Mushihimesama on Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ardiel

Re: Mushihimesama on Steam

Post by ardiel »

I find it interesting that you can't seem to react faster yet somehow notice that the reaction has a delay which is 5 times shorter than your reaction time.

I also believe that the supposed average response time which is thrown around is a myth which probably originated from competitive running. In running if you start sooner than 100ms of the gun being fired, it's considered a false start and you can be disqualified if you do it a second time. Sprinters quite often have a reaction time of .14 to .15 but you have to consider two factors:

1. They have to worry about accidentally starting too quickly. There have been times where a runner gets a false start and then everyone slows down substantially because they don't want to be disqualified.

2. Sound takes time to travel - some times up to half the reaction time is actually the sound traveling, so when the runner responds, his reaction may actually be substantially faster than the measured time because he is responding to when he hears the shot, not when the shot was fired.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Clearly ardiel is some kind of demigod who can 100% every Pop'n Music song at Hi-Speed x6 with all the ojama turned on at once.

"Hidden, Sudden, Dance, and Panic? No prob dude I have a reaction time of 4 frames"
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

It doesn't matter how fast or slow your reactions are, input lag slows down your response time. Sure, maybe you could have reacted faster to make up for the delay, but you could have done that without the input lag too. Just because you can doesn't mean you will, otherwise we'd be clearing every shmup on our first try. It's like being told the passing score for an exam is 70% but we're going to subtract 15% from your score for no good reason. Of course if you score 100% you pass either way, but if you score between 70 and 85% you're going to feel cheated, regardless of whether you could have avoided losing that 15-30%. How fast a human can theoretically react has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Put another way, in bullet hell games the player's movement speed is often faster than that of many of the bullets. Say you move three pixels per frame. Three frames of input lag means that you move an extra nine pixels after you release the movement button/stick. That's nine pixels you have to correct for when judging when to stop moving, or else run into the wall of bullets you were trying to graze. Regardless of whether you can adapt to that, it feels like trudging through molasses and can absolutely make a difference.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
cul

Post by cul »

Squire Grooktook is right on every account.
ardiel

Post by ardiel »

Edit:

Forget it. Just ignore me and I'll stop talking. It's pointless to do otherwise.
Emma

Post by Emma »

Is there any way to fix a broken replay? I 1cc'd Maniac today and the replay goes out of sync at the stage 2 boss.
I already played around with the vsync settings but it seems to do nothing. :(

Another problem is that I didn't get the "Maniac Master" achievement which is a bit weird since I've played in score attack. (all clear shows up on the leaderboard) Anyone else had problems with achievements not unlocking?

Edit:
I'm not really sure, but it looks like I fixed the problem with the achievement by enabling the Steam overlay.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Bananamatic, have you tried updating to the latest version? I could be mistaken, but your complaints sound more like how the game ran pre-patch.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

cul wrote:Squire Grooktook is right on every account.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Had a funny experience with apparent lag in this game. I loaded it up and out of nowhere the controls had gone to shit. It was like the game had inertia! Fortunately it wasn't the lag devil, I'd just set my arcade stick to correspond to the analogue stick of a controller. The game must handle this differently from dpad input.

So yeah, something to watch out for if you have control issues with this game.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

BrianC wrote:Bananamatic, have you tried updating to the latest version? I could be mistaken, but your complaints sound more like how the game ran pre-patch.
latest version, vsync forced off both in graphics settings and ingame, tried stick and keyboard, fps shows 60, flip queue size in ATI settings set to 0

it just feels like shit compared to pre-cv1k cave games in mame and every doujin ever made

i'm going to buy the dfk port on steam just to see if it's the same shit as the 360 version feels laggy to me too
$10 i'll get people telling me it's fine again
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

interesting discussion on input lag
the input lag just makes the controls feel like shit and it's hard to properly move where you want
it becomes even more noticeable when the game slows down which happens a lot in harder modes
Bananamatic makes the point about input lag making the controls feel like shit and making accurate movements more difficult. I find that to be the biggest problem too. Even though you have a hard time seeing 1-2 frames, I find that you can feel it in the controls. I took a biorobotics class several years ago that talked about how your brain and muscles operate with both a prediction step (predicting where you will move your arm, for example), and a correction step (your eyes give your brain feedback to correct where exactly your arm ends up).

This is where input lag messes you up. The delay between the feedback loop of your eyes/brain and the corrective step makes it difficult. It makes sense that during heavy slowdowns if the input lag in inconsistent and varying, your brain's built-in feedback control loop will be wrong and the controls will feel inconsistent.

This also explains why the more you practice, you get used to the movement and input lag becomes less of a problem. The more you play, your brain gets better at the predictive step.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Input lag can feel a lot like inertia. It's a bit more controllable than actual inertia and you can technically learn to deal with it, but it feels terrible and less enjoyable for much the same reason as inertia.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
clippa

Post by clippa »

Does completing arrange mode without chinning the TLB count as a 1cc? I got the "arrange 100%" achievement.
I was like "Yay! Finally! ... aw, who's this prick?" and died almost instantly.

Edit: Aw, there's another achievement "Arrange Master - Complete Arrange mode with no continues."

So I'm guessing that doesn't count as a 1cc. Bugger, oh well, I may as well move on to maniac then, that seems more doable.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

There's also "Arrange 120%".
nZero

Post by nZero »

So search was giving me 500 topics and none relevant to what I wanted to ask, so hopefully this isn't a repeat question:

Are the Steam or Switch releases of Mushi just straight clones of the 360 Mushihimesama HD release, or have they actually improved the practice/training mode options to allow you to start at a boss?
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

nZero wrote:So search was giving me 500 topics and none relevant to what I wanted to ask, so hopefully this isn't a repeat question:

Are the Steam or Switch releases of Mushi just straight clones of the 360 Mushihimesama HD release, or have they actually improved the practice/training mode options to allow you to start at a boss?
Well, you can start at boss in 360 port too.
davyK

Post by davyK »

The steam ports seem to be more or less the 360 ports when it comes to the menus and features.
Lander

Post by Lander »

The only notably lacking thing in practice mode that I've found is the inability to start midway through Stage 3, on account of its mid-boss being an environmental hazard. Actual stage bosses are all directly practiceable though.