Mushihimesama on Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
STG4WD

Mushihimesama on Steam

Post by STG4WD »

This is a 100% dedicated thread for discussing the 5th November 2015 release of Mushihimesama on Steam.

Setting this up as there has so far not been any completely dedicated thread for welcoming new players and discussing the Steam release in detail*

Would be good to hear:

- Thoughts on the Steam release, from new and experienced players
- Questions and answers
- Strategy guide links, tips on strategy for all 3 modes
- Links to the best superplay videos (pref. in hi-res!)
- Any other cool, related stuff.

Please don’t wander off topic, there’s plenty of room elsewhere for that.

Ittekimasu!

*If the mods disagree I am happy for them to nominate the correct thread.
#STG4WD>>
MathU

Re: Mushihimesama on Steam

Post by MathU »

I am very disappointed to hear that CAVE decided to join the ranks of Treasure and MOSS and cripple this game with Steam DRM. Here's hoping for a GOG release in the future. :cry:

This is a pretty depressing precedent and makes me seriously question the future of PC shmup releases.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Satan
Banned User

Post by Satan »

OFFICIAL THREAD
"A bleeding heart welcomes the sharks."
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I asked this in the STG Weekly thread but I figure I should also ask here since there's a dedicated thread now:

Has it been mentioned whether Mushihimesama on Steam will have unlimited credits off the bat, or if it will use the Arika/5pb time-released credit style? I think that STGs released with unlimited credits have hurt public perception of the genre more than anything else in recent memory; unlockable credits should be used to drive the point home that the game is not "beaten" merely by credit feeding all the way through.
ebarrett

Post by ebarrett »

Satan wrote:OFFICIAL THREAD
I like how the positioning of this post implies - perhaps not without reason - that a thread in this site isn't really official until MathU shows up with his usual garbage.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Destructoid posted a front page review of Mushihimesama, giving it a 9: http://www.destructoid.com/review-mushi ... 8273.phtml

Wonder if this will improve publicity in any way...
SMC

Post by SMC »

StarCreator wrote:Has it been mentioned whether Mushihimesama on Steam will have unlimited credits off the bat, or if it will use the Arika/5pb time-released credit style? I think that STGs released with unlimited credits have hurt public perception of the genre more than anything else in recent memory; unlockable credits should be used to drive the point home that the game is not "beaten" merely by credit feeding all the way through.
Since it seems to be mostly a clone of the 360 port I wouldn't count on it.

Continues should be available from the start but disabled by default and required to be off for leaderboard submissions.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

ebarrett wrote:
Satan wrote:OFFICIAL THREAD
I like how the positioning of this post implies - perhaps not without reason - that a thread in this site isn't really official until MathU shows up with his usual garbage.
every thread is official
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

I have a random friend that I don't know on steam that I noticed playing "Mushihimesama" already. I asked him about it and he said that he's a reviewer.
I didn't ask him if he's a curator or what, but pretty interesting if they're giving early access to the game for individiual reviewers.
Has that ever happened with a CAVE game before?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Man, I only get review codes for bad games :(
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

If the unlimited credits feature set from the start, hope we will not see some review complain the game "WEY TU EEAAZZYY" or someting like that.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

If anything there's a far greater likelihood of people dismissing the games as way too hard and impossible/unfair/memorization hell and not even giving the game a try than there is of people credit-feeding and calling it too easy.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
banjoted

Post by banjoted »

I actually managed to interview Cave about the release (interview going up tomorrow or Wednesday) and just had a quick try of the Steam version. My brief (20 minutes) dabble suggested everything is present and correct, although the hitbox isn't displaying (presumably an error - am dropping them a line in a sec). Resolution seems capped at 720p, too. Can go full screen of course but it's upscaled (including the Steam UI). The only review I've seen so far is on Destructoid and they give it a 9/10.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

What I like about MathDRM's crusade is I've never seen the slightest hint of a response to jokes about it or people disagreeing with him.

I believe Degica have made noises about a GoG release, but i'm not certain.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
PepsimanVsJoe

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

Apparently GOG isn't accepting anymore 2D shooters, or they've gotten a lot more stringent, it's not entirely clear.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Blinge wrote:What I like about MathDRM's crusade is I've never seen the slightest hint of a response to jokes about it or people disagreeing with him.
Why would I respond to mean-spirited jokes at my expense? It's always the same shit every time too, attempting to trivialize my grievances and get me to just stop complaining. Insulting and shaming other game enthusiasts who already feel ostracized and want to reclaim their dignity is hardly a good way to start a discussion if you’re actually interested in having it. Should I fling some insults back at them? I want to be taken seriously because I care very deeply about this issue, so I prefer to stay away from that sort of pettiness. I respond to the serious arguments that require refutation and leave it at that.

I certainly didn’t ask to become a pariah around here because of my views on DRM. I would much prefer to mainly talk about shooter mechanics and stuff. But apparently this is what happens when you criticize DRM around a frankly Stockholm Syndrome’d audience. Well I’m sorry if Steam DRM criticism triggers you, but I’m fed up with this bullshit in my hobby and I’m not willing to just sit back and take it while it shits up my favorite genre too now without a fight.
Blinge wrote:I believe Degica have made noises about a GoG release, but i'm not certain.
A shooting fan can hope, I suppose.
PepsimanVsJoe wrote:Apparently GOG isn't accepting anymore 2D shooters, or they've gotten a lot more stringent, it's not entirely clear.
Well that sucks. Why has GOG gotten so strict with game hosting lately? They decided against that top-down shooter Hatred earlier this year too. You'd think they would be happy to include any games they can get.

It doesn't have to be GOG to be DRM-free though.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Another Mushihimesama thread eh?

That will be number 52 to date. Isn't there a dedicated Mushihimesama thread this could go in? The only difference is format.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Blinge wrote:What I like about MathDRM's crusade is I've never seen the slightest hint of a response to jokes about it or people disagreeing with him.
That's because he is 100% right on with his complaining. It's completely valid, yet it gets old hearing it over and over. It's just a case of shooting the messenger.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Can't wait to browse the game's steam forum on launch day, to laugh at all the "meh this should be a dollar" topics from people who wouldn't play it more than five minutes anyway.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I wasn't too impressed by the first Mushi when I played it in Slowpoke Mame a while back. Original Mode is mostly what I like this franchise for, and the level design and bullet patterns in it felt a lot more generic and bland.

But my tastes have evolved a bit since then. I look forward to giving it another shot. Hell, might even like Maniac mode or ultra this time around.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

MathU wrote:
Why would I respond to mean-spirited jokes at my expense?
Haha alright, but *sometimes* the ribbing seems good natured to me.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I totally agree with MathU's points which is why Zenohell has no DRM. Hasn't done us any favors on the pirate market according to a quick Google search but I don't think Steam's DRM would do much to alleviate that either, plus we didn't even have time to implement Steam API features at all so it'd kinda be insulting to do so without actually making use of said API.

We do plan on adding achievements later though, and contrary to some opinions I'm 99% sure you can have Steam API features without the always-online requirement.
DestroyTheCore

Post by DestroyTheCore »

MathU wrote:
Why would I respond to mean-spirited jokes at my expense? It's always the same shit every time too, attempting to trivialize my grievances and get me to just stop complaining. Insulting and shaming other game enthusiasts who already feel ostracized and want to reclaim their dignity is hardly a good way to start a discussion if you’re actually interested in having it. Should I fling some insults back at them? I want to be taken seriously because I care very deeply about this issue, so I prefer to stay away from that sort of pettiness. I respond to the serious arguments that require refutation and leave it at that.

I certainly didn’t ask to become a pariah around here because of my views on DRM. I would much prefer to mainly talk about shooter mechanics and stuff. But apparently this is what happens when you criticize DRM around a frankly Stockholm Syndrome’d audience. Well I’m sorry if Steam DRM criticism triggers you, but I’m fed up with this bullshit in my hobby and I’m not willing to just sit back and take it while it shits up my favorite genre too now without a fight.
Do you have nightmares about DRM and wake up screaming in sweat? Complaining about DRM in every thread that remotely mentions Steam as a platform for shmups won't solve anything and will only contaminate discussions. Quit living in your idealistic retro bubble.
cul

Post by cul »

jepjepjep wrote:
That's because he is 100% right on with his complaining. It's completely valid, yet it gets old hearing it over and over. It's just a case of shooting the messenger.
No he's not. This whole "DRM IS BAD" is parroted ad nauseam by people who don't even know what DRM actually is, so let's state some facts again:

1) It's not because a game is on Steam that it has DRMs.

2) DRMs 99% of the time have no impact whatsoever on the consumer, nothing, null, rien, nada.

3) "DRMs" can only be an issue when a game requires you to be online to play a solo game, which is totally unlikely for a game like Mushihimesama.

4) DRMs are necessary, developers have the right to not have their hard work released on piratebay the day of the release, just to please some ignorant self entitled snowflakes who decided that DRMs are "evil". What does it mean to want games without DRMs? It means games without any kind of protection. It means as soon as the game is released, all MathU has to do, is zip Mushihimesama's folder, torrent it on piratebay, and voilà, brilliant, another great victory against the evil multibillionaire capitalistic corporation that Cave is!

5) Gabe Newel isn't the fifth coming of Satan.

6) Steam is fucking great.

7) The chance that you "lose access to your games" in Steam for arbitrary reasons or because Valve disappears one day is as likely as Google to disappear.

8 ) Yes I'm fucking mad.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I wasn't too impressed by the first Mushi when I played it in Slowpoke Mame a while back. Original Mode is mostly what I like this franchise for, and the level design and bullet patterns in it felt a lot more generic and bland.

But my tastes have evolved a bit since then. I look forward to giving it another shot. Hell, might even like Maniac mode or ultra this time around.
stage 1 is kind of bland. stage 2 is learning how to properly milk the nana bushes. stage 3 is an all out assault against the largest bug in the universe, and a fun 1-up. stage 4 is probably the most beautiful, atmospheric level in any cave game. and learning how to maneuver through the dragonfles at the end of the level is extremely satisfying. stage 5 is where the game really hits it's stride. fun bullet curtains. the pitcher plants spewing zako and bullets. and the hell gauntlet after the midboss. mushi original is a really fun mode, but is crippled by the almost nonexistant, extremely unbalanced scoring ( spare lives are worth 10 mil each at the clear).

so play original just to learn the games layout. then move on to arrange. so much fun, and has that great futari black philosophy, where you can push yourself harder and score higher. point blanking the bosses to jack up your multiplier is a great touch as well.
STG4WD

Post by STG4WD »

Jeneki wrote:Can't wait to browse the game's steam forum on launch day, to laugh at all the "meh this should be a dollar" topics from people who wouldn't play it more than five minutes anyway.
Wouldn't the more constructive approach be for one of us to start a Steam Forum topic and promote the game, the culture of 1CC and this forum?
#STG4WD>>
STG4WD

Post by STG4WD »

DestroyTheCore wrote: Do you have nightmares about DRM and wake up screaming in sweat? Complaining about DRM in every thread that remotely mentions Steam as a platform for shmups won't solve anything and will only contaminate discussions. Quit living in your idealistic retro bubble.
THIS WHOLE DRM CHAT IS NOT ENTIRELY ON-TOPIC, AND I WISH PEEPS WOULD TAKE IT ELSEWHERE.

IT HAS *ZERO* RELEVANCE TO ANY NEW PLAYERS VISITING WHO ALREADY BOUGHT THE GAME ON STEAM.
#STG4WD>>
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

cul wrote:
jepjepjep wrote:
No he's not. This whole "DRM IS BAD" is parroted ad nauseam by people who don't even know what DRM actually is, so let's state some facts again:

1) It's not because a game is on Steam that it has DRMs.

2) DRMs 99% of the time have no impact whatsoever on the consumer, nothing, null, rien, nada.

3) "DRMs" can only be an issue when a game requires you to be online to play a solo game, which is totally unlikely for a game like Mushihimesama.

4) DRMs are necessary, developers have the right to not have their hard work released on piratebay the day of the release, just to please some ignorant self entitled snowflakes who decided that DRMs are "evil". What does it mean to want games without DRMs? It means games without any kind of protection. It means as soon as the game is released, all MathU has to do, is zip Mushihimesama's folder, torrent it on piratebay, and voilà, brilliant, another great victory against the evil multibillionaire capitalistic corporation that Cave is!

5) Gabe Newel isn't the fifth coming of Satan.

6) Steam is fucking great.

7) The chance that you "lose access to your games" in Steam for arbitrary reasons or because Valve disappears one day is as likely as Google to disappear.

8 ) Yes I'm fucking mad.
This.

I've been using Steam since 2006 and I've never had a single issue with Steam DRM. Seriously, never.

Who here remembers World of Goo? I do. It was released DRM free and about 90% of it's users pirated it. The company went out of business because of this. Steam DRM is completely unintrusive and I have literally no idea why people seem to think that at any moment steam might suddenly cease to exist and all their games will be lost.

Seriously people, come on.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
SMC

Post by SMC »

There's nothing wrong with Original scoring if you ignore the clear bonus. A 66mil run is a much, MUCH better run than a 62 mil one.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

SMC wrote:There's nothing wrong with Original scoring if you ignore the clear bonus. A 66mil run is a much, MUCH better run than a 62 mil one.
Absolutely true, but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't feel very rewarding to push the game so much harder and get such a miniscule improvement in score. At least imo. Having 50 mil as the no miss bonus is just totally lopsided. Bizarrely enough, I think the game would feel more rewarding to me if the end bonus was only 1 million per life. We would then be talking about the difference between a 17 mil and a 22 mil run, but that sounds like a much bigger improvement relatively.

Or maybe I'm just salty that I haven't managed a no-miss in the game :evil: