Xenon 2 Megablast - Mega Drive vs. Master system or Neither

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MJR

Re: Xenon 2 Megablast - Mega Drive vs. Master system or Neit

Post by MJR »

Turrican wrote:
MJR wrote:Oh my. If I had known, back in the day, it would have been soo much easier to 1cc this game, because I would have always had enough left for autofire/extra heart/nashwan/you name it :D
Yeah, nashwan, advice, everything Is fair as long as you empty your pockets, otherwise you're losing It anyway.

Getting back to the twin snake boss a moment... Here's a possibile explanation for this. I think it's just too clean for this to be a bug...

I'm sure you all have noticed that Xenon 2 is guilty of another "blasphemy" for genre aficionados: the game takes record of how much damage you inflict to bosses, and respawns you with a convenient checkpoint at them. Basically, if you take out 90% of energy from a boss and lose a life to It, you respawn there and destroy the remaining 10% with a few shots...

Maybe in this mechanic lies the secret of the twin snake, because It occurs to me when I die... Maybe they just wanted to make sure that the snake fight did pose a challenge regardless of life loss... MJR, could you try on the Amiga to see if you can get the double snake at all?
To see if there are 2 snakes instead of one in the 2nd/3rd loop? Sure, that gives me a nice excuse to play it. Funny thing is, I never used to play the second/third loop back in the day - it didn't even occur to me that they would be different to play. I always shut the game down after 1cc XD ..would be interesting to see how far could I get if I actually tried.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

No, I think you can get two snakes even in the first loop. The catch is, It seems to appear when you lose a life against it. Lose a life against the snake: then respawn, maybe try to use rear propulsors a bit, to scroll the screen downwards... From the craters at the sides of the screen there should appear a couple of snakes.
X - P - B
MJR

Post by MJR »

That's interesting, because I genuinely can't remember if that part had one or two snakes in it. Too many years. OK, I have a look at both loops (I have original disks installed in WHDload on A1200 so at least it should be 'legit' version)
MJR

Post by MJR »

Played yesterday until last boss, getting 2 autofires is definitely a wrist-saver :p anyway, there was only one snake. I did kill my ship and re-entered the area, and it was still one snake.

I guess I'll try to enter 2nd loop to see if there is any difference.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Interesting curio I stumbled across today: the ridiculous "in character" Review of Xenon 2 which gave the game a 100% score. I've mentioned this before because I remember reading it as an eleven-year-old and I have to say many a school-yard spat were resolved with the unconquerable retort of "Yeah, well it got 100%".

Truly a piece of Xenon 2 history - a testament to how over-hyped this game was, I've been looking for this review for a long time. Turns out it was archived here.

For further lols, view RoseTintedSpectrum's dramatic reading.
Spoiler
KYAG is an acronym for Kiss Your Ass Goodbye!
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Is isn't this game avaiable on the Atari Jaguar gaming platform as well? Here it is: https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l= ... ail&p=1087

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Austin

Post by Austin »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Is isn't this game avaiable on the Atari Jaguar gaming platform as well? Here it is: https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l= ... ail&p=1087

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Yes. It’s a port of the ST version with some added features.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Fired this one up today after more than a decade away from the game (haven't played since round about the time of that blog I wrote). I'm really not enjoying my stay in the Berenstain Universe - turns out the tomato rush on 2-2 definitely does give you points now.

Very weird how weapons stack in this game. You can equip sideshots and homing missiles at the same time, but if you pick up the missiles while carrying the drone, they will replace your sideshots. It might not ever be worth getting the drone - stack up on lives for the later loops instead.

Triggered a weird bug in winuae. Died at the 5-1 tank boss and it continued to attack from offscreen when I restarted from the checkpoint, it's yellow laser firing down the middle of the screen for the remainder of the stage until we met up again.

Much more interested in the first game now.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Interesting curio I stumbled across today: the ridiculous "in character" Review of Xenon 2 which gave the game a 100% score. I've mentioned this before because I remember reading it as an eleven-year-old and I have to say many a school-yard spat were resolved with the unconquerable retort of "Yeah, well it got 100%".

Truly a piece of Xenon 2 history - a testament to how over-hyped this game was, I've been looking for this review for a long time. Turns out it was archived here.
And yet this ridiculous review is more entertaining than 90% of the modern shite Eurogamer and IGN are throwing at its readers today.
Xenon 2's constant style over substance would make a glorious kusoge mobile game...just like Sword of Sodan :lol: