Mushihimesama on Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Squire Grooktook

Re: Mushihimesama on Steam

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Skykid wrote:
Does it have more content?
No.
The base game (ie not Black Label) has 4 "ships" instead of the originals 3 powers. Not a huge boost, but IMO the 4 ships also play significantly differently from eachother. Mushi is basically just choosing how wide your shot is and how fast your ship is. Futari has a lot more going on to me with Abnormal Reco's reverse focus homing shennanigans or Palm's adjustable shot width.

I suppose it could be argued that Futari also has more content seeing as how Original Mode in the base game of Mushi has basically no scoring, whereas Futari's is at least solid.
Skykid wrote:
Is the soundtrack arguably better?
No.
Ha ha, not being arguable is a stretch. I'd take the stage 4 and 5 themes in Futari over basically everything in Mushi.

I overall like Futari slightly better as a game, because I'm more a fan of fast, sparse patterns. Which means original mode is really the only thing I care about in either game. And Futari's original mode is much better developed IMO. Better level layouts, bosses, ships, scoring, flow, etc.

That being said I'm not a huge fan of either games since, fast bullets or not, they're both ultimately micro tap city, and I prefer more fast movement and macro dodging. Fun stuff but not totally to my tastes.
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
SMC

Post by SMC »

Squire Grooktook wrote: seeing as how Original Mode in the base game of Mushi has basically no scoring
I'm sure Clover-YMN would disagree with you there
dosu

Post by dosu »

Is the rapid shot and rapid auto buttons really needed for 1cc or anything? If not what's the usual cabinet layout for this game?

Shot, Bomb, Rapid
Arrange? x x

3 buttons on top 1 on the bottom?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

For the Ultra TLB you're probably going to need to make use of the "super shot" trick which IIRC is done by holding C and tapping A rapidly, netting you more damage than either C or A alone. Other than that though you don't need to worry about the autofire buttons if you're not trying to score.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
dosu

Post by dosu »

Thanks, yeah not real interested in high score just 1cc.
cstle

Post by cstle »

So what's the final verdict on this port after all the patches? Did they make it equal to the 360 version yet?

Kinda tempted by the sale but the messiness put me off since I own the 360 version anyways. I'd like a more convenient version though.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

its fucking shit
missing slowdown and input delay
don't bother, buy battle traverse on dlsite
you can thank me later
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

If you have the 360 version already there's not much point, that's probably the best port you're going to get. Buy Crimzon Clover or Mecha Ritz instead.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
cstle

Post by cstle »

Thanks, $12 I can put toward something else.

I'm assuming the Deathsmiles port is just as bad? I never really kept up with the PC releases since I have a J360, but it'd be nice if I could box it up and minimize the amount of plastic boxes hooked up. Looks like that isn't happening though.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

From what I hear the Deathsmiles port has no slowdown whatsoever. At least the Mushi port has slowdown, even if it's not completely accurate.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
endoKarb

Post by endoKarb »

Bananamatic wrote:missing slowdown and input delay
input delay should go away if you disable vsync. It looks like shit after that though.
cstle wrote:I'm assuming the Deathsmiles port is just as bad? I never really kept up with the PC releases since I have a J360, but it'd be nice if I could box it up and minimize the amount of plastic boxes hooked up. Looks like that isn't happening though.
The Deathsmiles port is a lot worse. There's slow down missing all over the place making it almost unplayable.
"Compendaria res improbitas, virtus longa."
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

endoKarb wrote:
input delay should go away if you disable vsync. It looks like shit after that though.
vsync is off
I tried turning it on to see the difference and the controls turned from awful to pig disgusting
possibly worse than MAME
endoKarb

Post by endoKarb »

Bananamatic wrote:
endoKarb wrote:
vsync is off
I tried turning it on to see the difference and the controls turned from awful to pig disgusting
possibly worse than MAME
well that's depressing
"Compendaria res improbitas, virtus longa."
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Shepardus wrote:From what I hear the Deathsmiles port has no slowdown whatsoever.
It's only MBL 1.1 that's missing all the slowdown. All the rest of the game modes have it.
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
Shepardus wrote:From what I hear the Deathsmiles port has no slowdown whatsoever.
It's only MBL 1.1 that's missing all the slowdown. All the rest of the game modes have it.
lmao they still didnt fix that
or better yet, they never bothered to begin with
maco

Post by maco »

That's disappointing. After a long hiatus, I was looking at getting back into shmups, after I put together a new PC, by getting the steam versions of Mushihimesama and Deathsmiles.
How bad is the input lag, because the PS2 version had input lag too, which while being annoying, I managed to deal with?
The Armchair General

Post by The Armchair General »

How bad is the input lag, because the PS2 version had input lag too, which while being annoying, I managed to deal with?
Why is it that shmups seem have input lag so often? Or CAVE just not know how to program games anymore?
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

maco wrote:That's disappointing. After a long hiatus, I was looking at getting back into shmups, after I put together a new PC, by getting the steam versions of Mushihimesama and Deathsmiles.
I don't have deathsmiles but mushi is more than fine for me and I have never touched any video or vsync settings other than stretching the screen a bit.
ardiel

Post by ardiel »

I'm trying hard to notice the input lag but I just can't see it. There might be like a frame of lag but I can't even tell for sure. But maybe this is just me.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I'd say it's about as bad as sdoj on 360, maybe a bit better, so if you think there is nothing wrong with sdoj you'll probably have no issues
it feels way different compared to when I watch videos of the game and the controls feels kinda heavy/inconsistent, though not as much as in sdoj
compared to mushi, watching videos of futari and thinking what it should feel like corresponds to what the game actually plays like

you probably don't really feel input lag at first, I played touhou without vsync patches for a good month before I read somewhere that there's massive input lag, didn't really figure it out on my own

spend a couple hundred hours playing the futari port on 0 lag setting on a crt, then you'll feel the minor lag even in 360 daifukkatsu and shmupmame
ardiel

Post by ardiel »

Bananamatic wrote:I'd say it's about as bad as sdoj on 360, maybe a bit better, so if you think there is nothing wrong with sdoj you'll probably have no issues
it feels way different compared to when I watch videos of the game and the controls feels kinda heavy/inconsistent, though not as much as in sdoj
compared to mushi, watching videos of futari and thinking what it should feel like corresponds to what the game actually plays like

you probably don't really feel input lag at first, I played touhou without vsync patches for a good month before I read somewhere that there's massive input lag, didn't really figure it out on my own

spend a couple hundred hours playing the futari port on 0 lag setting on a crt, then you'll feel the minor lag even in 360 daifukkatsu and shmupmame
Actually with more testing I notice some lag on my keyboard, but not with my controller.

I turned on the onscreen control display and tested it. With my controller the stick on the screen moves exactly with my stick. With my keyboard it lags a few frames behind.
KoopaTGR

Post by KoopaTGR »

Do you use a wireless keyboard?
ardiel

Post by ardiel »

KoopaTGR wrote:Do you use a wireless keyboard?
No. It's actually a USB mech gaming keyboard. Actually it works fine on Touhou for example, because I tested EoSD as a comparison.

Edit:
Also I do have the vpatch for EoSD. I don't notice a huge input difference. It just smooths the frame rate out for me.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Well I lived through 7 frames of input delay on Guardian Force, so how bad could Mushi be here?
doom_

Post by doom_ »

I have been playing steam-mushi for a while now and I have nothing to complain about. If you are used to other versions of the game, it could be the case that the slowdown is weird at times. but at least the modes I played were all very playable and fun (mainly normal-original and normal-maniac). I didn't notice any input lag too. I am a rather casual player and I think for my kind the port is superb. Cannot speak for the hardcore audience or people that played the PCB of course.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

I was surprised that people were complaining about this port so much. To be fair for me the only alternative is not playing the game, it's not like I'm worrying about triple-dipping or whatever. But the game is still an absolute blast, and having it on steam feels soooo sweet.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

doom_ wrote:I have been playing steam-mushi for a while now and I have nothing to complain about. If you are used to other versions of the game, it could be the case that the slowdown is weird at times. but at least the modes I played were all very playable and fun (mainly normal-original and normal-maniac). I didn't notice any input lag too. I am a rather casual player and I think for my kind the port is superb. Cannot speak for the hardcore audience or people that played the PCB of course.
Quoted for emphasis. With vsync off, it is very responsive and controls fine. My video card's vysnc adds a frame or two of input lag, but theirs adds like 3 or 4. Don't use their software vsync. Otherwise the game is fine and well worth the money. I think it's the best shmup on Steam. Forgot to quote this:
Bananamatic wrote:its fucking shit
missing slowdown and input delay
don't bother, buy battle traverse on dlsite
you can thank me later
LOL
CKR

Post by CKR »

I use my 120fps camera on my ipod touch and the CMV pro app to test for input lag. I also have a gsync monitor and Mushihimesama performs very well. It has around 3 frames of input lag with gsync on. So my advice would be to enable vsync via the control panel, disable vsync, or use a gsync monitor.

I have also tested the 360 port for Akai Katana. It has around five frames of lag. I am adding this test result to give you guys a base line. My opinion is that 5 frames or less is good enough for me. 6 is OK, and anything above this is inexcusable. What it comes down to is that I am OK with anything under 100 milliseconds.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

if you willingly add 2 frames of input lag on top of a shmup that definitely isn't lagless and then claim it's fine, then your opinion on responsivity is invalid

been playing with the options all day, vsync off in .ini and video card settings, prerendered frames set to 0, smoothing off, tried both with gedosato and without, controls always feel awkward, the slowdown feels really erratic at times and overall whenever it slows down it's like the game starts frame skipping
CKR wrote: I have also tested the 360 port for Akai Katana. It has around five frames of lag. I am adding this test result to give you guys a base line. My opinion is that 5 frames or less is good enough for me. 6 is OK, and anything above this is inexcusable. What it comes down to is that I am OK with anything under 100 milliseconds.
Could you test futari 360 on the different lag settings and sdoj?

according to what I found on the forum, batrider in mame has 3-4 frames which is noticeable enough to turn people off - and it's not even a bullet hell
3 frames in mushi ultra with the inconsistent slowdown is pretty damn bad when you need to make really accurate dodges, or god forbid 1.5 ultra where the slowdown is even less consistent

if you add stuttering on top of that you end up with a game that plays like shit
CKR

Post by CKR »

Bananamatic, I will be able to test them in the future. I recently decided to re-purchase an xbox 360, and I will give you those results at that time.

Also, please keep in mind that I am using a Dell S2716DG monitor. Depending on which monitor you use, you could have more or less lag.
Last edited by CKR on Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.