in Garegga. Also easier to game over due to Advanced rank and extend system.
Garegga on the other hand is MUCH more execution heavy when it comes to scoring. For every trick to be successful throughout the game you must have flawless execution and adaptation to the RNG and rank.

Just my two cents.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Squire Grooktook

Bananamatic wrote:arguing about your game being more hardcore instead of practicing to become hardcore yourself
Why on earth would anyone ever want to be hardcore

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Why on earth would anyone ever want to be hardcore
+1
softcore is underrated