Apparently Reddit has a shmups board

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
qmish

Re: Apparently Reddit has a shmups board

Post by qmish »

actually calling r/shmups ghosttown or smth felt weird..

it was pretty active comparing to other niche subs, well, even with that crazy mod
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

NTSC-J wrote:that's not any worse than stuff like "why aren't there more shmups where you fly helicopters?"
Hey now, this is a very serious and pressing issue that deserves to be discussed extensively.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

The Elite Dangerous and VR-Communities on Reddit have been my Home for the last few years. Those are good people, and I had many an interesting and/or funny conversation.

The shmups sub though... haven't visited in ages, no need to.
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
RiderKick

Post by RiderKick »

NTSC-J wrote:
RiderKick wrote:It explains why there isn't much content at least, and why the more popular threads seem to be a generic "Recommend me some shumps!" thread and one asking people how...the genre could become more popular or ways to make more people try shumps?
Are you describing the shmups reddit or this forum? We don't get too many recommendation threads (I think the mods take care of them when they do appear), but that latter question is an all-time favorite here and it shows up in some form or another every month or so. In fact, it seems to be so irresistible and perplexing a subject that this very thread has now turned into a discussion on the topic. Hell, you started getting into it, too. Not knocking you for it, I'm just saying it's not a surprise if the reddit kids also want to solve that timeless riddle.
Yeah, now that i think about it, it is something of a good topic, we really even started talking about 1CC's and how to tell people to do them(which i still think is the wrong thing to say to a newbie) in the future.

I guess it's just a topic many people that are fans of something niche ask each other, how to make what we love more popular, i just noticed that on Reddit, a recommendation thread and the "How to make this genre more popular" thread were the ones with the most replies.

By the way, according to that thread on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/shmups/comment ... enre_more/
They seem to think that introducing more shump mechanics in other games could be a good thing and bring some attention(like Nier Automata), less bullet hell games and having...a big event like Games Done Quick focusing on shmups across all platforms where gamers show their skills and do some challenges for charity?

Though at least someone there points out that there already some events with shumps in them.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Shit mod came back and banned me, he also banned the only other active mod as well. Don't bother using /r/shmups anymore. We'll try to see if we can get /r/danmaku started as a more casual board of shmups discussion on reddit.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Oniros wrote:
Mod wrote:How dare you pick out a few out-of-context things to smear me. You are not welcome.
lmfao, is this guy for real?
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

Oniros wrote:Shit mod came back and banned me, he also banned the only other active mod as well. Don't bother using /r/shmups anymore. We'll try to see if we can get /r/danmaku started as a more casual board of shmups discussion on reddit.
I know what the hell! Your Danmaku Unlimited 3 thread got removed, and I was in middle of competing in it. I had just posted a 1.1 billion score and was waiting for sh0 to fire back with his own score.
qmish

Post by qmish »

So it's even more autistic than neogeo forum :|
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Update: Mark_MSX started a new sub. Details here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64130
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Vampire_Saviour

Post by Vampire_Saviour »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Reddit doesn't understand SHMUPs or the mentality behind arcade games at all. It also refuses to learn. Pretty much any comment attempting to educate the Reddit masses on the value of the 1CC, or behind quarter munching and interesting challenge, ends up somewhere in the middle of a thread without any replies.

Okay, maybe they get fighting games. But that's about it. Believe me when I say I've looked. If you had enough people linking to a better-written version of "Arcade Culture" over the course of a year you might get somewhere, but what's the point?

https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comme ... allenging/
I'd say that they don't even understand fighting games. One look at most of the front pages of boards for fighting games, and there are posts that echo the cry of the scrub. For example, it's accepted on r/tekken to complain about "spammers."

EDIT: many more people post about fgs on reddit though since they have a popular appeal. Big combos and hype moments in tournaments have drawn a new layer of players with a mixed understanding of the arcade roots of fighting games.