Time Bokan: to Ippatsu impressions

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
captain ahar

Time Bokan: to Ippatsu impressions

Post by captain ahar »

it is fun to look at and play, but it certainly won't be stealing my attention from the likes of Gunbird 2 or Gradius Gaiden. another snag is at times it seems impossible to not get hit, and while you have a life bar it is still irksome. it's also a bit strange to see the vehicle selection (deja vu to Space Zonk!). i haven't spent a great deal of time with it, but i am happy to have gotten a chance to play it!

couple questions as well:
1) In Bokandesayo does the game area still edge off the screen that far? This got to be rather irritating to me.

2) Did (Will) the anime series get localized for american consumption? Cause this is some seriously cool art, and funny!

RANDOM NOTE: concerning the trio of bad... people, it is strange to see the same archtypes used in Gunbird 2. i understand that this may be more common than i might think.
I have no sig whatsoever.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

As far as Bokan Desu Yo goes, yeah, the playing area is wider than the screen, though I'm not sure how far is "that far"...I ought to note, though, that the Bokan games are hardly the only shmups to have playable areas beyond the screen's edge. The one thing that confuses me most about the gameplay is the fact that sometimes when I get hit I just lose a section of my life bar, as should be usual, but other times something hits me and I'm either instantly squished or put right on the brink of it...I'm still trying to figure out exactly what determines the difference. That and what some of the collectible icons do...and why they didn't include a high score save! :evil:

As far as I know the original anime was never released in the West, though I could be wrong...I hafta say I love the concept though, playing as the villains, fighting valiantly against the suffocating forces of good. :mrgreen:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The TV series of Time Bokan isn't in the US, but the OVAs have been released here recently. Unfortunetly, this review doesn't give me too good of an impression of the OVAs. http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc ... s/3541.php
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

It's a retro anime. If you don't like old school anime, you probably won't like it. I think most punks aged 22 and under would hardly find any joy in watching Gatchaman, since they weren't around to enjoy it the first time.
jp

Post by jp »

I 1CC'd this on the Saturn awhile back. Not too bad of a game, but I haven't touched it since truth be told.

Good music though. 8)
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I 1cc this too, on PSX. It's cool. The real trick is to learn which vehicle to use at certain time, remembering you won't be able to pick up it for the next stage. I sorta like Bokan to Ippatsu more than its sequel Bokandesuyo.

The evil/funny trio of characters starred in a lot of Tatsunoko old anime series. Actually, each stage you see in the game is centered on a different series. Yattaman is probably the most known, but there were also Zendaman, Ippatsuman, Itadakiman...and the original Time Bokan of course.

If you can, try to watch the anime, they're really funny and you'll enjoy the game more. :)
X - P - B
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

It's quite a fun game indeed, and especially the ingame graphics are very nice.
I have only gotten it wednesday so I haven't gotten very far yet since I only played it for an hour or so.
I love the little touches like when the parade of pigs with little flags bring you into the battleground all cheering and stuff.
I was wondering though what the options in the option-menu all are.
The button asignment is obvious as is the "credit" thin but what are the other options for? Also do you have unlimited "bombs"?
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote: Actually, each stage you see in the game is centered on a different series. Yattaman is probably the most known, but there were also Zendaman, Ippatsuman, Itadakiman...and the original Time Bokan of course.
Is there a stage based on Gatchaman?
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i can say for sure that you have unlimited bombs. however, the Option menu i cannot help with. though it is something i've been wondering about.
maybe some experimenting is in order?
I have no sig whatsoever.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BrianC wrote:Is there a stage based on Gatchaman?
No. Although it's a Tatsunoko anime from those years, Gatchaman is not part of the "Time Bokan" series. It's too serious and doesn't feature the lovely trio of baddies.

Gatchaman does have its own shmup, however. Although I've heard it's nowhere as fun as Doronbo/Bokandesuyo
BulletMagnet wrote:The one thing that confuses me most about the gameplay is the fact that sometimes when I get hit I just lose a section of my life bar, as should be usual, but other times something hits me and I'm either instantly squished or put right on the brink of it...I'm still trying to figure out exactly what determines the difference. That and what some of the collectible icons do...
Different vehicles have different stats, and some are weaker than others. Perhaps I could help with those icons, as I own the italian manual of Bokandesuyo... Which ones puzzle you?
X - P - B