Deathsmiles on Steam: What do you want?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Frenetic

Deathsmiles on Steam: What do you want?

Post by Frenetic »

Hi there,

Didn't see a discussion thread on its own, so decided to create one.

Will forward these responses to Degica. Let's get our voices heard!

I for one, would like to see the other character from the mobile version, maybe some cameos from "Gothic wa Mahou Otome: Sassato Keiyaku Shinasai!"

Cheers,
F
Observer

Re: Deathsmiles on Steam: What do you want?

Post by Observer »

Exactly what you mentioned. It would be nice for it to be the most comprehensive version in terms of content and options for presevation purposes. (All the pertinent screen options, support for 360/One/PS4 pads/arcade sticks, a replay option if it didn't exist before)

It would be nice to have all the music released as well. If in FLAC too that would be great since Mushi OST only had the original music and a couple of arranges but none of the rest (so I hope that gets added later on too). Audiophiles need their schmukmup music fix!
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Personally I would love to see the Mega Black Label DLC with the game and I want to ask if it's possible it'll happen at some point, I want to damn fight that Bloody Jitterbug!
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I feel that asking CAVE to do more than port the 360 version almost exactly as is will cause a million problems.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

It's already confirmed to be coming with Black Label.

Arcade mode slowdown is already good, so please work on getting the slowdown in MBL more accurate.

As nice as it would be for them to port the Mobile version's extra mode with actual good controls instead of touch stuff and without the pay 2 win crap, I realize it's not going to happen probably or if it did, it'd have to be as a DLC.

At the moment, the only things they have as a possible DLC is Full Voice(which I don't view as worth it).

I'm having trouble thinking of stuff other than fix MBL slowdown(because it being different in MBL Arcade and MBL 360 mode and neither being accurate is horrible), or porting stuff like the Mobile Mode in some form. I think there was a Matsuri mode that was never ported either.

It really needs some extra modes(or fixed MBL slowdown) if you're going to want to charge as much as you did with Mushihimesama. Yeah, I realize not everyone has a 360, but IIRC the game is $15 on Games on Demand and comes with every mode. The only benefit of the Steam release if you already have the 360 version is going to be having global leaderboards(assuming it's just the same modes as 360 and no slowdown fixes), and who knows if any of the good players will actually be picking the game up on Steam to make use of that.

Of course, I have no idea how much they plan to charge for it anyway.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well, other than what's already mentioned in previous threads relating to DeathSmiles for Steam.

1. Porting over the 360 release with more content they can try and add over to it. Hopefully the Mobile port stuff if possible.
2. DLC in senses. Since its based on the NA/EU 360 port, it is the complete release with MBL included, so don't worry. Full Voice DLC will also be available, along with the OST. (Prices and info related to the Voice/OST thing haven't been much revealed yet.)
3. The localization (story text) in spades, we've already mentioned plenty of times to change the accent localization to hopefully a much more faithful one. (That includes Casper, Follet, and Rosa obviously.), and possibly the option to just skip story scenes entirely rather than having to press the A/B buttons (based on X360 controls) to skip text and not the entire scene(s).

And that's really just it, anything more, others would know. (Also, Chaos, DeathSmiles, for its price, will probably be similar to Mushihimesama, $20, unknown yet if of any launch discounts or promo offers, but it might be more than likely.)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Chaos Phoenixma

Well for one, disable the continues in Score Attack mode.

A skip story setting(for the ones during gameplay since endings can already be skipped) would be pretty nice. I'm not sure how much time the few story sequences add to the run. Hopefully, it wouldn't cause any issue with replays or anything though.

And on the subject of Full Voice, I remember it being mentioned that it disabled achievements like any other nondefault setting if you enabled it. Change it so that it does not disable the achievements if you choose to use it(same goes for the one above, don't disable achievements if a story skip thing was included and it's enabled).

No idea if you're going to have online co-op or scrap it like Strania did, but if it's kept, allow co-op in more than just the arcade mode.

Also on the subject of achievements, change the 1.1 achievements to be unlockable in Score Attack as well. Every other achievement could be unlocked in Normal Play or Score Attack, but Score Attack disabled the 1.1 achievements for some reason.

Also, even though the Steam port is based on the US/EU release, the Steam Achievements list should be based on the Japanese achievement list. Yes this includes stuff like Deathsmiles MBL Virtuoso (level 999 instead of level 3 with both Ex Stages), the one for 1ccing MBL 1.1 with Folett and picking a certain ending, and everything else that was in that list but not the US/EU list.

The US/EU list did have one achievement the JP version didn't(choosing to stay with Sakura in a co-op game), so maybe it should be JP achievement list plus that one(or ignore the fact that co-op achievement exists).
chempop

Post by chempop »

Deathsmiles 3: Valentine's Nightmare

All the lolis are dead, a very pissed off Jitterbug discovers he has a good twin brother named Balboa (both playable characters). They face off against a variety of evil romance and candy themed enemies, 'Zombie Cupids' (arrow attacks), 'Box 'o Hearts' (heart shaped bullet paterns), 'Kisses' (giant mouth & lips that tries to eat you), to name a few. The game would have a horror/love setting, lots of dark unfriendly environments covered with bullets in shades of pink, purple, and red.

:oops:
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

i want sdoj...
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Bananamatic wrote:i want sdoj...
Keep dreaming. Next will be DeathsmIles IIX or even worse... steep slope sliders.
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
NoMaD

Post by NoMaD »

Re-bindable directional inputs :(
MathU

Post by MathU »

I would like a release without DRM this time.
NoMaD wrote:Re-bindable directional inputs :(
Also this. Good lord get it together.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

chempop wrote:Deathsmiles 3: Valentine's Nightmare

All the lolis are dead, a very pissed off Jitterbug discovers he has a good twin brother named Balboa (both playable characters). They face off against a variety of evil romance and candy themed enemies, 'Zombie Cupids' (arrow attacks), 'Box 'o Hearts' (heart shaped bullet paterns), 'Kisses' (giant mouth & lips that tries to eat you), to name a few. The game would have a horror/love setting, lots of dark unfriendly environments covered with bullets in shades of pink, purple, and red.

:oops:
I wanted DS3 to be on MLK day so you could fight Martin Lucifer King, but this makes more sense.

Serious answer: Something new from the 360 version, and yeah configurable directions. I don't personally need it, but there's no good reason not to have it. Also, options regarding slowdown. I don't care how accurate to the PCB it is, I can't stand how slowly the game runs when you go into power-up mode.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Strikers1945guy wrote:
Keep dreaming. Next will be DeathsmIles IIX or even worse... steep slope sliders.
But Steep Slope Sliders is one of CAVE's best games...
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

Well, I'd really like to see an all new mode of some variety. Maybe something based on 2X mode.

How about some new characters? Bring over some of the Mahou Otome characters as a bonus.
KAI

Post by KAI »

New music.
and playable Lei (he is best girl)
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

I want Degica to realize 21:9 monitors exist.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I think I'll not pick this game when released, it's my least fave Cave games. :P
Jenseits

Post by Jenseits »

Lo-Res support or i'll let it pass by like mushihimesama :x
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:Also on the subject of achievements, change the 1.1 achievements to be unlockable in Score Attack as well. Every other achievement could be unlocked in Normal Play or Score Attack, but Score Attack disabled the 1.1 achievements for some reason.
Just remove score attack and make normal mode upload to the leaderboards.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

CStarFlare wrote:
Chaos Phoenixma wrote:Also on the subject of achievements, change the 1.1 achievements to be unlockable in Score Attack as well. Every other achievement could be unlocked in Normal Play or Score Attack, but Score Attack disabled the 1.1 achievements for some reason.
Just remove score attack and make normal mode upload to the leaderboards.
Agreed, separating "normal" and score attack modes seemed pretty pointless in Mushihimesama and I'm not aware of there being any more point to it in Deathsmiles. Just make it so changing settings away from the defaults (or continuing, for that matter) disables leaderboard uploads.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

^ Ikaruga's Steam port is a good example of that.

+1 for fully rebindable controls (such as the pause button)

/Keep up the good work!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

kane wrote: - Non-steam distribution, DRM free of course. (Geez, the entire Degica catalog is available on that certain shmup blog, legally release the damn things without Steam already)
GOG or bust!
Image Image Image Image
RecklessRave

Post by RecklessRave »

I've been trying to think of something that would make me want to buy this when I already have it for my 360, but the only thing that might do it is content from the mobile game, or else something completely new or different, like a new mode or something. I will probably get the soundtrack if it's cheaper than it is on Amazon though.
Chaos Phoenixma

Soundtracks on Steam count as a DLC, and Steam requires you to own the base game to get any DLC. Which makes sense when it's actual game DLC, not so much when it's something like a soundtrack.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Different game.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Captain

Post by Captain »

Rephrase.

Better game.

Also spaceship character.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

MathU wrote:I would like a release without DRM this time.
We all understand your position, but as the resident milestone lover behind Kai, you can't tell me if a Milestone collection came out on steam with all their games included, near perfect ports, fully customizable controls, customizable soundtracks, bonuses, practice modes, etc you wouldn't be the first in line to buy it.

I mean you have to live sometimes MathU regardless of your beliefs
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
x91

Post by x91 »

I suspect what you want will come right after this...
The newer version of Chinese Leaderboard is here! Check it out :>
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Been thinking, in the end only a new exclusive mode done by the skilled shmups-makers at Cave will make me spill some more cash for that license (I have everything Deathsmiles on the JP 360 already).

Mushi was kind of a happening, and it's one of their greatest games so I bought the steam port partly to celebrate, but I will not re-buy all titles a second time without really good reason.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"